2024 Preseason Camp Thread | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Preseason Camp Thread

does anyone know who is going to return punts and kickoffs other than Pena

The camp reports are enlightening. It kind of seems we have two reasonable contenders for the #2 QB slot. I'm thinking it's the first time we've had real competition at QB in a while. Johnson, Jr. could well be a decent backup and CDRW should be better this year than last. The WR room is very deep for a team that may run the ball a lot. We have a great group of TE's. Do we have enough kickers? We have the largest humans along the OL that I can remember for an SU team, and we actually can field a two deep on the OL for the first time in over a decade. We also have some Defensive players that could dominate. They'll need to at times. It surely looks like we have more playmakers than we've had in a long time, but we'll see how that works out fairly soon.

As an old fart fan, I'm very encouraged overall. Fran has brought hope, a bunch of talented kids, and what appears to be a good slate of experienced coaches that believe in him. The goals are lofty, but there's a chance for a great year if the team and coaches can execute as well as their abilities should allow. However, we don't operate in a vacuum. We play several teams that could be very good as well. Can we win those big games? My take is yes, especially for the big games at the dome. Effort won't be enough, but I choose to believe, with some evidence, that we're going to execute well throughout. ThIs DART thing has meaning to these guys. I'd love to be able to prove the doubters wrong...

I just signed up for axes 3.99 a month deal. I think it’ll be worth the videos, immediate insights etc. as I’m a rabid fan and need my fix lol
Thanks. Can you post the link?

does anyone know who is going to return punts and kickoffs other than Pena
Just based off of highlight skills displayed I could certainly see the freshman Ross being in the mix as a kick returner. Malachi James possibly as well with that speed obviously. At punt returner Ja’meer thomas definitely seems like he could fit that roll as shifty and explosive but he would certainly be a back-up considering he is a true freshman who was not here in the spring. PR seems too high pressure and is a job under a lot of duress for a true freshman to instill enough confidence in the staff that quickly. Especially when we have Peña.

Attachments

• IMG_0396.jpeg
    IMG_0396.jpeg
    15.6 KB · Views: 41
Great post. Thanks for the info.

Can we talk about the secondary depth chart in a little more depth?

I am curious as to who is playing where these days. I

We have established that we have 5 defensive back positions in this defense

Star
Strong safety (border safety)
Free safety
Boundary corner
Field corner

Who is playing where right now? I understand some players are being moved around, probably mostly the frosh, but

This is what I think. Where am I wrong? And what positions are the guys I have no position assigned to workong out at?

Star: Barron, Gould
Strong safety: Clark, Buxton
Free safety: Chestnut, Long?
Boundary corner: Grant, Lewis, Washington?
Field corner: Bellamy, Barnes, DeLaine

Kerr, McDaniels, Perry Martin?

Can we at least confirm who is working at boundary CB and who at field cornerback?

The “depth” appears to be very fluid. Players are being used at different positions almost daily.

Chestnut has been out so I heard players have been moving around all week. Buxton, Gould, Perry and others have all where Chestnut was. It’s not just young guys who are being moved and playing different positions. The more (positions) you know, the more valuable you are to the team and the better chance you have of getting on the field. The coaches want to get the best players in the field.

The Star position seems loaded to me; Barron, Gould and Washington. Washington continues to improve as he learns the defense. Improvements like his allow coaches to move other around to explore fits. Coaches like Gould at Star but as Washington improves they can afford to see Gould at the other safety positions too.

Long continues to play well but coaches may be concerned with his size (176 lbs?) so players like Buxton (6’2”, 200 lbs) and Gould (6’2”, 209 lbs) and Martin (6’2”, 192 lbs.) are getting looks at various positions. This ain’t 7on7 baby. Size matters when it gets physical. That’s not to say Long can’t be physical, but his size could be a concern.

The coaches like Kerr so he’s probably getting more reps than he deserves as he learns. Coaches want to see what he can do.

The corners who are battling to start are Grant, Lewis, Bellamy and Barnes. Behind that group appears to be Delaine and McDaniels (great frame, but learning the scheme).

It seems to be very fluid. If you want to play, stay healthy and perform. We have some great athletes who will continue to perform better as they learn what appears to be a complicated defensive scheme. The more the players know and understand, the more the coaches can do with the scheme.

The scrimmage today is a chance for players to show what they can do. Lots of internal competition, which is very good for us and our development.

Good luck to all.

Go Orange - stay healthy!

The “depth” appears to be very fluid. Players are being used at different positions almost daily.

Chestnut has been out so I heard players have been moving around all week. Buxton, Gould, Perry and others have all where Chestnut was. It’s not just young guys who are being moved and playing different positions. The more (positions) you know, the more valuable you are to the team and the better chance you have of getting on the field. The coaches want to get the best players in the field.

The Star position seems loaded to me; Barron, Gould and Washington. Washington continues to improve as he learns the defense. Improvements like his allow coaches to move other around to explore fits. Coaches like Gould at Star but as Washington improves they can afford to see Gould at the other safety positions too.

Long continues to play well but coaches may be concerned with his size (176 lbs?) so players like Buxton (6’2”, 200 lbs) and Gould (6’2”, 209 lbs) and Martin (6’2”, 192 lbs.) are getting looks at various positions. This ain’t 7on7 baby. Size matters when it gets physical. That’s not to say Long can’t be physical, but his size could be a concern.

The coaches like Kerr so he’s probably getting more reps than he deserves as he learns. Coaches want to see what he can do.

The corners who are battling to start are Grant, Lewis, Bellamy and Barnes. Behind that group appears to be Delaine and McDaniels (great frame, but learning the scheme).

It seems to be very fluid. If you want to play, stay healthy and perform. We have some great athletes who will continue to perform better as they learn what appears to be a complicated defensive scheme. The more the players know and understand, the more the coaches can do with the scheme.

The scrimmage today is a chance for players to show what they can do. Lots of internal competition, which is very good for us and our development.

Good luck to all.

Go Orange - stay healthy!
Man there's been so much roster turnover I completely forgot about Washington, it's nice having a 4 star Georgia/Lousiville guy as depth

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom