2024 Preseason Camp Thread | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Preseason Camp Thread

So, nothing out of Fridays practice or the scrimmage. Only thing from SU is five female athlete profiles, which is fine, nothing about football.

nothing on Syracuse.com
Scrimmages are always closed. We’ll probably learn more from Frans press conference this week.

Scrimmages are always closed. We’ll probably learn more from Frans press conference this week.
Ok Mr one year.

There was practice on Friday and it looks like McCord at least talked to the media, the school hasn’t posted anything.

Some information usually comes out of scrimmages.

Ok Mr one year.

There was practice on Friday and it looks like McCord at least talked to the media, the school hasn’t posted anything.

Some information usually comes out of scrimmages.
FYI, wasn’t attacking you by any means, just stating that media doesn’t usually get invited to scrimmages and that Coach Fran will probably have a press conference this week and be asked about it.

Some interesting stuff in those post practice spots. Radical depasture from no playbook to an nfl style offense.

multiple looks on defense relying on the players to read and adjust - something , complexity level up

Just a reminder...ACC Network will be in Syracuse Monday 8/12 to broadcast from Syracuse Training Camp from 6pm to 7 pm on the ACC Network.
Looks like the documentary show's first episode is right after as well.

complex usually doesnt go well.
It may be a case of practicing and implementing the full catalogue of fronts, blitzes, and coverages during fall camp. Then on a weekly basis based on self scout and opponent scouting, choosing a more limited selection of those options for plays to signal in and plays to check to.

So fall camp might be as “complex” as the defence is going to be. No team ever really has their “full playbook” on the menu for a given opponent.

But, as is often the case, I could be wrong.

Some interesting stuff in those post practice spots. Radical depasture from no playbook to an nfl style offense.

multiple looks on defense relying on the players to read and adjust - something , complexity level up
I don't know. "Read" implies they are reacting... I'd rather the players play downhill and stay aggressive. Even back in John Madden '92 on the old SNES, I never picked a read-and-react play because it was too passive.

This was my first thought as well about both the offense and defense after listening to a couple of the player interviews. Let's just hope it doesn't take a half a season to figure out. Players need to be able to play without thinking.

One thing about practicing and using DART is that maybe kids take it to heart and learn the proper techniques to do the plays as designed and not get as confused.

Less distractions and maybe more attention to detail in living in isolation as well.

This not a group of coaches who don't understand what these kids can and can't do at the level they are at.

Some good nuggets in those interviews, especially Alijah's. He mentions a number of guys to look out for in the defensive backfield this year. Always interesting to hear the first 2 names mentioned when a player gets asked a question about other players on the team

Also how versatile the defense is ...it sounds like it can morph as needed. And make no mistake, that was exactly what Tony White's 3-3-5 could do. So we'll see some different formations

Didn't the TE coach Gerg brought in for the first year of his regime install a pretty sophisticated offense?

Absolute train wreck. Granted the talent on the field also stunk - but what a horrific year that was. Pariani I believe.

Lots of parts to a complicated offense.

is it hard to explain
is it hard to practice
is it hard to visualize?
is it complicated across all the levels from oline to qb to wrs to rbs ?

until we see it no idea on what the new things they are doing mean

We have an experienced QB
We have all the new TECH to get into the proper sets and the ipads to see in real time the mistakes.

Didn't the TE coach Gerg brought in for the first year of his regime install a pretty sophisticated offense?

Absolute train wreck. Granted the talent on the field also stunk - but what a horrific year that was. Pariani I believe.
It was the west coast offense and it was Brian Pariani. I dont think anything that coaching stuff did was complicated.

It was the west coast offense and it was Brian Pariani. I dont think anything that coaching stuff did was complicated.
I don't believe Brian had ever been an offensive coordinator.

The offense he chose to implement was particularly badly suited to the personnel he inherited.

And he was extremely bady suited to the job of offensive coordinator.

The GRob era of Syracuse football was an unmitigated and historic disaster. Arguably the worst hire in the history in recorded history. I believe it is studied in business schools as a case study in what not to do.

But of all the awful sub-decisions Daryl Gross and Greg Robinson made, the decision to hire Brian Pariani as the offensive coordinator was probably the worst.

In my opinion. I could be wrong. But I am pretty sure I am not.

I don't believe Brian had ever been an offensive coordinator.

The offense he chose to implement was particularly badly suited to the personnel he inherited.

And he was extremely bady suited to the job of offensive coordinator.

The GRob era of Syracuse football was an unmitigated and historic disaster. Arguably the worst hire in the history in recorded history. I believe it is studied in business schools as a case study in what not to do.

But of all the awful sub-decisions Daryl Gross and Greg Robinson made, the decision to hire Brian Pariani as the offensive coordinator was probably the worst.

In my opinion. I could be wrong. But I am pretty sure I am not.
As I recall, Robinson offered the OC position to another assistant on the Broncos staff. I think it was the QB coach ( who at the time I think was Gary Kubiak ) but I could be wrong. Whoever it was turned it down and Pariani was a fallback option. Robinson never had a plan in place for assistants and ended up putting together a staff that rivaled the Dodgeball team that Vince Vaughn put together. What a dark time in an Orange fan's life it was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom