2024 Preseason Camp Thread | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Preseason Camp Thread

The “depth” appears to be very fluid. Players are being used at different positions almost daily.

Chestnut has been out so I heard players have been moving around all week. Buxton, Gould, Perry and others have all where Chestnut was. It’s not just young guys who are being moved and playing different positions. The more (positions) you know, the more valuable you are to the team and the better chance you have of getting on the field. The coaches want to get the best players in the field.

The Star position seems loaded to me; Barron, Gould and Washington. Washington continues to improve as he learns the defense. Improvements like his allow coaches to move other around to explore fits. Coaches like Gould at Star but as Washington improves they can afford to see Gould at the other safety positions too.

Long continues to play well but coaches may be concerned with his size (176 lbs?) so players like Buxton (6’2”, 200 lbs) and Gould (6’2”, 209 lbs) and Martin (6’2”, 192 lbs.) are getting looks at various positions. This ain’t 7on7 baby. Size matters when it gets physical. That’s not to say Long can’t be physical, but his size could be a concern.

The coaches like Kerr so he’s probably getting more reps than he deserves as he learns. Coaches want to see what he can do.

The corners who are battling to start are Grant, Lewis, Bellamy and Barnes. Behind that group appears to be Delaine and McDaniels (great frame, but learning the scheme).

It seems to be very fluid. If you want to play, stay healthy and perform. We have some great athletes who will continue to perform better as they learn what appears to be a complicated defensive scheme. The more the players know and understand, the more the coaches can do with the scheme.

The scrimmage today is a chance for players to show what they can do. Lots of internal competition, which is very good for us and our development.

Good luck to all.

Go Orange - stay healthy!
Any concern about Deuce being ready for Ohio?

The “depth” appears to be very fluid. Players are being used at different positions almost daily.

Chestnut has been out so I heard players have been moving around all week. Buxton, Gould, Perry and others have all where Chestnut was. It’s not just young guys who are being moved and playing different positions. The more (positions) you know, the more valuable you are to the team and the better chance you have of getting on the field. The coaches want to get the best players in the field.

The Star position seems loaded to me; Barron, Gould and Washington. Washington continues to improve as he learns the defense. Improvements like his allow coaches to move other around to explore fits. Coaches like Gould at Star but as Washington improves they can afford to see Gould at the other safety positions too.

Long continues to play well but coaches may be concerned with his size (176 lbs?) so players like Buxton (6’2”, 200 lbs) and Gould (6’2”, 209 lbs) and Martin (6’2”, 192 lbs.) are getting looks at various positions. This ain’t 7on7 baby. Size matters when it gets physical. That’s not to say Long can’t be physical, but his size could be a concern.

The coaches like Kerr so he’s probably getting more reps than he deserves as he learns. Coaches want to see what he can do.

The corners who are battling to start are Grant, Lewis, Bellamy and Barnes. Behind that group appears to be Delaine and McDaniels (great frame, but learning the scheme).

It seems to be very fluid. If you want to play, stay healthy and perform. We have some great athletes who will continue to perform better as they learn what appears to be a complicated defensive scheme. The more the players know and understand, the more the coaches can do with the scheme.

The scrimmage today is a chance for players to show what they can do. Lots of internal competition, which is very good for us and our development.

Good luck to all.

Go Orange - stay healthy!
Iron sharpens iron. Love to hear about the competition.

GIF by Giphy QA
Y’all got any of them scrimmage tidbits?!

Looks like Spoon's the starting Left Tackle. He's a beast with a beastly attitude. I hope he can stop a good spin move.
If anyone makes the mistake of beating him once, I hope the next play is Willis right behind Spoon as he pancakes the guy and Willis runs over the top of both of them.
That's hard nosed football, put fear in your opponents.

Did all the kids get ice cream after practice?

Hastings is listed at 294lbs, and Witherspoon just controlled him, even on the better rep for Hastings.

This reminded me to look at Hastings as a recruit... He was listed as a top200 overall player and top20 defensive lineman coming out of high school. Then he had two years competing at Alabama.

Yeah, Big Spoon might be the real deal.

Hastings is listed at 294lbs, and Witherspoon just controlled him, even on the better rep for Hastings.

This reminded me to look at Hastings as a recruit... He was listed as a top200 overall player and top20 defensive lineman coming out of high school. Then he had two years competing at Alabama.

In a real game the defensive player can move around him, this was just a drill but good he cant be bull rushed and will run block well.

Yup. They were evaluated by people at age 17 and 18. HS rankings means nothing once you hit campus and put a few years into a college program.

Yeah a stalemate is a win for the defender. The drill allows you to see who can maintain their gap. It also exposes bad technique from the O lineman
I didn't see any stalemates... I saw a pancake and Hastings go backwards at least a yard.

Hard to say what we actually have in Hastings, other than pedigree. But I'd like to think he's a decent player and Witherspoon dominating him is a good sign, rather than demonstrating a lack of quality competition.

I didn't see any stalemates... I saw a pancake and Hastings go backwards at least a yard.

Hard to say what we actually haha in Hastings, but it's like to think he's a decent player and Witherspoon dominating him is a good sign. Rather than demonstrating a lack of competition.
I wasn't talking about those specific reps. I was just giving an explanation of the drill.

Hard to say what we actually have in Hastings, other than pedigree. But I'd like to think he's a decent player and Witherspoon dominating him is a good sign, rather than demonstrating a lack of quality competition.
I don’t think he meant that engagement was a stalemate … he means it’s not a true reflection of the DLs capabilities and his point is the DLs job is to push but a stalemate is an equally acceptable outcome and still a win for the defender due to the nature of the drill. Unless I interpreted him wrong.

I’m no football coach, but to me this drill is just reps of bigs on both sides going at it trying to get push on one another in a box seeing who is more powerful and working on leverage. I see it sort of as an offensive run play. The defender isn’t trying to get around him but hold his position. The O-lineman is trying to drive him back which he did just a little bit. This is what you would expect to happen with the size differential between them. Offensively Spoon probably typically has a bit smaller DE he is going against in most schemes. Defensively Hastings can probably slip the push a bit and try to make a play on the ball carrier which he really can’t do this in this drill. I’m more concerned with what Spoon can do on the edge in preventing a pass rush. Big spoon may be the real deal but I don’t know if this quick clip tells us all that much.

Last edited:
So, nothing out of Fridays practice or the scrimmage. Only thing from SU is five female athlete profiles, which is fine, nothing about football.

nothing on Syracuse.com

Scrimmage was closed to media, but was hoping we might get a small recap of who did what.
ACC Network on campus and debut of the all access show tomorrow.

Shrader's arm was toast, Devito was a deer in headlights...Dungey I'll give you.
We are not talking a down and out or a deep throw. A simple quick 10 yard pass was occasionally needed. OG and Villari were big targets that might slip in behind the LBs. Babers & company just flat out ignored this potential part of the O, and D coordinators could safely ignore any threat of this type of pass to the TE.

Hastings was headed to Missouri before their D Line coach left for another job. So I think the talent is there. There were a number of teams after him out of the portal.

This wasn’t a case of a former 4 star top 250 kid choosing between us and FCS for example.

The new staff landed probably 8-10 players out of the portal that will be on the 2 deep. That’s just remarkable.

Last edited:
I’m no football coach, but to me this drill is just reps of bigs on both sides going at it trying to get push on one another in a box seeing who is more powerful and working on leverage. I see it sort of as an offensive run play. The defender isn’t trying to get around him but hold his position. The O-lineman is trying to drive him back which he did just a little bit. This is what you would expect to happen with the size differential between them. Offensively Spoon probably typically has a bit smaller DE he is going against in most schemes. Defensively Hastings can probably slip the push a bit and try to make a play on the ball carrier which he really can’t do this in this drill. I’m more concerned with what Spoon can do on the edge in preventing a pass rush. Big spoon may be the real deal but I don’t know if this quick clip tells us all that much.
Yup. Spoon will be good but I would be more intrigued to see 1v1 pass. See him against the better speed rushers on the team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom