2024 Preseason Camp Thread | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Preseason Camp Thread

How did the defense look?
I find it hard to tell how a pass rush is in these kinds of settings so I didn’t pay as much attention to the guys upfront vs the wideouts and DB. As the Post Standard indicated in that story, Barnes is definitely in the mix and had a nice INT near the goal line. But there were a lot of guys in the mix at the 1s and seems to be pretty competitive between him, Grant, Lewis and Bellamy. Grant and Lewis seem better suited for run situations just given their size but ya never know.

We just have way more talent across the board and it’s noticeable. I know we have a lot of raw coordinators but I really am impressed by the coaches and their focus on teaching.

Ohio @ Syracuse (on 5/27) had Syracuse -700ML, -13pt favs

Ohio @ Syracuse (this AM, 8/18) has Syracuse -950ML, -17.5pt favs

2 and a half months is a long time in the gambling world, but it’s trending in the right direction.

I still think Syracuse wins by 20+, but we’ll see about Fran & Co’s Xs and Os

Ohio @ Syracuse (on 5/27) had Syracuse -700ML, -13pt favs

Ohio @ Syracuse (this AM, 8/18) has Syracuse -950ML, -17.5pt favs

2 and a half months is a long time in the gambling world, but it’s trending in the right direction.

I still think Syracuse wins by 20+, but we’ll see about Fran & Co’s Xs and Os
Looks like a time to tease that sommmaofbitch

Got to spend some time with coach Wright and coach E Marc last night. Coach Wright said quote “Kyle McCord is the best football player I’ve ever been around and it’s not close”. Both super good dudes and they said “is everyone always this excited for Syracuse football around here?” And they were just basically saying “wait til you see what we have in store for the fans”. So they were so happy that the community has been showing them the support they have

Got to spend some time with coach Wright and coach E Marc last night. Coach Wright said quote “Kyle McCord is the best football player I’ve ever been around and it’s not close”. Both super good dudes and they said “is everyone always this excited for Syracuse football around here?” And they were just basically saying “wait til you see what we have in store for the fans”. So they were so happy that the community has been showing them the support they have
Really hoping they feel comfortable with McCord letting it rip.

Really hoping they feel comfortable with McCord letting it rip.
It sounds like they have a ton of confidence in him.

I'm hoping we have about 50-50 play calling, with McCord throwing 35 times a game.

Running the ball effectively is great, and important to winning. But it's so much fun when you have a good quarterback with good receivers and he's just slinging it.

Anyone been to practice noticed if most of the snaps are under center or from the gun? Also, didn’t watch any game of OSU last year other than highlights and Michigan game…but assume McCord was in the gun 75% of the time last year.

I was thinking we’d be 50/50 and be able to run lots of play action fake after setting up our run game.

It sounds like they have a ton of confidence in him.

I'm hoping we have about 50-50 play calling, with McCord throwing 35 times a game.

Running the ball effectively is great, and important to winning. But it's so much fun when you have a good quarterback with good receivers and he's just slinging it.
All about the oline. If they can handle the protections, I am sure McCord will get plenty of attempts. I love our RBs though as much as our WRs. Allen, Willis and James. Lots of fun passing and running hopefully this year. I get the feeling that Syracuse is going to do outstanding in chunk yards. Also watch for Ross at WR as well. Ross, Willis and James I think all will contribute.

All about the oline. If they can handle the protections, I am sure McCord will get plenty of attempts. I love our RBs though as much as our WRs. Allen, Willis and James. Lots of fun passing and running hopefully this year. I get the feeling that Syracuse is going to do outstanding in chunk yards. Also watch for Ross at WR as well. Ross, Willis and James I think all will contribute.
I love the speed James has, but he seems way over hyped. Seems like more than a few posters think he's not just going to play, but play a lot. I just don't see it... yet.

It’s a shame Ross has been hurt because I think he might be the key to unlocking it all on O (aside from O line obviously). Hopefully he’s back 100% soon. Ross could be a solid, dependable 1 or 2 receiver. For all the talk of Haynes, I think he’s more of a deep threat. Ross is the much more experienced and proven reliable player who can make catches on all levels. A player like him out there with an OG simultaneously makes us very hard to defend. If they’re all healthy and the O line can hold up, yeah, we have a chance to be very versatile.

It’s a shame Ross has been hurt because I think he might be the key to unlocking it all on O (aside from O line obviously). Hopefully he’s back 100% soon. Ross could be a solid, dependable 1 or 2 receiver. For all the talk of Haynes, I think he’s more of a deep threat. Ross is the much more experienced and proven reliable player who can make catches on all levels. A player like him out there with an OG simultaneously makes us very hard to defend. If they’re all healthy and the O line can hold up, yeah, we have a chance to be very versatile.
Haynes worked a lot in shorter routes yesterday. I was very impressed. He made some very nice catches. Lots of crossing stuff too. Gill and Hatcher are great deep threats. Meeks is a fun slot guy. And Gadsen is just better than he was before. Very excited for the O.

I admittedly didn’t pay attention to the gun vs center but I saw both.

I love the speed James has, but he seems way over hyped. Seems like more than a few posters think he's not just going to play, but play a lot. I just don't see it... yet.
I wouldn’t expect him to play much this year. Lot of guys ahead of him at RB. He’s got a lot of potential for a year or two from now at RB. I will say his speed is noticeable even with the backups he played with. He made a very nice cut on a running play and broke away for a near score.

I’m hoping that, if James has any wiggle, he gets a shot in the KO return game. Sure, there are a lot of nuances to it (like catching the ball and seeing the field), but speed plays a big factor in kickoffs. He just seems too tempting not to see what he can do. They’ve undoubtedly tried him there in practice. It’d be crazy not to. I’m sure there are better candidates as of today. But, as I said, if he has a little wiggle and can find a seam, you have to try to utilize that weapon.

RB, I agree. More to the position that he probably has to master first.

Haynes worked a lot in shorter routes yesterday. I was very impressed. He made some very nice catches. Lots of crossing stuff too. Gill and Hatcher are great deep threats. Meeks is a fun slot guy. And Gadsen is just better than he was before. Very excited for the O.

I admittedly didn’t pay attention to the gun vs center but I saw both.
Encouraging. Thanks.

He makes all the throws. And the best part is the expectations he places on himself. Dude demands perfection from himself and everyone around him. He was constantly analyzing film on sideline too. He’s light years better than Devito was in terms of a pocket passer at scanning the field and finding different options.

I hear you. I just think with a guy with that kind of speed, you have a list of 6 to 10 plays you try with him in the game. No different than the speedy kid who transferred to Lville. You find a way to put speed like that on the field.

Yeah which is why Nixon will find a way to get him on the field once his injuries are behind him.

I look for him to be situational as a freshman, the coaches will find time's to get him in the game. Maybe some Kick returns. Maybe if he can handle it some
punt returns.

James beating out Allen and Willis for even a handful of reps a game seems like a long shot. Maybe going with two backs will give James a chance to get on the field and potentially get the ball in space to make use of his speed.

If he isn't going to play more than a handful of plays a game, I would rather they keep his redshirt and rely on the two stud backs.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom