2024 Preseason Camp Thread | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Preseason Camp Thread

James beating out Allen and Willis for even a handful of reps a game seems like a long shot. Maybe going with two back will give James a change to get on the field and potentially get the ball in space to make use of his speed.

If he isn't going to play more than a handful of plays a game, I would rather they keep his redshirt and rely on the two stud backs.
James is a niche player. A stud niche player. He’s not going to be your every down back that gives you 25-30 carries. Ever. He’s a weapon that you line up all over the offense and defenses have to account for him and his speed. You can line him up at RB, sure. But I think we’ll see some wildcat with him, a lot of jet sweeps, reverses, him catching passes out of the back field.

His biggest role won’t be as a running back. His biggest role will be catching passes in space whether that’s out of the back field, sweeps/reverses. Anyway the staff can get him into space is where he’ll be dangerous

I love the speed James has, but he seems way over hyped. Seems like more than a few posters think he's not just going to play, but play a lot. I just don't see it... yet.

Yes - James is FAAAAAST.

That said, he’s a true Frosh.

Pretty sure Coach Nixon’s kid will be RB3.
(Assuming LeQuint & Willis are 1 & 2)

So James would be RB4.

I could see him on ST’s, and getting some late run in blowouts.
But otherwise I’d be kinda shocked if he gets more run than that.

As richmondcuse03 mentioned from watching the scrimmage, the staff is more than comfortable with McCord "letting it rip." McCord is special and I think they will showcase his talent as much as possible.
I only want McCord to have the most prolific passing season in school history.

I really don't think I'm asking too much.

IMO, players like Malachi James (RB), Jamie Tremble (TE), BJ Long (S), King Joseph Edwards and a freshman receiver or two will all play this year. (See below for my comment regarding Barnes) They may only play in four games so they can use a redshirt year. But they will play because these days coaches need to continue to recruit their rosters or risk losing quality players hitting the portal.

We are deep enough that unless the injury bugs hits (fingers crossed) guys like these won’t burn a redshirt year unless we need them, or they play themselves into a contributing role like Barnes has at CB.

One area where we should be improved is our special teams. This roster is bigger, faster and stronger than recent years. Did I say faster? Coach Fran seems to want to play the best players possible on special teams. I heard Gadsden is running with the first team punt team (not something I would do). If true, that tells you the importance this staff puts in special teams.

I am looking forward to watching this team play and develop as the season progresses. (I got excited yesterday when my parking passes arrived in the mail yesterday).

Stay healthy (last week we lost a pretty good player for the season. That's two so far).

Go Orange!

Last edited:
Coach Fran seems to want to play the best players possible on special teams. I heard Gadsden is running with the first team punt team (not something I would do).
Hopefully that means there's some fake punt trickeration possibilities.

Also not the call I'd make, but head coaching careers literally live and die with these kinds of decisions.

IMO, players like Malachi James (RB), Jamie Tremble (TE), BJ Long (S), King Joseph Edwards and a freshman receiver or two will all play this year. (See below for my comment regarding Barnes) They may only play in four games so they can use a redshirt year. But, they will play because these days coaches need to continue to recruit their rosters or risk losing quality players hitting the portal.

We are deep enough that unless the injury bugs hits (fingers crossed) guys like these won’t burn a redshirt year unless we need them or they play play them selves into a contributing role like Barnes has at CB.

One area where we should be improved is our special teams. This roster is bigger, faster and stronger than recent years. Did I say faster? Coach Fran seems to want to play the best players possible on special teams. I heard Gadsden is running with the first team punt team (not something I would do). If true, that tells you the importance this staff puts in special teams.

I am looking forward to watching this team play and develop as the season progresses. (I got excited yesterday when my parking passes arrived in the mail yesterday).

Stay healthy (last week we lost a pretty good player for the season).

Go Orange!
Agreed on not playing your top guys on special teams but I believe Fran does it to help them get drafted.

Haynes worked a lot in shorter routes yesterday. I was very impressed. He made some very nice catches. Lots of crossing stuff too. Gill and Hatcher are great deep threats. Meeks is a fun slot guy. And Gadsen is just better than he was before. Very excited for the O.

I admittedly didn’t pay attention to the gun vs center but I saw both.

Yay

Agreed on not playing your top guys on special teams but I believe Fran does it to help them get drafted.
Nick Saban also played his best players on Special Teams…now I don’t think he would do that with someone who has injury concerns, but I know he is a huge advocate of WRs and TEs, Linebackers and Safety’s playing big reps on SP.

I would not play OG there as well and agree. But definitely need to get high level guys there to not give up any game changing momentum

One thing I admit I will be looking out for on offense, given Fran's linkages to Deleone and old school Syracuse football will be a some of the old offense trickery like the roll right and look back to our TE breaking down field. Loved that play call back in the day.

It sounds like they have a ton of confidence in him.

I'm hoping we have about 50-50 play calling, with McCord throwing 35 times a game.

Running the ball effectively is great, and important to winning. But it's so much fun when you have a good quarterback with good receivers and he's just slinging it.

FWIW 35 passing attempts/game would be top 25 in the entire country in terms of passing volume.

I expect there will definitely be games where we let McCord sling it, but I expect a more balanced offense overall.

Just for fun, do you think he'll rush for more yards than he had last season at Washington?
I’m going over (200). He got some run with the 1s at time. Def third string guy but I think we are done with the days where just one back got bulk of carries. Guys will split more. Allen Willis and Nixon should all see the field a lot.

Last edited:
I’m going over (200). He got some run with the 1s at time. Def third string guy but I think we are the days where just one back got bulk of carries. Guys will split more. Allen Willis and Nixon should all see the field a lot.
I forgot to ask was how many penalty’s we had during the scrimmage..(don’t know if they had refs calling them or not)

IMO, players like Malachi James (RB), Jamie Tremble (TE), BJ Long (S), King Joseph Edwards and a freshman receiver or two will all play this year. (See below for my comment regarding Barnes) They may only play in four games so they can use a redshirt year. But, they will play because these days coaches need to continue to recruit their rosters or risk losing quality players hitting the portal.

We are deep enough that unless the injury bugs hits (fingers crossed) guys like these won’t burn a redshirt year unless we need them or they play play them selves into a contributing role like Barnes has at CB.

Stay healthy (last week we lost a pretty good player for the season).

Go Orange!
Has the player who got injured been announced yet? I think I may have missed it.

Since it seems we won't run a real fast paced offense, if we avg 30 throws a game, in the games we play well, that would sound normal.

Then 30 runs between the two main RBs and thats 60 plays. if we get to 70-75 plays a game that doesn't leave much for FR RBs to get in and do much. a couple QB runs will probably be in there as well.

I only want McCord to have the most prolific passing season in school history.

I really don't think I'm asking too much.
I think McCord will be either 9th or 10th on the career passing yards list. (DeVito 3866 and Nunes 4578)

He'll be top 7 in touchdowns (Nunes at 32, Shrader at 39).

He has an outside shot at top10 in completions as well (DeVito 337)

Looking at our all time passing list reminds me of how much the decades of freeze option and then decades of being terrible kept our passing stats so low that a single great season is enough to put players in the top ten in incredibly important statistical categories.

Bold prediction of McCord's season: 14 games (winning ACC championship game, lose in the playoff)

490 attempts, 325 completions, 4450 yards, 42 touchdowns.

I couldn't be more in la la land about our prospects than I am right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom