2024 Preseason Camp Thread | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Preseason Camp Thread

FWIW 35 passing attempts/game would be top 25 in the entire country in terms of passing volume.

I expect there will definitely be games where we let McCord sling it, but I expect a more balanced offense overall.
Yeah, only a couple guys from power conferences averaged more than 35 attempts per game.

The highest in BCS football was 42/game, by Davis Brin from Georgia Southern.

Cameron Ward, from Washington State averaged 40.4/game to lead all power conferences in attempts.

Michael Penix led in attempts (15 games) with 555 attempts (37/game).

So, I'm asking for a very passing heavy offense that also succeeds at the highest level.

Nothing too big, right?;)

There were refs. Only one procedural penalty (illegal man downfield). Don’t recall a false start.
I watched every Georgia game last year. I remember them going like 5 games in a row without a false start. And Kirby had some sort of quote about it about how valuable the 5 yards is on offense and I expect Fran to be the same way with this. Would be so amazing to never see false starts

Yeah, only a couple guys from power conferences averaged more than 35 attempts per game.

The highest in BCS football was 42/game, by Davis Brin from Georgia Southern.

Cameron Ward, from Washington State averaged 40.4/game to lead all power conferences in attempts.

Michael Penix led in attempts (15 games) with 555 attempts (37/game).

So, I'm asking for a very passing heavy offense that also succeeds at the highest level.

Nothing too big, right?;)
i think we will be balanced and attack what the defense gives us. We finally have some talent at both wide out and running back on offense where we can actually do that. So it’s going to vary. We have a lot of talent at RB and if line is as improved as we hope it is, we’re in for some fun. I think it’ll be a good sign that we don’t have to throw as much as we’re used to.

IMO, players like Malachi James (RB), Jamie Tremble (TE), BJ Long (S), King Joseph Edwards and a freshman receiver or two will all play this year. (See below for my comment regarding Barnes) They may only play in four games so they can use a redshirt year. But, they will play because these days coaches need to continue to recruit their rosters or risk losing quality players hitting the portal.

We are deep enough that unless the injury bugs hits (fingers crossed) guys like these won’t burn a redshirt year unless we need them or they play play them selves into a contributing role like Barnes has at CB.

One area where we should be improved is our special teams. This roster is bigger, faster and stronger than recent years. Did I say faster? Coach Fran seems to want to play the best players possible on special teams. I heard Gadsden is running with the first team punt team (not something I would do). If true, that tells you the importance this staff puts in special teams.

I am looking forward to watching this team play and develop as the season progresses. (I got excited yesterday when my parking passes arrived in the mail yesterday).

Stay healthy (last week we lost a pretty good player for the season).

Go Orange!
You aren't going to Redshirt players anymore who have a lot of potential.
You are going to get them on the field, with the portal you can't count on players to stay.

I watched every Georgia game last year. I remember them going like 5 games in a row without a false start. And Kirby had some sort of quote about it about how valuable the 5 yards is on offense and I expect Fran to be the same way with this. Would be so amazing to never see false starts
From your lips (er, keyboard) to God’s ear.

Based on absolutely nothing at all other than ages, it wouldn’t surprise me if Nixon is more of RB2 than he is RB3, at least early on. Allen and Nixon both have years of D1 experience.

I am sure the first time i see Willis take a snap in a game I will want to see much more of him, but I expect to see plenty of all 3 throughout the year

that doesn't mean game on the line need a yd we put the FR in over the guy who has been to a NC game.

Hopefully week 1 won't matter. But week 2.

Had my die hard OSU friend tell me today that Kyle would have been 3rd string for them this year.

I wanted strangle him through the phone.

Can’t wait for him to prove the doubters wrong
yeah, I had a very short discussion with an OSU fan friend last night. He didn't know that Kyle didn't even start their bowl game, so I didn't take it further.

You would think most teams, especially ones with our past talent levels, this would be a huge focal point. False starts, alignment issues, and any other pre snap infraction, would be the first simple thing to eliminate. It’s a given that teams with less talent have to play mentally tough, error free games. How we were consistently the worst at this was, and never properly addressed, was abhorrent for the HC to allow to carry on for so long!

Last edited:
He said a second season ending injury. Ingraham was the first right? Ugh.
The original post said nothing about a second injury or another player to injury Just that we lost a good player to injury last week. Could be a second player, but why would they be hush-hush about a second guy after openly disclosing the first?

The original post said nothing about a second injury or another player to injury Just that we lost a good player to injury last week. Could be a second player, but why would they be hush-hush about a second guy after openly disclosing the first?

Yeah it was later edited and said this is the second

Will be interesting to see who it is

I think the plan would be to have Nixon Rb2 when it matters until the kid shows enough to be trusted.

Pass protection is the big learning curve for true Frosh RB as they've not been asked to do so prior. Willis is a stud but Nixon protects our only irreplaceable asset better now thus expect him to play more early when LA needs a breather

Pass protection is the big learning curve for true Frosh RB as they've not been asked to do so prior. Willis is a stud but Nixon protects our only irreplaceable asset better now thus expect him to play more early when LA needs a breather
I expect multiple running backs to play. Nixon in an interview said he plays multiple running backs. Gone are the days of running one running back into the ground or claiming others are not ready yet because they have to block better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom