2024 Preseason Camp Thread | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Preseason Camp Thread

Surprised there has not been more videos and news from practices. Seems like the coverage has been much less, especially from the spring?
Also think Emily and Brent are trying to really push their SU Insider program. They aren't posting vids on Twitter anymore because they want people to sign up.

Last edited:
I feel most fans me included are excited to finally see a te being used for more than a blocker. Dino seemed to never use a te. He used OG as a slot receiver and te in name only. It will be great to see two te sets and the te used for more than a 6 Oline man.
Well if we’re being honest he didn’t even use OG as a TE - he was just a large receiver and he hardly used Villari until it was absolutely necessary.

I just want balanced rosters and a balanced offense. If Fran just brings that alone I’ll be very happy because I know between him and ERob amongst the other impressive Defensive assistants that he defense will be there.

I feel most fans me included are excited to finally see a te being used for more than a blocker. Dino seemed to never use a te. He used OG as a slot receiver and te in name only. It will be great to see two te sets and the te used for more than a 6 Oline man.
But honestly, it's not just Dino. We run into this situation almost every year. We think they are going to throw to the TE, the coaches talk like they are going to throw to the TE, and then the TE is never allowed to catch the ball. It's ridiculous

When's the last time a receiving TE was an important part of the offense? Nick Provo?

Move OG all around (like they will), and get Villari out there catching the ball with him. If we get away from that it's either because A) The wide outs are getting the job done or B) because we've lost focus on doing what it takes to actually win

But honestly, it's not just Dino. We run into this situation almost every year. We think they are going to throw to the TE, the coaches talk like they are going to throw to the TE, and then the TE is never allowed to catch the ball. It's ridiculous

When's the last time a receiving TE was an important part of the offense? Nick Provo?

Move OG all around (like they will), and get Villari out there catching the ball with him. If we get away from that it's either because A) The wide outs are getting the job done or B) because we've lost focus on doing what it takes to actually win
We haven't thrown to the TE because we haven't had a QB who could throw.

I think at the end of the day…as we all know it’s going start upfront. If we can get good oline play our offense will be top 30 in the country. With McCord not allowing teams to just run downhill at Allen to stop the run, it will open up the run game which in turn, opens up more of the middle of the field and TE will become much more involved. If we get lackluster oline play then McCord is going to need to get the ball out quickly to Allen out of the backfield or slants and stop routes underneath.

TE will play a major part in the offense this year. I can see us playing Mang and Villari together on the line and bunch to the outside with Gadsden involved in that. You get the option to run the ball inside or play action into bunch side to cause chaos.

Fran mentioned Clement as being a beast so I expect we will have 4 deep at the TE spot…hopefully that allows Tremble to come along slowly but learn behind Gadsden and spell him when needed.

All in all this team needs TEs to flourish.

Tight ends, traditionally, were eligible receivers (ends) who played tight to the ball, at the end of the line of scrimmage.
Bill Carpenter on the '59 Army team was a sizable end who became known as "The Lonesome End."
Tight ends, traditionally, were eligible receivers (ends) who played tight to the ball, at the end of the line of scrimmage.
Bill Carpenter was a sizable end on the Army '59 team who became known as the original "Lonesome End." Other teams earlier had sent a receiver out wide, but Carpenter was unique in that he never returned to the huddle. He received a signal, run or pass play from the QB that opposing teams were always trying to figure out. Army was on TV quite a bit and I viewed one game where the QB touching or not touching his face bar coincided with the next play. Think they changed it from game to game and once read that the signal was sent via the position of the QB's feet.

You can find a great SI article on him on Google. He won a DSC in Nam when his unit was overwhelmed and he called in air support on his own position.

Bill Carpenter on the '59 Army team was a sizable end who became known as "The Lonesome End."

Bill Carpenter was a sizable end on the Army '59 team who became known as the original "Lonesome End." Other teams earlier had sent a receiver out wide, but Carpenter was unique in that he never returned to the huddle. He received a signal, run or pass play from the QB that opposing teams were always trying to figure out. Army was on TV quite a bit and I viewed one game where the QB touching or not touching his face bar coincided with the next play. Think they changed it from game to game and once read that the signal was sent via the position of the QB's feet.

You can find a great SI article on him on Google. He won a DSC in Nam when his unit was overwhelmed and he called in air support on his own position.
Geez I'm old. I remember him vividly!

Ravian Pierce was criminally underutilized
Could swear I've heard that before. Oh wait ... it was in my post about TE’s 3 years ago:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom