2024 Preseason Thread | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Preseason Thread

One potential positive or at least I hope it is, is the struggles with clearing and the 10 man. It's been an issue before under Gait. Hoping seeing it flare up in the preseason will be a wake up call

I was told we were down 9-4 at half with the starters.
(6 goals in the First Quarter - some due to clearing issues). Clearing was better in the 2nd. Michigan was in a 10 man ride some which caused issues.
FOs were good. (Above 60 percent)
We were on man-down 3 times in the 1st. They scored twice.
Michigan goalie had some good saves.

We did have one injury at DM but I’ll let them announce the players name. Not sure how serious.
I like FO above 60%… hope the injury isn’t serious… only a scrimmage so I’ll take the the positives

Obviously very curious how this played out!

Believe we are looking at a clean face off win in the first pic!

Reading into this too much is always a mistake. Last year we were told we played extremely well with starters in and were up big when they came out. Same guys went out to put up 7 against a not great UVM team in the opener. It is at the very most one half of one game and then you have guys not playing, trying certain things, and all sorts of factors.

DMV makes it sound like a rough start out of the gate along with some penalties, but hopefully it cleaned up a little as the game went on. Hope the injury is at least minor. That would be the only true bummer.

Believe we are looking at a clean face off win in the first pic!

Reading into this too much is always a mistake. Last year we were told we played extremely well with starters in and were up big when they came out. Same guys went out to put up 7 against a not great UVM team in the opener. It is at the very most one half of one game and then you have guys not playing, trying certain things, and all sorts of factors.

DMV makes it sound like a rough start out of the gate along with some penalties, but hopefully it cleaned up a little as the game went on. Hope the injury is at least minor. That would be the only true bummer.

Agreed don't want to predict a season good or bad off of one scrimmage. As you noted we've had years where SU played well in 1 or both scrimmages and the 1st regular season games were a death struggle and we've also seen the exact opposite where SU played bad or less then stellar and then flipped it once the season started.

All that said it's still a bit disconcerting that some of the issues that plagued SU last year (penalties, turnovers, issue with 10 man especially) were again an issue to at least start the year. I'm not gonna panic about it but I'm also a bit concerned Gaits teams are developing some patterns that are not great.

heard score was 12-6 when both teams started subbing... "this was more michigan being good than cuse being bad" per my source. very chippy physical game with good energy on both sides but wolverines were more organized

Agreed don't want to predict a season good or bad off of one scrimmage. As you noted we've had years where SU played well in 1 or both scrimmages and the 1st regular season games were a death struggle and we've also seen the exact opposite where SU played bad or less then stellar and then flipped it once the season started.

All that said it's still a bit disconcerting that some of the issues that plagued SU last year (penalties, turnovers, issue with 10 man especially) were again an issue to at least start the year. I'm not gonna panic about it but I'm also a bit concerned Gaits teams are developing some patterns that are not great.
I would certainly like to hear better, but we did turn the ball over less than nearly any team in the country last season and were I believe one of the top clearing percentage teams as well. Agree on 10 man ride specifically, especially with how bad it was in that second UNC game, but overall the team was not a sloppy one last season. Hoping it is a wake up call for the D/man down unit, who are still a question mark under Odierna.

He had the same problems as the Wlax coach

I would certainly like to hear better, but we did turn the ball over less than nearly any team in the country last season and were I believe one of the top clearing percentage teams as well. Agree on 10 man ride specifically, especially with how bad it was in that second UNC game, but overall the team was not a sloppy one last season. Hoping it is a wake up call for the D/man down unit, who are still a question mark under Odierna.

The numbers overall look good but they are a bit misleading. SU had multiple games against the upper echelon of the schedule where they would get into a quarter + (usually the third or mid third into early 4th) were they would just start throwing the ball around horrifically. Wasn't an all game issue but usually a 10+ min stretch. Remember it specifically it popping up against Hopkins, UVA, Duke and I think one other. Frustrating aspect as it's not a constant issue but one that seems to pop up and then disappear.

Agree on the 10 man ride and man down. Man down is a little more understandable but the 10 man ride issues especially after that horrific performance against UNC is concerning.

I would say, perhaps something I didn’t consider is that if Figurias and Dwan are the two main guys on defense, that makes the unit pretty young overall. Might be some growing pains that the unit goes through but gets better by the end of the year. Like a restaurant stress test, best to get this stuff out of the way before opening night.

Any word on who the third defender is?

I would say, perhaps something I didn’t consider is that if Figurias and Dwan are the two main guys on defense, that makes the unit pretty young overall. Might be some growing pains that the unit goes through but gets better by the end of the year. Like a restaurant stress test, best to get this stuff out of the way before opening night.

Believe its Caccamo

Both played very good from what I was told. Kol was the 3rd.

This is what I got tonight score was 8-6 at halftime as stated earlier michgans ten man was a difference make First D didnt play second half and first O went out early 3rd told offense looked polished Michigan goalie played well Also told they were impressed with Kohn the FO from Tufts doing good job against an established all American As far as I’m concerned the development at the face off X is confirmation this will be a monster season for Cuse . Michigan went much deeper with starters to the frustration of my intel

Last edited:
This is what I got tonight score was 8-6 at halftime as stated earlier michgans ten man was a difference make First D didnt play second half and first O went out early 3rd told offense looked polished Michigan goalie played well Also told they were impressed with Kohn the FO from Tufts doing good job against an established all American As far as I’m concerned the development at the face off X is confirmation this will be a monster season for Cuse . Michigan went much deeper with starters to the frustration of my intel
Just the news of Kohn should be exciting. Was just a scrimmage I mean they just started practicing again a few weeks ago. Lynchburg beat Jax last yr in a scrimmage didnf they? This is why I do like they don't play anyone strong the first few games. Get the kinks out and like someone else said a lot of new pieces mixed in. Takes time to gel.

Appreciate the report.

Some info is starting to trickle out but as is usually the case with a closed scrimmage its conflicting. Hearing it was 12-6 @ half and one report states Kohn struggled.

Appreciate any other info you may have or want to share

Last edited:
Appreciate the report.

Some info is starting to trickle out but as is the case its conflicting. Hearing it was 12-6 @ half and one report states Kohn struggled.

he did

he did

Thanks for clarifying. Are you aware if Mullen was the one who had success or if SU did ultimately get to 60% or so overall? Maybe against the backups?

All the good reports are fiction and the bad ones are 100% true! No matter what the reports are the Michigan fogo is arguably the best returning fogo in the nation. He outplayed the best fogos we will see this year in Wierman and Naso. It is a good challenge for Kohn and Mullen before the season starts.

This team will be a work in progress between a completely new DC and a large influx of players from the portal on field chemistry is going to be something that unfortunately maybe lacking at times
Think this could be true, but only for defense. Offense returns nearly all key components from last year and the transfers should fit in with the style right away. Far better chemistry than the start of last season where it was literally an entire different starting offense besides Birtwistle.

Defense will have at least two new faces getting serious ssdm mins, two new faces at lsm, first season with Figueras in at close D, and a new DC. A lot more question marks on that end

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom