2024 Transfer Thread | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Transfer Thread

starting to sound like breschi is going to survive but an assistant or two wont be so lucky

On the surface it seems crazy they’d get rid of Unterstein, seeing that they rank 5th in defensive efficiency. That said, UNC gave up 16 goals a game vs ACC competition this year. They gave up totals of 19, 15, 16 and 18 to close the season (all losses). Seems understandable they’d want to make a change there.

Metzbower is highly respected but these last two years it seems like the offense has been a mess, even with a generational talent in Chris Gray. From the outside it really seems like they over recruited, and brought in a bunch of transfers, and tried to make everyone happy by giving everyone a little bit of playing time. It just seems like lineups have been super random with not a lot of rhyme or reason. There’s no cohesion. Seems like whoever’s in charge should be getting more from this unit, what with all the highly ranked recruits.

To me, UNC, Duke, UVA should really be contenders for the final four every year. I think it’s easy to blame assistant coaches but it feels like UNC should be getting more from their lacrosse program. As an opposing fan it makes me more nervous to think of the Tar Heels with someone else in command than it does to stay status quo with the head coach. Feels like that should say something.

On the surface it seems crazy they’d get rid of Unterstein, seeing that they rank 5th in defensive efficiency. That said, UNC gave up 16 goals a game vs ACC competition this year. They gave up totals of 19, 15, 16 and 18 to close the season (all losses). Seems understandable they’d want to make a change there.

Metzbower is highly respected but these last two years it seems like the offense has been a mess, even with a generational talent in Chris Gray. From the outside it really seems like they over recruited, and brought in a bunch of transfers, and tried to make everyone happy by giving everyone a little bit of playing time. It just seems like lineups have been super random with not a lot of rhyme or reason. There’s no cohesion. Seems like whoever’s in charge should be getting more from this unit, what with all the highly ranked recruits.

To me, UNC, Duke, UVA should really be contenders for the final four every year. I think it’s easy to blame assistant coaches but it feels like UNC should be getting more from their lacrosse program. As an opposing fan it makes me more nervous to think of the Tar Heels with someone else in command than it does to stay status quo with the head coach. Feels like that should say something.
sounds like metz is out. not sure about unterstein yet

Feels like the portal has been a little slow up to this point in terms of announced commitments (ie a Ty Xanders tweet or something to that effect). At this point last year (a few days before the quarterfinals) we had the following players commit to new schools ->

Georgetown landed Tucker Dordevic (Syracuse), Brian Minicus (Colgate), Danny Hinks (Dartmouth) and Jacob Kelly (UNC).

Syracuse had landed Alex Simmons (Denver), Cole Kirst (Lehigh) and Joe Bolea (Kenyon).

Virginia had a commitment from Thomas McConvey (UVM).

That might not sound like a ton, but right now, officially the only "big" name I've seen committed anywhere is Tommy Burke (UVM to Ohio State), and that was done prior to the start of this season. Obviously we've talked a lot about Alex English and Jake Stevens from Princeton to SU but we haven't seen an official announcement anywhere. I'm just curious as to when a lot of these announcements will be made? There are a lot of big names in the portal right now.

Another point is that at this time last year a number of SU players were in the portal in addition to Dordevic, including Mikey Berkman, Shae Katchadurian, Jack Savage, Mateo Corsi and Jack Kennedy. So far we know that Brandon Aviles is in the portal but I haven't seen any other names. Is it true that no one else has entered or have we just not been told? Obviously would love for everyone to come back but SU seems to lose at least a few players every year.

Feels like the portal has been a little slow up to this point in terms of announced commitments (ie a Ty Xanders tweet or something to that effect). At this point last year (a few days before the quarterfinals) we had the following players commit to new schools ->

Georgetown landed Tucker Dordevic (Syracuse), Brian Minicus (Colgate), Danny Hinks (Dartmouth) and Jacob Kelly (UNC).

Syracuse had landed Alex Simmons (Denver), Cole Kirst (Lehigh) and Joe Bolea (Kenyon).

That might not sound like a ton, but right now, officially the only "big" name I've seen committed anywhere is Tommy Burke (UVM to Ohio State), and that was done prior to the start of this season. Obviously we've talked a lot about Alex English and Jake Stevens from Princeton to SU but we haven't seen an official announcement anywhere. I'm just curious as to when a lot of these announcements will be made? There are a lot of big names in the portal right now.

Another point is that at this time last year a number of SU players were in the portal in addition to Dordevic, including Mikey Berkman, Shae Katchadurian, Jack Savage, Mateo Corsi and Jack Kennedy. So far we know that Brandon Aviles is in the portal but I haven't seen any other names. Is it true that no one else has entered or have we just not been told? Obviously would love for everyone to come back but SU seems to lose at least a few players every year.
Maybe everyone decided there was no need to get a crazy fast head start before the tourney ended since there are a heck of a lot less names this year. That's about all I got. There should be some official moves any day now.

Gait pretty much said we're getting English and Stevens in the Carc interview. He said with them still playing it's not right to mention them yet. Those two are huge pickups. Need a Fogo and a few shortys now. U see my guy Justin Joseph who I wanted SU to grab last yr as a grad transfer went 56% at Drexel and was signed by the Redwoods of PLL. Probably won't make the team but still he went 56% at Drexel so I think he could have went 50% for us this yr. He was still in portal after SU picked up Will Mark and Murphy. Have to get an experienced solid Fogo even with the talented freshman coming in.

I’m really looking forward to a potential Culver reunion. In 2019, they won the Prep National Title with a team that included seniors John Cohen, Sam English (who has 2 years of eligibility remaining), Alec Stathakis, & sophomore Owen Hiltz. They also won the Prep Title in 2017 with a team that included those 3 (no Hiltz) plus juniors Alex Simmons & Jake Stevens. All these players were likely recruited heavily by Pat March. National Titles tend to create lifelong bonds & these players seem to remain pretty close. Stathakis played the previous 3 years with Simmons at Denver. During the Pandemic in 2020, Cohen began The After TAPS Podcast on YouTube. This podcast still carries on at Culver to this day. Cohen only filmed two hour-long episodes but his guests included English & Stathakis.

I get the sense that Cohen is a really likeable guy & teammate. He’s been the “Team DJ” in charge of the locker room music the last 2 years & you can just tell by how hyped the entire team gets when he scores. Stevens & English also aren't strangers to Upstate NY, as each was committed to Cornell before flipping to Princeton.

Let’s get the Culver band back together for another title run!

Last edited:
I’m really looking forward to a potential Culver reunion. In 2019, they won the Prep National Title with a team that included seniors John Cohen, Sam English (who has 2 years of eligibility remaining), Alec Stathakis, & sophomore Owen Hiltz. They also won the Prep Title in 2017 with a team that included those 3 (no Hiltz) plus juniors Alex Simmons & Jake Stevens. All these players were likely recruited heavily by Pat March. National Titles tend to create lifelong bonds & these players seem to remain pretty close. Stathakis played the previous 3 years with Simmons at Denver. During the Pandemic in 2020, Cohen began The After TAPS Podcast on YouTube. This podcast still carries on at Culver to this day. Cohen only filmed two hour-long episodes but his guests included English & Stathakis.

I get the sense that Cohen is a really likeable guy & teammate. He’s been the “Team DJ” in charge of the locker room music the last 2 years & you can just tell by how hyped the entire team gets when he scores. Stevens & English also aren't strangers to Upstate NY, as each was committed to Cornell before flipping to Princeton.

Let’s get the Culver band back together for another title run!
English has 2 years of eligibility when he gets here? I thought he would be a grad transfer.

English has 2 years of eligibility when he gets here? I thought he would be a grad transfer.
He’s a grad transfer with 2 years remaining because he lost both the 2020 & 2021 (IVY only) seasons to COVID.

He’s a grad transfer with 2 years remaining because he lost both the 2020 & 2021 (IVY only) seasons to COVID.

NCAA didn't give an extra year out for 2021 IVY decision, English has only 1 year of eligibility left. Extreme has it right.

NCAA didn't give an extra year out for 2021 IVY decision, English has only 1 year of eligibility left. Extreme has it right.

The article that announced the Princeton players entering the portal says English has two years left. I think Xtreme was trying to say he does indeed have two years left.

“Combining for 104 points during the Tigers' Final Four run in 2022, English and Slusher — in addition to returning starter Christian Ronda (23 goals), goalie Griffen Rakower and midfielder Weston Carpenter, all Class of 2019 recruits — will have two years of eligibility after the 2023 season.”

the ncaa didn't but several players withdrew from school to preserve their eligibility. believe english was one of them. he should have 2 left if he wants them both

Ah, wasn't aware he had withdrawn in 2021, that would open up another year for him. I think he only plans on playing one of them though.

The article that announced the Princeton players entering the portal says English has two years left. I think Xtreme was trying to say he does indeed have two years left.

“Combining for 104 points during the Tigers' Final Four run in 2022, English and Slusher — in addition to returning starter Christian Ronda (23 goals), goalie Griffen Rakower and midfielder Weston Carpenter, all Class of 2019 recruits — will have two years of eligibility after the 2023 season.”

Yup looks like they all withdrew, I knew some did but wasn't aware English and others had. I doubt he uses both but still an interesting development.

Ah, wasn't aware he had withdrawn in 2021, that would open up another year for him. I think he only plans on playing one of them though.
withdrawing only would've saved another year in the ivy if he didn't graduate. they don't allow graduating and still playing. they also might not allow completing 8 semesters and still playing.

those guys have 2 years left bc the nc$$ not only didn't count it as a year if u played a game in 2020, but they extended it to 6 to play 4+ vs the normal 5 to play 4. so he/they has until 2025 regardless.

they were giving out a lot of eligibility.

Last edited:
Still no announcement on Stevens and English…? What’s the deal/hold up? Weird.

Anyone in the know hearing anything about any other transfers?

Still no announcement on Stevens and English…? What’s the deal/hold up? Weird.

Anyone in the know hearing anything about any other transfers?
i heard there was an issue and now neither of them are going to cuse

just kidding. they are probably waiting for princeton graduation which isn't until next week

some household names are going to hit the portal this week and next

i heard there was an issue and now neither of them are going to cuse

just kidding. they are probably waiting for princeton graduation which isn't until next week

some household names are going to hit the portal this week and next
You just gave me a heart attack for a second lmao! figured they would have announced it after their season ended but your reasoning makes sense. I’m just impatient :cool:

Let’s hope Gait and Co. are ready to get some good names. We desperately need help defensively, and if the perfect offensive player(s) pop up, it doesn’t hurt to bite.

I know some posters on here don’t like grabbing a bunch from the portal because it messes with chemistry but ‘Cuse needs all they can get at this point.

Depth can never hurt and after being traumatized with all the injuries the women’s team has suffered over the past 3 years, nobody’s position should ever be “locked in” because you never know what can happen preseason or in season— i.e. Riley Figueiras.

A poster on Fanlax said both Justin Tiernan (55 points) and John Sidorski (35) from Lehigh entered the portal, for their fifth year. They were the Mountain Hawks 3rd and 4th leading scorers. Both have Long Island connections and I believe both played for Team 91 (obvious Spallina links). Not endorsing that SU goes after them, just pointing out the connections.

A poster on Fanlax said both Justin Tiernan (55 points) and John Sidorski (35) from Lehigh entered the portal, for their fifth year. They were the Mountain Hawks 3rd and 4th leading scorers. Both have Long Island connections and I believe both played for Team 91 (obvious Spallina links). Not endorsing that SU goes after them, just pointing out the connections.
Maybe Cole can throw in a good word or two alongside the Spallina’s? Christian Mulé too :p

Would take 1 solid D1 ssdm over anyone else on offense. We are stacked as hell there if stevens and English are in. Only one ball.