2024 Transfer Thread | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Transfer Thread

Would take 1 solid D1 ssdm over anyone else on offense. We are stacked as hell there if stevens and English are in. Only one ball.

Undoubtedly I think the priority for the transfer portal should be 1) Face-off 2) SSDM 3) Long Stick 4) Attack/Midfield.

There were rumors about one FOGO but haven't heard or read anything about that recently. Have to think that SU will target someone as Gait has been public about wanting someone new at that spot next year. At the very least they have two promising rookies that will be on campus in the fall. Big time fingers crossed they can land someone here.

SU is down to Carter Rice and Max Rosa at SSDM, with maybe Vinnie Trujilio or Zach Mercado as fill ins next year. That doesn't make me feel great about a position that was a real issue last year. There is the rumored DIII transfer, but I think SU needs at least two new players at that spot, and at least one who can slot into the starters roll (honestly, preferably two). Not sure how many SSDMs in total will be available in the portal, and I'm sure they will be highly sought after. Fanlax lists Eli Fisher, from Wagner, who a poster on here wanted SU to puruse, as headed to Ohio State.

Long stick appears to be a crowded grouping with so many returners but obviously there were issues with unit last year. A high end veteran addition would certainly be welcome. How aggressive should they be is the question. I don't think this spot is quite as desperate as the positions listed higher above, but this was a problem area last year. Saam Olexo and at times Billy Dwan looked like the only two "ACC caliber" players at this position last year. Riley Figuerias coming back obviously helps, and perhaps Donny Scott can see some early playing time.

All that said I don't think you can have enough offense, especially in this day and age of the shot clock. If they want to keep up with teams like Duke/Notre Dame/UVA that will have generational talents on offense coming back, the Orange will be well served to have as good an offense as possible. I don't know how things work with NIL and scholarship money, but if a top player like Devon McLane from Brown or Jack Boyden from Tufts show an interest or willingness to come to Syracuse I think they should pursue it. They don't need to bring in two or three "maybe" players at this point and see if they strike gold, but a proven guy who fits in with what they are trying to do I think makes a lot of sense. Especially if that player is a strong dodger who can free Spallina from pressure.

Undoubtedly I think the priority for the transfer portal should be 1) Face-off 2) SSDM 3) Long Stick 4) Attack/Midfield.

There were rumors about one FOGO but haven't heard or read anything about that recently. Have to think that SU will target someone as Gait has been public about wanting someone new at that spot next year. At the very least they have two promising rookies that will be on campus in the fall. Big time fingers crossed they can land someone here.

SU is down to Carter Rice and Max Rosa at SSDM, with maybe Vinnie Trujilio or Zach Mercado as fill ins next year. That doesn't make me feel great about a position that was a real issue last year. There is the rumored DIII transfer, but I think SU needs at least two new players at that spot, and at least one who can slot into the starters roll (honestly, preferably two). Not sure how many SSDMs in total will be available in the portal, and I'm sure they will be highly sought after. Fanlax lists Eli Fisher, from Wagner, who a poster on here wanted SU to puruse, as headed to Ohio State.

Long stick appears to be a crowded grouping with so many returners but obviously there were issues with unit last year. A high end veteran addition would certainly be welcome. How aggressive should they be is the question. I don't think this spot is quite as desperate as the positions listed higher above, but this was a problem area last year. Saam Olexo and at times Billy Dwan looked like the only two "ACC caliber" players at this position last year. Riley Figuerias coming back obviously helps, and perhaps Donny Scott can see some early playing time.

All that said I don't think you can have enough offense, especially in this day and age of the shot clock. If they want to keep up with teams like Duke/Notre Dame/UVA that will have generational talents on offense coming back, the Orange will be well served to have as good an offense as possible. I don't know how things work with NIL and scholarship money, but if a top player like Devon McLane from Brown or Jack Boyden from Tufts show an interest or willingness to come to Syracuse I think they should pursue it. They don't need to bring in two or three "maybe" players at this point and see if they strike gold, but a proven guy who fits in with what they are trying to do I think makes a lot of sense. Especially if that player is a strong dodger who can free Spallina from pressure.
I’m in agreement but like you say I think it has to be offered only for top players. I don’t want someone who is only about as good as sophomore Luke Rhoa or Kempney with his upside to be taking their spots. Also it really seems like gait does not love playing a third middie line all that much. If we bring someone in to play it means a younger guy with potential will be left with next to nothing for playing time. It has to be a guy where those negatives are something we can live with. I would rather give our young guns more experience than bringing in Lehighs third best offensive player or something like that to take a second line middie spot.

Obviously not the main takeaway but interesting that Rakower is going to Duke. Rumors on FanLax have said Irelan is down to Duke and Hopkins as his last two. He’d be a big pickup for whoever lands him, and those two need him most of all when it comes to contending teams for next year. Does this indicate Irelan is Hopkins bound? Perhaps Rakower just really wants to go to Duke and doesn’t care much about playing time (see Jamie Zusi last year).

Obviously not the main takeaway but interesting that Rakower is going to Duke. Rumors on FanLax have said Irelan is down to Duke and Hopkins as his last two. He’d be a big pickup for whoever lands him, and those two need him most of all when it comes to contending teams for next year. Does this indicate Irelan is Hopkins bound? Perhaps Rakower just really wants to go to Duke and doesn’t care much about playing time (see Jamie Zusi last year).
i'm posting it on the hop thread so they can get all ahead of themselves on ierlan and the ff.

whisperings of vardaro perhaps to duke

pederson is deciding between several elite options. duke, maryland, michigan, maybe one other

Def need two solid dmids are ones that can be solid. Fogo who can win least 50% would make me happy along with guys we got. Feel they can still get better their young enough n seems to still work hard plus went thru a guntlet of top fogos. I really don’t wish for any offense guys as think who we have will be very good and young talent we have. Also feel our defensive guys are gonna be good. If there is a stud long pole to grab n have chance then sure. Really think if got rid of weak link(kol) think defense be solid. We have some highly rated young dpoles that most didn’t play single min n some only on man down. Will say wouldn’t mind bonomi from mich to improve our midfield but don’t think have to. We def need whoever takes 3rd attack spot has to be able to dodge n draw slides. I would love birt there next year and move cohen on 2nd line. But doubt that would happen. Honestly if cohen was bigger (taller) i’d say move him to attack but that be very small line with spallina hiltz n him. Grant they ride pretty good also. Don’t think finn is fast enough for riding n think he struggles to beat dmids let alone long pole to be attack. But sure gait knows better then me.

whisperings of vardaro perhaps to duke

pederson is deciding between several elite options. duke, maryland, michigan, maybe one other

Vardaro to Duke makes sense. They lose Leadmon and if you had to make one complaint about them it’s that their midfield is a little subpar (at least compared to past Duke teams). If everyone comes back I think regardless of how the final four goes this weekend, they would be my preseason number one for next year.

Peterson I’m sure will be highly sought after. Maryland fans seem to think Trader is done with lacrosse and will focus on football. Probably means they will be aggressive for ssdm help.

Georgetown fans have hinted at the Hoyas landing a top transfer. I had guessed it would be one of the Princeton midfielders but perhaps not. Maybe McLane?

Damn Eli Fisher is going to Ohio State? Man I hope they tried to get him and he chose Ohio State. I'm telling u he's gonna be a solid SSDM for them. He has the size, speed and toughness along with offensive skill too. He could have maybe started with Rice or at least been a solid 2nd line SSDM. Idk if they went after him tho because I would think SU is in a better position to win and the history. Would feel a lot better if they at least added him with the ones u mentioned above. I love Rosa but would rather see him just play man down. Hopefully Trujillo is ready to contribute next yr. He's gonna be needed.

Damn Eli Fisher is going to Ohio State? Man I hope they tried to get him and he chose Ohio State. I'm telling u he's gonna be a solid SSDM for them. He has the size, speed and toughness along with offensive skill too. He could have maybe started with Rice or at least been a solid 2nd line SSDM. Idk if they went after him tho because I would think SU is in a better position to win and the history. Would feel a lot better if they at least added him with the ones u mentioned above. I love Rosa but would rather see him just play man down. Hopefully Trujillo is ready to contribute next yr. He's gonna be needed.
Rosa made a post on IG a couple weeks back with the caption "Take Care" with some pics of his time at 'Cuse. I don't know anything, but that post to me seemed like a farewell. Could be wrong though. Wish him well with whatever he decides to do-- however, I wouldn't mind him moving on and us moving on. Certainly appreciate what he's done for us and the fact he is 'cuse through and thorough, I just don't know a nicer way to put it, so forgive me lol.

Vardaro to Duke makes sense. They lose Leadmon and if you had to make one complaint about them it’s that their midfield is a little subpar (at least compared to past Duke teams). If everyone comes back I think regardless of how the final four goes this weekend, they would be my preseason number one for next year.

Peterson I’m sure will be highly sought after. Maryland fans seem to think Trader is done with lacrosse and will focus on football. Probably means they will be aggressive for ssdm help.

Georgetown fans have hinted at the Hoyas landing a top transfer. I had guessed it would be one of the Princeton midfielders but perhaps not. Maybe McLane?

Maybe Slusher?

Huge credit to the staff for getting this done. Syracuse is bringing in two tremendous players that I'm sure pretty much every team in the country wanted. Initially when news came out that the Princeton players were entering the portal, I thought given their connections to Pat March, and to Culver/Hiltz there was a chance that they could land these two. It's great to see a theory come true, especially when it makes the team better.

I think a lot of people wrote Syracuse off as a player for Ivy League transfers, so its also nice to see them dispel that notion. Also I'm guessing that Alex Simmons enjoyed his experience enough at SU to vouch for it to two former teammates. That's also very encouraging. Now if they can just convince one more Culver grad to finish his career in CNY ...

hearing devon mclane to notre dame and bing's thomas greenblatt to ohio state

Mclane to ND is interesting, assuming he's staying at attack they must expect Taylor or someone else to leave as all 3 attackmen have eligibility to return. Perhaps they move him to midfield.

McLane to ND would certainly be curious. Even if Taylor doesn't come back you'd have three righties on attack if McLane replaces him. A lot was made of the fact that the ND attack was out of sorts before Taylor entered the starting lineup last year. Adding a third righty to the group, no matter how good they are could create similar issues. Perhaps Jeremy is right and they want him at midfield. I thought Mule from Lehigh made more sense for them. I thought McLane could be a good addition to SU.

I won't pretend to know who Greenblatt is but he's got really good numbers - 58 points for a midfielder and second leading scorer for Binghamton. The Bearcats had a really easy schedule last year but those a good numbers regardless. Looks like Myers is going hard in the portal again, fanlax lists them with four new players so far this spring.

For those the do not spend anytime over at Fanlax someone posted the following on the Syracuse page earlier today:

I'm hearing that 'Cuse might not be done mining for Ivy league grad transfers -- they are pushing hard to bring on board the Brown FOGO but he's got multiple offers so it's not clear where he'll end up.

If true about the Brown FOGO maybe the rumor about the kid from Denver isn't true, or he's already going elsewhere? Or they are not taking any chances of not improving the position this offseason?

For those the do not spend anytime over at Fanlax someone posted the following on the Syracuse page earlier today:

I'm hearing that 'Cuse might not be done mining for Ivy league grad transfers -- they are pushing hard to bring on board the Brown FOGO but he's got multiple offers so it's not clear where he'll end up.

If true about the Brown FOGO maybe the rumor about the kid from Denver isn't true, or he's already going elsewhere? Or they are not taking any chances of not improving the position this offseason?

I saw that as well. I had thought the move for the the DU fogo was kind of a done deal based on what I’d read on the boards and that lax factor tweet a while ago. But of course rumors can take on a life of their own in the digital age. Stathkis, to the best of my knowledge isn’t even in the portal as of now.

If it is true (it could not be), it’s encouraging that they are going hard after Gunty, but I had been feeling good about something that looked like a done deal. Stathkis seems to make a lot of sense on paper given his background, therefore more likely. But I’d be absolutely thrilled if they landed either fogo. If they don’t then I start getting real nervous.

I saw that as well. I had thought the move for the the DU fogo was kind of a done deal based on what I’d read on the boards and that lax factor tweet a while ago. But of course rumors can take on a life of their own in the digital age. Stathkis, to the best of my knowledge isn’t even in the portal as of now.

If it is true (it could not be), it’s encouraging that they are going hard after Gunty, but I had been feeling good about something that looked like a done deal. Stathkis seems to make a lot of sense on paper given his background, therefore more likely. But I’d be absolutely thrilled if they landed either fogo. If they don’t then I start getting real nervous.
Doesn’t Denver operate on trimesters? Perhaps he’s waiting for the trimester to end before entering.

you do know that laxfactor just gets his info from here right? dude doesn't know anything

stathakis is not in the portal

Doesn’t Denver operate on trimesters? Perhaps he’s waiting for the trimester to end before entering.
Capture.JPG

Ughh I wanted SU to pick up Eli Fisher. He's exactly what we needed. A tall, athletic and physical SSDM. Could cover the bigger mids which is what we lacked last yr. Oh well hopefully someone else pops up in the portal.