2024 Transfer Thread | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Transfer Thread

At least two more d3 all Americans coming, might be 1 more.
brecht, gait and galloway have a bet or something? is this before or after a fogo? i take it cuse has a small recruiting class coming in.

brecht, gait and galloway have a bet or something? is this before or after a fogo? i take it cuse has a small recruiting class coming in.

Mostly trying to bridge the gap for 1 year for certain positions ie the two middies. Mule was brought in because SU needs a dodging attackmen, they don't really have one in the projected starting lineup and they don't want to move Leo from midfield. FOGO and SSDM needs help and while 2 good fogos are coming in you can't put all the eggs in a frosh basket.

Mostly trying to bridge the gap for 1 year for certain positions ie the two middies. Mule was brought in because SU needs a dodging attackmen, they don't really have one in the projected starting lineup and they don't want to move Leo from midfield. FOGO and SSDM needs help and while 2 good fogos are coming in you can't put all the eggs in a frosh basket.
The ACC teams we lost to last year are stacked with talent and not losing all that much. And they are also not done adding from the portal themselves with plenty of big names still in play. I’m sure we were not the only ACC team going after Mule. That plus a freshman class that does not have as many guys guaranteed to go off from day one and it is a move I understand.

Just really really hope we are entirely done on the offensive end. The only reason I am fine with the amount on that end now is because stevens is not an entirely offensive player. We are already pretty stacked there and have guys who could take a big leap as sophomores.

Just really really hope we are entirely done on the offensive end. The only reason I am fine with the amount on that end now is because stevens is not an entirely offensive player. We are already pretty stacked there and have guys who could take a big leap as sophomores.

Not sure if I agree or disagree with you. I think it all depends on who the potential player is. As of now there appears to be no more room at the inn on the offensive side of the ball. They lost three seniors in Cook, Kirst and Simmons. They return six starters from last year in Spallina, Hiltz, Birtwistle, Thomson, Leo and Rhoa. They are bringing in three transfers in English, Stevens and Mule. I'm not mathematician but that's nine guys for nine spots.

I guess the question is what to do if someone like Jack Boyden or Josh Zawada show interest? I can't imagine they would turn players like that away. I think either of those two guys would fit in really well with the offense. But who would sit for them? Anyways, good problem to have, I think.

One last point, but outside of Spallina and Hiltz at attack, and English at first midfield, who plays where seems rather up in the air. It seems like Mule and Birtwitstle could play anywhere from attack to first or second midfield. Thomson could see time at attack or midfield. Leo could presumably be bumped to the second line for Mule since both are lefties. Rhoa or Stevens could see time at first or second line. The fact that there is still no sure thing on attack next to Hiltz and Spallina just makes me wonder if the transfer additions are indeed finished.

Not sure if I agree or disagree with you. I think it all depends on who the potential player is. As of now there appears to be no more room at the inn on the offensive side of the ball. They lost three seniors in Cook, Kirst and Simmons. They return six starters from last year in Spallina, Hiltz, Birtwistle, Thomson, Leo and Rhoa. They are bringing in three transfers in English, Stevens and Mule. I'm not mathematician but that's nine guys for nine spots.

I guess the question is what to do if someone like Jack Boyden or Josh Zawada show interest? I can't imagine they would turn players like that away. I think either of those two guys would fit in really well with the offense. But who would sit for them? Anyways, good problem to have, I think.

One last point, but outside of Spallina and Hiltz at attack, and English at first midfield, who plays where seems rather up in the air. It seems like Mule and Birtwitstle could play anywhere from attack to first or second midfield. Thomson could see time at attack or midfield. Leo could presumably be bumped to the second line for Mule since both are lefties. Rhoa or Stevens could see time at first or second line. The fact that there is still no sure thing on attack next to Hiltz and Spallina just makes me wonder if the transfer additions are indeed finished.
I think at some point, no matter how good the player in question is, you have to consider that 1) all of these new faces will be immediately gone the following year 2) the chemistry developed between the core group the year before taking a hit due to the time to integrate the new faces to the system 3) the stunt in development/experience to younger players with a very high ceiling like Thomson and Leo 4) the threat of those same players hitting the portal due to lack of playing time/starting minutes 5) the effect it can have on incoming recruits choosing the school since they worry a whole new troop of transfers will be constantly taking their spot.

It is a long list of cons. Granted the big pro is you have another total stud in your offense and it becomes even more of a match up nightmare for defenses for a year, but the long term effects can be severe. Two of the most prominent transfer destinations recently have been duke and Gtown. Regularly a starter spot has been taken by a high end transfer at those schools. Duke just lost #1 commit Millon and GTown just lost basically the #1 committ in Kabiri. I would not be surprised at all if their worries about a Dordevic/Minicus/Trippi or Lulley/Sowers/Shelling type transfer was a factor in those decisions. Does a guy like Payton Anderson start to get cold feet if we keep bringing in an attack starter year after year?

A positive example is of course 2022 Maryland, but they also had the best fogo and one of the best defenses/rope units in the country, which were huge parts of their success. We very much do not have that now and a new strictly offensive stud does not bring us any closer to that. Zawada joining does not bring us that much closer to a ring. Beau Pederson if we had landed him would have a relatively massive impact.

We were top 5 in adjusted efficiency on offense last year and lose only two key guys. This is not a Rutgers or UNC situation where everyone from last year is out and we have a gazillion points to replace. We have plenty of dodging and plenty of playmakers too. Is it worth introducing that list of cons into the mix all for one year of a guy who may or may not fit in with the offense/live up to the expectations? I feel like any additional effort spent on offensive transfers would be a bajillion times more valuable going after 1 or 2 at defense/fogo, areas where we actually need help right now.

Should be worth tuning in for Ty’s segment. Maybe he’s got a fogo update?

Nice interview with Xanders. He sounds very high on the Orange's recent additions in the transfer portal. Likes both Stevens and English as two was players, which is encouraging since Syracuse hasn't really had two-way middies for a while now. He also just seems very high on them as people which is also great from a leadership standpoint. He thought Wright was the best defender available (though there isn't much competition). Ty thinks Mule will take a lot of pressure off Spallina as a ball carrier and he sees him at attack. Xanders agrees with DoctorLexus that the Orange shouldn't go after more offensive players (just his opinion).

According to Xanders, as for face-off he says that SU is going hard after Gunty, and that Petro specifically is leading that recruitment (he recruited him to go to Hopkins previously). Someone on the fanlax board (with the name BrownDad, so you'd think they'd be plugged in) said Gunty was moving on from lacrosse, so I'm not sure what to believe there. Perhaps Xanders has old info or the anonymous message board poster does?

Nyc lax thought Mathew Dezousa was out of the portal but according to Xanders he is still in. It sounds like if the Orange don't land Gunty they will wait to see who else enters before going after anyone already in. Mason Kohn from Tufts (best in DIII) is apparently not in the portal now but could enter soon. Was hoping to get more concrete information but its good to get an update. Hope that covers it all.

Last edited:
Nice interview with Xanders. He sounds very high on the Orange's recent additions in the transfer portal. Likes both Stevens and English as two was players, which is encouraging since Syracuse hasn't really had two-way middies for a while now. He also just seems very high on them as people which is also great from a leadership standpoint. He thought Wright was the best defender available (though there isn't much competition). Ty thinks Mule will take a lot of pressure off Spallina as a ball carrier and he sees him at attack. Xanders agrees with DoctorLexus that the Orange shouldn't go after more offensive players (just his opinion).

According to Xanders, as for face-off he says that SU is going hard after Gunty, and that Petro specifically is leading that recruitment (he recruited him to go to Hopkins previously). Someone on the fanlax board (with the name BrownDad, so you'd think they'd be plugged in) said Gunty was moving on from lacrosse, so I'm not sure what to believe there. Perhaps Xanders has old info or the anonymous message board poster is?

Nyc lax thought Mathew Dezousa was out of the portal but according to Xanders he is still in. It sounds like if the Orange don't land Gunty they will wait to see who else enters before going after anyone already in. Mason Kohn from Tufts (best in DIII) is apparently not in the portal now but could enter soon. Was hoping to get more concrete information but its good to get an update. Hope that covers it all.

I think Ty's info maybe a little out of date as Gunty deciding to move on was reported by a couple of different posters though we clearly don't have anything concrete. The FOGO position has been the one slow moving position in the portal. Seems teams are clearly waiting to see who else pops in including potentially Kohn and Stathakis and maybe others.

According to Xanders, as for face-off he says that SU is going hard after Gunty, and that Petro specifically is leading that recruitment (he recruited him to go to Hopkins previously). Someone on the fanlax board (with the name BrownDad, so you'd think they'd be plugged in) said Gunty was moving on from lacrosse, so I'm not sure what to believe there. Perhaps Xanders has old info or the anonymous message board poster is?

Listened also.. as far as him giving up anything..he not going to.. lol.. I’m sure he knows some stuff but like he said with the Princeton kids.. he knew in December but they kept it under wraps.. feel the same here. I think he respects to players and the college programs too much for letting stuff slipe.He’s very professional.

desouza could still be in the portal i just know he has a job lined up. maybe he is trying to get it deferred for a year