2025 Transfer Thread | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

2025 Transfer Thread

No desperate needs on offense. Practically zero room at the inn when you consider guys like Deere and Anderson are knocking on the door. Something like Hiltz not using his 5th year would have changed things, but that did not happen. Does not surprise me we did not land a name there, and it is possible we did not pursue any strictly offensive players.

Wish we had one more ssdm type in the mix (or another two way middie faceoff wing type guy), but there is minimal talent in the portal at that position this year. Turrini could have maaaybe competed for our backup ssdm spots, but not good enough to start. LSM is the other question mark, but Grace is a quality addition there. Cant really complain about what we did given the options in the portal this year.

I doubt our roster trimming goals got in the way of transfers. That most likely goes into effect the year after next, so would not be a factor for a one year grad transfer we land this season. Even if it goes into effect this upcoming season, I am sure we would find a way to make room for the right portal addition. Highly doubt that is the reason for minimal portal adds this year.

I would disagree about the minimal talent at SSDM in the portal point. Jack Monfort, Paul Weathington, Jack Erb, Zach Goorno, Andrew O'Berry are all players I think could have suited up for the Orange this year, and that's not including Patrick Hackler who is more of an all-around guy. Not sure if there are sure thing lock down guys in that group, but I think they all would have been upgrades for Syracuse.

SU does return everyone at the position who saw meaningful time last year, and that includes a lot of names - Carter Rice, Nate LeVine, Jake Spallina, Wyatt Hottle, and added the transfer from St Johns. Perhaps the coaches are higher on the talent they have than we are and feel good about developing them. As covered previously but they lost two guys who were supposed to see starters minutes last year in Landon Clary and Max Rosa. With a full fall ball and preseason to prepare, perhaps we see a big jump from players like Spallina or LeVine.

Offensively, I agree. Most of the talent in the portal was not what SU really needed to add. Hackett, Balsamo, Bryce Ford, Matthew Keegan were probably the top offensive transfers available and they are all lefties. SU has a plethora of lefties already, Owen Hiltz, Michael Leo, Payton Anderson, Trey Deere. One thing SU did not need was another lefty. The righties available all have/had questions, Chris Patterson, minimal output for Hobart, Owen Murphy and Eric Malever, decrease in productivity, Graham Blake, mostly a finisher, etc. Griffin Turner, Nick Dupis and Jack Dowd may be the exceptions. What SU probably needed was a strong right handed dodging attackman, and I don't think that was available in the portal. Perfectly reasoable to think they can figure it out with Deere, Anderson or Leo at attack.

I would disagree about the minimal talent at SSDM in the portal point. Jack Monfort, Paul Weathington, Jack Erb, Zach Goorno, Andrew O'Berry are all players I think could have suited up for the Orange this year, and that's not including Patrick Hackler who is more of an all-around guy. Not sure if there are sure thing lock down guys in that group, but I think they all would have been upgrades for Syracuse.

SU does return everyone at the position who saw meaningful time last year, and that includes a lot of names - Carter Rice, Nate LeVine, Jake Spallina, Wyatt Hottle, and added the transfer from St Johns. Perhaps the coaches are higher on the talent they have than we are and feel good about developing them. As covered previously but they lost two guys who were supposed to see starters minutes last year in Landon Clary and Max Rosa. With a full fall ball and preseason to prepare, perhaps we see a big jump from players like Spallina or LeVine.

Offensively, I agree. Most of the talent in the portal was not what SU really needed to add. Hackett, Balsamo, Bryce Ford, Matthew Keegan were probably the top offensive transfers available and they are all lefties. SU has a plethora of lefties already, Owen Hiltz, Michael Leo, Payton Anderson, Trey Deere. One thing SU did not need was another lefty. The righties available all have/had questions, Chris Patterson, minimal output for Hobart, Owen Murphy and Eric Malever, decrease in productivity, Graham Blake, mostly a finisher, etc. Griffin Turner, Nick Dupis and Jack Dowd may be the exceptions. What SU probably needed was a strong right handed dodging attackman, and I don't think that was available in the portal. Perfectly reasoable to think they can figure it out with Deere, Anderson or Leo at attack.
Powellfan: Question re Donny Scott - Will he definitely be a Close D or could he be an SSDM? He's been very impressive playing with a short stick as a D this Summer for Orangeville in the OJLL. They start the second round of the playoffs on Sunday and most, if not all, games will likely be Live on YouTube. I enourage SU fans to watch him play (in addition to Joey and Trey, of course). BTW - many past games are available on YouTube on the OJLL channel. Thanks for any comments.

Powellfan: Question re Donny Scott - Will he definitely be a Close D or could he be an SSDM? He's been very impressive playing with a short stick as a D this Summer for Orangeville in the OJLL. They start the second round of the playoffs on Sunday and most, if not all, games will likely be Live on YouTube. I enourage SU fans to watch him play (in addition to Joey and Trey, of course). BTW - many past games are available on YouTube on the OJLL channel. Thanks for any comments.

That's a good question. I'm honestly not sure. On paper, the biggest need is SSDM, but I'm not sure I can see him making that switch for the field game. Plus, in that picture they posted of him in the late Spring, he was holding a long stick at practice.

Close defense seem to have the most depth, they return all three starters plus Nick Caccamo who played a good amount last year. Plus they welcome a top recruit in Dillon Stephens. That said, it seemed like they never really established someone at that third spot last year. Kol and Caccamo would have some good games, and also put up some stinkers. Kol was guilty of ball watching a bunch, and he struggled with faster attackmen. Caccamo struggled with physical attackmen. With Figuerias and Dwan established, it's really important that they nail down that third spot.

I think he ends up at LSM, if only because that's where the most questions are. Mike Grace is the presumed starter here, but he'll be transitioning from the DIII ranks and is coming off an injury that seemed to hinder him last year. The top three LSMs last year are all gone. The backups are probably Dylan Sageder, who didn't' see much playing time last year (mostly man-down) and Vincent Bolognino, a highly rated freshman. Playing up top and coming off a knee injury worries me a bit, but he's played all summer so one would think he's in pretty good shape there.

Anyways, just a guess on my part. I'd probably rank the likelihood as 1) LSM 2) Close and 3) SSDM.

Hackler is the one I am still kinda bummed about since he could fill that Stevens two way role. Most of the others I agree could suit up for us, but are not necessarily game changers/guaranteed starters. More like depth pieces. I also assume an effort was made with some of those guys, especially Hackler. We have to trust our own depth at this point. There are speedy guys like Kempney waiting in the wings who are hopefully ready for that next step. Guys like McIntee could come in and play a similar freshman role to Hottle last year.

i cant speak for the others but cuse was interested in hackler as was every top team in the country. however he really only ever considered notre dame and hop from what i understand...quickly became a two horse race

i cant speak for the others but cuse was interested in hackler as was every top team in the country. however he really only ever considered notre dame and hop from what i understand...quickly became a two horse race

I can confirm Cuse was after Hackler but appears education was a big factor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom