2025 Transfer Thread | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

2025 Transfer Thread

think maby wanted to play with his brother ? Think if he stayed would have good chance at playing time next year as don’t have many lsm. As said he was on the man down unit. And always happens at duke guys go there don’t see any time yet people keep going and going there don’t understand. Hope jordan vincent decides to stay (playing box with fin now). Maby he wants to see how he does with short stick to play dmid for us. The very limit time seen vincent on field he looked like dude who just wants to cause havoc to other teams. Not sure how skilled but i love dudes who just go balls to walls.

I think it's likely Danowski brought him in because of his brother but they don't match up as his brother won't be on campus till summer 2025.

As for next year I have to unfortunately disagree, he was unlikely to see the field regularly beyond the man down unit. Good kid but he's not a starter or key backup at this level.

I think it's likely Danowski brought him in because of his brother but they don't match up as his brother won't be on campus till summer 2025.

As for next year I have to unfortunately disagree, he was unlikely to see the field regularly beyond the man down unit. Good kid but he's not a starter or key backup at this level.
could he have two years of eligibility? he only played in 1 game in 2022 and none in 2021...maybe he is in a two year program at duke

hearing its probably albany or st joes for marquis...i dont believe cuse is in play there but could be wrong

There's a post on our board that FOGO John Totaro (New Canaan, CT) is transferring to UVa from Denver. He was a redshirt last season, so he'll have 4 years of eligibility.

could he have two years of eligibility? he only played in 1 game in 2022 and none in 2021...maybe he is in a two year program at duke

hearing its probably albany or st joes for marquis...i dont believe cuse is in play there but could be wrong

He could potentially make a case to the NCAA for a med-redshirt for 2022, however, I am fairly certain his lack of PT was simply a coaches decision versus being hurt. I know a few schools have petitioned for extra years where players only played a few games and it didn't appear to be injury related at all.

I think Hopkins as an example has had some success as I am pretty sure its how they got Degnon another year and I believe it's their hope with Scott Smith as well.

Agree on Marquis, from what I know/heard SU is not pursuing him.

English and Hiltz are extremely likely to be back. 99.99%. Not in the portal and not in any of the pro league drafts. English is in a 2 year grad program at cuse.

Kohn is the one total wild card.

English is almost guaranteed to come back. If his LinkedIn is accurate, it states he will be at Syracuse for '24 and '25. I've seen it mentioned multiple places he will be back, and he would most certainly have been drafted in the PLL had he planned to enter.

I feel like if Hiltz weren't coming back, we would have heard by now. He does not have a LinkedIn account (no surprise there), so it's hard to parse much info publicly. But he would have been in the mix to be drafted by the pro leagues, and if he entered the portal, that would be big news (like Lexus pointed out). No news regarding Hiltz, to me is good news.

Kohn I don't think is coming back. Going back to the LinkedIn well, his profile says he is at Syracuse for '23-'24. The first thing in his bio is "Incoming J.D Candidate at UCLA School of Law". He was of course going there before he started at SU, but this seems to signal his time at SU is over. I hope to be wrong, I'm not sure how meticulous he keeps up with updating his account, but to me it seems he's moved on.

English is almost guaranteed to come back. If his LinkedIn is accurate, it states he will be at Syracuse for '24 and '25. I've seen it mentioned multiple places he will be back, and he would most certainly have been drafted in the PLL had he planned to enter.

I feel like if Hiltz weren't coming back, we would have heard by now. He does not have a LinkedIn account (no surprise there), so it's hard to parse much info publicly. But he would have been in the mix to be drafted by the pro leagues, and if he entered the portal, that would be big news (like Lexus pointed out). No news regarding Hiltz, to me is good news.

Kohn I don't think is coming back. Going back to the LinkedIn well, his profile says he is at Syracuse for '23-'24. The first thing in his bio is "Incoming J.D Candidate at UCLA School of Law". He was of course going there before he started at SU, but this seems to signal his time at SU is over. I hope to be wrong, I'm not sure how meticulous he keeps up with updating his account, but to me it seems he's moved on.
English and Hiltz will be back. Apparently Kohn is in the new team message group but it’s still unclear if that means he is returning.

All things considered we have to be pleased where we are, no? Especially after that ominous Friday when that nerd Jordie from Barstool made it sound like they were getting rid of the program.

Hiltz was interviewed after a box game in Canada last week and talked about SU and how next yr they only really lost 1 guy on offense then a few on D so he thinks SU can compete for a title next season. He was talking like he can't wait for next season.

All things considered we have to be pleased where we are, no? Especially after that ominous Friday when that nerd Jordie from Barstool made it sound like they were getting rid of the program.
In an ideal world we do not even have rumors of big transfers, but given that nobody projected to get serious minutes next year left, hard not to be pleased with where we are at. Not even an Aviles type grad transfer. Would still like to see a little more done about ssdm, but we have a little time to get creative there. LSM we have an ideal transfer and those are the only areas where we could have used the portal.

Things maybe almost happening is not enough to concern me. Other schools certainly deal with the same situations, but rumors about them do not spread like they do for cuse guys. We have had legitimately bad things happen in the offseason plenty of years, so a bad thing almost happening is a welcome change.

Hiltz was interviewed after a box game in Canada last week and talked about SU and how next yr they only really lost 1 guy on offense then a few on D so he thinks SU can compete for a title next season. He was talking like he can't wait for next season.

Hiltz and English are both returning, Hiltz rumor was something from the beginning of the year and died on the vine.

In an ideal world we do not even have rumors of big transfers, but given that nobody projected to get serious minutes next year left, hard not to be pleased with where we are at. Not even an Aviles type grad transfer. Would still like to see a little more done about ssdm, but we have a little time to get creative there. LSM we have an ideal transfer and those are the only areas where we could have used the portal.

Things maybe almost happening is not enough to concern me. Other schools certainly deal with the same situations, but rumors about them do not spread like they do for cuse guys. We have had legitimately bad things happen in the offseason plenty of years, so a bad thing almost happening is a welcome change.

I'd say the same areas of concern that existed before the off season began are still there. But like you said, no other "real" issues have popped up, so that is a win, in and of itself. And all things considered, compared to other teams, the areas of concern that Syracuse has are a lot easier to deal with. Most other contending teams lost a LOT more than SU did. Syracuse will have their core players entering their junior season. That's a huge advantage. The biggest areas of concern for Syracuse, to me, are still as follows:

1. SSDM play - They supplemented a bit with Ryder Ochoa, and lost Vincent Trujilio to Loyola. All in all it seems like a wash. Perhaps someone like Jake Spallina or Nate LaVine takes a huge step forward like Carter Rice did last year. Fingers crossed Nick Turrini from Lehigh wants to follow in the lineage of Cole Kirst and Christian Mule.

2. Offensive dodging - I'm not sure how to classify this one. I feel like SU would be helped by adding one more guy on offense, but the transfer portal doesn't seem to have many obvious options. And all things considered, the Orange are in a good spot with seven of their top nine returning, and they are adding a five star recruit to the mix in Payton Anderson.

And there might just be something said for sticking to your own guys and developing them. SU has been recruiting well these last few years and they have a decent amount of young players to pull from. If they can't find a surefire attackman, they are looking at filling a second line midfield role. It's hard to recruit a grad transfer to that role. They are probably better off filing that role naturally and hoping a young player can take the reins. Matt McIntee, Tucker Kellogg, Tyler McCartney, Wyatt Hottle, Carter Kempney are all names that seem worth investing in.

3. Goalie - Things seems to be pointing in Jimmy McCool's direction. A lot of pressure on the youngster, but if you want a guy to replace your starting All American goalie, it's good to have a five star recruit waiting in the wings. If it's true that SU didn't go after local grad transfer Luke Staudt because they were confident in McCool, that would be a great sign.

4. The Joey Spallina "Divide" - This can't be "fixed" in the portal, but one thing that needs to be addressed next year is the way Spallina plays against Top 10 teams vs the way he plays against everyone else. I think a lot of this got blown way out of proportion last year (lots players struggle against better competition). That said, it seemed like the team played one way when Spallina was "on", vs the way he was off. I think the coaches need to try and get him more involved in the bigger games, whether with picks, or off-ball stuff, and not leave him to dodge 1v1 against All Americans (or playing decoy). He's a great player, but it always seemed very strange to me how different they played, based on Spallina's match-up. I think the coaches need to prepare better next season.

I'd say the same areas of concern that existed before the off season began are still there. But like you said, no other "real" issues have popped up, so that is a win, in and of itself. And all things considered, compared to other teams, the areas of concern that Syracuse has are a lot easier to deal with. Most other contending teams lost a LOT more than SU did. Syracuse will have their core players entering their junior season. That's a huge advantage. The biggest areas of concern for Syracuse, to me, are still as follows:

1. SSDM play - They supplemented a bit with Ryder Ochoa, and lost Vincent Trujilio to Loyola. All in all it seems like a wash. Perhaps someone like Jake Spallina or Nate LaVine takes a huge step forward like Carter Rice did last year. Fingers crossed Nick Turrini from Lehigh wants to follow in the lineage of Cole Kirst and Christian Mule.

2. Offensive dodging - I'm not sure how to classify this one. I feel like SU would be helped by adding one more guy on offense, but the transfer portal doesn't seem to have many obvious options. And all things considered, the Orange are in a good spot with seven of their top nine returning, and they are adding a five star recruit to the mix in Payton Anderson.

And there might just be something said for sticking to your own guys and developing them. SU has been recruiting well these last few years and they have a decent amount of young players to pull from. If they can't find a surefire attackman, they are looking at filling a second line midfield role. It's hard to recruit a grad transfer to that role. They are probably better off filing that role naturally and hoping a young player can take the reins. Matt McIntee, Tucker Kellogg, Tyler McCartney, Wyatt Hottle, Carter Kempney are all names that seem worth investing in.

3. Goalie - Things seems to be pointing in Jimmy McCool's direction. A lot of pressure on the youngster, but if you want a guy to replace your starting All American goalie, it's good to have a five star recruit waiting in the wings. If it's true that SU didn't go after local grad transfer Luke Staudt because they were confident in McCool, that would be a great sign.

4. The Joey Spallina "Divide" - This can't be "fixed" in the portal, but one thing that needs to be addressed next year is the way Spallina plays against Top 10 teams vs the way he plays against everyone else. I think a lot of this got blown way out of proportion last year (lots players struggle against better competition). That said, it seemed like the team played one way when Spallina was "on", vs the way he was off. I think the coaches need to try and get him more involved in the bigger games, whether with picks, or off-ball stuff, and not leave him to dodge 1v1 against All Americans (or playing decoy). He's a great player, but it always seemed very strange to me how different they played, based on Spallina's match-up. I think the coaches need to prepare better next season.

I was happy with Levine's play as the season went on. Rice and Levine are more than acceptable in the top 4. What Levine lacked in footspeed he made up for by being a physical matchup. He had a couple welcome to the league moments early but by the end of the year was rarely an issue. Had 7cts on the year, which is good for an SSDM. Would have lead our SSDMs in CTs with that number in 2023.

It is after that where we need more reliable help. Looking back at last year the most likely ssdms to need a slide or give up a goal were 1. Trujillo 2. Spallina 3. Stevens/English when they stayed back on defense 4. Hottle. I am sure we will continue to use English on occasional two way runs and he has the speed to match feet. I thought he also improved there as the season went on. I worry that without a big time portal grab at the position we stick with Hottle at mainly ssdm. That means we do not have his speed on the offensive end, but despite his size he was effective at matching feet last season and with a year of D1 strength training and experience under his belt he could continue to improve in the role, while also of course being a threat in transition. Maybe we try and use him in more of a two way role similar to Stevens and English last year. Between the St. Johns transfer or another portal grab, potential improvement from Spallina and others, and potential freshman filling in a similar role to Spallina and Hottle last year, I think we will be in decent shape filling out the depth.

I had a thought on a player that may be an option for ssdm…Matt McIntee will be a freshman and may not be able to get playing time on the O side but he’s 6’ and has sub 4.5 speed.. just a thought

I had a thought on a player that may be an option for ssdm…Matt McIntee will be a freshman and may not be able to get playing time on the O side but he’s 6’ and has sub 4.5 speed.. just a thought
Better off on offense. A top 73 recruit, especially with a “need for speed” on offense.

I was happy with Levine's play as the season went on. Rice and Levine are more than acceptable in the top 4. What Levine lacked in footspeed he made up for by being a physical matchup. He had a couple welcome to the league moments early but by the end of the year was rarely an issue. Had 7cts on the year, which is good for an SSDM. Would have lead our SSDMs in CTs with that number in 2023.

It is after that where we need more reliable help. Looking back at last year the most likely ssdms to need a slide or give up a goal were 1. Trujillo 2. Spallina 3. Stevens/English when they stayed back on defense 4. Hottle. I am sure we will continue to use English on occasional two way runs and he has the speed to match feet. I thought he also improved there as the season went on. I worry that without a big time portal grab at the position we stick with Hottle at mainly ssdm. That means we do not have his speed on the offensive end, but despite his size he was effective at matching feet last season and with a year of D1 strength training and experience under his belt he could continue to improve in the role, while also of course being a threat in transition. Maybe we try and use him in more of a two way role similar to Stevens and English last year. Between the St. Johns transfer or another portal grab, potential improvement from Spallina and others, and potential freshman filling in a similar role to Spallina and Hottle last year, I think we will be in decent shape filling out the depth.

All good points. I think the issue, for me at least, with LeVine is that he didn't really make a lot of contact when he played defense. He didn't stay on hands, he just kind of stood in front of opposing players. He needs to get a lot more aggressive. That all said, I don't think he, or the coaches thought he was going to be a starter last year (they lost Rosa and Clary early to injury, Trujilio was benched). Perhaps with a full offseason knowing the expectations, he comes back more prepared. The tools are there for him, and he has the thing you can't coach (size), so there is definitely upside.

Hottle is the opposite of LeVine. He was great at making contact and keeping guys in front of him, has amazing footwork. It was just at least once a game he gets matched up against a much bigger player, and a goal is given up. If you could guarantee he would only match up against the guys under 6', I'd say great, make him a starter. But teams were switching to him on purpose to get those matchups. I'm very curious to see if the coaches want him back on defense next year, or if they want him to play offense. If you combined the best of Hottle and LeVine, you'd get the perfect SSDM. Alas.

The one photo of Scott they posted last year he was definitely holding a long stick. It's always weird to me why they don't take more LSMs and move them to short stick in college, but coaches must know something I don't. He obviously plays short stick in the summer during box, but I have to imagine he'll play long stick somewhere.

I think still chrisshawn hunter possibly has making of dmid. He’s got decent size n good speed( from limited videos of him i’ve seen). Not sure his talent level is there for anything on offense. But coaches have to be able to teach and groom these kids into what they need. Also agree need to game plan better for spallina involved. To many times in my eyes him and hiltz just were these but not involved. Put spallina on crease so his guy is in slide package i don’t know. He has good hands to score inside. Also think all need to improve to get some kind of range shooting. As most teams were giving us those shots. We start taking and burying those, defense will be forced to not stack middle to press out and then boys can do what they normally do feast.

I thought this podcast was well done by Foy and Kinnear. IL should do more of these things, where they just offer their opinions and speculations. Especially in the offseason, this stuff is fun to banter about. The coaching stuff was of less interest to me, but informative for anyone who had a staff shakeup this offseason.

In the transfer portion of the pod, they did a "impact transfer snake draft". Mike Grace was picked fourth by Kinnear, (Hackett, Gianforcaro and Staudt were picked ahead of him). Kinnear did say he was playing while injured for most of the year last year, and played on a partially torn PCL in the title game. How he comes back from injury, and how long it takes him will be something to watch. Still, seems like a promising pickup. Foy thought he might have two years of eligibility.

Surprisingly, Foy selected Vinnie Trujilio as his last impact transfer. I think his argument was mostly that Loyola produces very good SSDMs, so perhaps the staff there could turn things around for Trujlio. It was a head scratching selection since they left off players like Bryce Ford, Matthew Keegan, Jack Aimone, Aidan Blake, Spencer Wertheim, and Nick Dupuis, etc. Make of it what you will. He also said about the Syracuse SSDM group, that since they played so many guys, perhaps that was a sign they didn't have the right guys. Essentially, if you play two quarterbacks, you have none.

Some random notes - Kinnear said it seemed like Malever had been planning to transfer since before the season ended, and that it wasn't a surprise that he entered the portal. Also that Hackler was deciding between Hopkins and Notre Dame, doesn't appear that Syracuse was in the running for his services.

They also did a draft of best available players, which if I remember went, Griffin Turner (since committed to OSU), Owen Murphy, Mitch Dunham (Mt St Mary's), Dutch Furlong, Kolton Marquis and Tommy Barnds (who may or may not decide to hang it up).

In his most recent newsletter, Lars mentioned the possibility of picking up a third portal transfer in addition to Balsamo and Hackett. Of course, he's prohibited from mentioning a name ATT.

I thought this podcast was well done by Foy and Kinnear. IL should do more of these things, where they just offer their opinions and speculations. Especially in the offseason, this stuff is fun to banter about. The coaching stuff was of less interest to me, but informative for anyone who had a staff shakeup this offseason.

In the transfer portion of the pod, they did a "impact transfer snake draft". Mike Grace was picked fourth by Kinnear, (Hackett, Gianforcaro and Staudt were picked ahead of him). Kinnear did say he was playing while injured for most of the year last year, and played on a partially torn PCL in the title game. How he comes back from injury, and how long it takes him will be something to watch. Still, seems like a promising pickup. Foy thought he might have two years of eligibility.

Surprisingly, Foy selected Vinnie Trujilio as his last impact transfer. I think his argument was mostly that Loyola produces very good SSDMs, so perhaps the staff there could turn things around for Trujlio. It was a head scratching selection since they left off players like Bryce Ford, Matthew Keegan, Jack Aimone, Aidan Blake, Spencer Wertheim, and Nick Dupuis, etc. Make of it what you will. He also said about the Syracuse SSDM group, that since they played so many guys, perhaps that was a sign they didn't have the right guys. Essentially, if you play two quarterbacks, you have none.

Some random notes - Kinnear said it seemed like Malever had been planning to transfer since before the season ended, and that it wasn't a surprise that he entered the portal. Also that Hackler was deciding between Hopkins and Notre Dame, doesn't appear that Syracuse was in the running for his services.

They also did a draft of best available players, which if I remember went, Griffin Turner (since committed to OSU), Owen Murphy, Mitch Dunham (Mt St Mary's), Dutch Furlong, Kolton Marquis and Tommy Barnds (who may or may not decide to hang it up).

I probably wouldn't be willing to listen through such a thing.

I look at AJ Hernandez as the Terps most impactful transfer. It is, of course, a little unfair as he has 3 years of eligibility left. Hernandez was IL's #55 recruit in 2022 and had moved into the starting line-up in the 2nd half of the 2023 season at Navy, but sat out last season.

Apparently, D.Kelly is set to return next year for the Terps, so that would mean that you would have 3 lefty attackmen (Keegan, Bryce Ford) fighting for the 1 spot. Perhaps 1 could shift out to the midfield. Of course, you also have NB AA Johnny Gardiner showing up too.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom