2025 Transfer Thread | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2025 Transfer Thread

staudt is much more battled tested too...he has played (and played well for the most part) against hop, gtown, maryland, duke, army, rutgers, and more in the last two years. not his fault the loyola offense has been awful while he's been their goalie
I trust coaches to evaluate McCool’s practice tape and body of work at SU against the film of Staudt at Loyola. Don’t think it’s fair for McCool’s only chance for an eval to be a game that saw our mid-season first teamer go 11% and get pulled.

If they don’t go for Staudt my assumption is that McCool is expected to be the real deal, and I will happily write off the Duke game.

I don't believe SU was going to be in the market for a goalie but Staudt jumping in may change the calculus a bit. I think it's much more likely SU adds and O piece or a backup FOGO if Kohn forgoes a final year then a goalie but I can't rule it out completely.
Wait, Kohn has another year?

Wait, Kohn has another year?

I believe he technically does if he wants one. He and Boyden at UVA appear to potentially have another year but it's a bit of a gray area.

I believe he technically does if he wants one. He and Boyden at UVA appear to potentially have another year but it's a bit of a gray area.
I mean that would be gigantic if he’s willing to return next year. Hopefully that’s the case, seems like a bright kid. Wouldn’t be surprised if he has a nice job lined up and wants to get a career underway

D3 lacrosse got 2020 and 2021 back. Kohn is unique though because he did not play lacrosse in either of those years, he was playing hockey. So not sure how the hockey eligibility years factor in.

Normally rule is 4 years of one sport + 1 in another, but the Covid years and D3 actually getting an extra Covid year in lacrosse complicates everything.

I trust coaches to evaluate McCool’s practice tape and body of work at SU against the film of Staudt at Loyola. Don’t think it’s fair for McCool’s only chance for an eval to be a game that saw our mid-season first teamer go 11% and get pulled.

If they don’t go for Staudt my assumption is that McCool is expected to be the real deal, and I will happily write off the Duke game.
im not necessarily advocating for staudt over mccool, just pushing back against the notion that his career numbers at loyola are not as impressive as mark's were at LIU. the level of comp he has faced is much tougher and he's fared quite well in those games for the most part...had a couple rough games against duke but has really played very well against army, hopkins, and maryland the last two seaosns..

im not necessarily advocating for staudt over mccool, just pushing back against the notion that his career numbers at loyola are not as impressive as mark's were at LIU. the level of comp he has faced is much tougher and he's fared quite well in those games for the most part...had a couple rough games against duke but has really played very well against army, hopkins, and maryland the last two seaosns..
You’re correct, I had not done a deep dive on his numbers. He has been solid against good comp. Will be an interesting decision for the coaching staff.

I don’t think can base that game on if mccool be good or not. Can’t expect goalie who seen no more then 10mins maby thru whole year thrown in cold no warm up in game that was already out of control . If look at the saves he did have they weren’t all routine saves. He made some good stops on some easy should been goal shots.

He played 3 quarters of a game they were still trying to win. Nevertheless it’s a little deeper than that, the game at this point is a blur so I don’t remember much but at the time I didn’t think he was particularly quick to get down and I’m not in love with some of his unorthodox technique/style like his stance or hand placement on his stick. I think that lends to being slow to get on certain shots. He made some nice stops in the game but didn’t do anything particularly impressive.

He appears to be a good goalie but I don’t think he’s a next level goalie and have no idea at this point if he’s a championship goalie. My opinion is that Id bring in a proven keep. If he’s that good it shouldn’t matter.

McCool may bounce if they bring in another goalie transfer. Risking a long term player for a 1 year player isn’t smart in my opinion.

I would normally agree, but next year’s team will have incredibly high expectations. There will be no more, “they’re young” excuses. Obviously there will be holes, but it feels like the last three to four years have been building towards next year, when the super sophs will be upperclassmen.

McCool is of course a part of that group, but man, it feels like a ton of pressure to put on a player who hasn’t seen much playing time in two years. With Staudt you’d get a proven player who has tons of experience and has put up some really good performances over the last two years (16 saves vs Maryland, 17 vs Hopkins, 18 vs both BU and Towson). On top of that he’s a local kid and it just seems to make too much sense.

Hopefully the coaches would be able to thread the needle with McCool, make it clear that it’s an open competition. Obviously that is easier said than done when players have a limited time in college. But I don’t know, the stakes just seem too high.

I'm interested in the point of view that says that next year's expectations are higher. For my part, I can't help thinking that it might be this year or bust. That's because, in future years, I doubt Syracuse is likely to have such high-impact transfers to round out a team with holes. I'm referring, of course, to Mark in goal, Kohn at the dot, Stevens, English, and Wright in the middle of the field. This year's sophomores are a quality group but I'm not confident they are enough to take the Orange to a higher level without the maturity and leadership this year's team got from the transfers.

I'm interested in the point of view that says that next year's expectations are higher. For my part, I can't help thinking that it might be this year or bust. That's because, in future years, I doubt Syracuse is likely to have such high-impact transfers to round out a team with holes. I'm referring, of course, to Mark in goal, Kohn at the dot, Stevens, English, and Wright in the middle of the field. This year's sophomores are a quality group but I'm not confident they are enough to take the Orange to a higher level without the maturity and leadership this year's team got from the transfers.
Disagree pretty strongly here, although I am concerned about a couple positions next season. I think our foundation beyond the transfers/seniors is strong, we will still land a couple quality guys in the portal (1 already confirmed), and even with the more costly losses, we are losing an average amount at most compared to our peers.

Offense essentially loses the three transfers and nobody else, barring an early exit from Hiltz, which i believe is only a slight chance. Mule I like but believe we have a lot of potential replacements next season, with Deere probably the most likely. Stevens and English it could be hard to replace some of their two way contributions (especially Stevens on the wing) but as strictly offensive players I think it is not an impossible task to replace what they do. English as a dodger/party starter will be missed, as will Stevens dodging, but Rhoa and Leo have a lot of that same dodging skill, we have seen quality improvements from Thomson, Birtwistle still in the mix, and we have freshman Peyton Anderson coming in who is as likely as any freshman to be a slide drawing party starter out of the gate, whether that is at attack or middie. Spallina is still that dude and has two years remaining.

Middle of the field gets a little trickier. Toughest position next year could be LSM, since we for sure lose both senior Olexo and transfer Wright. Confirmed transfer Will Grace from RIT could help us there. Kohn has been excellent, but crucially, so has freshman Johnny Mullen. His percentages have been good against tough competition, and I have faith in him as the main man at the X next season. Still very early in his career and he is a monster athlete. If he was out of the picture I would be in more of a this year or bust mode, but we have three more years of him.

On defense we are in a good place next season, IF we can find a suitable Will Mark replacement. Ssdms return just about everyone, Carter Rice most importantly, and Figgy and Dwan are back as the key close guys. That plus another year under Odierna and I feel very good about the D. Mark is a tough replacement job, but between our backups and the rumored portal add I am hoping we can keep the damage minimal.

Getting long winded here, but while our offseason is not problem free, look at what our main foes have to deal with. Duke - entire attack line gone, including generational talent ONeill, as well as Kenny Brower on D and Naso at the X. ND - Pat Kav Entennman Dobson McClane and (maybe?) Taylor gone, along with most of their main ssdms. UVA crucial attack Shellenberger and Cormier gone, and there are others from those teams. Hop in the big 10 loses a serious boatload. Goalie, 2 main close D guys, at least 2 attack, 3 or 4 middies who see major minutes, and nearly their entire ssdm stable. We have some holes to fill, but our problems are not different at all to what our main rivals face and more often than not they look easier to solve. Our rivals will also be dealing with less portal options next season same as us. And there are PLENTY of leaders in that locker room who are not transfers.

Disagree pretty strongly here, although I am concerned about a couple positions next season. I think our foundation beyond the transfers/seniors is strong, we will still land a couple quality guys in the portal (1 already confirmed), and even with the more costly losses, we are losing an average amount at most compared to our peers.

Offense essentially loses the three transfers and nobody else, barring an early exit from Hiltz, which i believe is only a slight chance. Mule I like but believe we have a lot of potential replacements next season, with Deere probably the most likely. Stevens and English it could be hard to replace some of their two way contributions (especially Stevens on the wing) but as strictly offensive players I think it is not an impossible task to replace what they do. English as a dodger/party starter will be missed, as will Stevens dodging, but Rhoa and Leo have a lot of that same dodging skill, we have seen quality improvements from Thomson, Birtwistle still in the mix, and we have freshman Peyton Anderson coming in who is as likely as any freshman to be a slide drawing party starter out of the gate, whether that is at attack or middie. Spallina is still that dude and has two years remaining.

Middle of the field gets a little trickier. Toughest position next year could be LSM, since we for sure lose both senior Olexo and transfer Wright. Confirmed transfer Will Grace from RIT could help us there. Kohn has been excellent, but crucially, so has freshman Johnny Mullen. His percentages have been good against tough competition, and I have faith in him as the main man at the X next season. Still very early in his career and he is a monster athlete. If he was out of the picture I would be in more of a this year or bust mode, but we have three more years of him.

On defense we are in a good place next season, IF we can find a suitable Will Mark replacement. Ssdms return just about everyone, Carter Rice most importantly, and Figgy and Dwan are back as the key close guys. That plus another year under Odierna and I feel very good about the D. Mark is a tough replacement job, but between our backups and the rumored portal add I am hoping we can keep the damage minimal.

Getting long winded here, but while our offseason is not problem free, look at what our main foes have to deal with. Duke - entire attack line gone, including generational talent ONeill, as well as Kenny Brower on D and Naso at the X. ND - Pat Kav Entennman Dobson McClane and (maybe?) Taylor gone, along with most of their main ssdms. UVA crucial attack Shellenberger and Cormier gone, and there are others from those teams. Hop in the big 10 loses a serious boatload. Goalie, 2 main close D guys, at least 2 attack, 3 or 4 middies who see major minutes, and nearly their entire ssdm stable. We have some holes to fill, but our problems are not different at all to what our main rivals face and more often than not they look easier to solve. Our rivals will also be dealing with less portal options next season same as us. And there are PLENTY of leaders in that locker room who are not transfers.

Good stuff. English I believe is expected back next year, so only two spots on offense should be open - which should make you even more optimistic!

A lot of the raised expectations comes from the fact that a lot of peer teams are losing A TON next year. Syracuse has holes (I'm still not satisfied with our SSDM play), but they aren't replacing their team's best player of all time, which I think you could make the argument for in terms of Kavanaugh, Shellenberger and O'Neil.

We shall see. Transfer portal could certainly change things drastically. But as of now it really feels like things next year will be completely wide open. Syracuse should be in a good spot with all they return.

Good stuff. English I believe is expected back next year, so only two spots on offense should be open - which should make you even more optimistic!

A lot of the raised expectations comes from the fact that a lot of peer teams are losing A TON next year. Syracuse has holes (I'm still not satisfied with our SSDM play), but they aren't replacing their team's best player of all time, which I think you could make the argument for in terms of Kavanaugh, Shellenberger and O'Neil.

We shall see. Transfer portal could certainly change things drastically. But as of now it really feels like things next year will be completely wide open. Syracuse should be in a good spot with all they return.
English back would be huge! Offense should be in excellent shape. Feel similarly about ssdm, although I am happy enough with the starters in Rice and Levine.

Long term our biggest concern is having to close the recruiting gap with the rest of the ACC. They lose all these guys, but right now they are more likely to find multiple instant answers in their younger classes than we are for the next two seasons. Petro leaving will never sting more than it did last season for recruiting, with his sudden exit. I am hoping that with the staff fully established, and the team coming off a very strong year instead of a second year in a row missing the playoffs, we make a real splash next recruiting class. If we keep getting outmatched there then things could start to look ugly after the next two seasons.

Right now we have a serious shot this season, a serious shot next season, and the season after that a pretty darn good shot as well. Near future is bright, work to be done to compete in the long term, but some statements the next couple seasons could solve a lot of our problems.

Thanks for a thoughtful response. Believe me, I desperately hope you are right.

Great stuff here. - Taylor will be back for ND next year. Heard him announce it on a podcast a few weeks ago.

English definitely has another year, unclear if he will use it but the initial rumblings were that he was leaning toward using it.

UNC brings back a lot (though even they do lose McGovern and a few others Breschi, Kreig Geppert) but they and Cuse are the two who really bring back a lot.

Virginia loses less numbers then last years but the quality is a massive hit. Shellenberger, Cormier and Kastner are all gone plus the SSDM transfer Yager, back up fogo Desouza etc. Again no massive numbers but essentially their top overall 3 players are gone including their clear 1 and 2 Offensive options and their best defender.

I've done a breakdown of Duke and ND before but they both lose a metric ton to graduation. Duke loses their entire starting attack line, Naso, Brower, Danenza, Both LSM's in carpenter and Frisoli, Caputo and O'Connor short stick defenders, Krauss another pole, every back up goalie on the roster I think and and another 8 to 10 guys who barely played. Duke loses 4 of their top 5 scorers, the top FOGO, their best defender, both LSM's and two of their SSDM rotation. Cupboard is far from bare their obviously but that's a boatload.

ND is in a similar spot. First off to the relief of everyone Pat Kavanaugh and Taylor are both gone. Taylor I think technically has another year if he petitions for it but I think the expectation is that he is gone. Entenmann, Gray, Conlin, McLane, Burlace, Dobson, Burgmaster, Parlette, Harris, amongst others. Assumign Taylor is gone, ND loses 4 of their top 6 scorers, their goalie, multiple SSDMs including at least one starter and I believe 2 of their 3 starting poles. Again cupboard from from bare but like Duke, thats a ton to just simply replace without skipping a beat.

Virginia loses less numbers then last years but the quality is a massive hit. Shellenberger, Cormier and Kastner are all gone plus the SSDM transfer Yager, back up fogo Desouza etc. Again no massive numbers but essentially their top overall 3 players are gone including their clear 1 and 2 Offensive options and their best defender.
Virginia is the team with the big recruiting class.
I was watching St.John's-Gonzaga the other day and Ryan Duenkel was still not playing. I don't know what his injury is, but it does make one wonder about him contributing in a major way next year. But UVa still has attackmen Kyle Colsey and Sean Browne, along with defenseman Luke Hublitz in the 2nd wave of NB All-Americans with a few other guys probably showing up on the next two waves.
UVa also has players like Truitt Sunderland, waiting their turn. Sunderland skills didn't seem to work well at midfield, but they might work well at his real position x-attackman.
UVa was starting a lot of new guys on the defense this year, and while they lose the top guy Kastner, they might gain more from the other guys being more experienced.

Last edited:
Here are the guys out of eligibility:

Christian Mule
Michael Page
Jake Stevens
Nick Fraterrigo
Steven Schmitt
Saam Olexo
Matt Wright
Jake Titus
Will Mark
Zack Puckhaber

Not that he is a transfer just interested where you guys think trey deere will fit in next year going forward? Seems like if we lose an attack man to graduation we instantly go transfer portal. He's a good talent would just hate to see him walk which was more likely something that would happen under deskos watch ie wisnauskas

Yale players starting to announce per fanlax.

Cory Capri - Delaware
Jack Monfort - Hopkins

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom