Class of 2022 - 247 summary | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 247 summary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill Belichick was a terrible coach when he was with the Browns. Somehow he learned from that experience and is now in the conversation for best coach ever... One major difference is the team building in New England was superior, but Bill had stated outright that failing taught him a lot.

One thing about Hopkins is that we know he can recruit. He is an absolutely magnetic personality that pulls in impressive talent. Unlike in the NFL, being able to pull in talent is a huge part of the job. The hope is that, in addition to being a top recruiter, Hopkins will also learn from failing and become a great in game coach.

If so, I hope he does it here.

If not, thank God we dodged the bum. :)

My fear is that we promote a guy in house that has never been a head coach and we kill the program for a generation. Remember when firing Pasqualoni was a good idea? Football still hasn't recovered. Hiring the wrong guy to replace JB might do the same to basketball. I don't envy the persons making the decision.
Seattle was cool when Frasier was on TV and friggin Soundgarden was on the radio.

Their time has passed. Every crappy little city has cool coffee shops now!

Come home, Mike! Ain’t nothing going on out there.

I’m going to believe the classes with Carmelo and Gerry, and DC and Stevie are better, plus the one with Flynn, Greene, Scoop, and Rick as well as Waiters, Fair, and Fab.

Gotta have a “generational talent” to be the best.
I like our class but I'd take one Melo or dc over the 5 guys we got every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Those are 2 TURRIBLE assumptions.

Why would JB retire?

Because he’s not coaching his kids anymore?
What the hell else is he gonna do with his time?

His 9 game suspension gave him a little taste of his post-basketball life.
He HATED it.

Also - GMac - LOL.
He is literally the least qualified of our 3 Assistant coaches.

But I get it - spunky white guards make great coaches, right? :rolleyes:
Spunky “white” guard, so not funny! Please tell me the qualifications required to be a high level D1 coach? GMac has lived and breathed basketball forever and from everything I hear, he can recruit! He is who Jim Boeheim wants to be his successor……..he WILL be the next coach.

Spunky “white” guard, so not funny! Please tell me the qualifications required to be a high level D1 coach? GMac has lived and breathed basketball forever and from everything I hear, he can recruit! He is who Jim Boeheim wants to be his successor……..he WILL be the next coach.
Has Autry not lived and breathed basketball forever, and can recruit? Guy played for SU from 90-94. Played overseas from 95-05, and has coached from 06-present. Is that not “gym ratish”?

*I like both guys.

I give the staff major props for this class. The pivoted so well off of the Dior/Lands decommits. To lose both those guys, not end up with Westry/Cruz/Clingan and STILL manage a top 10 class with 5 kids who will all most likely be here for multiple years (compared to Dior, Cruz, Lands, etc who are probably 1 and done) is very impressive.

Not to be hyperbolic here, but this class has the chance to be the most important class in decades. It is my assumption that JB is gone after this season and GMac takes over. These 5 kids get the first shot at carrying on the SU tradition post-JB. This is big time in seeing where we will be as a program in 5 years. If this class ends up being a hit and GMac continues to recruit, we might not miss a beat.
I’ll lay odds that short of leaving for another P5 opportunity, Red Autry will be the next HC at the Cuse…not GMac.

Last edited:
I feel like people are missing the plot here...Red has been around longer and is by all accounts the #2 right now. Wouldnt it be a awful thing for JB to do if he just skips over Red to hand it to Gmac? That doesn't jive with how JB does things and his loyalty to his guys. Just spit ballin here but if they do stay in house, it makes sense that Red is the next guy.

I predict Jb>Red>Jimmy assuming Red can hold it down. Gmac works himself into a good HC job elsewhere.

Would absolutely love to see Hop back but I think that would mean losing Red and that would hurt bad.

Why do people repeat this cliche? He can’t coach? Of course he can. Coaching is not a binary, pass/fail thing. All coaches land on a spectrum and have different strengths and weaknesses. Hop won PAC-12 coach of the year. He CAN coach. Things have gone sideways the past two seasons but I think he’ll turn it around. We just need him to get back to winning at Washington and landing in the top half of that conference and then Syracuse can consider taking him again. JB isn’t close to retirement yet, so Hop has some time to get it going again at UW.

Cliche? Good grief.

High major college basketball is a results driven industry. Frankly, I'm amazed that people can't be objective about how he's performed. He won back to back PAC-12 coach of the year awards, and then finished in last place in the PAC-12 -- with two NBA draft pick recruits on the roster. Not just struggled or the team didn't live up to expectations -- last place.

And then followed up by going 5-21 last year, finishing in second to last place in the conference with a 4-16 record. Let that sink it, and then try to tell me again how expressing concerns about his coaching ability is some kind of cliche narrative.

Nobody questions that the guy can recruit, but the questions about his coaching acumen are legit, given the two year dropoff from the only part of his tenure you're choosing to focus on. It's embarrassing, frankly -- if this were any coach with the same track record sans the SU ties, nobody would suggest that they'd be a viable candidate. Justifiably so.

Last edited:
I've lived in both cities. Enough said. I like Syracuse. I ski. Seattle is special in many ways, especially if you are making millions. It has it all.

I wasn't comparing Syracuse to Seattle as a total package, I'm just pointing out that the conversation you think would be so lopsided with his wife might not be, in actuality, since she's from CNY.

I wasn't comparing Syracuse to Seattle as a total package, I'm just pointing out that the conversation you think would be so lopsided with his wife might not be, in actuality, since she's from CNY.
The only thing Syracuse and Seattle have in common is an S and lots of clouds

Red is the next HC. Gmac is the next Assoc. HC. If Hop gets canned he is out of the running. If he turns it around he stays in Seattle. Who wouldn't? Picture this conversation: Honey, pack your bags, we're leaving Seattle for Syracuse.
She would be happy to come home.

Cliche? Good grief.

High major college basketball is a results driven industry. Frankly, I'm amazed that people can't be objective about how he's performed. He won back to back PAC-12 coach of the year awards, and then finished in last place in the PAC-12 -- with two NBA draft pick recruits on the roster. Not just struggled or the team didn't live up to expectations -- last place.

And then followed up by going 5-21 last year, finishing in second to last place in the conference with a 4-16 record. Let that sink it, and then try to tell me again how expressing concerns about his coaching ability is some kind of cliche narrative.

Nobody questions that the guy can recruit, but the questions about his coaching acumen are legit, given the two year dropoff from the only part of his tenure you're choosing to focus on. It's embarrassing, frankly -- if this were any coach with the same track record sans the SU ties, nobody would suggest that they'd be a viable candidate. Justifiably so.

Also once you have watched his version of UW play, what stands out is that it's frenetic and many times is like watching a disorganized mess. Love hop but outside having Stewart in the middle for one year, there is just way too much of a lack of discipline on either side of the ball which makes it such a mess it's hard to watch now.

Who cares. You come to Syracuse for the basketball program. Do coaches go to Tuscaloosa for the French cuisine? Need to be able to differentiate between city living and the job a coach goes for... It's not that complex.
They go for Hardee’s and Chuck E. Cheese.

I’ll tell you this… JB has not told anyone when he will be leaving… Red and GMac have no clue
I actually think he goes until he passes K

I've lived in both cities. Enough said. I like Syracuse. I ski. Seattle is special in many ways, especially if you are making millions. It has it all.
Me too. I grew up there. It's beautiful, but Seattle has it all? Like what? I guess you like yourself some rain.

I actually think he goes until he passes K
I would absolutely love that, largely because I'd like to stick it to anything dook. Their fan base is so arrogant that they wouldn't even acknowledge Boeheim having more wins because Coach K is god to them and does no wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom