25-0 | Syracusefan.com

25-0

As much as everyone complains about this years offense, it averages almost 2 ppg more than that team. That team had 4 players who have played in the nba plus CJ who’s been a stalwart in the G league and gotten a few sniffs with the nba.

Our longest streak since: 7 in a row, (the next year).

That's a figure I've never seen before that highlights how badly the program is struggling by historic standards. A quick scan shows that we only had one season this century -- 2008 -- without a winning streak of 7 or more games before 2015. Winning 10 or 12 in a row in the non-conference was expected. Now it's rare to even string together 4 or 5.

After watching that, I can't believe how far our offense has fallen off since then. Man we need more talent soon to get back to that level of offensive firepower!

As much as everyone complains about this years offense, it averages almost 2 ppg more than that team. That team had 4 players who have played in the nba plus CJ who’s been a stalwart in the G league and gotten a few sniffs with the nba.
That is an indictment on the offensive philosophy.
Our 2013 team had MCW/Southerland/Fair/Triche and still we had a clogged toilet isolation halfcourt offense.
2014 had Ennis/Grant/Fair and still a clogged toilet isolation halfcourt offense.

A good halfcourt offense has a player you can throw the ball to the post and get you multiple buckets from there and have shooting that can make shots off good ball movement.

Our problem is the ball doesn’t move and we rely on 1 on 1 getting us buckets.

As I already posted, this years team averages 2ppg more than that team did. Ripleys.
Yeah but with the 25-0 team during their games, I never felt that they couldn't score from any position. With this team, I cringe when Battle is off his game and nobody else is doing anything offensively. We just had better talent all around on that '13-'14 squad. Regardless, the current team just needs to play their best ball now. Let's Go Orange!!

Came across this on you-Tube:

Our longest streak since: 7 in a row, (the next year).

pretty cool. ive told this story before but i have to tell it every so often...

my son was born on 12/27 around 1 pm so he got to see the texas bowl win and then Cuse rattle off 14-15 bball wins in a row (im too lazy to look it up) so he was like 16-0 as a human cuse fan which is as good as it gets in history of cuse for being born on 12/27. again not looking it up but the only babies that were better were born ~11/15 (a football loss somewhere in there)-12/27 am.

that pitt game was something else.

son fell asleep on my wife downstairs and after that kid made the FT's i thought to myself 'great run, damn proud of these guys'

my wife had yelled at me a few times the last few minutes to keep it down. at some point she went into the kitchen with the baby still sleeping and thats when ennis hit the shot. i let out a held in yelp (think a held in sneeze... my wife heard it from the other room but i also knew i needed to be quiet type thing). i am in nothing but shorts and a tshirt and it was 1 of the atlanta blizzards (this 1 may have been the soft nosed tweet) as i let out that yelp i ran outside, just past the entry to the kitchen where she was inquisitively looking at me wondering what just happened barefoot screaming up and down my atlanta neighborhood.

i finally end in the middle of the street and do snow angels and my dog runs up to me (i left door open) and we celebrate together in the snow.

anywys... i woke my son up. oh well, dont fall asleep in the middle of a cuse game kid.

my son was born on 12/27 around 1 pm so he got to see the texas bowl win and then Cuse rattle off 14-15 bball wins in a row (im too lazy to look it up) so he was like 16-0 as a human cuse fan which is as good as it gets in history of cuse for being born on 12/27. again not looking it up but the only babies that were better were born ~11/15 (a football loss somewhere in there)-12/27 am.

son fell asleep on my wife downstairs and after that kid made the FT's i thought to myself 'great run, damn proud of these guys'

my wife had yelled at me a few times the last few minutes to keep it down. at some point she went into the kitchen with the baby still sleeping and thats when ennis hit the shot. i let out a held in yelp (think a held in sneeze... my wife heard it from the other room but i also knew i needed to be quiet type thing). i am in nothing but shorts and a tshirt and it was 1 of the atlanta blizzards (this 1 may have been the soft nosed tweet) as i let out that yelp i ran outside, just past the entry to the kitchen where she was inquisitively looking at me wondering what just happened barefoot screaming up and down my atlanta neighborhood.

i finally end in the middle of the street and do snow angels and my dog runs up to me (i left door open) and we celebrate together in the snow.

anywys... i woke my son up. oh well, dont fall asleep in the middle of a cuse game kid.
That is a damn fine story!

Yeah that’s gotta be a Mount Syracusefan.com worthy post.

Well done

I see a lot of guys with good handles who could all finish around the rim. And guys like Jerami Grant looked to dunk everything around the rim. Imagine if Brissett tried to just dunk everything. He might score 8-10 more points per game.

christmas > chukwu
grant > brissett
ennis > howard
fair > hughes
battle > cooney

bench
marek > than the 2013/14 bench but
keita >sidbide
coleman >sidbide
gbinje

I see a lot of guys with good handles who could all finish around the rim. And guys like Jerami Grant looked to dunk everything around the rim. Imagine if Brissett tried to just dunk everything. He might score 8-10 more points per game.

christmas > chukwu
grant > brissett
ennis > howard
fair > hughes
battle > cooney

bench
keita >sidbide
coleman >sidbide
gbinje
Coleman only played in about 19 games that year before shutting it down because of bad knees

christmas > chukwu
grant > brissett
ennis > howard
fair > hughes
battle > cooney

bench
keita >sidbide
coleman >sidbide
gbinje

oshae has been astronomically better at 2's than last year. he isnt going to the line as much though.

also we have buddy boeheim. i think its a little revisionist history to just put grant over brissett too. brissett could change all that mindset in about 3-4 games in the next 10 days.

How about the fact that the score at the beginning shows we had a 15 point lead over Carolina. Have we even held a 3 point lead at any time over Carolina since?

How about the fact that the score at the beginning shows we had a 15 point lead over Carolina. Have we even held a 3 point lead at any time over Carolina since?

you got short term memory loss?

we were up the entire 1st half 3 weeks ago. not sure if we ever go it to double figures but it was at 8 or 9 very late in the half.

oshae has been astronomically better at 2's than last year. he isnt going to the line as much though.

also we have buddy boeheim. i think its a little revisionist history to just put grant over brissett too. brissett could change all that mindset in about 3-4 games in the next 10 days.

I did forget Buddy. I'd take him and Marek over the 2013.14 bench.

2013/14
Grant averaged 12.1 ppg and 6.8 rbpg, shot 50% from 2pt with 37 turnovers. Had 386 points. Was just an overall better finisher.

Brissett averages 12.4 ppg and 7.5 rbpg, shoot 44% from 2pt and 26% from three. 63 turnovers and 409 points.

Scores 23 more points (on 76 more shots), grabs about 30 more rebounds but gives up 26 more possessions in turnovers.

Metrics aside I'm taking Grant based on my eye test. I don't want Brissett to even touch the ball right now unless it's a rebound. Here's the rub with the metrics; they swing way towards Grant over 40 minutes and over 100 possessions and this sort of backs up the eye test watching them play.

Grant > Brissett

Jerami Grant College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Oshae Brissett College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Last edited:
I did forget Buddy. I'd take him and Marek over the 2013.14 bench.

2013/14
Grant averaged 12.1 ppg and 6.8 rbpg, shot 50% from 2pt with 37 turnovers. Had 386 points. Was just an overall better finisher.

Brissett averages 12.4 ppg and 7.5 rbpg, shoot 44% from 2pt and 26% from three. 63 turnovers and 409 points.

Scores 23 more points (on 76 more shots), grabs about 30 more rebounds but gives up 26 more possessions in turnovers.

Metrics aside I'm taking Grant based on my eye test. I don't want Brissett to even touch the ball right now unless it's a rebound. Here's the rub with the metrics; they swing way towards Grant over 40 minutes and over 100 possessions and this sort of backs up the eye test watching them play.

Grant > Brissett

Jerami Grant College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Oshae Brissett College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Jerami Grant in 2013-14 (minutes per game and everything else per 40 minutes)
31.4m 15.4p 8.6t 1.8a 1.0s 0.7b = 27.5+ 5.4mfg 2.3mft 1.5to 3.0pf = 12.2- = 15.3NP 7.7OE 7.6FG

Oshae Brissett in 2018-19
32.8m 15.1p 9.1r 2.2a 1.2s 1.0b = 28.6+ 8.2mfg 1.9mft 2.4to 2.6pf = 15.1- = 13.5NP 5.0OE 8.5FG

Statistically they are pretty much the same player except that Oshae misses more shots. Jerami was not the #1-2 scoring options, the way Oshae is. CJ Fair, Tyler Ennis and Trevor Cooney all scored more points than Jerami, so he may have benefited from less defensive attention. Still, I'd be surprised if Oshae carves out as good an NBA career as Jerami is having but Oshae is just a sophomore, (as was Jerami in 2013-14) so we'll see how things play out.

Jerami Grant in 2013-14 (minutes per game and everything else per 40 minutes)
31.4m 15.4p 8.6t 1.8a 1.0s 0.7b = 27.5+ 5.4mfg 2.3mft 1.5to 3.0pf = 12.2- = 15.3NP 7.7OE 7.6FG

Oshae Brissett in 2018-19
32.8m 15.1p 9.1r 2.2a 1.2s 1.0b = 28.6+ 8.2mfg 1.9mft 2.4to 2.6pf = 15.1- = 13.5NP 5.0OE 8.5FG

Statistically they are pretty much the same player except that Oshae misses more shots. Jerami was not the #1-2 scoring options, the way Oshae is. CJ Fair, Tyler Ennis and Trevor Cooney all scored more points than Jerami, so he may have benefited from less defensive attention. Still, I'd be surprised if Oshae carves out as good an NBA career as Jerami is having but Oshae is just a sophomore, (as was Jerami in 2013-14) so we'll see how things play out.

Where did your stats come from because that's not what I see over 40 at the links I put up.

Jerami Grant

1553093521813.png

Oshae Brissett

1553093596368.png

As good as our record was, I never felt great about that team. Even though we were winning, I just didn't think we looked as good as our record and thought things would eventually average out. Having said that, I'd kill for that right now.

you got short term memory loss?

we were up the entire 1st half 3 weeks ago. not sure if we ever go it to double figures but it was at 8 or 9 very late in the half.
You are correct. I remembered having a slim lead in that game but forgot that it was sizable at any point. Guess i'm just tired of losing to them every year.

As good as our record was, I never felt great about that team. Even though we were winning, I just didn't think we looked as good as our record and thought things would eventually average out. Having said that, I'd kill for that right now.

Better than the board gives it credit for. Finished 18th in KenPom rating. Just didn’t have enough shooting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom