#44 poster boy | Syracusefan.com

#44 poster boy

RoatanCuse

Starter
Your opinion, if you please. If there were no Ernie Davis, Floyd Little, Rob Konrad (I saw them all play), would you want fabled Jim Brown as the standard-bearer for #44 and as emissary for our beloved university? Discuss.

If there were no Ernie Davis, then 44 would be purely about on field greatness via Jim Brown. It changes the meaning of the number, to me at least.

So if on field performance is the only metric, well then yes.

Scott Williams said:
Your opinion, if you please. If there were no Ernie Davis, Floyd Little, Rob Konrad (I saw them all play), would you want fabled Jim Brown as the standard-bearer for #44 and as emissary for our beloved university? Discuss.
Are you basically asking if we like Jim Brown as a person?

If there were no Ernie Davis, who got to wear #44 after Jim Brown?

A kicker or linebacker?

A walk-on?

Scott Williams said:

I don't think 44 would be a thing and I think the Universities relationship to Brown would be about the same. Greatness on the field, not great at all off.

Though I cannot agree with his personal issues, I am very glad that Jim Brown didn't cover up child molestation for wins. Perspective counts, Jim Brown has made mistakes and suffered for them, paid the price, PSU and its personnel, not even close.

As to the OP question, if Jim Brown had been the only great running back to wear 44, 44 would not be a topic. Great running backs in Orange would be the topic (and a bit broader because we have had some greats that didn't wear 44).

I am disappointed in his recent comments about No. 44.

He must know that the intent after he graduated was to honor him by keeping the number alive.

There was an affirmative determination not to retire the number.

So, his somewhat negative reaction to the reinstatement of the number is puzzling to me.

Jim Brown is a fascinating human being with substantial positives and unfortunate negatives.

All in all, I am okay with him representing the University because I think his positives outweigh his negatives and because I think he is a bright and thoughtful man.

he is the 1st 44. and up until last week the 1st person anyone ever thought of with 44.

just because you (or i) disagree with what he may have said (it was very confusing) doesnt mean we should have posts like this.

you cant have jim brown when you want him but dismiss him when he doesnt fit your model. And no matter what, I wouldnt want any of the standard-bearers for 44 to ever be associated with that type of take him or leave him attitude.

I love/respect Jim Brown for all that he is. I don't agree with everything he may say, but respect him for having his own opinions. Feel the same way for McNabb. Though I think #5 never should have opened his mouth after the announcement, because it had absolutely zero to do with him personally.

I never understood this whole debate. Passing on the No 44 to an incoming freshman is the tradition. I always thought is was a great tradition. That is how we honor the number. Hanging a jersey in the rafters is how we honor the player IMO. I never have understood who the 44 jersey hanging in the rafters was for anyway. Brown? Brown and Davis? Brown, Davis and Little? If we are honoring those players, why aren't there three 44's up in the rafters?

I never understood this whole debate. Passing on the No 44 to an incoming freshman is the tradition. I always thought is was a great tradition. That is how we honor the number. Hanging a jersey in the rafters is how we honor the player IMO. I never have understood who the 44 jersey hanging in the rafters was for anyway. Brown? Brown and Davis? Brown, Davis and Little? If we are honoring those players, why aren't there three 44's up in the rafters?
That is what should have happened a long time ago, when the basketball team starting putting up jersey's with past players names, Brown, Davis, and Little should have gone up to represent the football program.

That is what should have happened a long time ago, when the basketball team starting putting up jersey's with past players names, Brown, Davis, and Little should have gone up to represent the football program.

It would be really freaking cool to see 3 44's up there with names on the back.

and it would be amazing to see more 44's go up as more legends make their name

I am disappointed in his recent comments about No. 44.

He must know that the intent after he graduated was to honor him by keeping the number alive.

There was an affirmative determination not to retire the number.

So, his somewhat negative reaction to the reinstatement of the number is puzzling to me.

Jim Brown is a fascinating human being with substantial positives and unfortunate negatives.

All in all, I am okay with him representing the University because I think his positives outweigh his negatives and because I think he is a bright and thoughtful man.

Honestly, I didn't read that as a "negative reaction." Jim Brown basically indicated that it wasn't that big of a deal, but then suggested that he wasn't necessarily an advocate of the idea--not because he didn't want the number unretired, but rather because it would result in having his jersey come down. And as such, him getting that "penalty" wasn't something he preferred. But in the big scheme of things, he wasn't against it or negative about it in general.

That's what I read from his comments.

Easy fix is listed above--do the same thing as the hoops team and retire the jerseys. They should do that this year for Brown / Davis / Little, and the problem is solved.

Honestly, I didn't read that as a "negative reaction." Jim Brown basically indicated that it wasn't that big of a deal, but then suggested that he wasn't necessarily an advocate of the idea--not because he didn't want the number unretired, but rather because it would result in having his jersey come down. And as such, him getting that "penalty" wasn't something he preferred. But in the big scheme of things, he wasn't against it or negative about it in general.

Easy fix is listed above--do the same thing as the hoops team and retire the jerseys. They should do that this year for Brown / Davis / Little, and the problem is solved.
And regarding that easy fix, it's easy to handle this year as well since we won't have a 44 on the roster. So pick a game and dedicate it to raising Brown/Davis/Little jerseys to the rafters. That way, his jersey is hanging up there before 44 technically "comes down."

And regarding that easy fix, it's easy to handle this year as well since we won't have a 44 on the roster. So pick a game and dedicate it to raising Brown/Davis/Little jerseys to the rafters. That way, his jersey is hanging up there before 44 technically "comes down."
We need another petition drive to get the university to do the right thing, and the first ACC game against Wake Forest, would be a good game to retire the numbers of the 3 legends.

I guess I would have said something like "I think it's a great idea to keep the jersey and the tradition alive. Thank you."

Just sayin.

I guess I would have said something like "I think it's a great idea to keep the jersey and the tradition alive. Thank you."

Just sayin.

"Just sayin" what?

They asked him, he raised no objections. And then when interviewed about it weeks later, Jim Brown made a candid comment about how it wouldn't have necessarily been his idea to do that, for understandably selfish reasons, but that in the big scheme it wasn't that big of a deal to him.

That doesn't mean that he was dead set against it, that he has a strong negative visceral reaction, or anything else.

Just sayin.

"Just sayin" what?

They asked him, he raised no objections. And then when interviewed about it weeks later, Jim Brown made a candid comment about how it wouldn't have necessarily been his idea to do that, for understandably selfish reasons, but that in the big scheme it wasn't that big of a deal to him.

That doesn't mean that he was dead set against it, that he has a strong negative visceral reaction, or anything else.

Just sayin.

Are we really debating this?

I didn't say that he said he was "dead set against it."

The tone of the article was negative in my opinion.

If I had been him, knowing the history, I would have cheerfully endorsed the idea of returning the jersey to its traditional role.

Are we really debating this?

I didn't say that he said he was "dead set against it."

The tone of the article was negative in my opinion.

If I had been him, knowing the history, I would have cheerfully endorsed the idea of returning the jersey to its traditional role.

The intent of the article was negative, because the author has skin in the game to make this topic controversial, since he is overtly displeased with the outcome and willing to spin anything to paint it negatively.

The tone of the article was not negative, primarily because Brown's comments weren't negative. Therein lies the difference.

Cuse just got dissed by Jeff Van Gundy on the NBA Finals after they showed Jim Brown on TV. Why all the negativity?

Cuse just got dissed by Jeff Van Gundy on the NBA Finals after they showed Jim Brown on TV. Why all the negativity?
And was echoed by jackson

We need another petition drive to get the university to do the right thing, and the first ACC game against Wake Forest, would be a good game to retire the numbers of the 3 legends.
I like the idea but it should be the jerseys they wore, white with arm stripes, not one of the newer ones. This should be true for any player's number retired. Do it with the jersey they wore. Please NEVER let it be a platinum one! lol

I like the idea but it should be the jerseys they wore, white with arm stripes, not one of the newer ones. This should be true for any player's number retired. Do it with the jersey they wore. Please NEVER let it be a platinum one! lol

I agree. Another beef I have with the football jersey's is that they look like they are made out of garbage bag material on TV. I know they need to be light weight, but seriously, can't SU spend a little money on making them look better?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom