8/18/15 Practice # 10 At Fort Drum | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

8/18/15 Practice # 10 At Fort Drum

Now you're just trolling.
No, I sincerely thought she was being funny.

The whole "team staying together" thing is subjective. You buy into it and I do not, which is fair enough.

Practice time is precious. I value practicing effectively more than public relations. I don't think it is a huge deal either way, but if I was in charge, I wouldn't spend a week practicing at inferior facilities. It is just my opinion.

The Ismael thing has more to do with the facilities than anything else. Put your playmakers in a position to make plays. I'm fine with him doing everything that will allow him to help the team.

But between that and the lightning cutting everything short, these are the reasons you don't do something away from the million-dollar facilities that you have back on campus.

Just my two cents.
So you just used in a bruised knee injury as a reason to not attend to Ft. Drum, implying that injuries do not occur as long as SU is practicing at Ensley? Yeah... no.

donniesyracuse said:
No, I sincerely thought she was being funny. The whole "team staying together" thing is subjective. You buy into it and I do not, which is fair enough. Practice time is precious. I value practicing effectively more than public relations. I don't think it is a huge deal either way, but if I was in charge, I wouldn't spend a week practicing at inferior facilities. It is just my opinion.

Thing can be as effective as Dumbo's feather for all I care. The optics are good for the program, the players and coaches believe it makes a difference (so it does), and it's 4 practices not a week.

Riley Dixon belting a 70 yard punt and Ish trying to catch it happens here or there. The IPF or Syracuse practice fields don't change that.

Thing can be as effective as Dumbo's feather for all I care. The optics are good for the program, the players and coaches believe it makes a difference (so it does), and it's 4 practices not a week.

Riley Dixon belting a 70 yard punt and Ish trying to catch it happens here or there. The IPF or Syracuse practice fields don't change that.
Questioning the logic of abandoning one's brand new state of the art practice facility for four days is not unreasonable. It does not make me a troll, hater, or jerk (calling Legacy a boy does, and for that I am really sorry). You value the team building and public relations aspect of it more than I do, which is fair enough.

For the record, I don't blame the Ish' injury on the facilities. Injuries randomly happen everywhere.

Questioning the logic of abandoning one's brand new state of the art practice facility for four days is not unreasonable. It does not make me a troll, hater, or jerk (calling Legacy a boy does, and for that I am really sorry). You value the team building and public relations aspect of it more than I do, which is fair enough.

For the record, I don't blame the Ish' injury on the facilities. Injuries randomly happen everywhere.

You do realize that they haven't been practicing in the IPF the majority of the time.?

And don't worry about calling me a he... it took some on the recruiting forum a long, long time to catch on. ;)

Is the new facility so state of the art that it prevents injuries? That is sweet. This is absurd, injuries will happen anywhere. If they were practicing in Syracuse, I bet some other kid would have gotten dinged for another reason.

You do realize that they haven't been practicing in the IPF the majority of the time.?
I do realize that. My understanding was that if the team had been home, they would not have had to alter yesterday's practice plans so significantly. I apologize if I am wrong about that.

Also, thanks for understanding the gender mix-up. There is nothing quite so satisfying as earning a woman's forgiveness. I have a lot of practice with that.;)

Practicing in an indoor facility - as state of the art as it may be - for outdoor away games makes little sense. And this is not about PR.

I'm a fan of traveling for camp. You still get the same amount of practice time, I'm sure the coaches found a way to do that. But, going up to Ft. Drum together, that's priceless. In your down time, you're learning valuable life lessons and you're bunked up together away from the comforts of Syracuse.

Relationships are forged and strengthened in places like this. Not to mention, a large portion of your roster is most likely doing things that they will never again in their life have the opportunity to do.

Great team building exercise.

Not to mention, I'm sure the soldiers get a kick out of it as well. We've had to have gained a handful of fans out of this.

Practicing in an indoor facility - as state of the art as it may be - for outdoor away games makes little sense. And this is not about PR.
I never said they should always practice inside, but in the event of lightning, I would assume the indoor practice facility provides better practice opportunities than whatever Ft. Drum has. Am I wrong in assuming that? If so, then I apologize.

PR is definitely part of the Ft. Drum thing and there is nothing wrong with that.

I'm a fan of traveling for camp. You still get the same amount of practice time, I'm sure the coaches found a way to do that. But, going up to Ft. Drum together, that's priceless. In your down time, you're learning valuable life lessons and you're bunked up together away from the comforts of Syracuse.

Relationships are forged and strengthened in places like this. Not to mention, a large portion of your roster is most likely doing things that they will never again in their life have the opportunity to do.

Great team building exercise.

Not to mention, I'm sure the soldiers get a kick out of it as well. We've had to have gained a handful of fans out of this.

Besides all the other great things it does that you mentioned, the team has a bunch of great kids on it. I am sure that we have gained some fans as well. It breaks up camp a bit and gets the kids in an unfamiliar place. Just like a road game will. Positives all around.

I support Drum Week 100% and frankly don't see any downside. First and foremost, it's enjoyable for the soldiers. Working with the players is a nice break for them -- especially since many were recently deployed to Afghanistan to fight the Taliban. These guys are laying it on the line to keep us all safe so we can have the luxury of fan forums and arguments about college football.

Second, I think Drum is a bonding opportunity for the players. We have lots of new guys .. some of them still teenagers. The chance for them to get to know each other and learn about the discipline and sacrifice of the US military is worth its weight in gold. As far as being away from the SU facilities for a few days, the team has a long, challenging schedule ahead of it this year .. including a game 1,200 miles away at Florida State. I think they can put on their big boy pants and visit the troops an hour and a half up Route 81.

Ft. Drum Week.jpg

Last edited:
Yegorange said:

It may not be the stated goal - but it certainly fits the bill as "positive news for the University and football program"...

I worked at a summer camp for 8 years in my college days and getting away from life for a week with people you only kind of know is huge.

People who don't see the value have never had that experience. (And I know there are camp horror stories - I'm speaking of the positive variety).

meh, I think this issue has come up every year the team has been at Drum. These aren't pictures of players in their dorm room posing with hand guns. These are players who are going through weapons training with the Army.

It was basically a joke.

Seriously? Let's have some perspective. Huge difference between a team function on a military base, and some guys hanging out in the streets.

I was just kidding dude. That one pic is pretty funny with the one dude essentially aiming the gun at the other dude. Just looked funny but I don't actually care.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom