8 years ago today, SU-Wisconsin sweet 16 game | Syracusefan.com

8 years ago today, SU-Wisconsin sweet 16 game

Wish this one was up on YouTube. What a game! SU was clearly the better overall team and was playing well, but Wisconsin was shooting the lights out from 3 and just would not go away.

Syracuse shot 55% from the field and only had 6 turnovers.

Wisconsin shot 14-27 from 3, and also had 6 turnovers.

The only highlights I can find are Wisconsin heavy and feature some annoying and unnecessary music. They didn’t even include Dion’s high arcing jumper off a crossover! They did include his spin move though. No shots here of Derrick Coleman going nuts in the stands either, but I remember that well. The TV broadcast featured him a lot.

This was a fantastic game that gets overlooked a lot. If you remember the Sweet 16 round was our achilles heel for a while (Michigan State 2000, Alabama 2004, Oklahoma 2008, Butler 2010, etc). This game ended that and I actually remember JB saying as much in his post game interview.

Wish this one was up on YouTube. What a game! SU was clearly the better overall team and was playing well, but Wisconsin was shooting the lights out from 3 and just would not go away.

BOTH teams played their best games, and both seemed like they each landed haymaker after haymaker, but still could never get any separation.

It's amazing that Wisky shot so well, turned it over so little, and still LOST.
Just shows how incredibly well we played in order to win that.

Wisconsin is annoying - that game cemented my hatred of Bo Ryan. His histrionics each and every time Wisconsin was called for a foul were beyond annoying.

Things I remember about that game:

1. Dion's nasty spin move down the stretch;
2. Dion hit a few really high arching jumpers; and
3. The whole team - Scoop especially - gave off this "chill - I/we got this" vibe. At tight as the game was, I wasn't worried down the stretch.

Much more enjoyable than the Boston Screwjob 2 days later...

The only highlights I can find are Wisconsin heavy and feature some annoying and unnecessary music. They didn’t even include Dion’s high arcing jumper off a crossover! They did include his spin move though. No shots here of Derrick Coleman going nuts in the stands either, but I remember that well. The TV broadcast featured him a lot.

I will never forget that moon shot by Dion. I jumped up in my living room and started howling.

I went to this game with the love of my life. A former Syracuse Orangette. One of us was too scared to watch the last 15 seconds after Joseph missed the front end of the one and one. I wish I would have watched the last 15 seconds.

I was there and it was fantastic end of the game. I actually never saw the Ohio St game. Was at an event and someone told me they lost. We were so good at that point I assumed we’d be back

One of the most exciting games I've attended in person.

am I the only one that thought the zone played right into wiskys strength? That it should never have come down to the last possession? We never tried pressing them dud we?

am I the only one that thought the zone played right into wiskys strength? That it should never have come down to the last possession? We never tried pressing them dud we?

So - you're complaining about the D we played in a WINNING effort? :rolleyes:

One of the most exciting games I've attended in person.
Yes me too. A huge mix of emotions throughout. I was sitting next to Ohio St fans and they talked throughout. Great to tell them to eat it after that lol.

So - you're complaining about the D we played in a WINNING effort? :rolleyes:

LOL are you surprised.

The truth is that Wisconsin team was very good. They won 26 games and were in the top 15 all season. They are also the most consistent Big 10 program outside of MSU in the past 20 years.

I was there and it was fantastic end of the game. I actually never saw the Ohio St game. Was at an event and someone told me they lost. We were so good at that point I assumed we’d be back

Well, we went to the Final Four the following year so you'd have been right.

My wife was born and raised in WI. Went to undergrad there. HUGE fan. We had been dating about a year when this game was played. Our relationship *barely* made it through - she was bitter for weeks
(I've rarely been happier after an SU victory than that one)

:)

Interesting post. Hmm.

That’s as well as I’ve seen any team play against us. Ohio St didn’t bring it like that they just had crooked refs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom