A bad trend is starting... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

A bad trend is starting...

Seems punitive. Why would it be appropriate to penalize athletes for protecting their future earnings stream. That'd be like penalizing a student for not walking on graduation day.

I also said, "I am not necessarily saying which side I'm on bc i get both."

Students lose financial aid for not maintaining grades. That also seem punitive. But it happens.

Last edited:
Usually a buy out has occurred for this to happen.

If there's a buy out, the schools would be admitting that the athletes are employees. (And as someone who has litigated countless cases that turn on whether an employer/employee relationship exists, college athletes meet every legal definition of employee I've ever seen.)

If there's a buy out, the schools would be admitting that the athletes are employees. (And as someone who has litigated countless cases that turn on whether an employer/employee relationship exists, college athletes meet every legal definition of employee I've ever seen.)

I was referring to the coach.

If you were to consider the 3-5 years as an internship where you get to show off your skills to potential employers, while at the same time being given an opportunity to study for a backup career in case your pro sport sports dream was just that, a dream... then the current system isn’t all that bad, now, is it?

And, for all sports other than American football, there are other avenues to chase the dream that do not involve college.
At least in NY, interns have to get paid.

it's an oversimplification to say that in NY interns have to get paid. For-profit corporations have to pay interns unless an 11 pronged test is met.

Practically though, it does mean that for all intents and purposes, an unpaid internship for for-profit corporations don't exist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom