A bad trend is starting... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

A bad trend is starting...

Yes and got paid a years salary and is a year closer to his second contract.

What an idiot he is.

And yet somehow that wouldn't have been the case if he had the same injury in an NIT game?

I am not necessarily saying which side I'm on bc i get both.

But the reason why athletes aren't playing in bowl game is bc they don't want to get hurt before going to the next level.

What if there was a clause in the scholarship that if a team qualifies for a bowl game and a athlete doesn't play for any reason (other than suspension, injury or personal ie. bereavement) that the the scholarship would need to be paid back by the athlete?

A scholarship is a wonderful thing for so many college athletes. In many cases you can't even measure how valuable it really is.

ESPN is paying "about 600 million dollars" annually to air the CFP. 3 games.
ESPN is "charging advertisers as much as $1 million for just a single 30-second spot"

Maybe a scholarship isn't enough.

But the reason why athletes aren't playing in bowl game is bc they don't want to get hurt before going to the next level.

What if there was a clause in the scholarship that if a team qualifies for a bowl game and a athlete doesn't play for any reason (other than suspension, injury or personal ie. bereavement) that the the scholarship would need to be paid back by the athlete?

Some coaches don't coach in their bowl games. Why should the player get punished?

Didn't Clowney do that, too? I thought he started the whole trend.
a bit of quick googling shows that Clowney did play in the Capital One Bowl on 1/1/14 (had 5 tackles).

There is some merit, though, to the idea that Clowney got the ball rolling. There was serious speculation that he would skip entirely his junior year (with a lot of debate back and forth as to whether that was a good idea or make him some cross between a serial killer and con man). Ultimately he played the entire season.

This is ridiculous, and would be quickly dismissed as the ridiculous idea it is.

Players aren't chattel, and attempts to take advantage of unequal distribution of power EVEN MORE to somehow put the player's liability at hundreds of thousand of dollars is gross.

Beyond that, it would be practically unenforceable. Every player is injured to some extent by the end of the season. A player says he is injured and doesn't want to play and the team disagrees - is the school going to sue? That'll be fun - attorney's would line up to defend the player in that lawsuit. The discovery process would be fantastic - shine the light on how programs operate in getting players to play hurt. Get the head coach and coaching staff under oath in depositions, round up the hundreds of former players and get their stories. Yah, schools will be lining up to put themselves through that. Or, you know, they can understand that a star player who has already put his body at risk for the program and performed at a high level is going to sit out a bowl game to get ready for the draft. Not to mention that interfering with said star player will be noticed by every high school player that school is recruiting, each of whom expects to one day be in the position to be drafted. A school cracking down on players sitting out is going to have a helluva time recruiting high end talent.

Coaches put themselves first, and nobody bats an eye. Schools put themselves first (player safety is a joke and check out the majors these kids are forced into sometime) and nobody cares. Fans put themselves first, acting as if because they derive joy from watching the games they are owed guys putting their health at risk. Heaven forbid that a player, after 3 years of dedication, puts himself first for a single game.

And yet somehow that wouldn't have been the case if he had the same injury in an NIT game?

You don't seem to get the point. It doesn't matter.

People are talking about how skipping a bowl will hurt people's status and/or how they will move to the next level. Fact: it doesn't.

This is a fact. We've have multiple examples.
This is now going on multiple years of this same thread.

I understand people don't like that the weed eater bowl has lost its luster. Is what it is.

A scholarship is a wonderful thing for so many college athletes. In many cases you can't even measure how valuable it really is.

ESPN is paying "about 600 million dollars" annually to air the CFP. 3 games.
ESPN is "charging advertisers as much as $1 million for just a single 30-second spot"

Maybe a scholarship isn't enough.
Maybe the colleges are getting too much money, pushing them further from their designated purpose.

You don't seem to get the point. It doesn't matter.

People are talking about how skipping a bowl will hurt people's status and/or how they will move to the next level. Fact: it doesn't.

This is a fact. We've have multiple examples.
This is now going on multiple years of this same thread.

I understand people don't like that the weed eater bowl has lost its luster. Is what it is.

Re Simmons he got hurt in practice. He's a basketball player. Stop for a second and think how dumb it is that somebody would not play in a basketball game cuz he's afraid to get hurt. Between season end and the draft the guy probably played in dozens of pick up games where the injury risk is just as great as playing in a real game.

I never said skipping a bowl game would hurt anybody's status. I said if it were me and all other things being reasonably equal then I'd take a Darnold or Barkley over a Denzel Ward or Leonard Fournette. Just my opinion. That same guy that won't play in a bowl game will probably also be the same guy that will play cautiously in his contract year for fear of injury prior to free agency.

Last edited:
Notice that no one is answering this one.

We have specific cases yet we still have posts dealing with hypotheticals.

How would we know one way or the other? Fournette had a major rap at LSU for being a guy completely focused on his pro career while being vaguely interested in helping LSU win football games.

Maybe the colleges are getting too much money, pushing them further from their designated purpose.

Schools will do anything to spend the money on everything except giving it to the actual players

Schools will do anything to spend the money on everything except giving it to the actual players

Good. We never achieve changing the system for the better if we start paying players.

Good. We never achieve changing the system for the better if we start paying players.

Would be much easier to pay the players then reverse the current state of college athletics

Re Simmons he got hurt in practice. He's a basketball player. Stop for a second and think how dumb it is that somebody would not play in a basketball game cuz he's afraid to get hurt.

Why didn't Jay Ajayi play for the Eagles this week?

Why didn't Nick Foles play the whole game?

How dumb is it that he didn't play this week. He could have been hurt the week before.

You know the answer. The game didn't matter.

And that's where we are at. You think these bowl games matter. Some of the players obviously don't

Would be much easier to pay the players then reverse the current state of college athletics
Absolutely easier. But not better.

How would we know one way or the other? Fournette had a major rap at LSU for being a guy completely focused on his pro career while being vaguely interested in helping LSU win football games.
[citation needed]

Some coaches don't coach in their bowl games. Why should the player get punished?

Agree, the culmination of the game and season we all LOVE is THE most volatile time of year in the sport. The coaching calendar and now the early signing period do nothing good for the sport, the kids currently on roster that have given their heart and soul for years.

Seems punitive. Why would it be appropriate to penalize athletes for protecting their future earnings stream. That'd be like penalizing a student for not walking on graduation day.

What is so horrible about the idea of people getting paid for making a billion dollar industry function?

College academics shouldn’t be a billion dollar sports enterprise. That’s not their industry. Their industry, their charter, is education.

College academics shouldn’t be a billion dollar sports enterprise. That’s not their industry. Their industry, their charter, is education.
For better or worse, that ship has sailed. At least for football and basketball, the NCAA is a highly profitable hybrid between minor league sports and the European soccer academy system.

For better or worse, that ship has sailed. At least for football and basketball, the NCAA is a highly profitable hybrid between minor league sports and the European soccer academy system.
Disagree, and we continue to perpetuate an injustice on the socioeconomical disadvantaged by feeding the current system. It’s not too late to do the right thing. But I’m afraid if we start paying players we’ll never get it turned around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom