A couple of nuggets... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

A couple of nuggets...

This whole thread is ridiculous. Fact is that this board, others, and the aholes at Orangefizz impact the program negatively, in particular recruiting.

Some of the crap posted here and elsewhere makes the job harder.

Every single program deals with this stuff though, so I'm pretty sure it all evens out.

Football coaches just LOOVVVEEE to tell people how hard their job is though. Surgeons, cops, firefighters, scientists... they got it easy. Coaching football, man that is HARD.

Oh Lord

But when every single program has negative posts and blogs about their respective teams, does it really matter?

Alabama won the national championship. But I guarantee that there were countless negative posts or blog 'articles' written by Bama fans and posted for the world to see throughout the course of the season.
First, I would not expect that Alabama forums are as negative as e.g. syracuse.com etc. But feel free to find some examples and we can see for ourselves. Second, it does matter if it changes the mind of a single recruit. I think it might. It might not...but in any case, no one said anything about doing away with the internet.

Every single program deals with this stuff though, so I'm pretty sure it all evens out.

Football coaches just LOOVVVEEE to tell people how hard their job is though. Surgeons, cops, firefighters, scientists... they got it easy. Coaching football, man that is HARD.

Oh Lord
It's the nature of the beast. The beast is a losing program that has not fully turned the corner. Therefore, we are going to get many negative posters. The losses are like energy for them. The less we lose, the less energy that these posters will have. Eventually, it will be slightly more balanced. Sure, there will always be some... so it won't completely go away. Until then, I can understand why Marrone does not want to share a lot. My question is, does it really matter than Marrone does not share his every thought with us?

Oh Lord

External items that you can't control add risk to any endevor, and those are the hardest things to mitigate. Some people even make a living out of trying to manage that stuff.

All he was letting these guys know is that it's a concern.

And some programs, like SU, have less margin and ability to absorb the impact than others, to it doesn't all even out.

I blame society.

with kudos to Repo Man:
Duke: The lights are growing dim Otto. I know a life of crime has led me to this sorry fate, and yet, I blame society. Society made me what I am.
Otto: That's bullshit. You're a white suburban punk just like me.
Duke: Yeah, but it still hurts.

If you think the SU forums are bad, you should read the Yankees blogs.

When you lose, they say bad things about you.

When you win, they say less bad things about you.

And some programs, like SU, have less margin and ability to absorb the impact than others, to it doesn't all even out.
Bingo. Forget that your job is harder than others', pile on the extra burdens and obstacles, sure no problem.

That $2 coffee at Starbucks might not seem like a lot if you are trust fund baby Alabama, but when you are scraping every penny to get a used car to replace your collapsing winter rat, it's a needless setback.

I doubt Marrone reads the board/blogs himself, but the AD definitely does, and the players do as well.

I wrote something after last spring on TNIAAM that was very critical of one player, and he came up to me in Schine one day and thanked me for writing it, and we talk every so often when we run into each other on campus. I don't know if that's being a bad influence, but the players definitely know what's being said about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt Marrone reads the board/blogs himself, but the AD definitely does, and the players do as well.

I wrote something after last spring on TNIAAM that was very critical of one player, and he came up to me in Schine one day and thanked me for writing it, and we talk every so often when we run into each other on campus. I don't know if that's being a bad influence, but the players definitely know what's being said about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing like that oh shiiiiiiii feeling. Happens to everyone and the good ones never forget it and let their gut guide them.

Rest of us, big picture, there is no vaccuum.

Everyone here, say what you want. I don't care. Me, I'm not necessarily trying to be more of a cheerleader, just less in the cheap snark department.

External items that you can't control add risk to any endevor, and those are the hardest things to mitigate. Some people even make a living out of trying to manage that stuff.

All he was letting these guys know is that it's a concern.

I'm sure you know risk is always more obvious to someone or something that is performing poorly. The impact of the internet on recruiting is so minimal and sooo far down the list it isn't something to get worked up about or even mention. Wanna help recruiting? Here are the big 3 in order.

1. Winning
2. Attendance
3. Facilities

The internet? Maybe 54th.

I'm sure you know risk is always more obvious to someone or something that is performing poorly. The impact of the internet on recruiting is so minimal and sooo far down the list it isn't something to get worked up about or even mention. Wanna help recruiting? Here are the big 3 in order.

1. Winning
2. Attendance
3. Facilities

Your list looks good but you are blowing the whole internet thing out of proportion and context. The original thread-starter said it was just a conversation. No one held a news conference denouncing the blogs or internet. And don't bet that all the negativity has no effect on recruiting. H.S. kids soak that stuff up... when they narrow their choices down, I bet there are times when the most miniscule thing (otherwise) is used to differentiate the choices in the end. You never know.

Your list looks good but you are blowing the whole internet thing out of proportion and context. The original thread-starter said it was just a conversation. No one held a news conference denouncing the blogs or internet. And don't bet that all the negativity has no effect on recruiting. H.S. kids soak that stuff up... when they narrow their choices down, I bet there are times when the most miniscule thing (otherwise) is used to differentiate the choices in the end. You never know.

We went around and around this argument near the end of the Coach P dynasty. This topic polarizes the posters on this board.

I will say this though, whether or not these message board effect recruiting is secondary. Here is what they do: We here are the programs supporters. The folks that (supposedly) are the hardcores, the mainstays. Most people in the community don't invest anywhere near the emotional energy, thought process or investigative attitude into the SU football program. They simply go on what they hear from other people -- people like you and me. I always (make that ALWAYS) talk of the positives and possibilities about the SU program when speaking with people who are largely ignorant on the subject. I feel like I'm selling them on the program. Enthusiasm breeds enthusiasm, which breeds success. Even a great coach, or a great program will struggle if the fan base is apathetic or constantly critical. My opinion is, spread the good word. Get people excited about SU football. And if you can't get them excited, at least keep them hopeful and upbeat. JMO.

1. Winning
2. Attendance
3. Facilities

I would switch Facilities above attendance, but those are my thoughts.

We went around and around this argument near the end of the Coach P dynasty. This topic polarizes the posters on this board.

I will say this though, whether or not these message board effect recruiting is secondary. Here is what they do: We here are the programs supporters. The folks that (supposedly) are the hardcores, the mainstays. Most people in the community don't invest anywhere near the emotional energy, thought process or investigative attitude into the SU football program. They simply go on what they hear from other people -- people like you and me. I always (make that ALWAYS) talk of the positives and possibilities about the SU program when speaking with people who are largely ignorant on the subject. I feel like I'm selling them on the program. Enthusiasm breeds enthusiasm, which breeds success. Even a great coach, or a great program will struggle if the fan base is apathetic or constantly critical. My opinion is, spread the good word. Get people excited about SU football. And if you can't get them excited, at least keep them hopeful and upbeat. JMO.
I agree with your approach and try to do the same thing.

I'm not blowing it out of proportion at all. The same comment has been made other times including to some posters here. What is blown out of proportion is it even being mentioned when there are much bigger fish to fry. It is a nit, especially when most message boards are exactly the same regardless of fan base. There are some team sites that are down right nasty to coaches and players. Also, while I can't say that SU has never lost a recruit because of a message board or blog, I have never heard of one.

I have been an admin/mod on these boards for a decade or more. I have gotten to casually know admins at other sites, writers, content providers and network analysts. Not one single time, not one, has any of them ever said that Player X chose school A over SU because of something said on a message board. I have heard all the usual reasons...they liked staff A, closer to home, playing time, connections to school A, etc., as well as the 3 I listed, winning (or losing), fans in the seats and facilities.

My only point is that sure, coaches hate the internet, but programs can and do use it to their advantage. It is also small potatoes compared to everything else that impacts recruiting and the program. But too many times it is brought up by a coach in the negative sense and intimating it is or can hurt the program. Bottom line is that the internet is not going away. It is water cooler talk or letters to the editor on steroids times 1,000. Embrace it or forget it and focus on the real drivers of risk or program weaknesses.

I'm not blowing it out of proportion at all. The same comment has been made other times including to some posters here. What is blown out of proportion is it even being mentioned when there are much bigger fish to fry. It is a nit, especially when most message boards are exactly the same regardless of fan base. There are some team sites that are down right nasty to coaches and players. Also, while I can't say that SU has never lost a recruit because of a message board or blog, I have never heard of one.

I have been an admin/mod on these boards for a decade or more. I have gotten to casually know admins at other sites, writers, content providers and network analysts. Not one single time, not one, has any of them ever said that Player X chose school A over SU because of something said on a message board. I have heard all the usual reasons...they liked staff A, closer to home, playing time, connections to school A, etc., as well as the 3 I listed, winning (or losing), fans in the seats and facilities.

My only point is that sure, coaches hate the internet, but programs can and do use it to their advantage. It is also small potatoes compared to everything else that impacts recruiting and the program. But too many times it is brought up by a coach in the negative sense and intimating it is or can hurt the program. Bottom line is that the internet is not going away. It is water cooler talk or letters to the editor on steroids times 1,000. Embrace it or forget it and focus on the real drivers of risk or program weaknesses.

I think it's valid point of view to say that whiny, negative comments about a team, player, coach does the program no favors. No one said Marrone can't handle it. No one said it's killing the program. No one is running down the street in mass hysteria about it. However, it's still not a good thing. I'm not a fan of it. It's not about the internet. It's about any medium that is used to spew it.

Had the good fortune of spending some time the other day, along with fellow board member hoopsupstate, with THE highest of sources. Just a couple of tidbits from that conversation that I feel comfortable enough to share with you guys:

1. Look for a new addition to the current class before the start of Fall camp. A DL with great size.
  2. Possible transfer from a major program at LB.
  3. We are in VERY good shape with Wayne Williams.
  4. He is pleased with the state of recruiting. Said that when they can get a home visit, they have a "74 percent success rate."
  5. AB is "by far, the best athlete on offense" and will be on the field.
  6. Is very concerned with "outside influences" effecting the team. Mentioned "bloggers."
  7. Described some of the incoming Freshmen/JCs as "killers."
Great guy and great ambassador for the program. I really hope he is given every opportunity to get the program turned around.

:EOff the charts great stuff, Number 7 I kind of figured but love it here Number 5 must be true for the program and Doug. It also must be at QB!!

When I lived in Syracuse and relatively young I would be among a group of friends/coworkers and I recall saying that i was going to Saturday's game. I also recall the words from supposed sport fans "Why do you want to do that ?" "I hate Syracuse football". How boring" etc. Screw 'em I went anyways . Usually with another friend who wasn't quite as adement anti Orangemen. I think the fan base in Syracuse for the school is multi tiered. The bottom views the school as a high income snob alumni base which is true to a very large extent. I've seen it in action on too many occasions. I think the school has done a poor job in recent years of attracting families to the games.

[*]He is pleased with the state of recruiting. Said that when they can get a home visit, they have a "74 percent success rate.".

74% close rate on in-homes? So we only get 30 In-homes a year? I wonder if that is typical.

I think it's valid point of view to say that whiny, negative comments about a team, player, coach does the program no favors. No one said Marrone can't handle it. No one said it's killing the program. No one is running down the street in mass hysteria about it. However, it's still not a good thing. I'm not a fan of it. It's not about the internet. It's about any medium that is used to spew it.

Little dramatic? Discussing something negative or something negative that happened, is not causing harm to the program. Must be every program save the undefeated, top 5, Alabama type programs are being harmed by their whiny fans. I think it is just as silly to run around acting like everything is peaches and cream and nobody can do no wrong. Do you know how many threads turn into pissing matches and go forever because someone says something like "it is stupid not to have a recruiting event" but then all the "we should say nothing negative" people jump in and make excuses? Any mention of the internet impacting the program is both being out of touch and childish. It's also trying to displace blame which some posters here love to do.

lots of fun information in there 007. Incredible that the nancies on this board ignore all the football related info and focus on, complain and wring their hands about the bloggers comment - who gives a ____. Any excuse to bitch and moan I guess.

thanks for posting
Dead on, huge problem personified. Very hard not to be turned off. I personally do not think it is the leak of information piece but the negativity. Almost like an atmosphere, you know what I am saying. Nothing better to do and infatuated with self.

That sucks... Let's make people take a test, or have them vetted, and if they pass, they are eligible for the super secret, password protected, NSA approved board. The rest of the morons can pound salt. Unlike life, let's let the good guys win on this forum.
It does suck, truly does

Oh Lord
You sir are completely clueless, I suspect you have absolutely no idea of what you speak on both fronts.

Great post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom