A couple of nuggets... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

A couple of nuggets...

So 99% of the coaches worry that bloggers/posters can impact their team (and since it was said that must mean in a negative way)? Do other coaches use the internet to their advantage (hint: the answer is yes)? Do these supposed 99% of coaches who blame the internet for failures realize that 99% of the people on the internet are real fans that go to games (or as many as they can), donate $$$$ to the program and go to bowl games? Maybe the worry should be those fans that show up as silver benches?

Its not just "bloggers" trust me this site is checked on a daily basis and the whole staff is familiar with it including Marrone.

I too, have your back, coach. And I would very much appreciate an authentic jersey, #3 please. You can PM me for more details.

LOL you guys are to funny.

Who said anything about him being hated? Your confusing SU the school versus the fball program.

"Far from loved" is a lot closer to "hated" on the spectrum than it is to "loved". :)

Its not just "bloggers" trust me this site is checked on a daily basis and the whole staff is familiar with it including Marrone.

Good, they should be checking in on websites like this one. Do you know how much money other businesses spend in a quest to better understand their customers and potential customers (their opinions on how the business operates, current business practices that turn them off, ideas for what would peak their interest)? Tons. Imagine if people posted on websites all their opinions about how their local shopping mall should operate including what special events would get them to visit and spend money & what stores they would like to see brought in?

Here, you get to read the "die hard" fans thoughts on what they think the program is doing well and also what could be improved upon, sometimes even with ideas for how people would go about solving the potential problems. They would be crazy not to at least attempt to understand what their "customer" wants, IMO.

"Far from loved" is a lot closer to "hated" on the spectrum than it is to "loved". :)

That is what I heard from a football standpoint, I cant speak to the academic side. I think Sean's blog is tolerated more then Fuzz.

Good, they should be checking in on websites like this one. Do you know how much money other businesses spend in a quest to better understand their customers and potential customers (their opinions on how the business operates, current business practices that turn them off, ideas for what would peak their interest)? Tons. Imagine if people posted on websites all their opinions about how their local shopping mall should operate including what special events would get them to visit and spend money & what stores they would like to see brought in?

Here, you get to read the "die hard" fans thoughts on what they think the program is doing well and also what could be improved upon, sometimes even with ideas for how people would go about solving the potential problems. They would be crazy not to at least attempt to understand what their "customer" wants, IMO.

Your thought is a good one but there not reading and checking this board for the reasons you outlined, pretty much the opposite.

Coach - more emotion on the sideline. You're welcome.

Your thought is a good one but there not reading and checking this board for the reasons you outlined, pretty much the opposite.

Yep...and that is the problem.

It's all in how you perceive things.

For example, lets take a post on a message board. It's a person detailing how he had a bad experience with customer service at the Dome...how the employees working the ticket office were not as knowledgeable as they could be, and how this customer was also ticked off at a service charge on season tickets. This person finishes his post by saying these things were the last straw, and that he would not be purchasing his season tickets for the first time in 5 years. Or a post about how an autograph session could have been run better. Or a post about how the fans like the media having access to practices because it facilitates discussion about the team and promotes hope for another upcoming season. Or how some would have liked a recruiting event of some sort to learn about & become invested in the newer players on the team. Etc.

The person who seeks out that information, is grateful for being informed of the customer's experience (even if, especially if, bad experience), works to make employees aware of this valuable customer feedback on how they can deliver the best customer service possible and then acts on how to improve on those processes going forward will have MUCH GREATER SUCCESS than the person who reads this, rolls their eyes, passes it off as "just another negative person...we don't need negative people as customers" and hopes other employees don't see it.

I also hope this negative view of "bloggers" doesn't cloud the thinking of those with the SU Football program so much so that some of the "softer" side of things about the program are neglected. (You can already make a point about how this stuff is already being neglected in closing spring practices to fans & media, not having a recruiting event, not announcing the hiring of new coaches, etc, but I will focus on just the interaction with the media right now.)

What I mean is, I hope SU Football doesn't begin to "rebel against the bloggers", and not attempt to work with the "new age media" in ways that can be really endearing to fans...such as how the SU Basketball team has in the past with the Scoop & Wes/Kris Show, how open the bball players are to interviews and in general just the way the team interacts so well with blogs and media...which in turn allows the fans of the program to really feel invested in the players like Scoop Jardine, Kris Joseph, etc. Embracing the media can pay huge dividends these days. Especially "bloggers". When fans can read interviews with players, read about their backstories, etc, it just fosters a deeper bond between the fans and the team. And it's something that has really been lacking with the SU football program these past few months, IMO. That is the kind of stuff you lose by not allowing the media to cover spring practices. How well do we even know AB, or any of the new guys? I just hope that SU Football isn't totally villianizing the media, because that could be a mistake.

But hey, some say that "winning cures all", and maybe that is what is being counted on. IMO, winning is a very big part of the equation...but the bond between fans and the players/program should also not be understated, because it can be pretty valuable as well.

I won't go off, but the comment is indicative of someone out of touch. Blogs, message boards, the internet isn't going away and is only going to grow. SU needs to learn how to use it to their advantage like some other schools do and not make claims that the internet could be cause, or a contributor, for any failures.

I don't disagree with that at all, just making a joke about what is bound to happen.

I think this thread is a prime example of why coaches get frustrated with message boards. A post with seven points (most were great info about the team) instantly goes negative and becomes a thread about "Marrone hates the Internet".

The OP said "Marrone was concerned about out side influences on the team. Mentioned bloggers". How do we start there and get to Marrone hates the Internet?

Yep...and that is the problem.

It's all in how you perceive things.

For example, lets take a post on a message board. It's a person detailing how he had a bad experience with customer service at the Dome...how the employees working the ticket office were not as knowledgeable as they could be, and how this customer was also ticked off at a service charge on season tickets. This person finishes his post by saying these things were the last straw, and that he would not be purchasing his season tickets for the first time in 5 years. Or a post about how an autograph session could have been run better. Or a post about how the fans like the media having access to practices because it facilitates discussion about the team and promotes hope for another upcoming season. Or how some would have liked a recruiting event of some sort to learn about & become invested in the newer players on the team. Etc.

The person who seeks out that information, is grateful for being informed of the customer's experience (even if, especially if, bad experience), works to make employees aware of this valuable customer feedback on how they can deliver the best customer service possible and then acts on how to improve on those processes going forward will have MUCH GREATER SUCCESS than the person who reads this, rolls their eyes, passes it off as "just another negative person...we don't need negative people as customers" and hopes other employees don't see it.
evidently the dome ticket office doesn't read this board

I find this "blogger" comment ridiculous...however you slice it. We've been told HCDM is all about the football these days. Cut out all the fluff like barnstorming the region and talking to fans. Now he's concerned about the Internet?

Be concerned about winning games, getting kids signed and keeping your players off the police blotter. The "bloggers" are the least of SU football's problems.

YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER ONE VERY IMPORTANT THING HERE...WERE DEALING WITH MY WIFE:noidea:...AIRHEADED BLOND

CCSF's McKinney is still wide open http://media.At their request, this network is being blocked from this site./media/a/jcfootball/premium.gif

http://media.At their request, this network is being blocked from this site./Media/Image/102/1026103.jpg

Is this possibly be him??
By Scott Eklund
JCFootball.com
Date: Jan 24, 2012

One of the top JUCO wideouts in the country this year was City College of San Francisco's Daniel McKinney (6-1, 220) and he thought he was going to be a mid-year prospect. However, after being unable to finish up a class in time to enroll at West Virginia, he is back in the Bay Area and already has several BCS programs showing interest...

I believe it's more of the players reading the blogs than Marrone.

Thanks for the post, it brightened up a rainy morning.

lots of fun information in there 007. Incredible that the nancies on this board ignore all the football related info and focus on, complain and wring their hands about the bloggers comment - who gives a ____. Any excuse to bitch and moan I guess.

thanks for posting

yuck, excuses...I cant wait to hear that the syracuse.com football forum has ruined the program. lol. hot seat level just bumped up a notch.

I won't go off, but the comment is indicative of someone out of touch. Blogs, message boards, the internet isn't going away and is only going to grow. SU needs to learn how to use it to their advantage like some other schools do and not make claims that the internet could be cause, or a contributor, for any failures.

coaches and internet geeks are both up, both think they really matter in the grand scheme. again, these guys for the most part are meathead phys ed teachers, the smart ones don't worry about bloggers just as most internet posters don't get ther BVD's in a knot when the coach says he doesn't like internet forums, who gives a rats ing ass about it eitherway. Geeze, a meathead has disrespected nameless, faceless posters on the internet, but I AM A SEASON TICKET HOLDER!!! As if Marrone just spit on your kids or something, serioulsy this is up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom