A little information for our friends on the boneyard | Syracusefan.com

A little information for our friends on the boneyard

dasher

Living Legend
I read all the time over on that cesspool that we have been a quick exit from the NCAA tournament. Sadly for them, I did some research. Let's pretend that basketball did begin when Jim Calhoun took over the Huskies. Since that day, starting in the '86-87 season, the Huskies have made it to the sweet 16 13 times. So have we. That's right. We made it to the second weekend just as many times as they did over this glorious time period. They have gone to 4 final fours during this time frame. So have we. (of course we went to a final four before they knew college hoops existed back in 1975). The reason they think they have done better than us is that they have only been ousted 4 times on the first weekend. The problem is, they missed the tournament 6 times going to the NIT. So what they see as our failure to get by the first weekend is just that we made it to the NCAA when they didn't make the tournament They also missed the tournament 2 other times. Once for grades and once because they just sucked and couldn't even make the NIT. We also missed a tournament for sanctions. We went to 4 NIT's. Giving them credit where credit is due, they have done better than us getting to elite 8's and they have won all 3 of their title games where we won only one. Of course, we also had the misfortune of meeting blue blood programs when we got there and not G-tech and Butler. In any case, the tide has turned and the last two years we went to an elite 8 and another final 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read all the time over on that cesspool that we have been a quick exit from the NCAA tournament. Sadly for them, I did some research. Let's pretend that basketball did begin when Jim Calhoun took over the Huskies. Since that day, starting in the '86-87 season, the Huskies have made it to the sweet 16 13 times. So have we. That's right. We made it to the second weekend just as many times as they did over this glorious time period. They have gone to 4 final fours during this time frame. So have we. (of course we went to a final four before they knew college hoops existed back in 1975). The reason they think they have done better than us is that they have only been ousted 4 times on the first weekend. The problem is, they missed the tournament 6 times going to the NIT. So what they see as our failure to get by the first weekend is just that we made it to the NCAA when they didn't make the tournament They also missed the touranment 2 other times. Once for grades and once because they just sucked and couldn't even make the NIT. We also missed a tournament for sanctions. We went to 4 NIT's. Giving them credit where credit is due, they have done better than us getting to elite 8's and they have won all 3 of their title games where we won only one. Of course, we also had the misfortune of meeting blue blood programs when we got there and not G-tech and Butler. In any case, the tide has turned and the last two years we went to an elite 8 and another final 4.

Dasher,
where to begin...

1 - why do you "I read all the time" in that place - you have nothing better to do than read a mid-major forum ?? don't you have some underwear that needs folding, air in your tires replaced etc...

2 -

3 - now this will hurt me more than it hurts you - but Jim Calhoun is arguably the best coach of this generation - he is no longer there - they will not have continued success

4 -

I read all the time over on that cesspool that we have been a quick exit from the NCAA tournament. Sadly for them, I did some research. Let's pretend that basketball did begin when Jim Calhoun took over the Huskies. Since that day, starting in the '86-87 season, the Huskies have made it to the sweet 16 13 times. So have we. That's right. We made it to the second weekend just as many times as they did over this glorious time period. They have gone to 4 final fours during this time frame. So have we. (of course we went to a final four before they knew college hoops existed back in 1975). The reason they think they have done better than us is that they have only been ousted 4 times on the first weekend. The problem is, they missed the tournament 6 times going to the NIT. So what they see as our failure to get by the first weekend is just that we made it to the NCAA when they didn't make the tournament They also missed the touranment 2 other times. Once for grades and once because they just sucked and couldn't even make the NIT. We also missed a tournament for sanctions. We went to 4 NIT's. Giving them credit where credit is due, they have done better than us getting to elite 8's and they have won all 3 of their title games where we won only one. Of course, we also had the misfortune of meeting blue blood programs when we got there and not G-tech and Butler. In any case, the tide has turned and the last two years we went to an elite 8 and another final 4.

Not to mention that 2 out of the last 4 years, we've lost our starting center going into the tournament.

dasher said:

That sir, is your all time best post. Bravo.

Dasher,
where to begin...

1 - why do you "I read all the time" in that place - you have nothing better to do than read a mid-major forum ?? don't you have some underwear that needs folding, air in your tires replaced etc...

2 -

3 - now this will hurt me more than it hurts you - but Jim Calhoun is arguably the best coach of this generation - he is no longer there - they will not have continued success

4 -
shouldn't you be on the off topic board? I like college basketball and read a lot of other boards. I don't know if I disagree about the job Calhoun did at UConn. Even if he was there, the drop to the AAC would be too much for even him to overcome. It will get a lot worse for them.

It's not just the boneyard. If you peruse some ACC or Big East boards you will notice that Syracuse has a perception of choking in the tournament. Which, in my opinion, is just plain stupid considering we have just had an elite 8 and final 4 appearance.

That sir, is your all time best post. Bravo.
Is that sincere or a takeoff of my posts calling your posts the best ever? Either way, I accept the comp!!

This year makes it 3 starting centers in 5 years
I didn't want to play that card. They lost a kid a few years ago that might have put them over the top as well.

It's not just the boneyard. If you peruse some ACC or Big East boards you will notice that Syracuse has a perception of choking in the tournament. Which, in my opinion, is just plain stupid considering we have just had an elite 8 and final 4 appearance.

You can thank Richmond and Vermont for that perception.

UConn fans are the only fanbase more out of touch than West Virginia. They believe because they played mediocre football when we had Greg Robinson means they surpassed our football history. Their basketball teams won the 3 NC and you can't take that away from them, but they have been way more up and down than big time college basketball team in recent history. Honestly that Kemba Walker miracle run in 2011 is the only reason I still consider them elite. You can't find be as elite as they think they are miss the NCAA Tournament as many times as they have. I mean when Syracuse is at nadir we are a bubble team. If we had the First Four like now we make the Tournament in 2007 and 2008. We missed in 1992 and 2002, but our program has been more consistent. They have the rings, but thats it. I hope they enjoy the Tulane, East Carolina, Tulsa rivalries starting next year.

UConn fans are the only fanbase more out of touch than West Virginia. They believe because they played mediocre football when we had Greg Robinson means they surpassed our football history. Their basketball teams won the 3 NC and you can't take that away from them, but they have been way more up and down than big time college basketball team in recent history. Honestly that Kemba Walker miracle run in 2011 is the only reason I still consider them elite. You can't find be as elite as they think they are miss the NCAA Tournament as many times as they have. I mean when Syracuse is at nadir we are a bubble team. If we had the First Four like now we make the Tournament in 2007 and 2008. We missed in 1992 and 2002, but our program has been more consistent. They have the rings, but thats it. I hope they enjoy the Tulane, East Carolina, Tulsa rivalries starting next year.
A bit off topic...but Damn Alsacs, i don't think I've ever seen a post of yours that less than a paragraph.

You can thank Richmond and Vermont for that perception.

And the Syracusefan.com posters who continuously bring these two teams up when discussing the possible tournament fortunes of the current team. We get all pissed off when other boards bring up our past and try to use it against us, but we seem to do the same thing to ourselves. I don't give a crap about the Richmond and Vermont games, and they have zero, nada, no bearing on the current team. This team is winning it all this year!

As much as I think SU fans are paranoid sometimes, I have to admit it is hard to get past the What aspect of the Vermont douche landing a job @espn when how many 4seeds or better have lost since then - 5? 7? 10? More? It happens every year. What about the San Diego St coach or the Lehigh guy or the #15 I can't even remember who beat Missouri or oh yeah, Bucknell the same night as Vermont - no CBS or FS1 studio gig or anything? But Vermont was somehow the biggest upset ever right up there w/ the Namath Jets & '80 US Hockey. It's unreal.

dasher said:
Is that sincere or a takeoff of my posts calling your posts the best ever? Either way, I accept the comp!!

Both

We are Syracuse.
We continually break/set attendance records. We're a perennial nationally relevant team & have been for over FORTY (40) years.
We have VERY prominent alumni and there's not a corner of this country you can go to that someone hasn't heard our name...somehow.
Being that prominent a program is a double-edged sword. If we lose a What game on the big stage, its instant news...period.
Consider that there are some yahoos who consider Kansas, even with all their history, to be "chokers"...whatever that means. Why, because they've lost big games on the big stage, when everyone was watching.
Considering the alternative however, its much better if we just accept our circumstances as par for the course.
It is what it is.

The stink of the Richmond game was starting to wear off and then SU got sprayed by Vermont. The casual fan only knows those two upsets and that creates an unfair perception.

We were hurt by a number of things. The expectations were high after our '87 final four, and rightfully so. It's crazy to think that we never got to a another one before Owens left. Then the sanctions were like running into a brick wall. Much of the momentum that had built during the 80's was gone. JB did some ridiculous coaching to do what he did with some of those rosters. The class with Winfred Walton was supposed to be the beginning of our resurgence, but the stud of the class never makes it to campus and the rest of the guys were very good role players that became a good team, but we never had realistic final four expectations with them. We finally punched through with Melo, but it took us a while to capitalize on it, recruiting wise, with the Roberts/Nichols/McCroskey/Watkins class never meeting expectations. We're in the midst of another golden era. Hopefully, a few more final fours and a championship or two are in the cards.

The stink of the Richmond game was starting to wear off and then SU got sprayed by Vermont. The casual fan only knows those two upsets and that creates an unfair perception.

See thats the thing. EVERY team has Richmond and Vermont losses in the NCAA's. You can name me a top 20 all time team that hasnt had these types of losses.

I hope they enjoy the Tulane, East Carolina, Tulsa rivalries starting next year.[/quote]
As their recruiting slowly sinks into the abyss. Top recruits won't be choosing to play in the AAC...unless they're local kids from Memphis.

The 5-12 loss to A&M also totally skews the #s. As that was more like a 8/9 game AT BEST.
GMac misses that shot vs Cincy and we're prob out.

The 5-12 loss to A&M also totally skews the #s. As that was more like a 8/9 game AT BEST.

Same with the Vermont game. That team (who had been in the NCAA's 2 years in a row prior with the same players) were no worse than an 11 seed and was a 21 RPI.

Great post dasher, and great thread in general. A few thoughts. ..

Ucon fans also didn't know about things like the final 4 in 87 either.

If Calhoun could still coach today, he would do well there still, and then parlay that into a better coaching job.

Fans of lamer programs consider their team to be solid achievers in the tournament as long as they play to seed, as of its somehow better to lose in the 2nd round as a 7 seed than in the Elite 8 as a 1 seed. This is also part of the reason similar thinking people think SU is some kind of choker in the tournament. That and the fact that SU is not particularly liked by others imo, so fans tend to better remember when SU does in fact get upset.

When the committee says they weigh the entire season equally at least in 2006 that was BS. SU was probably on the outside of the bubble before that BET. So by winning those four games they move up from a 12 seed all the way to a 5? 4 games gives you a 25+ bump in the S curve? I think not. Vegas also told the story about that ridiculous 5/12 game with A&M favored by tip time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom