A little inside info | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

A little inside info

I don’t know if Lamson is a good QB, but I think it’s entirely plausible and reasonable that he might’ve thought he could beat out Shrader.

Shrader’s a top 10 efficient QB. The doors been closed to compete for QB1 since 2021.
In retrospect there were faint whispers that when summer camp started, it was Shrader who came back looking the most impressive and took the time off most seriously. So it was no surprise to see him take the job.

I don’t know if Lamson is a good QB, but I think it’s entirely plausible and reasonable that he might’ve thought he could beat out Shrader.
from what i was told he felt that he had a chance before he got hurt. bottom line is i believe based on what i heard was that he felt he was in the running to start. I was also told that it was known that he was going to get snaps in the first two games this year.

This optimism was provided by about as good a source as you can get. He did state that the key is keeping healthy. Talked about how beat up the team was for the second half of the season. Confirmed that Tucker was week to week and that so many guys were playing banged up. Said it was as bad as he had seen it. I asked about the nutrition stuff and overall conditioning and health staff, and he said top notch. basically, said it was a lot of bad luck. He did say that there is a bigger emphasis on warming up and stretching both pre and also post workouts. Really great conversation i learned a lot about the team and coaches and again the one thing i heard was that this person felt this was the best staff in a very long time.

I was not being sarcastic. I love the comments and these additional ones.

from what i was told he felt that he had a chance before he got hurt. bottom line is i believe based on what i heard was that he felt he was in the running to start. I was also told that it was known that he was going to get snaps in the first two games this year.
I’ll be curious to see what he does at Stanford. Kid has talent.

If it was planned that he was going to get snaps, they liked him.

Disappointed about the Lamson stuff. It's unrealistic for a guy to think he can unseat a starter who is a known leader and playmaker with more experience in the current system, unless he's Sunshine caliber. This was the perfect year for him to learn and then step into the starting role next year. Oh well. Good luck to him.

Attachments

• D8DCA251-D9F4-49BA-84AD-A16B40520B06.gif
    D8DCA251-D9F4-49BA-84AD-A16B40520B06.gif
    383 KB · Views: 62
Well you never know who you are going to sit to on a flight and today i had a chance to sit next to someone very in the know about the Orange football team.

First time meeting this person but very impressed. Spoke openly about lots of things. Coaches, QB battle, Lamson, basically every coach and player on the team who contributes.

Here a couple of tidbits some we know some maybe not.

Bleich is looking good and is expected to be a full go according to himself.
Lamson left because he didn't like the way things were going after the spring. Felt he deserved a shot at starting this year he did miss home but it was more about Playing time.
Carlos and Lamson are two completely different QBs. Lamson more controlled Carlos more freewheeling and athletic. Both have excellent arms and they got along well, and the team likes both of them so no locker room stuff at all.
The Frosh Perry is a Freak a specimen who I was told if he can harness it NFL raw talent.
DLine is the best in year. Deep and very talented
New punter is off the chart. Said that every so often during practice he will hit a ball and it sounds like a shot going off. Huge leg
The wr jones is looking very good. They expect big things from him. Pena as well as I guess he has upped his game.
No more Rhino ball. That look is done with.
Beck is very different from Dr Bob. More laid back not as gruff the kids like him. Nothing on Long
Farmer is the bomb according to this person. Super knowledgeable and has a way of simplifying everything so he seems to be an upgrade.
They all miss the kids that left for Ohio State and LSU
Allen is the real deal. I guess in practice he really shines.
Best all-around athletes are Justin B, the Frosh D kid and Alford who I understand is a crazy good bball player.
Green lakes is the spot for the team in the summer.
The kids all really like this staff and they especially like and respect Dino.

They are expecting a very good year. talked about the Army game being one the D is focused on and they want Clemson very badly.

Great conversation.
How openly? Any concerns, weaknesses, or pitfalls?

I’ll be curious to see what he does at Stanford. Kid has talent.
hearing what I heard I will not be surprised to see him light it up. Lamson 100% felt he should be starting or at a minimum getting some serious PT . I actually love it and why not. You want a QB with confidence. Only time will tell. Either way Lamson is going to get one heck of a degree.

How openly? Any concerns, weaknesses, or pitfalls?
He talked about Dr. Bob. Said that he was really detailed. That he went through every blown assignment in great detail and that the players dreaded having to deal with him if they screwed up. He spoke very highly of both Farmer and Lynch. Said both were excellent coaches. The feel I got is that Dino has an excellent staff. According to him it's a no BS staff. The kids know where they stand and there are very little games.
Said his position is super tight and he said he was pretty certain the mob would continue. He did mention the two DBs that left as being really good guys and players that would be missed on and off the field. Said the remaining guys were solid but I could tell the team was sad these two left. One more interesting thing was his take on NIL. Obviously for it on the whole but said he doesn't like that I can break up a team and have your friends leave. He was super close with Lamson and the kid that went to Ohio state like really close so losing two good friends is tough. Very articulate young man. regardless of if he makes the NFL he will do well.

Oh, and as to Berg he said his gift was he was really coachable and smart. He said he rarely made mistakes and when he did, he never made them twice. Said that others had similar gifts but that he attention to detail separated him. Great trip very special getting the opportunity to listen to him discuss the program.

we exchanged phone numbers, and I invited him and as many kids as possible if they wanted to come over to the lake to ski or just hang out. Funny but he had no clue where Skaneateles was. Thought it was a couple of hours away up by Rochester.

Disappointed about the Lamson stuff. It's unrealistic for a guy to think he can unseat a starter who is a known leader and playmaker with more experience in the current system, unless he's Sunshine caliber. This was the perfect year for him to learn and then step into the starting role next year. Oh well. Good luck to him.
Agreed...short sighted of him

hearing what I heard I will not be surprised to see him light it up. Lamson 100% felt he should be starting or at a minimum getting some serious PT . I actually love it and why not. You want a QB with confidence. Only time will tell. Either way Lamson is going to get one heck of a degree.
Except if he was told he was going to get some snaps in the first couple games this year what else does he expect? In the spring he hasn't even been competing with the starter from the past two years to know how he compares. How could the coaches realistically start him even if he has looked great.

I really wanted him to stay and liked what he had displayed more than CDRW and was really excited about him. Seemed like he could have gotten a little action this year and or more if Shrader gets injured then started for 2 more years. Oh well. On to CDRW who is hopefully pretty good as well.

Except if he was told he was going to get some snaps in the first couple games this year what else does he expect? In the spring he hasn't even been competing with the starter from the past two years to know how he compares. How could the coaches realistically start him even if he has looked great.

I really wanted him to stay and liked what he had displayed more than CDRW and was really excited about him. Seemed like he could have gotten a little action this year and or more if Shrader gets injured then started for 2 more years. Oh well. On to CDRW who is hopefully pretty good as well.
I think CDRW is going to be fantastic. Just hope Beck stays around if he's as good as advertised.

I think CDRW is going to be fantastic. Just hope Beck stays around if he's as good as advertised.
I just liked Lamson's demeanor and composure along with what seemed to be more consistent accuracy a bit better. Lamson wasn't quite as as athletic and wasn't quite as big as CDRW is but was still pretty athletic. But yes CDRW could very well be fantastic as well.

Not to mention he just missed an entire season with an ACL injury. The entire situation called for patience, and given Shrader's style of play, there likely would have been snaps available.

As you said, oh well.
I just don’t get Jason’s thought process. 2 years in a row we needed a backup for 2-4 games. Shrader is gonna run. He woulda played. A lot. Next 2 years ran team.

So let’s be clear here….he was clearly QB2.

I just don’t get Jason’s thought process. 2 years in a row we needed a backup for 2-4 games. Shrader is gonna run. He woulda played. A lot. Next 2 years ran team.
I was disappointed too, for the reasons you mentioned. That said, there's no reason to shed tears for Lampson ... a Stanford degree would be pretty sweet if he sticks it out. BOL to him. We recovered well.

I like guys who think they should start. Just need to remember everyone is on the same team. I wonder if he thinks he should start on his new team.

He talked about Dr. Bob. Said that he was really detailed. That he went through every blown assignment in great detail and that the players dreaded having to deal with him if they screwed up. He spoke very highly of both Farmer and Lynch. Said both were excellent coaches. The feel I got is that Dino has an excellent staff. According to him it's a no BS staff. The kids know where they stand and there are very little games.
Said his position is super tight and he said he was pretty certain the mob would continue. He did mention the two DBs that left as being really good guys and players that would be missed on and off the field. Said the remaining guys were solid but I could tell the team was sad these two left. One more interesting thing was his take on NIL. Obviously for it on the whole but said he doesn't like that I can break up a team and have your friends leave. He was super close with Lamson and the kid that went to Ohio state like really close so losing two good friends is tough. Very articulate young man. regardless of if he makes the NFL he will do well.

Oh, and as to Berg he said his gift was he was really coachable and smart. He said he rarely made mistakes and when he did, he never made them twice. Said that others had similar gifts but that he attention to detail separated him. Great trip very special getting the opportunity to listen to him discuss the program.

we exchanged phone numbers, and I invited him and as many kids as possible if they wanted to come over to the lake to ski or just hang out. Funny but he had no clue where Skaneateles was. Thought it was a couple of hours away up by Rochester.
I’m patiently waiting for my invite, I only live 7 minutes away

It’s one thing to think you should start, it’s another to transfer because you think you should start
It turned out okay for him though. I wonder if Stanford told him there was a spot for him before entering?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom