A lot of work to do | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

A lot of work to do

The only game I can remember that I would say we didn't deserve to win was the 2011 game vs Toledo where the refs clearly blew our missed extra point to send the game into overtime where we won. The replay, which was played repeated on national TV, was unmistakably showedo wide left.

Otherwise, turnovers are something good teams overcome. It takes teamwork, guts and will - all of which this team has in large measure. Very proud of this team regardless of what happens thecrest of the way.
Agree

Exactly, they got the ball with 70+ seconds to kick a field goal and didn't Because we had 4 terrific defensive possessions.

Last week we got the ball with 51 seconds to score/gain 50 yards, and did Because our offense outplayed their defense.

Winner winner chicken dinner. The score encapsules the whole 60 minutes
Ehh in both drives the defense gifted penalties to keep us alive. We made plays to capitalize bit we were dead to rites at critical junctures of both drives. We don’t get credit for a face mask penalty. It’s luck and I’ll take it. But it’s still blackjack.

Ehh in both drives the defense gifted penalties to keep us alive. We made plays to capitalize bit we were dead to rites at critical junctures of both drives. We don’t get credit for a face mask penalty. It’s luck and I’ll take it. But it’s still blackjack.

And last year we don't get a holding call against FSU and the fake out of bounds. That's just college football and how it's managed. Other team is supposed to be disciplined enough to win, and the Cavs weren't.

We are 4-0. We got some breaks and won a couple of games playing poorly. Did we deserve to win? That’s football. How many games over the years did we outplay the opposition and get screwed on calls, turnovers etc? A lot! It’s football. This team is gutting it out. And for the first time in 20 years (2018 sez hello) we are off to a great start. The kids are playing hard. We have injuries. Same as everyone else. It’s football. I for one am enjoying the ride this year. GO!
Peña was speared on the kick return fumble call could have gone the other way, team overcame it to win. We were the better team they had a hard time scoring on us even with the TO‘s.

The only game I can remember that I would say we didn't deserve to win was the 2011 game vs Toledo where the refs clearly blew our missed extra point to send the game into overtime where we won. The replay, which was played repeated on national TV, was unmistakably showedo wide left.

Otherwise, turnovers are something good teams overcome. It takes teamwork, guts and will - all of which this team has in large measure. Very proud of this team regardless of what happens thecrest of the way.

That was totally weird. Not sure how the refs called that good after replay review.

And last year we don't get a holding call against FSU and the fake out of bounds. That's just college football and how it's managed. Other team is supposed to be disciplined enough to win, and the Cavs weren't.
Oh believe me, I’ll take the good luck. We need every bit. But if the coaches are seeing 4-0 and thinking they can rely on luck…

All the advanced stats said we deserved to win, but the turnover luck bit us in the arse

And we still won, just looked ugly

Edit: that doesn’t mean there isn’t a lot of work to do for the harder portion of our schedule

The primary focus has to be getting the run game untracked, which is more ol and scheme.

The pass game isnt cleaning looking but it has been effective, they are 100 yds better per game than last year, 8/1 td to int vs 10/6 for all of last year.

Other ol issue is pass blocking, still. This is a new offense for everyone, but they need this time for self scouting and adjustments to what they are doing.

they have a great opportunity to get guys rested and address the areas of concern the next two weeks.

the defense has been stellar. The depth guys in the secondary made winning plays at the end on Saturday, good to see.

No inside info but knowing restaurants, I doubt the sale made the workers happy
When we were eating on a Saturday evening in Paris this summer, we noticed that the wait staff was doing shots. Upon inquiry, we learned that the restaurant had been sold, no one liked the new owner, so they were going to get drunk on his dime, then resign en masse on Sunday.

GS not going through progressions and missing wide open streaking players is self inflicted. Pena had no business returning that kick, no matter how talented of a return man he is, there was absolutely no lane, he ran directly into the blockers that got pushed back into him. Self inflicted.. You act like me saying we didn’t deserve to win means that Virginia played flawlessly and did no wrong, and just couldn’t finish. We played down to our competition and made mistakes on mistakes on mistakes to allow them back in the football game.
Strange hill to die on.

We were always going to be a home dog against NC St. They’re legit this year.
Yep, that was never going to change. And this is the best chance to get the big pelt, home, front end of the gauntlet, NCSt coming off of two big games. Everyone in the Atlantic will be going through the back to back to back to back. What SU can’t be is the layup cannon fodder. If those other teams see SU like that, then they need to take advantage. To do that the big OL needs to play like a big OL.

Pena had no business returning that kick, no matter how talented of a return man he is, there was absolutely no lane, he ran directly into the blockers that got pushed back into him. Self inflicted..

I agree with this much 100%. He had no chance to get back to the 20. Completely lost it when he stepped out. If he downs it, we win comfortably and most of this conversation isn't happening.

The inability of our QB/WR combo to beat press man to man with no safety over the top needs to be addressed at some point. It creates big problems with the run game and the whole of the offense to move the ball more consistently.

As for the record I say its about damn time we got some luck, calls and breaks to get some wins. Not many had 4-0 on their bingo card and I, as a long time fan, am extremely happy with it whether its "deserved" or not. I think I read that we haven't had a 5-0 start since 87 (haven't verified), so my belief is everyone should be pretty happy despite the flaws.

Injuries may end up being our biggest issue against the top tier teams. The drop off at a few position groups is pretty visible.

Just win baby! Go Cuse!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom