A new era for rivalries and hate | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

A new era for rivalries and hate

There are two kinds of rivalries.

The first rivalry is one of location, for example UNC and NC State or USC and UCLA. This might be a fun rivalry for people that live in that area, but there isn't any kind of meaningful competition going on, and it means nothing to anybody outside those programs.

The second rivalry is one of competition. Think Yankees and Red Sox, or Syracuse and Georgetown, these rivalries are born from on the field (or court) competition.

Syracuse is never going to have the first kind of rivalry (this is a good thing, we are going to OWN the northeast).

When you look into your crystal ball to determine who our future rivals are going to be, look no further than our biggest competition.

Conference realignment is all about one thing, the big guys taking from the little guy. As we move along you are going to see a huge gap between the major conferences and everybody else. This means our future rivals are not going to be former or current Big East teams. They are simply not going to be on our level.

I see the ACC having four perennial powerhouse teams. Duke and UNC (no reason for them to go anywhere, again realignment is about making them even stronger). Syracuse (realignment has been great to us, I know things can change fast but as of right now there is not another elite basketball program anywhere in our recruiting hot zones) and Louisville.

Neither Duke nor Carolina seem like they will be our main rival in this new made-for-TV college landscape, because they already have rivals in each other. That leaves one option, Louisville, and possibly a second in Connecticut if they ever get picked up by a major conference (but honestly that possibility dwindles with every day they are left to wither in purgatory).
This poster explained the uniqueness of the Carolina/dook rivalry exactly. We meet both criteria for geography and competition. Added to that the dynamic of public/private, non-North Carolinian student body/85% North Carolina student body, mostly conservative <Coach K is avid Republican>/most liberal part of state <Coach Smith was a passionate Democrat>, and being 2 of 8 schools with 3 or more national titles is a perfect storm of hatred. Do all Carolina fans a favor and please be mooU's <ncsu> rival. They want us to be their rival so bad and we aren't available. Yes we hate them--what is not to hate--and yes, they are the team we most want to beat in football, but we only close down Franklin street when we beat dook or win the national title. We don't celebrate cow college basketball wins we just take pleasure in not having to hear those cow farmers gloat about how the whipped our arse!! GO HEELS!!

Nah. cto is right. Words I would correctly use to describe my antipathy toward G would be detest, loathe, revile, execrate, anathema, abhor, imprecate, and of course still sucks.
Can you get close to hate,... as in really, really intensely dislike and repulsed by and still not "cross the line"

We may well develop a rivalry with one of our ACC brethren- I dont believe its something that fans alone can decide, but it will NEVER have the level of animosity and strong feelings (I wont use the "H" word for CTO) that we as fans have for georgetown.
that being said, its (fill in the time)......AND GEORGETOWN STILL SUCKS

Ok, so on the court it'll more than likely be UL.

However there is a separate war off the court gentlemen. The battleground is recruitment!

I think as of right now our main recruiting competition is beginning to be IU and Arizona.

I despise both.

Ok, so on the court it'll more than likely be UL.

However there is a separate war off the court gentlemen. The battleground is recruitment!

I think as of right now our main recruiting competition is beginning to be IU and Arizona.

I despise both.

There are always going to be kids who want to get away from home, but if Syracuse takes care of business on the court they are going to have their pick of elite recruits from NY, NJ, Philly, New England, Maryland, and DC. Right now SU is the only elite northeastern basketball school from a recruiting perspective.

There are always going to be kids who want to get away from home, but if Syracuse takes care of business on the court they are going to have their pick of elite recruits from NY, NJ, Philly, New England, Maryland, and DC. Right now SU is the only elite northeastern basketball school from a recruiting perspective.

If Uconn puts together a nice season, they could be coming up on our tails. They have 3 or 4 NBA caliber players on there team right now.

It'll be years before Uconn returns to a consistently dominant program but they are making brilliant leaps since there probation.

Providence is doing much better recruiting as well.

Not saying they're relevant competition, just saying stuff could develop there.

Not to ignore classic raging rivalries from the Big East... but we're entering a new era.

What team do you think will piss you off the most?

What teams do we compete against for region? conference? respect? recruiting?

I think region wise... I think Uconn should always be a game on our schedule. This decade there has not been an opponent I've hated nearly as much as .

Conference? Easy, UNC. Why not Duke? Duke will be a massive rival because of cameron, the coaches etc. But I think UNC will become our biggest rival in the future. We got CM and KJ coming into 2014, they have what? 3 top 20 guys coming in? They are the team that we are MOST similar too. Idk why but I feel like UNC will get much more heated than Duke. I know nearly ALL of you will disagree, but that's my opinion.

Respect? We have Indiana on there knees begging for mercy. It's time to grab them by the throat and squeeze. We have to not only knock them from the tournament, as we did, but from relevance. The fact that they are challenging us recruitment wise (Whitehead, Goodluck, Malachi, etc.) is repulsive and just insulting. It's time we show them a few more decades of irrelevance.

Recruiting? Whether it be on an aircraft carrier in Cali, or at MSG. I want Arizona. I absolutely despise them. They are god damn annoying. They are the mice at our table. They need to be stomped out. They've taken Briscoe from us, they are also offering various other players that scream SU.

If they land Briscoe and Richardson, I declare scorched earth war.

Your thoughts? I figured hate is fun to think and post about.

Goddammit I hate Uconn and IU.

Hmmm. Other than Yukon, GT (and possibly Kentucky), it's hard to really "hate" a program. At whom do you direct it ... the AD (a guy in an office), the players (too young to remember most of the grudges), the coach or his staff (I like JT3 and KO but still hate GT and Yukon), etc...

So, let's nail down some possible reasons to 'hate' Duke:

1- I feel like they stole Jabari Parker from us;
2- You can't get a ticket to Cameron Indoor Bathroom unless you're a member of Quail Hollow;
3- Dook students are almost as arrogant as GT students (even the comparison pizzes me off);
4- The coaching staff teaches "flopping" along side dribbling and passing;
5- They lost to Lehigh in the NCAA's a couple years ago (nah, better stay away from that one).

Hmmm. Other than Yukon, GT (and possibly Kentucky), it's hard to really "hate" a program. At whom do you direct it ... the AD (a guy in an office), the players (too young to remember most of the grudges), the coach or his staff (I like JT3 and KO but still hate GT and Yukon), etc...

So, let's nail down some possible reasons to 'hate' Duke:

1- I feel like they stole Jabari Parker from us;
2- You can't get a ticket to Cameron Indoor Bathroom unless you're a member of Augusta National;
3- Dook students are almost as arrogant as GT students (even the comparison pizzes me off);
4- The coaching staff teaches "flopping" along side dribbling and passing;
5- They lost to Lehigh in the NCAA's a couple years ago (nah, better stay away from that one).

By no means is this a complement to GT students, but Duke students are much more arrogant/ignorant. They are just spoiled, miserable, unintelligent rich kids.

There are two kinds of rivalries.

The first rivalry is one of location, for example UNC and NC State or USC and UCLA. This might be a fun rivalry for people that live in that area, but there isn't any kind of meaningful competition going on, and it means nothing to anybody outside those programs.

General, just wait 'til the media starts pumping up the SU-Duke/SU-UNC games. It's going to feel like 1861 all over again. ;)

I don't know of any UNC fans that hate Syracuse. In fact, every fan I've talked to has a positive impression of Syracuse.

I don't know of any UNC fans that hate Syracuse. In fact, every fan I've talked to has a positive impression of Syracuse.

Well, I know of one syracuse "fan" that wears UNC hoodies. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom