A new era for rivalries and hate | Syracusefan.com

A new era for rivalries and hate

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
Not to ignore classic raging rivalries from the Big East... but we're entering a new era.

What team do you think will piss you off the most?

What teams do we compete against for region? conference? respect? recruiting?

I think region wise... I think Uconn should always be a game on our schedule. This decade there has not been an opponent I've hated nearly as much as .

Conference? Easy, UNC. Why not Duke? Duke will be a massive rival because of cameron, the coaches etc. But I think UNC will become our biggest rival in the future. We got CM and KJ coming into 2014, they have what? 3 top 20 guys coming in? They are the team that we are MOST similar too. Idk why but I feel like UNC will get much more heated than Duke. I know nearly ALL of you will disagree, but that's my opinion.

Respect? We have Indiana on there knees begging for mercy. It's time to grab them by the throat and squeeze. We have to not only knock them from the tournament, as we did, but from relevance. The fact that they are challenging us recruitment wise (Whitehead, Goodluck, Malachi, etc.) is repulsive and just insulting. It's time we show them a few more decades of irrelevance.

Recruiting? Whether it be on an aircraft carrier in Cali, or at MSG. I want Arizona. I absolutely despise them. They are god damn annoying. They are the mice at our table. They need to be stomped out. They've taken Briscoe from us, they are also offering various other players that scream SU.

If they land Briscoe and Richardson, I declare scorched earth war.

Your thoughts? I figured hate is fun to think and post about.

Goddammit I hate Uconn and IU.

Probably have more in common w Lville than Carolina...

Ah yes, but I think this year without UL will spark something crazy between us and UNC/Duke.

I grew up hating UNC and Duke alongside G Town.

It's weird to say but UL is more new to me as a cuse fan than UNC or Duke.

I love to beat UL, I'd love to annihilate Duke and UNC.

We have only one arch-rival.
Preseason I dare not even speak the name of those vile, loathesome, despicable characters whose nets we possess.
Doing so will get me too enraged with no outlet because we shamefully have failed to retain our most important game.

Playing 'Nova and SJU is nice.
Would be good to take on UConn...the team that no conference really wants.
But I LOOOOOOOOOAAAAATHE G-TOWN.

There...I said it!
I DESPISE THEM with every fiber of my body!
That's the only team I really want us to get our hands on.

I'm sure no one seriously thinks that Duke or UNC will consider us as arch-rivals no matter how many times we trounce them.
And they will be getting it from us.

We have only one arch-rival.
Preseason I dare not even speak the name of those vile, loathesome, despicable characters whose nets we possess.
Doing so will get me too enraged with no outlet because we shamefully have failed to retain our most important game.

Playing 'Nova and SJU is nice.
Would be good to take on UConn...the team that no conference really wants.
But I LOOOOOOOOOAAAAATHE G-TOWN.

There...I said it!
I DESPISE THEM with every fiber of my body!
That's the only team I really want us to get our hands on.

I'm sure no one seriously thinks that Duke or UNC will consider us as arch-rivals no matter how many times we trounce them.
And they will be getting it from us.

I honestly think Duke and UNC will make immediate moves of hate towards us. Unc especially for recruiting and fanbase reasons. I feel like UNC will be G Town and Duke will of course be Pitt.

Though Pitt is now in the ACC as well... they are below us and should stay there. I still would like a 10 or 20 point trouncing in the zoo though.

Well I suppose Duke, UL, G Town and UNC are all obvious ones...

What about non ACC, AAC, Catholic conference hate?

I think Ville will eventually be our new world rival.
UNC and Duke will always have each other.

But there is something about Duke basketball; I really want to kick their butts to start off our ACC "friendship".
My hatred of Louisville really started to pick up this last season. I'll never forgive them for robbing us of our last ever Big East Championship. Not to mention their slime ball coach...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Well I suppose Duke, UL, G Town and UNC are all obvious ones...

What about non ACC, AAC, Catholic conference hate?
Johnnies
Nova
UConn
Gaspar Gomez :eek:
The Diaz Brothers :)
tumblr_m8ll2aGIo11rvwttvo1_500.gif

There are two kinds of rivalries.

The first rivalry is one of location, for example UNC and NC State or USC and UCLA. This might be a fun rivalry for people that live in that area, but there isn't any kind of meaningful competition going on, and it means nothing to anybody outside those programs.

The second rivalry is one of competition. Think Yankees and Red Sox, or Syracuse and Georgetown, these rivalries are born from on the field (or court) competition.

Syracuse is never going to have the first kind of rivalry (this is a good thing, we are going to OWN the northeast).

When you look into your crystal ball to determine who our future rivals are going to be, look no further than our biggest competition.

Conference realignment is all about one thing, the big guys taking from the little guy. As we move along you are going to see a huge gap between the major conferences and everybody else. This means our future rivals are not going to be former or current Big East teams. They are simply not going to be on our level.

I see the ACC having four perennial powerhouse teams. Duke and UNC (no reason for them to go anywhere, again realignment is about making them even stronger). Syracuse (realignment has been great to us, I know things can change fast but as of right now there is not another elite basketball program anywhere in our recruiting hot zones) and Louisville.

Neither Duke nor Carolina seem like they will be our main rival in this new made-for-TV college landscape, because they already have rivals in each other. That leaves one option, Louisville, and possibly a second in Connecticut if they ever get picked up by a major conference (but honestly that possibility dwindles with every day they are left to wither in purgatory).

It's all Louisville. There is no way to truly become a rival of Duke or UNC. At least not in the short term. Give it a couple decades and see what develops. Lets face it, for most of the late 1990's and 2000's Georgetown had faded away as a credible opponent and UConn came on strong. Yet many here still will not acknowledge UConn as our main rival - which they really were at the end there. They just don't have the traction that GT had. This will be the same effect between us and Duke/UNC. Before UL announced to the ACC, the idea was that Pitt would be our rival. . I despise those mofos so much and have no respect for their program. Calling them a rival cheapens our entire existance. We are highly similar to Louisville in demographics, program history, etc and we have a recent heated level of competition and some off-court stuff too (with the coaches history together). We're also both going to be trying to establish ourselves in this new conference.

It's all Louisville. There is no way to truly become a rival of Duke or UNC. At least not in the short term. Give it a couple decades and see what develops. Lets face it, for most of the late 1990's and 2000's Georgetown had faded away as a credible opponent and UConn came on strong. Yet many here still will not acknowledge UConn as our main rival - which they really were at the end there. They just don't have the traction that GT had. This will be the same effect between us and Duke/UNC. Before UL announced to the ACC, the idea was that Pitt would be our rival. . I despise those mofos so much and have no respect for their program. Calling them a rival cheapens our entire existance. We are highly similar to Louisville in demographics, program history, etc and we have a recent heated level of competition and some off-court stuff too (with the coaches history together). We're also both going to be trying to establish ourselves in this new conference.

Louisville already has a primary rival, and it ain't us.

Louisville already has a primary rival, and it ain't us.

This is true, but we will become a secondary rival to them along with Pitt, UNC and Duke.

Just like UNC and Duke will be their own primaries, and we will jump into both their folds of hate.

I still am going to easily easily easily hate on NCSt. though. Their are like WVU and VT with Rutgers attitudes. Just not cool at all some of the vitriol on their board.

I dislike the word "hate." We can have rivalries ... but why do people want to "hate." And, PS, neither Duke nor UNC will ever consider us their primary rivals. They will always have each other. I suspect we will be stuck with either Louisville (in conference) or boston College.

I dislike the word "hate." We can have rivalries ... but why do people want to "hate." And, PS, neither Duke nor UNC will ever consider us their primary rivals. They will always have each other. I suspect we will be stuck with either Louisville (in conference) or boston College.

I agree with that statement in principle Joyce. Hate should never really be considered a human emotion. It is the absence of love. It is the most counter-productive thing on the planet, and leads only to strife and discontent with the human experience and ultimately death.

That said I hate when Syracuse loses basketball games, no matter who they are playing.

We had 2 special rivals. A rivalry requires that the two teams each be each others number one rival. Our two rivalries are lost and there are no rivals that are going to be as significant as the ones lost. NC, Duke and Louisville will be big games but they will not have a life of their own like UCon and GT.

After reading their scout board a bit in the past few weeks, I have to say that NC State has skyrocketed up my list of 'hated fanbases' and I am really looking forward to playing them.

After reading their scout board a bit in the past few weeks, I have to say that NC State has skyrocketed up my list of 'hated fanbases' and I am really looking forward to playing them.
After we took over their arena two years ago, they have been bitter. Too bad they will have to stay that way. :cool:

Not to ignore classic raging rivalries from the Big East... but we're entering a new era.

What team do you think will piss you off the most?

What teams do we compete against for region? conference? respect? recruiting?

I think region wise... I think Uconn should always be a game on our schedule. This decade there has not been an opponent I've hated nearly as much as .

Conference? Easy, UNC. Why not Duke? Duke will be a massive rival because of cameron, the coaches etc. But I think UNC will become our biggest rival in the future. We got CM and KJ coming into 2014, they have what? 3 top 20 guys coming in? They are the team that we are MOST similar too. Idk why but I feel like UNC will get much more heated than Duke. I know nearly ALL of you will disagree, but that's my opinion.

Respect? We have Indiana on there knees begging for mercy. It's time to grab them by the throat and squeeze. We have to not only knock them from the tournament, as we did, but from relevance. The fact that they are challenging us recruitment wise (Whitehead, Goodluck, Malachi, etc.) is repulsive and just insulting. It's time we show them a few more decades of irrelevance.

Recruiting? Whether it be on an aircraft carrier in Cali, or at MSG. I want Arizona. I absolutely despise them. They are god damn annoying. They are the mice at our table. They need to be stomped out. They've taken Briscoe from us, they are also offering various other players that scream SU.

If they land Briscoe and Richardson, I declare scorched earth war.

Your thoughts? I figured hate is fun to think and post about.

Goddammit I hate Uconn and IU.

We're never gonna play UConn again and UNC will never accept us as their rival.

UL it's gonna be.

Boston College would have to start playing D-1 athletics again for that to happen. Gotta be L'ville.

Because people love to hate. Hate fuels. There's a difference between healthy hate, and unhealthy hate.

Hate leaves room for respect, blind arrogance and fury does not (UK fans).

We had 2 special rivals. A rivalry requires that the two teams each be each others number one rival. Our two rivalries are lost and there are no rivals that are going to be as significant as the ones lost. NC, Duke and Louisville will be big games but they will not have a life of their own like UCon and GT.
I think Louisville has a shot, as well as an improved consistent pitt team at home.

Hate should never really be considered a human emotion. It is the absence of love.

On the contrary, that definition is the reason it describes my feelings toward G'Town so perfectly. :)

On the contrary, that definition is the reason it describes my feelings toward G'Town so perfectly. :)

Nah. cto is right. Words I would correctly use to describe my antipathy toward G would be detest, loathe, revile, execrate, anathema, abhor, imprecate, and of course still sucks.

I vote Louisville, and Pitt as a runner up, because I already hate them to no end.

Other than that, I'm hoping that we can develop a special relationship with Tar Heels fans seeing as how JB owns Roy.

I'll also be curious to see how long it takes us to get our first win at Cameron. With that said, I think Duke may be a darkhorse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom