Class of 2017 - A smidge surprised we haven’t | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 A smidge surprised we haven’t

Picked up a commitment yet through spring practice and the spring game. (don’t mistake this post for being ‘worried’)
I'm with you. A lot of chatter that a few were close, but nothing transpired. Other schools who we compete with are grabbing them at a nice clip too. Dino keeps talking about belief without evidence. Perhaps, that's a harder sell these days on impressionable 17 year olds.

I have been thinking about this as I have been watching prospects commit to other schools. I wonder if this might be a late commitment cycle this year with kids wanting to see the product on the field and results first. A lot of promoting of what Babers past results have been by the program.

I'm with you. A lot of chatter that a few were close, but nothing transpired. Other schools who we compete with are grabbing them at a nice clip too. Dino keeps talking about belief without evidence. Perhaps, that's a harder sell these days on impressionable 17 year olds.

Yeah - it's much easier for us to get on board. I think the faith will come with a wee bit of evidence this fall.

It's easy to forget, but we do have two in the fold already!

It's easy to forget, but we do have two in the fold already!

I haven't forgotten but they are both commitments to the last staff. We don't know if they stay committed to this staff if other programs offer.

I haven't forgotten but they are both commitments to the last staff. We don't know if they stay committed to this staff if other programs offer.
I'm optimistic! And I know you haven't forgotten. I'm saying I do half the time!

I'm optimistic! And I know you haven't forgotten. I'm saying I do half the time!

And I'm not trying to be negative...just one of those recruiting situations with those two.

Does anyone know if Isaiah was at the Spring Game? I don't see anything in his twitter feed.

In previous years I've felt we took too many early commitments from unranked kids with 0 P5 offers.

This staff is more selective so I'm happy to remain patient. If Dino starts doing half of what we hope he can this year we'll be in great position to land some legit players late in the cycle.

But I would love to land a QB like Hill or DeVito ASAP

I don't know or what you are thinking, but it is getting a little frustrating to see lately to see these schools equal too or below SU picking up top recruits such as Maryland with three 4* recruits and Mizzou I believe 4 *, O-line Minnesota 4 * O-line, BC-3* CB. and I check out us and we get a PWO. I'm sorry but I guess with out the hype of Dino Babers recruiting, I got so built up and I see this and it just bring you down in a hurry. Yes I know its still early but I figured we would have gain a bit more ground by now. :bang:

The problem is easy to explain and difficult to rectify. Maryland is in Maryland and Syracuse is in Syracuse. (And you can insert any P5 school name into the prior sentence). Syracuse has a stigma that is difficult to overcome. Most people think it snows 6 months of the year here.

Parents get in their kids ear to either stay near home or consider the bigger, sexier school (and that goes for extended family, peers, and anyone trying to lean on a recruit).

But I also don't understand where this idea came from that Babers is a hot shot recruiter. I don't believe he ever has been. Anyone can target a 4 or 5 star recruit but landing the kid is a whole other deal.

People want to complain that Shafer "settled for who he could get." What 4 or 5 star player was he getting without results? The staff got some players that were never given a 4th star but had talent that could compete in the ACC. It's a formula that Syracuse would have done well to pattern for perpetuity.

It's just going to take time. We'll get some very good 3* players who fit in Baber's system this year. I'm not down on recruiting at all.

The ship will be pointed in the right direction on the field this year. Recruiting will follow on field production.

Be patient and enjoy the ride. (I also plan on tracking some of these 4* QB and how their careers look compared to a Baber's led team. Some 3* QB is going to outplay these guys.)

We are way very early into the recruiting season...a bit surprised to see a thread like this already...but maybe not.

Babers needed to go through spring football just to figure out the current players strengths & weaknesses and how they fit into his system...lots of kids have been moved to new positions. Now the staff can focus on filling in both the short & long term needs/gaps of the program.

It's easy to sell the program to kids when you can show them how they fit into the system, who is ahead of them and when they are expected to contribute. Have faith!

I'm not sure what anyone was expecting. You can't just say something is going to be amazing and have people buy in. These kids aren't of the same mentality of Trump voters.

I think we'll surprise this year and start getting some of these guys in the next recruiting cycle.

As is, we have two talented QB prospects moving forward in Dungey and Culpepper. Dino basically upgraded this years recruiting haul from high 2/low 3 stars to mainly all middle/high 3 stars with way better offer lists.

Not sure i agree with that reasoning. I don't think you can say that they don't have any commits because Babers is still evaluating the roster. Hill committed to a new (first time) HC at Maryland. They should be in the same boat.

But Hill committed to a new (first time) HC at Maryland.
I wouldnt really say we're on the same level as Maryland right now. Maybe after this year and people see what we're all about but being the primary UA school carries some cache. Plus they didnt have a G-Rob era recently.

Look at all the flipping and decommiting.

It's early in the cycle and for a lot of kids where they are now will not be their last stop. Even programs like FSU and BAMA are losing kids right now.

My guess is players like Spence will not sign to Maryland Andries last stop will not be Minni.

I would rather have a kid commit a little further into the summer.

Dino Babers has made Syracuse football more fun to follow. I am not expecting 4 * recruits to be committing before we win. A lot of these peer schools have more recruits in their backyards which are easier to recruit.

I don't want kids to commit just to commit. I don't mind waiting till late to recruit these unranked kids with no major offers. Our new staff has me giddy and recruiting will take care of itself.

I don't want kids to commit just to commit. I don't mind waiting till late to recruit these unranked kids with no major offers. Our new staff has me giddy and recruiting will take care of itself.
It's obvious we need to recruit at a higher level. Rankings are fallible but there is something to recruiting kids with offers from other programs both at our level and above. Looking for diamonds in the rough is what got us where we are.

Looks like Maryland will hit the jackpot with DC/MD recruits with more to follow according to reports and the Cuse needs to do the same in NY.

It's obvious we need to recruit at a higher level. Rankings are fallible but there is something to recruiting kids with offers from other programs both at our level and above. Looking for diamonds in the rough is what got us where we are.

I would say what got us where we are is way more than looking for diamonds in the rough. It's a laundry list of issues: didn't upgrade facilities when it was critical, made several bad coaching hires in a short period of time, went with unproven college level coaches, tried to continue playing old mentality of football instead of modernizing to the current high scoring offenses. It seems like we've finally addressed almost all of the items on the checklist to get us back to a solid foundation.

I would say what got us where we are is way more than looking for diamonds in the rough. It's a laundry list of issues: didn't upgrade facilities when it was critical, made several bad coaching hires in a short period of time, went with unproven college level coaches, tried to continue playing old mentality of football instead of modernizing to the current high scoring offenses. It seems like we've finally addressed almost all of the items on the checklist to get us back to a solid foundation.
Sure, i agree all those issues play a part but he said that he "didn't mind waiting till late to recruit these unranked kids with no major offers." I don't think that's the solution and recruiting unranked kids in past few years has lead to issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom