ACC Baseball? | Syracusefan.com

ACC Baseball?

Should SU start a Baseball squad?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tom Frey

Walk On
I know this is a football board but does this mean SU will have to field a baseball team?

Not if they don't fund any kind of women's team first.

ACC Baseball is AWESOME. If you want some fun, come on down to the Rusty C for a Ga Tech-Clemson series in mid-May. I've seen baseball played in domed stadia before, and while not ideal, could be done. The problem would be sharing the space with Lax during the spring.

ACC Baseball is AWESOME. If you want some fun, come on down to the Rusty C for a Ga Tech-Clemson series in mid-May. I've seen baseball played in domed stadia before, and while not ideal, could be done. The problem would be sharing the space with Lax during the spring.
Impossible to convert the Dome into a Baseball field. There's barely enough space for the football field.

it could be done.. but one fence would be 350 down the line and the other 150. now if you made the stands in play that would make it interesting..

So long as that short field is in left, I'm all for it. Our coaching staff has been recruiting right handed batters for years because the Rusty C is a bit asymmetrically short in left being fitted into a odd lot in an urban campus.

It's conceivable that a newly formed Syracuse Baseball team could share Alliance Park, home of the Syracuse Chiefs.

Syracuse used to have a men's baseball team. I think they even qualified for the college world series back in the 1960's.

I think the problem you would run into would be the weather. Our regular season runs from Feb 18 to May 21. Conference games start on March 11. You guys know the weather up there more than I do, but I can't imagine it's all that pleasant for baseball that time of year.

In fact, a lot of our early-season series are against northern teams coming south to get some games/practice out of the snow. St. John's and Rutgers have played down here for the last few years in Feb or early March.

Not a chance you could have a competitive baseball team in this weather. However, Le Moyne always seems to have a legit baseball team. :confused:

Is there a chance this actually happens? It would be great to upgrade the club team. Add this and hockey and now we are talking...I interned for the skychiefs way back when, great team and stadium, a good temp solution, but would need something closer to campus for long term

Could the seats on one of the sidelines be made retractable in the Dome? You could have 300 to one field, something shorter in the other with a high wall. There has to be some way to engineer it.

I think the problem you would run into would be the weather. Our regular season runs from Feb 18 to May 21. Conference games start on March 11. You guys know the weather up there more than I do, but I can't imagine it's all that pleasant for baseball that time of year.

In fact, a lot of our early-season series are against northern teams coming south to get some games/practice out of the snow. St. John's and Rutgers have played down here for the last few years in Feb or early March.

Our softball team plays most of its first month down south, traveling around. They are a pretty decent squad, won a game in the tourney this year but didn't advance past the first round. Would like to see us have baseball, there's room on south campus for a small stadium, which would be much better than having to drive to ABS for a game.

I'll be rootin for it, but not holding my breathe... still, every team that is being seriously thrown around for being the next school or two invited to the ACC has a baseball program. Would the TGD really let us be the only ones without a squad?

Could the seats on one of the sidelines be made retractable in the Dome? You could have 300 to one field, something shorter in the other with a high wall. There has to be some way to engineer it.
Dome is made of solid concrete. You'd have to tear down 50% of it just to make that happen. If you are going to tear down 50%, you might as well build a new one.

Cost would probably be in the $75mill range. No chance in hell you devote $75mill to a college baseball start-up team.

Why would the ACC even want an SU baseball team? I don't want to see any non-lax school start up a team they don't really want because they're forced to. I'd rather play MD, VA, NC, Duke twice a year.

Our softball team plays most of its first month down south, traveling around. They are a pretty decent squad, won a game in the tourney this year but didn't advance past the first round. Would like to see us have baseball, there's room on south campus for a small stadium, which would be much better than having to drive to ABS for a game.

Agreed, not sure if a baseball team could do the same. It is a lot of travel in the spring. The softball team is a solid team with a very good pitcher, Jenna Caira. Here is this year's schedule which is all over the southwest and southeast until April.

http://www.suathletics.com/schedule.aspx?tab=softball2&path=softball

I know this is a football board but does this mean SU will have to field a baseball team?

If the money is there, there is no reason why we can't or shouldn't. LeMoyne and other NE teams have been successful, in spite of the weather. Inside practice facilities would be a must....and that's where the Dome would come in handy.

It could be done, Oregon State won back to back NC's in 06 & 07 in comparable conditions. Think about the home field advantage of playing Miami or FSU at A-Bank stadium in early march when it is 20 with a few snowflakes flying!

I think that recruiting and budget are the bigger challenges. There is not exactly alot of ACC type baseball talent coming out of upstate NY high schools at the moment but it could be done (few upstate kids, some Canadians, bring up some infielders from down south). It also sounds like it would be quite expensive for the athletic dept., 56 game schedule going on a few spring trips & to the Carolina's, FL, etc. for conference games. That said, I would love it if Cuse was to field a baseball team again.

SU's baseball team is its lacrosse team.

Not every major (BCS) school has a baseball team. For example, Wisconsin doesn't.

Dome is made of solid concrete. You'd have to tear down 50% of it just to make that happen. If you are going to tear down 50%, you might as well build a new one.

Cost would probably be in the $75mill range. No chance in hell you devote $75mill to a college baseball start-up team.

Understand that, I'm only talking lower deck seats on part of one sideline. A la the Marlins current stadium. It doesn't have to play as far down the line as the Marlins.

dolph09960.jpg

They could just play at J-D. College bball doesn't draw particularly well anyway, except for tournaments. Mostly families and gfs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom