ACC/BE Championship Clash? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC/BE Championship Clash?

This is the biggest nothing news in the world. To me the only news is how its the end of the Sugar and Fiesta Bowl maybe depending on how the playoff is set up! ACC champ goes to the Orange Bowl to play the #2 Big 10 team or #2 SEC team. If the Orange Bowl is part of the NEW playoff, then a new Bowl (ie like the Cotton did) will pop up and do the same. Take the ACC champ vs another major conference #2 team.. Which in some years will be the #3 or #4 teams from that conference but so what! Who cares. It's all about the playoff anyway.

These Bowl deals are now "insurance" for the years when a conference doesn't send a team to the NEW playoff so that its conference champ has a place to go play. It's not big a deal. The ACC doesn't need to panic over this non-news.

Why does the ACC need to pair up? ACC champ goes to the Orange Bowl to play an AT LARGE team. Could be the 2nd or 3rd team from the Big10, Big12, or SEC. Who cares

These Bowls are "insurance" for the years when a conference doesn't send a team to the NEW playoff. It's not big a deal. The ACC doesn't need to "pair up" with anyone!

That's what I'm thinking, but figured with all of the sky is falling stuff, I must be mising something. If the Orange Bowl locks in the ACC - do they necessarily need to lock in a #2 from a specific conference?

I'm not as sure as to what this may do to Notre Dame's thought process. On its face it would seem to be at least a factor in favor of joining a conference in order to increase their chances of making it to a major bowl, since when is the last time they finished Top 4?

Very big discussion today from all the college football experts on twitter about the haves and have nots. ACC has clearly been put on the have nots list. Which I think is completely crazy. Just shows how much everyone lives in the now and ignores the cycles. Two of the current ACC teams had an annual game in the 90s that the entire college football world stopped to watch. And they still reside in one of the Top 3 football talent rich states in the country.

Yeah I fail to see how the P12 and ACC are any different on the field going forward. Both have a few good schools at the top followed by a ton of mediocre teams. It wasn't too long ago that the ACC's top teams were up and the P12's were down.

Matt Hayes is one of my least favorite sports writers. The Sporting News is awful. They are the poster child for how to tank your business via poor web strategy and web design.
Was he the doofus who left HCDM off the ranking of BE coaches and then added him as last?

That's what I'm thinking, but figured with all of the sky is falling stuff, I must be mising something. If the Orange Bowl locks in the ACC - do they necessarily need to lock in a #2 from a specific conference?

I'm not as sure as to what this may do to Notre Dame's thought process. On its face it would seem to be at least a factor in favor of joining a conference in order to increase their chances of making it to a major bowl, since when is the last time they finished Top 4?
ACC vs At Large/Notre Dame in the Orange Bowl

If the Orange Bowl locks in the ACC - do they necessarily need to lock in a #2 from a specific conference?

You would need a commitment from one conference every year.

Can't leave the other conferences hanging and scrambling to place their #2 or #3 teams at the last minute if the Orange Bowl doesn't pick them.

The only way to make it work would be for the Orange and Fiesta Bowls to team up. ACC Champ plus a team from the BigXII / SEC / B1G would form a pool of 4 teams to fill 2 bowls.

ACC Champ is guaranteed the Orange Bowl. One year the Orange gets first pick, next year the Fiesta chooses.

You would need a commitment from one conference every year.

Can't leave the other conferences hanging and scrambling to place their #2 or #3 teams at the last minute if the Orange Bowl doesn't pick them.

The only way to make it work would be for the Orange and Fiesta Bowls to team up. ACC Champ plus a team from the BigXII / SEC / B1G would form a pool of 4 teams to fill 2 bowls.
And if the Orange Bowl is part of the playoff. Then you will see a bowl like the GATOR Bowl or PEACH Bowl jump up, take the ACC champ. They will jump up like the Cotton Bowl just did. And they will pair us with a 2nd or 3rd place team in the SEC or Big 10 or wherever. And that bowl (whichever it ends up being) just got a bit large in the big-picture.

This is really non-news.

Was he the doofus who left HCDM off the ranking of BE coaches and then added him as last?

He's the guy that wrote the piece last year on the Top 50 tailgate guides and didn't include yours.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Where do you predict Syracuse will finish this year in the "god aweful, pathetic d3 conf that is the new, new ,new, new, new, bigeast"?

Clearly you should go undefeated...

Ahead of Rutgers IMHO, but that wasn't the point of the post. Syracuse isn't close to a finished product yet but will be better than last year. RU's defense carried them last year but you lose key pieces. Will your offense step up? Will the new defensive players carry their weight? You'll never admit it but Rutgers is more likely to have a season like SU did last year than SU is to have a repeat performance of last year.

Looks like they were saying New BE > WAC which isn't really a stretch. Boise will at least have to come to play every week in the BE vs once or maybe twice a year in the WAC.

Good grief, Tipphill.

"essentially shutting out the entire north and south eastern seaboards from college football" ???

I think the SEC and Big 10 games do very well in the Northeast and Southeast market.

If SU isn't on, I watch the SEC games.

If the Big East went away tomorrow, college football viewership in the Northeast wouldn't drop 5%.
i have included the acc in this

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom