ACC Brand - Refs - Protecting the Brand | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Brand - Refs - Protecting the Brand

The team watched the Journey hype video before kickoff and then the Eminem one at halftime. Clearly.

I got 900 views. Not bad.

There is too much money (conference/TV), pride and gambling for football to ever be totally on the up and up. You can call or not call a penalty, as we have obviously seen, on practically every down.

I look at football almost like live action theater. They change the endings so it doesn't get stall. Getting upset with refs with bad calls or non calls is to me like getting upset the leaves are falling off the trees in the fall, it's always going to happen.

Last edited:
If SU had won last week I could just about guarantee that they would have a let down this week and lose to Notre Dame or without a doubt lose one the tough games coming up. The chances of going 13-0 and making the playoffs would be negligible so I'm good with the ACC putting their chips on Clemson, if they do such things. And I would much rather they a lose a close game at Clemson and get a win against Notre Dame in the JMA than the other way around.
It makes a ton of sense that you're rooting for us to lose. For the good of the conference!

If SU had won last week I could just about guarantee that they would have a let down this week and lose to Notre Dame or without a doubt lose one the tough games coming up. The chances of going 13-0 and making the playoffs would be negligible so I'm good with the ACC putting their chips on Clemson, if they do such things. And I would much rather they a lose a close game at Clemson and get a win against Notre Dame in the JMA than the other way around.
Welcome back! Were you so stunned by the beat down we gave your UConn Huskies that you had to take a break from the board?

It makes a ton of sense that you're rooting for us to lose. For the good of the conference!
But if it were UMass...
Welcome back! Were you so stunned by the beat down we gave your UConn Huskies that you had to take a break from the board?
Not rooting for SU to lose, just being realistic about the business of major college football. Syracuse needs to be more than just a flash of glory every few years for them to be taken seriously by the conference and the college football world. UMASS not doing so great, UCONN doing some good, maybe beat BCU and punch Hafley's ticket for the coaching carousel this Saturday.

Not rooting for SU to lose, just being realistic about the business of major college football. Syracuse needs to be more than just a flash of glory every few years for them to be taken seriously by the conference and the college football world. UMASS not doing so great, UCONN doing some good, maybe beat BCU and punch Hafley's ticket for the coaching carousel this Saturday.
Why would you want Hafley to get fired?

Never.

Seriously, EVERY fan base thinks that (a) refs are biased against them, and (b) the announcing crew favors their opponent.
Totally get this, true almost all the time.
But it is not THAT bad calls are made against SU, it is when and where.

1998: Last drive of the game, beating Tenn, the eventual NC, and we get a 'uniform issue' call I have never heard called again.

2018: We just put the stake in Clemson, at Clemson, and we get a downfield lineman call.

2022: Beating Clemson, at Clemson, they are looking at a punt, again. We get the 2 QB oob's plays.

Totally get this, true almost all the time.
But it is not THAT bad calls are made against SU, it is when and where.

1998: Last drive of the game, beating Tenn, the eventual NC, and we get a 'uniform issue' call I have never heard called again.

2018: We just put the stake in Clemson, at Clemson, and we get a downfield lineman call.

2022: Beating Clemson, at Clemson, they are looking at a punt, again. We get the 2 QB oob's plays
I mean 2018 was the correct call, there was no reason why we should've had an ineligible downfield there.

Why would you want Hafley to get fired?
It's probably better for Syracuse if stays there, that's true. I have to admit, it chaffed me up a bit when they canned Addazio to go with Hafley, got a spot in my heart for guys like Steve.

I have come to the conclusion that the ACC Refs are protecting Clemson so they can qualify for the playoffs. Clemson brings a lot to the conference and the conference wants Clemson in the playoffs. I had to turn off the game on Saturday after the non call on Shader on the out of bounds Play. There was no way the refs were going to allow SU to win and I wasn't going to watch it. This call came after a movement call on SU where the only motion was the Center moving his head to look between his legs so he could hike the ball. One of the worst calls I have ever seen. I am a retired auditor and in my business we called it "Cooking the Books".
Would have liked to see Coach get mad and tell the refs off

He is slow to react
I would say he’s disengaged on gameday. He’s deer in headlights look speaks for itself. Name another coach who wouldn’t have lost it after those calls. A cool customer In football is a loser. Nick, Kirby, Dabo etc. get fired up to fire up their players. A passive head coach is a losing head coach.

I would say he’s disengaged on gameday. He’s deer in headlights look speaks for itself. Name another coach who wouldn’t have lost it after those calls. A cool customer In football is a loser. Nick, Kirby, Dabo etc. get fired up to fire up their players. A passive head coach is a losing head coach.
Yeah, we need somebody that gets fired up like Greg Robinson or Scott Shaefer!

I mean 2018 was the correct call, there was no reason why we should've had an ineligible downfield there.
Lineman have 3 yards that they can be downfield on a passing play, our guy who was penalized was 2 yards, another example of a biased homer call that some refuse to recognize. This is why Babers to this day is still apoplectic about it as they mentioned in the broadcast

Ok……….

A TD went our way on an obvious illegal shift where the ref pulled his flag OUT OF HIS POCKET, then put it back in. Can you IMAGINE if that happened in this game vs Clemson?

So I had time to watch what you posted here, and this is a very poor example if you are trying to attempt to say we got one over on NC State here with a bad call, like occurred down at Clemson.

There is no illegal shift, no illegal motion, no two players going at once, number 19 who i assume you are referring to, he got a fantastic jump at the exact time of the snap of the ball, which is why the referee did not throw the flag. Bad example.

So I had time to watch what you posted here, and this is a very poor example if you are trying to attempt to say we got one over on NC State here with a bad call, like occurred down at Clemson.

There is no illegal shift, no illegal motion, no two players going at once, number 19 who i assume you are referring to, he got a fantastic jump at the exact time of the snap of the ball, which is why the referee did not throw the flag. Bad example.
I thought the color guy was wrong about that as well.

That is such a dumb response I thought of just ignoring it. You know better than that. First, I never once said that the bias is extensive. Straw man. And any team that has ever won, has thought they won fair and square. No one gives a second thought about the calls that went their way. Even when they weren't the right calls. But you know that. Otherwise, you would making the ridiculous argument that there are no bad calls. You are veering off from a reasonable discussion. Very close to being put on ignore. Just for the record, cheating plots are in almost every aspect of our lives. We have seen poker and chess cheating plots. And I was clear that I don't think the refs cheated per se. But we didn't get the same call that Clemson did with the ref right there. That isn't incompetence. That was the ref not throwing the flag because he didn't want to.

Don’t forget fishing to

lol

Clemson is the only playoff level brand in the ACC right now, they carry the ACC. I think maybe Wake is close, Clausen being the top coach in the league puts them at that level. If they transition from Hartman to another strong QB, they will take the step up.

I thought the color guy was wrong about that as well.
Yep when folks post these type Things I really try and take a deep dive to look into it. in addition I found online channel nines videos of the game from right there on the sideline/end zone, of that play and others, and it showed obviously the same thing the ref ate the flag because there should’ve been a no call on it just as he did, though close gedsens jump was perfectly timed with the snap of the ball.

Between that commentary and his commentary of Tucker on the winning touchdown saying he should’ve taken a knee, that analyst is an idiot.

Have a hard time understanding these self defeating posts where people try and bend over backwards to defend the indefensible, rationalize things against their own self or rooting interest, makes no sense to me (and don’t even get me going on this concept in politics - lol!). If they were accurate that would be one thing, but they are not.

Anyway yeah back to football just like the supposed downfield lineman horrible bs biased call at Clemson in 2018 that the other dude brings out above, there it is right online again showing our lineman down about 2 yards downfield when you’re allowed to go 3 yards! Just don’t get it

Last edited:
Clemson is the only playoff level brand in the ACC right now, they carry the ACC. I think maybe Wake is close, Clausen being the top coach in the league puts them at that level. If they transition from Hartman to another strong QB, they will take the step up.
If when the team that’s a part of your online handle goes 11-1 or 10-2 you might have to backtrack on this a bit.