ACC coaches propose that every single team in Division 1 make the 2021 NCAA Tournament. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

ACC coaches propose that every single team in Division 1 make the 2021 NCAA Tournament.

So coach ratface wants to start the season in January and doesn't want to play non-league games. That's what it boils down to. It makes zero sense.

It would be like pouring yourself a glass of beer, then pouring yourself 350 more glasses of beer.

I agree with that metaphor. A 350 team tourney would be like dying of alcohol poisoning.

If it was a short season, and didn't have to worry about a pandemic, then sure I would be fine with this.

If anything they should be looking at options to contract the field (potentially in half), in case bubble management is required. It might not be fair, but 2020/2021 is not fair.

Ratface strategy: guarantee a bid and if that fails, dust off the back brace.

Also makes Conference Tournaments even more inconsequential than they already are.
Conference tournaments are only inconsequential for the teams that "already know" they're going to the tournament. They're only playing for seed. For the teams in a one-bid league or at the bottom of a major conference it's the difference between playing in the NCAA tournament or watching it all on TV. The regular season winner of a one-bid conference knows they're going to a tournament, I'm sure they would prefer it to be the NCAAs and not the NIT. What about the 2nd place team? If they don't win, they're going home.

Don't get me wrong. I think all the former D-2 and D-3 teams that are in D-1 now should go back from whence they came.

I’m not sure about every team making it but I’d be ok with an expanded 128 team tournament for one season only. Make it grand slam tennis style. Seed the top 32 teams and randomly insert the rest. The 1 seed can end up playing the 33rd or 128th best team in round 1. Creates more drama and gives the teams outside the top 32 a slightly better chance.

Also makes Conference Tournaments even more inconsequential than they already are.
Mid/low major conference tournaments are some of my favorite sports to watch. That's college basketball in its purist form and taking that away for a 340 team tourney would be foolish. Especially in the name of "celebrating $$$$ college $$$$ basketball"

Last edited:
I'm sure every coach loves the idea of getting into the NCAAT regardless of how bad their record is. Can't get fired for not making the tourney. What a joke. Give everyone a participation trophy too.

This is dumb and I don’t agree with it. Makes a regular season where players are theoretically risking their health almost inconsequential and meaningless.

Agree, the current structure of NCAA hoops makes the regular season a borderline scrimmage with each team having 3+ months to figure out lineups, find their chemistry, and maybe sacrifice 8-14 loses to make the big dance. That is unless you are a 1AA looking for an at large. THIS format would render this already watered down regular season useless to the fan. Sure, coaches look at the games to get better and evaluate where they are but an all in situation might make sense if they played 10-15 games in prep but we all know this will not happen bc of $$$$.

Shorter Dan Gavitt to Coach K and the ACC “Shut up and go get your shine box”

Things didn't work out so well to the last guy that told someone that.

If people imagine this would make the regular season "inconsequential", then, logically, the NCAA should return to the days when only conference champions and independents received bids. And, as has been noted elsewhere on this thread, much of the season in the current format, WRT P6 teams, is merely jockeying for seeding. The NCAA is a single elimination tournament. Including everyone does not make the regular season inconsequential as the issue of seeding remains a significant one. It does add two plus rounds to the event (one weekend plus the play-in games) which would only serve to make March Madness more mad, IMO. Also, as someone who rarely missed a Virginia home game back in the 70s when bids were more scarce (and unlikely), I can say each and every one was significant to me. I like the idea.

This is a great idea and covers them if certain schools have to cancel games. Its gonna be hard for everyone to get on the same page. Some teams might play 30 games while others play 10.

Id imaging the schools who would get at larges have a couple byes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom