ACC Hate Continues | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Hate Continues

Went to SC for a wedding. My brother needed sandals or something for the beach. We went to the mall, he found what he needed. Put them up on the counter and they were already boxed up. The guy behind the counter starts to open it, my brother asked what he was doing, he says checking the sizes to make sure they matchup. My brother tells the guy he's already checked them and it's all good. The cashier continues said search of sizes.
By this time we've waited in a very long line and taken up plenty of time. My brother looks visibly frustrated as he should. Pays for them and when the cashier sees my brothers ID (NY),to go with his card, the cashier says, "You Yankees all think you're so smart". My brother says why because we have a brain?
That's not the only unsolicited incident. Had to tell another guy the war was over. It's real, whoever says otherwise is putting blinders on. And I guess I have to state the obvious, no I don't think every person down there is like that.

Went to SC for a wedding. My brother needed sandals or something for the beach. We went to the mall, he found what he needed. Put them up on the counter and they were already boxed up. The guy behind the counter starts to open it, my brother asked what he was doing, he says checking the sizes to make sure they matchup. My brother tells the guy he's already checked them and it's all good. The cashier continues said search of sizes.
By this time we've waited in a very long line and taken up plenty of time. My brother looks visibly frustrated as he should. Pays for them and when the cashier sees my brothers ID (NY),to go with his card, the cashier says, "You Yankees all think you're so smart". My brother says why because we have a brain?
That's not the only unsolicited incident. Had to tell another guy the war was over. It's real, whoever says otherwise is putting blinders on. And I guess I have to state the obvious, no I don't think every person down there is like that.

I am sure nobody in NY ever gets pissed about a customer telling them how to do their job.

I am sure nobody in NY ever gets pissed about a customer telling them how to do their job.
It's called common freakin sense. Doing the job is in case someone didn't check. Upon hearing that someone checked such a menial thing, you'd figure you wouldn't waste anymore time than was already wasted, it's the customer's item and they're all good with it. wow

It's called common freakin sense. Doing the job is in case someone didn't check. Upon hearing that someone checked such a menial thing, you'd figure you wouldn't waste anymore time than was already wasted, it's the customer's item and they're all good with it. wow

Or perhaps they have been instructed by their manager to do the menial task regardless of what the customer claims to have done. The idea that this is wasting time is hilarious. It literally takes 30 second to open a box and check the size on a shoe.

You yankees are always in such a hurry! :)

The wife and I have a condo just north of Pawley's in Litchfield. The area has boomed too much for my liking but we still love the area. We are headed down for Easter with the family. Love the SC coast in the spring.

We love Litchfield...love the Eggs Up Grill and Applewood Pancake House. We hang out there quite a bit and frequent some of the restaurants in Murrells Inlet. With Easter being a bit later this year, hopefully the weather will be nice. :) The past couple of years it has been on the cool side...it has been one of the coldest winters in Charlotte in my twenty plus years here...

Well that would tell me no common sense was used. It was a freakin long line and people waiting a long time. He had individually taken out each shoe and looked for the sizes and then repackaged it. It was ridiculous. I guess you would've used the same logic then. nice

The local AM sports talk radio in Charlotte is hating on us again. What's funny is that not one Syracuse fan has called in.

They acknowledge how bad it will look to the ACC if Syracuse comes in and wins out in our first season.

They are trying to unite the local UNC, Duke, NCST, and Wake fan base to actively root against us whenever we play a NC based team.

The early NCAA tourney exits are being highlighted.

They loathe that Seth Greenberg called SU- Duke a greater rivalry than UNC-Duke this year.

It's downright funny how much they dislike us.

This was my dream scenario, and it is playing out beautifully. Those people down there think the entire college hoops world revolves around their little "triangle". They are completely bewildered at what is going on, and I'm sure many are more than a little angered that some "yankees" are whooping up on "their" league. Can't wait until they are shocked and angered by the SU fanbase at the ACC Tourney. Should be fun!

Eventually, they'll just have to accept that there's a new sheriff in town.

Well that would tell me no common sense was used. It was a freakin long line and people waiting a long time. He had individually taken out each shoe and looked for the sizes and then repackaged it. It was ridiculous. I guess you would've used the same logic then. nice

My logic tells me people do things the simplest way they can and if this guy was going out of his way to do it it wasn't because he wanted to. It was because his boss told him he wanted customers rung up a certain way so while I may have been perturbed I would not have gotten upset with the guy making minimum wage at shoe store for doing his job.

Its one freaking year grow the acc. everyone wants everyone to lose but their own team thats the way it is. You could be 11-11 and still believe you will win the championship thats what college ball is about.

My logic tells me people do things the simplest way they can and if this guy was going out of his way to do it it wasn't because he wanted to. It was because his boss told him he wanted customers rung up a certain way so while I may have been perturbed I would not have gotten upset with the guy making minimum wage at shoe store for doing his job.
Obviously this has missed you. And besides all that, why the "You Yankees" bs?? Which was in fact the point. Yeah, I'm sure you have great logic for that too..

We love Litchfield...love the Eggs Up Grill and Applewood Pancake House. We hang out there quite a bit and frequent some of the restaurants in Murrells Inlet. With Easter being a bit later this year, hopefully the weather will be nice. :) The past couple of years it has been on the cool side...it has been one of the coldest winters in Charlotte in my twenty plus years here...

Love me some Eggs Up Grill.

Not trying to start a big controversy here, but do you think there is some southern, rebel "damned Yankees" mentality at play here? I lived outside of Charlotte about 5 years ago, and that attitude was still very much palpable. Frequently it was not very subtle either.

Yes. Maybe not so much in Charlotte because so much of that city is transplants(many from NY). But where the ACC schools in NC are? Definitely. Many still bitterly bring up the civil war in regular conversation. Different world down there.

Obviously this has missed you. And besides all that, why the "You Yankees" bs?? Which was in fact the point. Yeah, I'm sure you have great logic for that too..

No great logic. They use the term the way you or I might call everyone in the south generically a redneck. You should not take it personally.

Yes. Maybe not so much in Charlotte because so much of that city is transplants(many from NY). But where the ACC schools in NC are? Definitely. Many still bitterly bring up the civil war in regular conversation. Different world down there.

Cities like Charlotte, Raleigh and Atlanta are very much the 'new' south were in some cases the transplants out number the locals. The only place I have ever really experienced the southern attitude being expressed by some here were in the old south cities of Richmond and Charleston. In Richmond especially it was clear who was a local and who was not. They also took their civil war stuff extremely serious there for obvious reasons. I still loved living there though. The summers were rough with the heat but I really loved downtown Richmond.

No great logic. They use the term the way you or I might call everyone in the south generically a redneck. You should not take it personally.
If I was a cashier in NY and after seeing a guy pull out an Alabama ID, and said, "You rednecks blah blah blah", you don't think there would be a problem? Give me a break. You are obviously clueless on this.

If I was a cashier in NY and after seeing a guy pull out an Alabama ID, and said, "You rednecks blah blah blah", you don't think there would be a problem? Give me a break. You are obviously clueless on this.

Yes I am obviously clueless. :crazy:

I am only a native NY'er who has lived down south for the better part of 25 years and have not had any interactions with locals or northerners visiting. Nor do I understand that people from upstate NY are not happy unless they have something to bitch about and that sometimes people take that the wrong way.

First I had Confederates in the Attic and now I have them in my sports forum...

i like being the villain. you know you are doing something right if everybody hates you

My logic tells me people do things the simplest way they can and if this guy was going out of his way to do it it wasn't because he wanted to. It was because his boss told him he wanted customers rung up a certain way so while I may have been perturbed I would not have gotten upset with the guy making minimum wage at shoe store for doing his job.[/quote

Actually, minimum wage notwithstanding, shoe store clerks are in fact told to check to insure the sizes match. Reason is that some people actually have different size feet and try to sneak two separate sizes out of the store. That leaves the store with a mismatched set they cannot sell. While this sucks for these people, shoes are designed to be sold as a matching pair.

Yes I am obviously clueless. :crazy:

I am only a native NY'er who has lived down south for the better part of 25 years and have not had any interactions with locals or northerners visiting. Nor do I understand that people from upstate NY are not happy unless they have something to bitch about and that sometimes people take that the wrong way.
I'm not going to agree and say there's no southern biased towards people from the northeast when I get "You Yankees think you're so smart", and I should think it's the same as using "redneck" and that's cool too. That's flat out dumb. And if it were the case for somebody to check shoe sizes he could've easily said as much with all the time it took him. But that wasn't his objective. It was to insult. And nobody said a word other than "I checked the size already", before he said that.

I think you should speak for yourself (see my other post in this thread). Besides living in Charlotte over two decades, we own beach property in Pawley's Island, SC as well and have had no such encounters you speak of. By your own admission, you haven't lived in the South, so it's a bit interesting that you would draw a somewhat obtuse conclusion. All of us certainly have different life experiences, based upon the circles we travel in. Therefore, Harrison's judgment isn't anymore off than your own.

I'm heading to Pawley's Island for a wedding in July. Looking forward to golfing as much as I can!

I'm not going to agree and say there's no southern biased towards people from the northeast when I get "You Yankees think you're so smart", and I should think it's the same as using "redneck" and that's cool too. That's flat out dumb. And if it were the case for somebody to check shoe sizes he could've easily said as much with all the time it took him. But that wasn't his objective. It was to insult. And nobody said a word other than "I checked the size already", before he said that.

I think the southern bias has about as much credence as the idea that all new yorkers are rude and unfriendly. Both are sweeping generalizations.

If you want to judge the entire south by some guy working a shoe store in a tourist trap like MB then more power to you.

I think the southern bias has about as much credence as the idea that all new yorkers are rude and unfriendly. Both are sweeping generalizations.

If you want to judge the entire south by some guy working a shoe store in a tourist trap like MB then more power to you.
First of all someone at like the 3rd post in this thread, asked if there was a rebel "damned yankees" thing in the south. Yes there is and I've experienced it. I simply gave 1 example, and stated it wasn't the only example I could give. I also had a sentence of "I guess I have to state the obvious and say no I don't think everyone is like that". So, way to go in the reading comprehension department.

First of all someone at like the 3rd post in this thread, asked if there was a rebel "damned yankees" thing in the south. Yes there is and I've experienced it. I simply gave 1 example, and stated it wasn't the only example I could give. I also had a sentence of "I guess I have to state the obvious and say no I don't think everyone is like that". So, way to go in the reading comprehension department.

I can read just fine; I just don't buy your reasoning but then again I clearly don't have your powers of 'common sense'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom