ACC looking to add UConn as 16th member | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

ACC looking to add UConn as 16th member

While BCU couldn't block a Storrs invite, I fully expected them to suggest Pitt as an alternative if Storrs was the initial target. Similarly if Pitt and Yukon were seen as equal, I would've expected BCU to promote Pitt's football(-related) benefits as a means to thwart (or delay) a Storrs invitation.

Oh for sure, BC could do that. But the notion that BC actually prevented UConn from joining the ACC is utter fantasy.

Those bloody politicians...

It also could've made sense for Bevo to rush WVU, as they did, and announce the additions Louisville & Cincy as part of a normal exodus from the BE. The latter would've occurred at the same time as the SU & Pitt departures.

In the latter scenario, the BE would've been down to Yukon, USF, Rutgers and Temple. Following the Rutgers departure it would've made sense for USF to head to C-USA; Temple back to the MAC; and Yukon to stick with the BE, placing their football program in the MAC, C-USA or Sun Belt. Bevo would've finished the ACC's task of killing off BE football.

Perhaps, but the B12 had/has no appetite to return to 12 teams, so adding just one more to accompany a natural fit in TCU and get back to 10 was their plan. Shows how shortsighted yhr specifics of conference realignment really were. WVU was having football success right then, so they got the nod. But Louisville's football foundation and potential was just a bright (if not brighter), plus they brought elite hoops and a FAR better geographic fit.

BC didn't have the power to blackball UConn if UConn was the clear cut top pick in the minds of the other 11 members of the 4+4+4 expansion committee the ACC had. However, I am sure DeFlippio and Shalala 2 members of that committee let their colleagues know about the negative feelings they had for UConn.

However, BC didn't or will never the juice to block UConn if it was in the best interest of the ACC. The ACC vetted Syracuse, UConn, Pittsburgh, West Virginia in 2010 and picked Syracuse and then maybe UConn/Pitt were very close and the negative feelings of BC and Miami led the other ACC officials to say UConn isn't worth putting a fight up about when Pitt is just as good.

That is how I think it went down. Maybe UConn was slightly ahead of Pitt as the 2nd ACC selection, but the ACC decided that UConn would tick off multiple members because of their past conduct and by taking Pitt it blocked the Big XII from swooping in and getting Pitt and WVU in the East and setting them up to eventually get Cincinnati and Louisville for a new Big XII. People forget before the Big XII went after WVU they had some talks with Pitt and so the ACC may thought Syracuse/Pitt would dagger the Big XII's movement in the East as UConn would be too far away for them to consider.

Don't put too much stock in the "negative feelings" angle. There were very few people left in positions that mattered at any ACC institution, and at UConn, that were around for the 2003/04 lawsuit. And any resentment that might have lingered would be swamped by money. These are not principled people. If UConn made the most sense they'd be in the conference.

Don't put too much stock in the "negative feelings" angle. There were very few people left in positions that mattered at any ACC institution, and at UConn, that were around for the 2003/04 lawsuit. And any resentment that might have lingered would be swamped by money. These are not principled people. If UConn made the most sense they'd be in the conference.
If you have 2 candidates for a job and you do a vet of each candidate and grade one of them an 8.5 and the other an 8.4. However, one of your partners has a dislike of the 8.5 candidate because of something in their past. You are decider and the 8.5 vs 8.4 candidates honestly have no personal preference because you like each of them the same, but picking the 8.4 guy will make your partner happier because of past baggage. Which do you pick? I would pick the 8.4 person assuming their is no real difference in the two and I can keep my partner happy.

In this case UConn may have been slightly ahead of Pitt in the ACC's mind expansion committee's mind, but BC/Miami would really appreciate Pitt because of past feelings.

In this case UConn may have been slightly ahead of Pitt in the ACC's mind expansion committee's mind, but BC/Miami would really appreciate Pitt because of past feelings.

If the price we have to pay to be in the B1G is a few years of uncertainty, I am happy to pay it.

BTW - the AAC looks better going forward. SMU has title hopes next year, Sampson will make Houston much better, Cincy/Temple/Memphis will be tournament calibre. And UCONN will be UCONN.

I can see as many as 5/6 NCAA teams.

(we still have a chance to win the NCAA & NIT in both men's and women's BB - and the AAC has 3 first team All Americans)

If the price we have to pay to be in the B1G is a few years of uncertainty, I am happy to pay it.

BTW - the AAC looks better going forward. SMU has title hopes next year, Sampson will make Houston much better, Cincy/Temple/Memphis will be tournament calibre. And UCONN will be UCONN.

(we still have a chance to win the NCAA & NIT in both men's and women's BB - and the AAC has 3 first team All Americans)

The challenge for UConn isn't on court or on field, necessarily. The challenges are that (a) your media revenue in the AAC is so terribly behind the power 5 conferences that it makes competing in the facilities arms race much more difficult, (b) your recruiting may be impacted because of playing in what could be considered a lesser conference, (c) attendance may suffer because the attractiveness of your opponents is diminished. All of those may manifest themselves on court/field at some point, of course.

As for getting into the B1G... I wouldn't hold your breath. Sorry.

I believe that outside of message board hate, most Syracuse fans want UConn in the ACC. It just makes sense. What I really don't get is why UConn fans want the B1G more than the ACC. It doesn't add up for their program. ACC is a good mixture of big budget football and smaller colleges who have a chance to compete.

I don't. Let them fall off to becoming UMass.

I wouldn't trade a spot in the Final Four this year to being in their situation. In the long run, they're screwed. And they know it.

The challenge for UConn isn't on court or on field, necessarily. The challenges are that (a) your media revenue in the AAC is so terribly behind the power 5 conferences that it makes competing in the facilities arms race much more difficult, (b) your recruiting may be impacted because of playing in what could be considered a lesser conference, (c) attendance may suffer because the attractiveness of your opponents is diminished. All of those may manifest themselves on court/field at some point, of course.

My understanding from the Michigan side of things is that UConn was never even under consideration during B1G expansion.

I wouldn't trade a spot in the Final Four this year to being in their situation. In the long run, they're screwed. And they know it.

If Ollie stays and he can coach at a high level, I like our situation in BB. A lot.

When is the B1G going to want to expand? Their TV contracts come up in 2016 season. They are going to negotiate next year. If UConn were a target of the B1G who would be the 16th team I would like to know? The GORs of ACC, Big XII would take them out, the SEC network would be up and running and while the cost of leaving that conference is zero the buyout of the SEC network would cost whatever SEC team wanted to leave would cost tons of money to buy back their 3rd tier rights to give to the B1G/BTN.

UConn basketball is fine, but UConn football is not anyway you slice it. No more BCS affiliation, you aren't the top FB brand in your new conference, and the best season in D-1 UConn football history was a 9-4 record. The year you went to the BCS you were 8-5. 9-4/8-5 isn't getting you into a bowl game against a power 4 league team anymore. UConn football's margin for error is now 10-2.

UConn FB is where you need to improve if your going to move on up and I don't see the B1G making any moves until the ACC or Big XII GOR were to expire in the distance future like 10 years down the line.

This is the issue - money, not CR.

BC has taken multiple steps back in BB and FB since winning "CR"

Winning on the field and on the court comes down to coaching.

If Ollie can coach, UCONN will win. Win big.

If Diaco can coach, UCONN can win big as well. But without a P5 check, we can't keep him if he wins big.

I wouldn't trade a spot in the Final Four this year to being in their ituation. In the long run, they're screwed. And they know it.
We can bust their chops because their FB team is going to face a real long uphill battle i the AAC. However, their hoops team isn't going to die unless Ollie leaves and they hire a bunch of GRob coaches. Their brand for hoops is legit and if Gonzaga, Butler, and other small conference teams can compete they will as well. The AAC will destroy their FB program though and any realistic UConn fan would admit that.

We can bust their chops because their FB team is going to face a real long uphill battle i the AAC. However, their hoops team isn't going to die unless Ollie leaves and they hire a bunch of GRob coaches. Their brand for hoops is legit and if Gonzaga, Butler, and other small conference teams can compete they will as well. The AAC will destroy their FB program though and any realistic UConn fan would admit that.

The AAC is on completely different level than where Butler/Gonzaga played.

Our FB team can win if Diaco can coach.

If Ollie stays and he can coach at a high level, I like our situation in BB. A lot.

If you liked your situation you wouldn't be clamoring to get out.

Nor would you be on an opponent's message board trying to convince them.

The NCAA selection committee didn't like the AAC aka the haves and have nots conference. AAC is basically on the level of the A-10, Big East, MWC. The conference isn't total trash, but you will need some decent power games in the OOC which is doable.

Your FB program has gone the last 3 years without a bowl appearance, UConn recruiting isn't better than Syracuse's recruiting and if Diaco can coach it will take 3 years to know and by that time the B1G will have already renegotiated their TV deal and I doubt they will add teams by that time. If Diaco does coach well he wilbe gone as the AAC isn't a power league and whether we want to admit no Northeast team outside of Penn State will be a top 25 year and year out and Diaco isn't staying in a mid-major league if he work outs.

Also, you didn't answer who would be the 2nd B1G team added if UConn was invited?

The NCAA selection committee didn't like the AAC aka the haves and have nots conference. AAC is basically on the level of the A-10, Big East, MWC. The conference isn't total trash, but you will need some decent power games in the OOC which is doable.

Your FB program has gone the last 3 years without a bowl appearance, UConn recruiting isn't better than Syracuse's recruiting and if Diaco can coach it will take 3 years to know and by that time the B1G will have already renegotiated their TV deal and I doubt they will add teams by that time. If Diaco does coach well he wilbe gone as the AAC isn't a power league and whether we want to admit no Northeast team outside of Penn State will be a top 25 year and year out and Diaco isn't staying in a mid-major league if he work outs.

Also, you didn't answer who would be the 2nd B1G team added if UConn was invited?

The committee really messed up on the AAC. SMU may be the best team to ever be excluded. The top 5 teams in the AAC and ACC weren't that far apart from a kempom perspective. Clearly huge difference from the A-10 or BE. More like the SEC.

I would take UCF season over the past decade of UCONN/Pitt/BC/SU - so it can be done in the AAC. I think Diaco will bowl in year 1 - this isn't a GROB situation, the talent is in place. Diaco won't stay but SU couldn't keep its fb coach after pretty modest success. WVU couldn't keep RR. Even Penn St couldn't keep theirs. Alabama was rumored to be in danger of losing their coach last year.

UCONN situation isn't any worse than Petrino at UofL or Utah or TCU or Boise. In fact, in many ways, its better. So it comes to coaching.

If the B1g added UCONN, I'd like KS to come along.

This is the issue - money, not CR.

BC has taken multiple steps back in BB and FB since winning "CR"

Winning on the field and on the court comes down to coaching.

If Ollie can coach, UCONN will win. Win big.

If Diaco can coach, UCONN can win big as well. But without a P5 check, we can't keep him if he wins big.

Maybe in hoops. There's such parity and the fact that you only need a couple of high impact players makes achieving success outside of being in a power conference more attainable.

Football? Hard for me to imagine Uconn ever winning "big". You never have before, and now your situation is considerably worse.

The committee really messed up on the AAC. SMU may be the best team to ever be excluded. The top 5 teams in the AAC and ACC weren't that far apart from a kempom perspective. Clearly huge difference from the A-10 or BE. More like the SEC.

I would take UCF season over the past decade of UCONN/Pitt/BC/SU - so it can be done in the AAC. I think Diaco will bowl in year 1 - this isn't a GROB situation, the talent is in place. Diaco won't stay but SU couldn't keep its fb coach after pretty modest success. WVU couldn't keep RR. Even Penn St couldn't keep theirs. Alabama was rumored to be in danger of losing their coach last year.

UCONN situation isn't any worse than Petrino at UofL or Utah or TCU or Boise. In fact, in many ways, its better. So it comes to coaching.

If the B1g added UCONN, I'd like KS to come along.
I really don't want to get into this debate as you have to be optimsitic I understand and I am being a realist.
Starting next year
Top 5 AAC
1. UConn
2. Cincinnati
3. Memphis
4. SMU
5. Houston/Tulsa/Tulane/whomever I am missing
You will have 8 conference games against good competition then 8-10 games against bad competition.

Top 5 ACC
1. Duke
2. North Carolina
3. Louisville
4. Syracuse
5. Pitt
The ACC still has Notre Dame, NC State, Florida State, Miami, Clemson who will be decent.

UCF has had success under O'Leary, but their potential is maxed out a BCS bowl. While BC/Pitt/SU won't likely play for a NC title in the near future they could all make the title game because of their conference while I doubt the AAC will ever be strong enough to make the 4 team playoff. Our past decade was bad because we went from Coach P to Greg Robinson. I could careless about UCF's 9 years before this past one. They weren't a player nationally until they were actually in a BCS league which they no longer are located in.

If the B1G could get Kansas then as our board insider has been saying Oklahoma to the B1G. The B1G would take OU/KU if KU became available. The B1G doesn't need UConn for NYC because the YES network being owned by FOX will get BTN on in NYC without needing UConn.

As someone who would like to see UConn in the ACC I don't think it will happen. Nor do I think the B10 will expand again unless it can get someone it really covets like UVA.

Your best bet is to hope the the AAC can build up the lower end schools to the point that the AAC becomes the best league outside of the P5 and that you guys can eventually make it a P6.

I really don't want to get into this debate as you have to be optimsitic I understand and I am being a realist.
Starting next year
Top 5 AAC
1. UConn
2. Cincinnati
3. Memphis
4. SMU
5. Houston/Tulsa/Tulane/whomever I am missing
You will have 8 conference games against good competition then 8-10 games against bad competition.

Top 5 ACC
1. Duke
2. North Carolina
3. Louisville
4. Syracuse
5. Pitt
The ACC still has Notre Dame, NC State, Florida State, Miami, Clemson who will be decent.

UCF has had success under O'Leary, but their potential is maxed out a BCS bowl. While BC/Pitt/SU won't likely play for a NC title in the near future they could all make the title game because of their conference while I doubt the AAC will ever be strong enough to make the 4 team playoff. Our past decade was bad because we went from Coach P to Greg Robinson. I could careless about UCF's 9 years before this past one. They weren't a player nationally until they were actually in a BCS league which they no longer are located in.

If the B1G could get Kansas then as our board insider has been saying Oklahoma to the B1G. The B1G would take OU/KU if KU became available. The B1G doesn't need UConn for NYC because the YES network being owned by FOX will get BTN on in NYC without needing UConn.

SMU is most likely to be the best team (or Duke) from either conference. They are going to be very very good.

My point isn't that the AAC will be close to the ACC (it won't) just that the top of the league is much better than the top of the A-10, BE, etc. conferences.

If an AAC school goes undefeated could they get into the playoff? Maybe. Big maybe.

As someone who would like to see UConn in the ACC I don't think it will happen. Nor do I think the B10 will expand again unless it can get someone it really covets like UVA.

Your best bet is to hope the the AAC can build up the lower end schools to the point that the AAC becomes the best league outside of the P5 and that you guys can eventually make it a P6.

I don' think so.

Our best chance is win some FB and BB games.

Eventually, CR is going to start over. I think something like TX to the Pac10 or B1G will start the next round.

I heard the same about UCONN BB. Over and over and over and over again.

I don't think this is Ollie's last FF.

The best FB team is the NE has been the one with the best coach or the one with a great QB. If Diaco can coach, he can win at UCONN. Just like Ollie.

It could be his last FF at UConn. At some point the conference catches up to him.

It could be his last FF at UConn. At some point the conference catches up to him.

Really?

We are playing Fl, Indiana, Stanford, Georgetown for next year. Playing 2 against SMU, Temple, Cincy, Memphis, Houston.

We'll be on ESPN more times than we ever did in the BE.

Do you really think kids won't want to play for Ollie? The NBA is a big deal to HS kids. Iverson, Durant and KingJames, the 76ers have all tweeted Ollie congrats.

We will have a state-of-the-art BB facility with permanent locker stall for current NBA players. Kids who come will play with Kemba, Drummond etc in the summer.

I think Ollie will get better as a recruiter. He hasn't even been able to recruit at full strength for a whole calendar year and the pipeline looks great.

I think we'll have teams good enough to make the FF, it will come down to how the ball bounces. Like always.

Really?

We are playing Fl, Indiana, Stanford, Georgetown for next year. Playing 2 against SMU, Temple, Cincy, Memphis, Houston.

We'll be on ESPN more times than we ever did in the BE.

Do you really think kids won't want to play for Ollie? The NBA is a big deal to HS kids. Iverson, Durant and KingJames, the 76ers have all tweeted Ollie congrats.

We will have a state-of-the-art BB facility with permanent locker stall for current NBA players. Kids who come will play with Kemba, Drummond etc in the summer.

I think Ollie will get better as a recruiter. He hasn't even been able to recruit at full strength for a whole calendar year and the pipeline looks great.

I think we'll have teams good enough to make the FF, it will come down to how the ball bounces. Like always.

I think you missed my point. He can go get a better job, double his pay, play in a real conference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom