ACC Meetings ... | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Meetings ...

Va tech
Florida state
Nc state
Duke
This would be my preferred order
Don't want any of Florida St, Miami, or Clemson as a yearly team. The other 3 are good choices.

My 3rd Cuse opponent in order of desirability:

Miami
FSU
GTech
UVA
VTech
Miami would be fun, with big signs calling out Ruiz and ridiculing him for not being able to beat us with the best team money could buy.

Louisville actual has exc tailgating and the city has a lot to offer. It is just tough to get to from CNY. It would be nice to have a few more games there in early October (Columbus Day weekend is optional) than the typical later season weeks.

Last edited:
On average? No. Recently? Sure*

*they needed OT to beat us this year with their best team in a decade
Stop it. They are clearly a better football team. With a very good head coach. Syracuse has to get to a bowl consistently before they can claim dominance over anyone...once again..I repeat..getting to a bowl game is not difficult!! 80 teams do it every year...I don't understand why some consider this climbing Mt Everest. I'd maintain...getting to the NIT is harder in college BB than getting to a bowl game in college FB..

You can do this comparative score stuff forever. It's like if the KC Royals are winning two out of 3 from Yankees in a series and then saying..."see...we are better!"...No, the Royals are not better...they aren't even a .500 baseball team and rarely are except for a short run several years ago. Until a team can play at least .500 ball...you have no bragging rights. None.

6-6 is mandatory in 2022.

Last edited:
I do not want Louisville.

I think stying away from the Carolina schools is a good thing. If the ACC schedules correctly then every team will play in NC once every year. If our 3rd opponent is a Carolina school then we will have 2 trips to NC in a single season every 4 years (5 trips in 4 years). That is too much.

FSU we won't beat often and it is a PIA to get to. We should want nothing to do with this as our 3rd choice.

Clemson is too good of a team, even though we have played them well.

That leaves Miami, GA Tech, UVA, VA Tech as choices. I would rank them as UVA, Miami, VA Tech, GA Tech. I prefer the drivable game against a team that we can beat more than once in a blue moon. I also think we could have a decent rivalry with UVA in multiple sports (FB, BBall, Lax). Then Miami for the trip, history, and recruiting, which offsets the difficulty. VA Tech for the drivability and history. They really were the closest thing to a rival back in the day. Then GA Tech for the trip and recruiting.

I do not want Louisville.

I think stying away from the Carolina schools is a good thing. If the ACC schedules correctly then every team will play in NC once every year. If our 3rd opponent is a Carolina school then we will have 2 trips to NC in a single season every 4 years (5 trips in 4 years). That is too much.

FSU we won't beat often and it is a PIA to get to. We should want nothing to do with this as our 3rd choice.

Clemson is too good of a team, even though we have played them well.

That leaves Miami, GA Tech, UVA, VA Tech as choices. I would rank them as UVA, Miami, VA Tech, GA Tech. I prefer the drivable game against a team that we can beat more than once in a blue moon. I also think we could have a decent rivalry with UVA in multiple sports (FB, BBall, Lax). Then Miami for the trip, history, and recruiting, which offsets the difficulty. VA Tech for the drivability and history. They really were the closest thing to a rival back in the day. Then GA Tech for the trip and recruiting.
FSU gets SU a few things:

Usually on ESPN or ABC when we have a pulse

4-5 hr drive from a bunch of recruits in Florida and Georgia

Warm weather game in October and November

3 hr drive for me (lol)

That said I'd put Miami first.

I really didn't think about a NC based school because with four schools we should be playing every year in NC anyways.

SU "should" be getting a game in NC every year under 3-5-5. You "should" end up playing 2 NC teams each year, 1 at home and 1 away. Nothing is certain with the ACC until the 2023 schedules are released and then you're still holding your breath until it actually happens.

FSU gets SU a few things:

Usually on ESPN or ABC when we have a pulse

4-5 hr drive from a bunch of recruits in Florida and Georgia

Warm weather game in October and November

3 hr drive for me (lol)

That said I'd put Miami first.

I really didn't think about a NC based school because with four schools we should be playing every year in NC anyways.

Does it help though if we never win? One extra game over 4 years IMO won't move the needle for recruits.

Stop it. They are clearly a better football team. With a very good head coach. Syracuse has to get to a bowl consistently before they can claim dominance over anyone...once again..I repeat..getting to a bowl game is not difficult!! 80 teams do it every year...I don't understand why some consider this climbing Mt Everest. I'd maintain...getting to the NIT is harder in college BB than getting to a bowl game in college FB..

You can do this comparative score stuff forever. It's like if the KC Royals are winning two out of 3 from Yankees in a series and then saying..."see...we are better!"...No, the Royals are not better...they aren't even a .500 baseball team and rarely are except for a short run several years ago. Until a team can play at least .500 ball...you have no bragging rights. None.

6-6 is mandatory in 2022.
Eh, you’re thinking very short term. Yes, they were better than us last year obviously. For scheduling, I’d look at a bigger, longer arc. On the whole, if you’re just looking at wanting an easier win, wouldn’t you want Wake over Miami or FSU?!

Silly stuff.

I’d rather play Miami due to nostalgia and recruiting. But we’d win more on average playing Wake.

SU "should" be getting a game in NC every year under 3-5-5. You "should" end up playing 2 NC teams each year, 1 at home and 1 away. Nothing is certain with the ACC until the 2023 schedules are released and then you're still holding your breath until it actually happens.
Hey...I would not be surprised if UVA is our third opponent

You are our 3rd closest opponent

What are UVA fans' thoughts on a non traditional 3rd opponent?

I assume UNC and VaTech as 1 and 2?

Yes, VPI and UNC are the lead pipe cinches as two of the permanent opponents. The third is totally up in the air. UVa, Louisville, Wake, and BC have no natural thirds. Our fans would probably prefer Wake, a traditional ACC opponent, but our wishes carry less than zero weight with ACC HQ. We have what we call "ACC Rule 2b", "Whenever more than one option is available to the ACC, the one most detrimental to UVa's interests must be chosen."

What is intriguing to most of us is a late comer, GA Tech, because we will never, ever, get over what happened in 1990. FSU wants GA Tech as a permanent opponent because they are the closest school geographically to Tally. They've been agitating about having GA Tech for a long time. Right now, GA Tech has Clemson as their cross-division rival in FB and one of their permanent home-and-homes in b-ball. The idea is that GA Tech would get us and Louisville would get Clemson so no one would have to play both Clemson and FSU every year.

I would assume UVA is on almost every team in the ACC’s short list for their 3 team pod. UVA would be a huge win for us if we got them in our 3 team pod. That’s why I highly doubt it happens unfortunately.

Is there a timeline for decisions on this?

Is there a timeline for decisions on this?
The ACC has announced its football schedules in January. I would expect that to continue. The announcement of permanent annual opponents could happen any time before that. The big variable here is ESPN. The ACC (like the other conferences, I'm sure) is hoping to leverage additional revenues out of their TV partners because there should be better regular-season matchups and, especially, better conference game matchups under the new system.

I'd be happy with any of those 4. I'd keep GT as 4th choice.

First 3 could be any order for me.

VT because they bring out the best in our fanbase and have a rocking stadium for away games.

UVA because of a potential 3 sport rivalry like you say, and it's the closest (& nicest) campus for the DC alums.

Miami because of nostalgia and I guess recruiting ground if that still even works for us.

My fear is we'll get Miami just as they finally turn back into the U after all these years.

I'd be happy with any of those 4. I'd keep GT as 4th choice.

First 3 could be any order for me.

VT because they bring out the best in our fanbase and have a rocking stadium for away games.

UVA because of a potential 3 sport rivalry like you say, and it's the closest (& nicest) campus for the DC alums.

Miami because of nostalgia and I guess recruiting ground if that still even works for us.

My fear is we'll get Miami just as they finally turn back into the U after all these years.

GA Tech would be a weird pairing but fits pretty well for recruiting and travel.

Not taking the 3rd team into account we play over 4 years...

4x in NC
2x in Boston, FL, WPA, VA
1x in GA, KY, SC

We shouldn't want a NC team. 4x is already too much. We already have Boston and WPA teams yearly. Playing every other year in FL and VA is nice already. Sure another game in each would be nicer, but it ain't bad as is. We shouldn't want to play in KY or SC more often. Which leaves GA.

Playing there more often would help to recruit in GA. It is a hike but drivable for SFL families. It is an easy flight for our fans and player families. It makes a lot of sense. But I still rather play Miami or VA Tech for nostalgia. Or UVA for the similar athletic program and easy drive. But I do think GA Tech is clearly ahead of UNC, Duke, NC State, Wake, FSU, Louisville, Clemson. I think they are closer to being #1 than #5 IMO.

Yes, VPI and UNC are the lead pipe cinches as two of the permanent opponents. The third is totally up in the air. UVa, Louisville, Wake, and BC have no natural thirds. Our fans would probably prefer Wake, a traditional ACC opponent, but our wishes carry less than zero weight with ACC HQ. We have what we call "ACC Rule 2b", "Whenever more than one option is available to the ACC, the one most detrimental to UVa's interests must be chosen."

What is intriguing to most of us is a late comer, GA Tech, because we will never, ever, get over what happened in 1990. FSU wants GA Tech as a permanent opponent because they are the closest school geographically to Tally. They've been agitating about having GA Tech for a long time. Right now, GA Tech has Clemson as their cross-division rival in FB and one of their permanent home-and-homes in b-ball. The idea is that GA Tech would get us and Louisville would get Clemson so no one would have to play both Clemson and FSU every year.

LOL on "ACC Rule 2b"

We feel like every conference has had something similar for us too.

And because of that - we'll get stuck w/ Llvll.
Because 3 teams have to get stuck with them, and we're one of the 3 that the ACC gives less than zero FFF's about regarding this sorta thing.

Pitt & BC are our #1 and #4 most-played football 'rivals', so they are both stone cold, sharpie locks.

Shockingly, after The Ewe (23) - Llvll is tied w/ Army in the top 15 with 20 games each.

An aside - this is part of why I want us to play Army as often as they'll have us.
Our 'rivalry' goes all the way back to 1899. That's pretty cool.
And their stadium is fabulous.

Navy (27) would be awesome OOC too, but their dance card is very hard to get onto.

VaTech is next with 19 games.
NIT State 15
FSU 14
Wake 11
Clemson 10

UVA - 5 and GaTech - 4 seem like awful longshots, unless there's just no other way to get all the #'s to work out for everybody else.

tl/dr - we're getting stuck w/ Llvll.

LOL on "ACC Rule 2b"

We feel like every conference has had something similar for us too.

And because of that - we'll get stuck w/ Llvll.
Because 3 teams have to get stuck with them, and we're one of the 3 that the ACC gives less than zero FFF's about regarding this sorta thing.

Pitt & BC are our #1 and #4 most-played football 'rivals', so they are both stone cold, sharpie locks.

Shockingly, after The Ewe (23) - Llvll is tied w/ Army in the top 15 with 20 games each.

An aside - this is part of why I want us to play Army as often as they'll have us.
Our 'rivalry' goes all the way back to 1899. That's pretty cool.
And their stadium is fabulous.

Navy (27) would be awesome OOC too, but their dance card is very hard to get onto.

VaTech is next with 19 games.
NIT State 15
FSU 14
Wake 11
Clemson 10

UVA - 5 and GaTech - 4 seem like awful longshots, unless there's just no other way to get all the #'s to work out for everybody else.

tl/dr - we're getting stuck w/ Llvll.

Our hope is

1. Louisville thinks of themselves as a Southern school and wants to play Southern teams
2. They do have some football history with FSU and Pitt
3. They have a perception of being a decent program and there are better TV matchups than SU
4. We likely are dead last on their list of teams that they would like to play
5. There are several schools closer to Louisville than SU
6. They were in the same BBall conference as FSU (1976-91) and VA Tech (1979-95) so they share something in common

If the ACC uses history, I think Miami or VA Tech makes the most sense as our 3rd team. If the ACC uses location, I think VA Tech or UVA makes the most sense. If the ACC uses overall Athletic Department fit, UVA, UNC, or Duke makes the most sense. If the ACC uses future competitiveness, Wake, UVA, or Duke makes the most sense.

We have little history with UVA but they hit the other boxes. I think we only end up with Louisville if the ACC is lazy.

Our hope is

1. Louisville thinks of themselves as a Southern school and wants to play Southern teams
2. They do have some football history with FSU and Pitt
3. They have a perception of being a decent program and there are better TV matchups than SU
4. We likely are dead last on their list of teams that they would like to play
5. There are several schools closer to Louisville than SU
6. They were in the same BBall conference as FSU (1976-91) and VA Tech (1979-95) so they share something in common

If the ACC uses history, I think Miami or VA Tech makes the most sense as our 3rd team.
If the ACC uses location, I think VA Tech or UVA makes the most sense. If the ACC uses overall Athletic Department fit, UVA, UNC, or Duke makes the most sense. If the ACC uses future competitiveness, Wake, UVA, or Duke makes the most sense.

We have little history with UVA but they hit the other boxes.

I think we only end up with Louisville if the ACC is lazy.

... which is why we're gonna get stuck with Llvll. ;)

I think taking into account what the schools want, history, and ESPN, the below works best.

UNC- Duke, NC State, UVA
Duke- UNC, Wake, GA Tech
NC State- UNC, Wake, Clemson
Wake- Duke, NC State, BC
GA Tech- Duke, Clemson, Miami
Clemson- NC State, GA Tech, FSU
FSU- Clemson, Miami, Louisville
Miami- GA Tech, FSU, VA Tech
Louisville- FSU, VA Tech, Pitt
UVA- UNC, VA Tech, SU
VA Tech- Miami, Louisville, UVA
Pitt- Louisville, SU, BC
SU- UVA, Pitt, BC
BC- Wake, Pitt, SU

I suppose we could end up with Wake or GA Tech or if lucky Miami. If unlucky Louisville. I think VA Tech has a lot of teams that they fit well with that are ahead of SU. I don't want to be a sacrificial lamb for FSU.

Taking ND into account as well, over a 12 year period we play...

50 games in CNY
12 games in NC
6 games in Boston, FL, VA, WPA
3 games in GA, KY, SC
0-2 games in IN
0-2 games in NYC (should ND move their game to YS or ML)

That third opponent would add 3 more games to any of the above totals. 15x in NC would be rough. 9x in FL or VA would be fine. No need for KY or SC to add 3 games. GA makes obvious sense as it brings the state even with the others at 6.

OOC if we do not get 1 offs or 2 for 1s, we play 1 P5, and we continue to play FCS schools over that same 12 year period we will play...

28 games in CNY
16 games on the road

At the very least we should play Rutgers and Maryland both home and away during that period. It probably makes more sense to play both 4x each. Although it would be nice to also play Penn State and WV. I think the same can be said about Army, Temple, and UConn. It makes sense to play them 4x each. Which would give us...

2 games in CT, EPA, MD, NJ, SNY

That leaves 6 road games to be scheduled. IMO we should play those mainly vs OH MAC teams. One could argue for extra games in FL and GA vs G5 schools from those states. But we already play in conference for both. Playing a G5 IMO wouldn't move the needle. Then we have UB and UMass as candidates as well. However it might be best to go ahead and play Army and Temple 6x in those 12 years. So once every 4 years at home and away. Each kid will get a road game during their time on the hill. I think we should do the same with an OH MAC school. So now we have...

3 games in EPA, OH, SNY
2 games in CT, MD, NJ

That leaves 1 open spot. I think it would be best to use it for UB. So overall we have...

78 games in CNY
12 games in NC
6 games in Boston, FL, VA, WPA
3 games in EPA, GA, KY, OH, SC, SNY
2 games in CT, MD, NJ
0-2 games in IN
0-2 games in NYC (should ND move their game to YS or ML)
1 game in WNY
3 games at our 3rd ACC "rival"

Of our 144 games during those 12 years 103-105 would be in the Northeast (over 70%). Of the 66 road games 25-27 would be in the Northeast. Plus another 6-9 games in VA. So about half of our road games would be Eastern from VA and North. With the OH and KY games we would have 39-42 games North of the Tennessee and North Carolina borders. Less than 40% of our roads games would be Southern.

Example OOC

Year 1- ND, @Army, OH MAC, FCS
Year 2- RU, @Temple, @OH MAC, FCS
Year 3- @RU, Temple, @UB, FCS
Year 4- @ND, Army, UB, FCS
Year 5- MD, @Army, @OH MAC, FCS
Year 6- @MD, Temple, OH MAC, FCS
Year 7- ND, @Temple, @UConn, FCS
Year 8- RU, @Army, UConn, FCS
Year 9- @RU, Army, @OH MAC, FCS
Year 10- @ND, Temple, OH MAC, FCS
Year 11- MD, @Temple, @UConn, FCS
Year 12- @MD, Army, UConn, FCS

FWIW, UVa's AD, Carla Williams, held a press conference today at the groundbreaking for our new football operations building. Without actually coming out and endorsing 3-5-5, she endorsed the 3-5-5 schedule as allowing conference teams to play each other more often. UVa has "a definite opinion" on which 3 teams we want as permanent partners. "Natural rivalries is really important. Geography is really important.". That's all she would say about the whole process. Judging by how she sorta danced around saying anything, the Conference HQ will make the announcement and all the schools are not supposed to comment before the release date. I just hope it's before the usual late Jan/early Feb schedule announcement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom