ACC Meetings ... | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Meetings ...

I don't think teams were ready pre Big East Basketball to form an Eastern conference, especially Miami (who wasn't good at Football yet) and FSU. It needed to be done in the late 1980s. Without Miami and FSU, Penn State eventually leaves the conference for the B1G anyway.
I don't think anything would have kept Ped St. from heading to the B1G. They are a huge land grant university, and that is what that league is. Plus the academic angle--the CIC (renamed in 2016) is worth billions to the member institutions.

Really don't think it's going to make any difference. With the way the SEC and Big 10 are everything will implode by 2025. It would be better for schools like Miami, Florida St, and Clemson to join the semi pro league with full time players and let the rest of us have a different type of league.
VT and NCST as well. If those 5 teams want to leave and can get spots in the P2, might as well let them go now and make a reasonable GOR settlement which could be up to a billion dollars or more for the ACC. Use that money to strengthen the league.

I don't think anything would have kept Ped St. from heading to the B1G. They are a huge land grant university, and that is what that league is. Plus the academic angle--the CIC (renamed in 2016) is worth billions to the member institutions.
Might be the case. But it would be a step down in football affiliation and leaving traditional rivals. At the very least they think twice.

Edit

It would also be the first real conference defection.

Edit II

That would have been the best conference in college football and woulda been about to add GA Tech (who was good back then) and Clemson to get to a Conference CG. The B1G back then was just Michigan and not much else.

Last edited:
It seems to me that some of you fail to grasp that math. Most or all of you fail to understand that unless VT had played VA state politics hard and well, then UVA never would have been pressured to intercede to get VT into the ACC. UVA voted YES to 12 only if VT were voted in as #10. If UVA had not been pressured, then UVA would have voted NO to expanding to 12. If there remained 3 NO votes for going to 12, then Miami is added as #10. And nobody could have been added with Miami.

The Miami Plan to add Miami, BC, and Cuse at once never had the 7 votes required to make it happen.
UNC should have had death penalty for all their cheating. 4 basketball championships are all bogus. Should have been stripped. Butch Davis cheated in FB too...You had players not even attending school. Cheated schools like Syracuse.

Ditto for Penn State. Another death penalty candidate.

“For us Pitt and BC make a tremendous amount of sense,” Wildhack said. “We’ve played them frequently. They are geographic rivals. That third opponent, it gives the conference a little more flexibility where teams might want to be in certain markets, certain matchups might be more attractive for ESPN or the ACC Network. We’ve tried to create some flexibility for that third spot.”

Wildhack said that he is part of a sub-committee of ACC athletic directors that has been tasked with considering the best way for the league to build its schedule. Their work was the subject of conversation at the annual ACC Spring Meetings in Amelia Island, Florida last week.

“For us Pitt and BC make a tremendous amount of sense,” Wildhack said. “We’ve played them frequently. They are geographic rivals. That third opponent, it gives the conference a little more flexibility where teams might want to be in certain markets, certain matchups might be more attractive for ESPN or the ACC Network. We’ve tried to create some flexibility for that third spot.”

Wildhack said that he is part of a sub-committee of ACC athletic directors that has been tasked with considering the best way for the league to build its schedule. Their work was the subject of conversation at the annual ACC Spring Meetings in Amelia Island, Florida last week.
It's a shame that the obvious answer here - BC, Pitt, WV - isn't an option.

Sounds like FSU right? Or maybe Miami?

Sounds like FSU right? Or maybe Miami?
We want to play in Miami. Miami wants to play in the Northeast. That would be the best case for us.

Of course, Pitt and BC also want Miami as a permanent rival. And UM has to play FSU.

Sounds like FSU also wants regular access to the Northeast, like we want access to Florida.

Everyone has to give some in this arrangement. FSU as a third permanent rivsl would be a good compromise that would be good for both programs. Let’s make it happen.

Everybody submit 2 teams into the league, the 3rd choices of teams will not all be honored in every case is my guess with espn getting major imput on the 3rd team as a condition for a slight bump in money

We want to play in Miami. Miami wants to play in the Northeast. That would be the best case for us.

Of course, Pitt and BC also want Miami as a permanent rival. And UM has to play FSU.

Sounds like FSU also wants regular access to the Northeast, like we want access to Florida.

Everyone has to give some in this arrangement. FSU as a third permanent rivsl would be a good compromise that would be good for both programs. Let’s make it happen.
Man, Miami would be beautiful, though ...

Miami really has a few good options. BC, Pitt, VT, Cuse, FSU. FSU is the obvious one. Most of the time I would say VT as well but you never know.

Pitt doesnt cut it for the florida teams
BC is a weak second choice.
SU is the prize as it is in NY.
My Guess is Miami gets SU
FSU gets BC

Pitt doesnt cut it for the florida teams
BC is a weak second choice.
SU is the prize as it is in NY.
My Guess is Miami gets SU
FSU gets BC

Miami and BC or Syracuse make sense. I’m hoping we get them

You gotta think if ESPN is involved that hurts our chances of landing Miami or FSU and increases the chances we end up with Wake. If you were to break the ACC into four tiers we are clearly in that bottom tier. Having a team from the 1st tier play a team from the 4th tier is not good for ratings.

You gotta think if ESPN is involved that hurts our chances of landing Miami or FSU and increases the chances we end up with Wake. If you were to break the ACC into four tiers we are clearly in that bottom tier. Having a team from the 1st tier play a team from the 4th tier is not good for ratings.
As JW pointed out, ESPN is going to want to see matchups like Miami vs Clemson. That game currently gets played once every 6 years. It is likely going to be an annual game.

I expect the big name programs are going to play each other in 2 of the 3 permanent rival slots, and the 3rd slot will go to someone else who is more of a 'tier 3' or 'tier 4' program the power school can be expected to win most of the time.

FSU is going to be paired with UM and Clemson.
Miami is going to be paired with FSU and Clemson.
Clemson is going to be paired with UM and FSU.

Clemson's 3rd rival might be GT.
Miami's might be BC.
FSU's might be SU.

Could be different schools here...talking more about the basic concept than specifics.

I think that is how things will play out, where the league tries to balance things somewhat so the schedules aren't completely unbalanced when comparing school to school. If the 3rd school makes sense geographically, based on shared history or gives a school access to a market they covet access to, all the better.

As JW pointed out, ESPN is going to want to see matchups like Miami vs Clemson. That game currently gets played once every 6 years. It is likely going to be an annual game.

I expect the big name programs are going to play each other in 2 of the 3 permanent rival slots, and the 3rd slot will go to someone else who is more of a 'tier 3' or 'tier 4' program the power school can be expected to win most of the time.

FSU is going to be paired with UM and Clemson.
Miami is going to be paired with FSU and Clemson.
Clemson is going to be paired with UM and FSU.

Clemson's 3rd rival might be GT.
Miami's might be BC.
FSU's might be SU.

Could be different schools here...talking more about the basic concept than specifics.

I think that is how things will play out, where the league tries to balance things somewhat so the schedules aren't completely unbalanced when comparing school to school. If the 3rd school makes sense geographically, based on shared history or gives a school access to a market they covet access to, all the better.

I hope we get a favorable draw. But I would think they want the Tier 1 teams to not play Tier 4 teams if at all possible. I think ESPN would be fine with Clemson having FSU, GA Tech, and NC State. Miami having FSU, VA Tech, Pitt. FSU would have Clemson and Miami. IMO it would make sense to give them Louisville as that 3rd team.

Tier 1
Clemson, FSU, Miami

Tier 2
GA Tech, Louisville, UNC, VA Tech

Tier 3
NC State, Pitt, UVA, Wake

Tier 4
BC, Duke, SU

Thought I would link this article from a couple of days ago.

Two FU journos pick their best case and worse case scenarios for FSU’s 3rd permanent rival. They both agree Syracuse would be the best case.

Hard to argue against this.

I would say our best case scenario for the 3rd rival is probably Miami, then Georgia Tech and then FSU.

Miami would be the best because there is so much great talent down there and playing there every other season would likely make it easier to get more players from the area. Also, there are cheap direct flights and it is a really fun place to visit on a road trip. And no one is remotrely sick of traveling too much to Miami. I believe we have played 1 home game there since we joined the ACC.

Georgia Tech is next on my list. Next to Miami, the Atlanta metro area probably produces the next most P5 level prospects each year. We have tapped into that area a little but not as much as we could and should. Of course, like Miami, we play there once every 12 years (with the garbage scheduling model the ACC has been using). Sounds like we are going to play there a lot more often no matter what but it would be nice to play there every other year. Atlanta is also super easy to win into, lots of affordable flight options and like Miami, no one is burned out from too many road trips to Atlanta.

Florida State is my third pick. There isn’t anywhere near as much talent near Tallahassee as Miami but it is at least in Florida, and playing every other year in Florida is still good for recruiting. Tallahassee is a lot harder to get to than Miami, which is unfortunate. Close to a 4 hour drive from Orlando or Tampa. And Tallahassee isn’t a great destination for fans. There isn’t much to do there. You need to have fun elsewhere. And a lot of us are kind of sick of traveling to FSU after doing it every other year since we joined the ACC.

But….AIBTL. I think one could play a good argument that UVa or even VT is worth as much as FSU. For one thing both are likely to be easier wins than FSU (though FSU has been down for a while now).

Thought I would link this article from a couple of days ago.

Two FU journos pick their best case and worse case scenarios for FSU’s 3rd permanent rival. They both agree Syracuse would be the best case.

Hard to argue against this.

I would say our best case scenario for the 3rd rival is probably Miami, then Georgia Tech and then FSU.

Miami would be the best because there is so much great talent down there and playing there every other season would likely make it easier to get more players from the area. Also, there are cheap direct flights and it is a really fun place to visit on a road trip. And no one is remotrely sick of traveling too much to Miami. I believe we have played 1 home game there since we joined the ACC.

Georgia Tech is next on my list. Next to Miami, the Atlanta metro area probably produces the next most P5 level prospects each year. We have tapped into that area a little but not as much as we could and should. Of course, like Miami, we play there once every 12 years (with the garbage scheduling model the ACC has been using). Sounds like we are going to play there a lot more often no matter what but it would be nice to play there every other year. Atlanta is also super easy to win into, lots of affordable flight options and like Miami, no one is burned out from too many road trips to Atlanta.

Florida State is my third pick. There isn’t anywhere near as much talent near Tallahassee as Miami but it is at least in Florida, and playing every other year in Florida is still good for recruiting. Tallahassee is a lot harder to get to than Miami, which is unfortunate. Close to a 4 hour drive from Orlando or Tampa. And Tallahassee isn’t a great destination for fans. There isn’t much to do there. You need to have fun elsewhere. And a lot of us are kind of sick of traveling to FSU after doing it every other year since we joined the ACC.

But….AIBTL. I think one could play a good argument that UVa or even VT is worth as much as FSU. For one thing both are likely to be easier wins than FSU (though FSU has been down for a while now).

As a fan I would have FSU very low on my list. I rather have an easy road trip. I also rather be playing a team that we can beat pretty often. Is playing in Northern Florida 2x in 4 seasons vs 1x in 4 seasons make much of an impact for Florida recruits? Miami I would say yes as they have kids in the immediate area.

As a fan I would have FSU very low on my list. I rather have an easy road trip. I also rather be playing a team that we can beat pretty often. Is playing in Northern Florida 2x in 4 seasons vs 1x in 4 seasons make much of an impact for Florida recruits? Miami I would say yes as they have kids in the immediate area.
From a personal perspective, I agree. Tallahassee doesn’t have much going on and is really hard to get to.

I assume playing in the state helps recruiting. Could be wrong on that. Could argue it would help recruiting more playing more in Virginia. Those are drivable games from CNY and we have a big alumni base in DC that would love that. We have added a number of coaches who know the state well so that would help here too.

To me, whatever is better for recruiting is most important. We need better players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom