ACC Meetings ... | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Meetings ...

Thought I would link this article from a couple of days ago.

Two FU journos pick their best case and worse case scenarios for FSU’s 3rd permanent rival. They both agree Syracuse would be the best case.

Hard to argue against this.

I would say our best case scenario for the 3rd rival is probably Miami, then Georgia Tech and then FSU.

Miami would be the best because there is so much great talent down there and playing there every other season would likely make it easier to get more players from the area. Also, there are cheap direct flights and it is a really fun place to visit on a road trip. And no one is remotrely sick of traveling too much to Miami. I believe we have played 1 home game there since we joined the ACC.

Georgia Tech is next on my list. Next to Miami, the Atlanta metro area probably produces the next most P5 level prospects each year. We have tapped into that area a little but not as much as we could and should. Of course, like Miami, we play there once every 12 years (with the garbage scheduling model the ACC has been using). Sounds like we are going to play there a lot more often no matter what but it would be nice to play there every other year. Atlanta is also super easy to win into, lots of affordable flight options and like Miami, no one is burned out from too many road trips to Atlanta.

Florida State is my third pick. There isn’t anywhere near as much talent near Tallahassee as Miami but it is at least in Florida, and playing every other year in Florida is still good for recruiting. Tallahassee is a lot harder to get to than Miami, which is unfortunate. Close to a 4 hour drive from Orlando or Tampa. And Tallahassee isn’t a great destination for fans. There isn’t much to do there. You need to have fun elsewhere. And a lot of us are kind of sick of traveling to FSU after doing it every other year since we joined the ACC.

But….AIBTL. I think one could play a good argument that UVa or even VT is worth as much as FSU. For one thing both are likely to be easier wins than FSU (though FSU has been down for a while now).

I said before my 3rd would be Virginia Tech. Don't want a Florida school yearly, because eventually they both will be good, and get one of them and Clemson,

Give me BC, Pitt, and GTech.

I said before my 3rd would be Virginia Tech. Don't want a Florida school yearly, because eventually they both will be good, and get one of them and Clemson,
I'm not expecting Virginia tech to be available to us as # 3 since Miami and Virginia will most definitely be on there list with pitt,louisville, a carolina school or bc being higher on there lists.

Last edited:
I'm not expecting Virginia tech to be available to us as # 3 since Miami and Virginia will most definitely be on there list with pitt,louisville, a carolina school or bc being higher on there lists.
The original projection for SU was Pitt, BC, and Miami. UVa does need a third team. BC, Louisville, and Wake also had no natural third teams in most of the projections, with Louisville and Wake the most likely thirds for UVa. A new player has entered the game for UVa's third, GA Tech. The idea being, by giving UVa to GA Tech as its third, no one will have to play both Clemson and FSU every year because GA Tech's original projection was Duke, FSU, and Clemson. Louisville would be matched with Clemson and BC with Wake. All this and several bucks will get you a latte at Starbucks.

To me, whatever is better for recruiting is most important. We need better players.
For 11 years on this board, and going back several iterations before that, I have found myself agreeing with 99% of your takes (which, of course, makes you brilliant).

With respect to the above from your post, NOTHING is more important than recruiting and improving talent. The single most important obstacle to recruiting for SU is winning (though NIL will now be a close second). Pitt and BC as permanent rivals are no-brainers and will happen. If the 3rd choice comes down to Miami, FSU, G-Tech, L'Ville, VA, Whoever U, give me the program that gives us the best chance of winning more often than losing. I don't want any permanent part of Miami or FSU, even with the Fla exposure.

I keep thinking that we will get Pitt, BC and Wake.
Hoping our 3rd is Virginia Tech, closer to our natural recruiting area. With 2 Florida schools, will probably have one or the other most years.

As an Atlantan, GA Tech would be convenient.
As orange79 ’s future neighbor, Miami would be good as well.
For a winnable game in a small, fun & convenient venue Wake is fine (much better than Loserville).

As an Atlantan, GA Tech would be convenient.
As orange79 ’s future neighbor, Miami would be good as well.
For a winnable game in a small, fun & convenient venue Wake is fine (much better than Loserville).
Why do you think Wake is so winnable? They have a good team.

Personally, I'd like Pitt, BC, and UVA. All games should be winnable in any given year. Pitt and BC are the straightforward rivals. UVA is close to DC in a fertile recruiting area. Charlottesville is a great college town and it's an hour closer drive from CNY than Blacksburg.

Why do you think Wake is so winnable? They have a good team.
Every Wake game I’ve been to has been on Orange victory. Should be a better long term matchup (win/loss wise) than either FSU or Miami.

I'm pulling for the Cavaliers as the 3rd team. We already have a healthy competition with them in basketball and lacrosse. Hiring 2 of their coaches in football adds a nice touch to the rivalry.
My 3rd Cuse opponent in order of desirability:

Miami
FSU
GTech
UVA
VTech

Every Wake game I’ve been to has been on Orange victory. Should be a better long term matchup (win/loss wise) than either FSU or Miami.
I'll see you there in November

Putting 50 large on Cuse moneyline.

As an Orange headed step-child of the ACC. How could it be anything other than, former Big East opponents - Boston College, Pittsburgh, Louisville.

As an Orange headed step-child of the ACC. How could it be anything other than, former Big East opponents - Boston College, Pittsburgh, Louisville.
Actually some of the power team ADs wouldn't mind having a Duke or Cuse as their 3rd annual opponent for a higher chance at a win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom