ACC Meetings ... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Meetings ...

FSU vs SU is not happening.
It may or may not be happening.

Did you see the quotes from the FSU AD where he was advocating for Syracuse to be FSU's third annual opponent? Check the daily articles for today if you want to learn more about this.

Miami and FSU both apparently want access to the Northeast. Miami was paired with Pitt and BC in the most insider looking pairings I saw. And FSU with Syracuse.

I would prefer to be paired with Miami instead of FSU but FSU would be a far better fit than some others. Especially UL.

Boston College (MA)
Syracuse (NY)
Rutgers (NJ)
Pittsburgh (PA)
Notre Dame (IN)
Purdue (IN)
Northwestern (IL)
Virginia (VA)
North Carolina (NC)
Duke (NC)
Vanderbilt (TN)
Wake Forest (NC)
Georgia Tech (GA)
Miami (FL)
Stanford (CA)

Louisville, VT, NC St, Clemson, FSU to join the $EC professional division

Replace Rutgers with anyone other than UConn and I'm in. Let Rutgers die off...though, they'd probably jump at a semi-pro league just because of their economic issues they're having.

The division system was created quite a while ago by the NCAA for a D-2 conference in PA, which had grown to 12 teams and needed a way to select its champion for the NCAA playoffs. They never expected any D-1 conference to expand to 12 and be eligible for a championship game. The ACC wanted to implement 3-5-5 a while ago but the rule change which would allow it in D-1 was blocked by the SEC and B1G, who were hoping the ACC would implode and they could pick over the rubble. "Lack of foresight" didn't hold up implementation, malice on the part of the SEC and B1G did. What's really stupid about this is that the SEC and B1G superpowers would benefit by getting rid of divisions, notably Ped State.
Believe me, I'm well aware of the 12 team/2 division rule. I've ranted on this board for years that the original SEC expansion of the early 1990s - which was the precipitant for much of the chaos of the next 2 decades - was predicated on that utterly arbitrary rule.

I'll just continue to say that the ACC should've called the NCAA's bluff (and by extension the SEC's and B10's) years ago. Seriously, what was going to happen if the ACC dissolved their divisions and went to the 3-5-5? A sternly worded letter of rebuke?

That's why I think UVA-UNC because it's happening no matter what. Miami-FSU because, although not the game of the 90s, still has TV appeal.

After that all bets are off. League will do what's in its best interest. You'd think some schools will be able to influence the process, but who knows.

I like the idea of keeping long running games, but it's not priority. So many rivalries have been ripped up over the years across college football. I think the ACC is proud of UVA-UNC, but that's it. The rest may have to play every 2 years instead.

Maybe the ACC can say to the teams you only get to keep your #1 choice and that is it. That would likely give us...

BC- SU
Clemson- GA Tech
Duke- UNC, GA Tech, Wake
FSU- Miami
GA Tech- Duke, Clemson
Louisville- Pitt
Miami- FSU
UNC- UVA, Duke, NC State
NC State- UNC
Pitt- SU, Louisville
SU- Pitt, BC
UVA- UNC, VA Tech
VA Tech- UVA
Wake- Duke

Then fill in the rest based on TV matchups.

The Supreme Court decision to allow for NIL is tipping the scales.

Schools don't want to have to write checks for kids to go to school for free at a school they deem valuable on its merits.

I wouldn't be surprised if this all happens quicker than we all anticipate. TV will drive the speed but the horse is leaving the barn with the schools that will tether to academics and those who want semi-pro
This option might not be available to them. If they decide to take tv money and not support pay for play - the problem still exists. A new breakaway semi pro option doesn’t alleviate that pressure, fully.

Did you see the quotes from the FSU AD where he was advocating for Syracuse to be FSU's third annual opponent? Check the daily articles for today if you want to learn more about this.

Miami and FSU both apparently want access to the Northeast. Miami was paired with Pitt and BC in the most insider looking pairings I saw. And FSU with Syracuse.

I would prefer to be paired with Miami instead of FSU but FSU would be a far better fit than some others. Especially UL.

Makes no sense from FSU's standpoint. If they have neither BC nor SU as a rival, they then play 2 games in the Northeast over 4 years. Is that not enough? If they have one as a rival, they then play 3 games over 4 years in the Northeast. So they get one extra road game BUT they also have one extra home game that they will get crap attendance for. I don't think a single FSU fan would chose an extra game in CNY and an extra home game vs SU over playing GA Tech or Louisville instead.

Replace Rutgers with anyone other than UConn and I'm in. Let Rutgers die off...though, they'd probably jump at a semi-pro league just because of their economic issues they're having.
Ok replace Rutgers with Maryland

Boston College (MA)
Syracuse (NY)
Pittsburgh (PA)
Notre Dame (IN)
Miami (FL)

Wake Forest (NC)
Vanderbilt (TN) -SEC
Purdue (IN) -BIG
Northwestern (IL) -BIG
Stanford (CA) -PAC

Maryland (MD) -BIG
Virginia (VA)
North Carolina (NC)
Duke (NC)
Georgia Tech (GA)

This whole protracted speculation is worthless. No one can guess how this is going to shake out. But a betting man would speculate that every school will chase the money if they have the opportunity. The question is not, who will choose to or even who will choose not to. The question is, who will be included in the semi-pro college (wink, wink) athletics bonanza.
DB21B108-D816-41A9-A8F9-59E36DD806D7.gif

Makes no sense from FSU's standpoint. If they have neither BC nor SU as a rival, they then play 2 games in the Northeast over 4 years. Is that not enough? If they have one as a rival, they then play 3 games over 4 years in the Northeast. So they get one extra road game BUT they also have one extra home game that they will get crap attendance for. I don't think a single FSU fan would chose an extra game in CNY and an extra home game vs SU over playing GA Tech or Louisville instead.
I don't believe this has been decided and I don't think anyone knows for sure what is happening.

Matt Fortuna and Andy Staples seemed to have the article with the most info on what is happening behind the curtain. It is a premium article so I can't post a lot of the info in it but I think this quote from the FSU AD is worth reviewing:

“One-hundred percent,” Florida State AD Michael Alford said. “I look at Boston College and Syracuse. How many times do they want to get to Florida? A lot. So what is the best scenario? And how many times do I want to get into the New York market? I want to get up in the Boston and New York market, because it’s a key market for us to build our brands and for recruiting. So making sure that we’re doing the right things where everybody has the same opportunity (is important).”

Alford, who said conference ADs will meet with ESPN on Wednesday, made his case that Florida State needs Clemson and Miami as two of its three annual conference opponents. He is more flexible on the third.

“It’s a wild card,” he said. “But I’m looking at it as, what’s best for the conference? How do we grow our brand? And I’ll get selfish toward it and say, how do I grow my brand? And where can I go play often that gets me in a major TV market?”

Potential permanent opponents?

Boston College — Miami, Syracuse, Virginia Tech
Clemson — NC State, Georgia Tech, Florida State
Duke — North Carolina, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech
Florida State — Miami, Clemson, Syracuse
Georgia Tech — Clemson, Duke, Louisville
Louisville — Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech
Miami — Florida State, Boston College, Pittsburgh

Just as the northern schools value playing regularly in Florida, it sounds like the Florida schools value playing in the Northeast. So it makes a lot of sense to force these things to happen ASAP.

Maybe the ACC can say to the teams you only get to keep your #1 choice and that is it. That would likely give us...

BC- SU
Clemson- GA Tech
Duke- UNC, GA Tech, Wake
FSU- Miami
GA Tech- Duke, Clemson
Louisville- Pitt
Miami- FSU
UNC- UVA, Duke, NC State
NC State- UNC
Pitt- SU, Louisville
SU- Pitt, BC
UVA- UNC, VA Tech
VA Tech- UVA
Wake- Duke

Then fill in the rest based on TV matchups.

I did wonder if they'd say give us your one vote and your one veto. We'll try our best, no guarantees.

If they ever did that, our veto better ****ing be Louisville. Even if we end up playing them.

Believe me, I'm well aware of the 12 team/2 division rule. I've ranted on this board for years that the original SEC expansion of the early 1990s - which was the precipitant for much of the chaos of the next 2 decades - was predicated on that utterly arbitrary rule.

I'll just continue to say that the ACC should've called the NCAA's bluff (and by extension the SEC's and B10's) years ago. Seriously, what was going to happen if the ACC dissolved their divisions and went to the 3-5-5? A sternly worded letter of rebuke?

Always wondered that too. Clemson-FSU were the two best teams, so they're playing in the Conf Championship game. Does the NCAA send armed guards to make sure no one enters the stadium?

Stewart Mandel

@slmandel

It’s flown off the radar, but the NCAA is moving toward eliminating scholarship limits and allowing unlimited coaches. Great for avoiding antitrust issues, nightmare for whatever’s left of parity

Stewart Mandel
@slmandel

It’s flown off the radar, but the NCAA is moving toward eliminating scholarship limits and allowing unlimited coaches. Great for avoiding antitrust issues, nightmare for whatever’s left of parity
It is like the NCAA is trying to split the schools into two camps now. Maybe it is a genius move on their part and will keep the organization from collapsing when the pro franchise wannabes split off.

Stewart Mandel
@slmandel

Are kids dumb enough to sign with schools that have 160 kids on the roster? idk.

Playing time will still rule the day and teams will just live off the portal.

Few quick thoughts from ACC spring meetings before we talk to Jim Phillips in a little bit. No surprise on the division format discussions. We reported in February this is the way it was headed. Most seem to favor 3 permanent opponents with 5 rotating. But ...
there are coaches who are in favor of retaining the division model and do not want to rush into any changes without guarantees it will improve both the league and its marketability. Ultimately, though, the decision will be up to the ADs.

ACC coaches are in favor of a league rule modeled after the SEC in which a player must enter the portal by Feb. 1 to transfer to another league school. ACC coaches chair Dave Clawson said: "A player wants to leave after the season, that's fair game, but you don't want to a player going through all of your spring practices with you and then you're playing against them 4 months later."

Lots of discussion about tampering as well. Every coach I talked to said they have had at least one player offered big $$ to transfer out. The bigger concern I heard from coaches is the possible 'talent drain' as a result of the big $$ offers out there + the effect on the league

The frustration is there is no enforcement, no way to police it, and no matter how much they raised the issues and complained here, nobody could give them guidelines or answers on what to do.

Ill take either one

I don't believe this has been decided and I don't think anyone knows for sure what is happening.

Matt Fortuna and Andy Staples seemed to have the article with the most info on what is happening behind the curtain. It is a premium article so I can't post a lot of the info in it but I think this quote from the FSU AD is worth reviewing:

“One-hundred percent,” Florida State AD Michael Alford said. “I look at Boston College and Syracuse. How many times do they want to get to Florida? A lot. So what is the best scenario? And how many times do I want to get into the New York market? I want to get up in the Boston and New York market, because it’s a key market for us to build our brands and for recruiting. So making sure that we’re doing the right things where everybody has the same opportunity (is important).”

Alford, who said conference ADs will meet with ESPN on Wednesday, made his case that Florida State needs Clemson and Miami as two of its three annual conference opponents. He is more flexible on the third.

“It’s a wild card,” he said. “But I’m looking at it as, what’s best for the conference? How do we grow our brand? And I’ll get selfish toward it and say, how do I grow my brand? And where can I go play often that gets me in a major TV market?”

Potential permanent opponents?

Boston College — Miami, Syracuse, Virginia Tech
Clemson — NC State, Georgia Tech, Florida State
Duke — North Carolina, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech
Florida State — Miami, Clemson, Syracuse
Georgia Tech — Clemson, Duke, Louisville
Louisville — Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech
Miami — Florida State, Boston College, Pittsburgh

Just as the northern schools value playing regularly in Florida, it sounds like the Florida schools value playing in the Northeast. So it makes a lot of sense to force these things to happen ASAP.
I don't know if that's FSU saying they want SU or BC to be one of their 3 permanent opponents, or if they're making a more general point that it makes no sense to play in NY every 2 years but in Boston every 12 years as they do now.

I think most schools just want more equity in scheduling, which 3-5-5 gets them.

I did wonder if they'd say give us your one vote and your one veto. We'll try our best, no guarantees.

If they ever did that, our veto better ****ing be Louisville. Even if we end up playing them.
That's literally the one team in the conference I don't want to play every year. Every other school has at least some redeeming appeal for us, be it an easy road trip, good recruiting area, etc. UL is the worst of all worlds.

That makes little sense, what about title 9?

Schools have to still follow Title 9, so women's sports will either get more scholarships or other men's sports will get cut. The biggest issue is that it now gives the Alabama's of the world even more room for top players.

How many votes do they need for approval? They could lose some votes if too many rivalries are lost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom