ACC Meetings ... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Meetings ...

I don't believe this has been decided and I don't think anyone knows for sure what is happening.

Matt Fortuna and Andy Staples seemed to have the article with the most info on what is happening behind the curtain. It is a premium article so I can't post a lot of the info in it but I think this quote from the FSU AD is worth reviewing:

“One-hundred percent,” Florida State AD Michael Alford said. “I look at Boston College and Syracuse. How many times do they want to get to Florida? A lot. So what is the best scenario? And how many times do I want to get into the New York market? I want to get up in the Boston and New York market, because it’s a key market for us to build our brands and for recruiting. So making sure that we’re doing the right things where everybody has the same opportunity (is important).”

Alford, who said conference ADs will meet with ESPN on Wednesday, made his case that Florida State needs Clemson and Miami as two of its three annual conference opponents. He is more flexible on the third.

“It’s a wild card,” he said. “But I’m looking at it as, what’s best for the conference? How do we grow our brand? And I’ll get selfish toward it and say, how do I grow my brand? And where can I go play often that gets me in a major TV market?”

Potential permanent opponents?

Boston College — Miami, Syracuse, Virginia Tech
Clemson — NC State, Georgia Tech, Florida State
Duke — North Carolina, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech
Florida State — Miami, Clemson, Syracuse
Georgia Tech — Clemson, Duke, Louisville
Louisville — Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech
Miami — Florida State, Boston College, Pittsburgh

Just as the northern schools value playing regularly in Florida, it sounds like the Florida schools value playing in the Northeast. So it makes a lot of sense to force these things to happen ASAP.
Does Alford know that Syracuse is NOT a major TV market? Does he he know the distance from Syracuse to NYC?

Atlanta is a major TV market, and the 2nd largest # of FSU alums live in GA, most of them within the large Atlanta TV market.

How many votes do they need for approval? They could lose some votes if too many rivalries are lost.
What comes under the heading 'rivalries?' If you mean all those game splayed annually since at least rthe ACC became 12 members, then rivalries will be lost.

But if you mean 'games that have national or least major CFB area (the northeast is not major CFB area for fans or recruits) appeal or historical significance, they all can be kept easily with 3+5 (5) scheduling.

At one time it was a distinct possibility. This post by elimunelson has made me feel a bit warmer and fuzzier that it won't happen.

ND has already laid down a marker that it will not play in a division that doesn't require its players to go to class. Seeing UNC in this group speaking similar language allays a concern that I had that they would try to go off with Clemson and the SEC. UVa also will not play in a division that does not require its players to go to class, and, I'm hoping, would refuse to play anyone that doesn't require its players to go to class. I think the conferences as they exist now will all implode and undergo a total reorganization with a greater emphasis on regional play.
UNC in the group requiring class seems awkward in the light of the hoop scandal.

Stewart Mandel
@slmandel

It’s flown off the radar, but the NCAA is moving toward eliminating scholarship limits and allowing unlimited coaches. Great for avoiding antitrust issues, nightmare for whatever’s left of parity
This has got to be a troll job, right? This is a joke. Where's the sarcasm font?

In terms of divisions im not too crazy about some if any just cause the divisions have been such a insult it seems and hasn't worked at all. Its mostly the Acc's fault as well, as im sure most would agree.
Honestly i haven't looked at some of the idea's out there for reconfiguration or ousted completely which would be my vote and obviously top 2 teams in conf. play in the champ. game.
All i know is THEY HAVE TOO GET THIS RIGHT & i cant believe it has takin this long too do this!!!!

Antitrust issues? Because you limit competition by agreeing that all parties involved will cap their number of players?

Are you serious? Is this America still? We are outside our minds.

Sue every pro, semi pro, and every little league organization then if this is how we are going to define what a trust is

FShOp2VXsAA9EdQ

FShOqCeXMAE7A8t

In other news, the NCAA is disbanding because they are no longer needed for policy or policy regulation. The policy is there is no policy.

Free for all!

I want VT, BC, and Pitt. I legit dislike them all, VT was actually a GREAT rivalry before and we have done well against them even in down times.

I don’t want to lose to Clemson, FSU, or Miami 90% of the time.

And I don’t care about anyone else in the league.

I don't believe this has been decided and I don't think anyone knows for sure what is happening.

Matt Fortuna and Andy Staples seemed to have the article with the most info on what is happening behind the curtain. It is a premium article so I can't post a lot of the info in it but I think this quote from the FSU AD is worth reviewing:

“One-hundred percent,” Florida State AD Michael Alford said. “I look at Boston College and Syracuse. How many times do they want to get to Florida? A lot. So what is the best scenario? And how many times do I want to get into the New York market? I want to get up in the Boston and New York market, because it’s a key market for us to build our brands and for recruiting. So making sure that we’re doing the right things where everybody has the same opportunity (is important).”

Alford, who said conference ADs will meet with ESPN on Wednesday, made his case that Florida State needs Clemson and Miami as two of its three annual conference opponents. He is more flexible on the third.

“It’s a wild card,” he said. “But I’m looking at it as, what’s best for the conference? How do we grow our brand? And I’ll get selfish toward it and say, how do I grow my brand? And where can I go play often that gets me in a major TV market?”

Potential permanent opponents?

Boston College — Miami, Syracuse, Virginia Tech
Clemson — NC State, Georgia Tech, Florida State
Duke — North Carolina, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech
Florida State — Miami, Clemson, Syracuse
Georgia Tech — Clemson, Duke, Louisville
Louisville — Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech
Miami — Florida State, Boston College, Pittsburgh

Just as the northern schools value playing regularly in Florida, it sounds like the Florida schools value playing in the Northeast. So it makes a lot of sense to force these things to happen ASAP.
To add to your point, many people forget that FSU specifically chose the ACC over the SEC because they wanted to improve their academic standing. FSU has not lost sight of that goal. Recruiting NYC, LI and the Northeast in general is key for the impression of being an academic school. See Duke, Miami, Vandy, etc. They have no issue drawing southeastern kids, they want northeastern kids.

It is a cute little rivalry but you cannot keep UNC-Duke and then tell other schools that they cannot keep their rival. It isn NOT important to the ACC.
They can always play them as a non conference game

Are kids dumb enough to sign with schools that have 160 kids on the roster? idk.

Playing time will still rule the day and teams will just live off the portal.
Boobie Miles sez shut yo mouth...I'm starting and nothing gonna stop me

Pitt, BCU & WF would be OK as well.
Rotate home games between Clemson, FSU, Miami & VPI and we’re good.
I'd prefer Wake over UL but give me a FL school or GTech for the third rival

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom