ACC Move Official... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Move Official...

In the town of Chapel Hill, it's not often you will hear a southern accent. The vast majority of the population are from outside of NC and have relocated, many of them working or studying at UNC. For this reason, Chapel Hill is the most prominent liberal stronghold in the state.

Allen & Sons is just north of Chapel Hill and is absolutely terrific- well known across the state for great BBQ.

Did you find that hole in the wall BB place in Myrtle Beach called "Little Pigs" or the "Pig Stand" or something like that?

It's called Little Pigs...SC type chain.

Now that we are moving to the ACC (Finally), its clear we need to have a discussion of food in ACC land and restaurants in the ACC states.

This is not the part of the country to go for gourmet food. And there are a lot of bad restaurants serving awful stuff. It’s an area where quantity trumps quality. And where the population has a preference for greasy, fatty, starchy food. They have fast food stands that serve nothing but bisquits swimming in chicken gravy.

A renown North Carolina treat would be “An RC Cola and a moon pie”. The RC Cola is 16 oz sugar and water, while the moon pie is a pie that appears to have been fried. More fat and more sugar.

For example, the concept like “al dente” is beyond foreign to the native population.

Against that competition, Waffle House isn’t all that bad, if you keep it simple. I had a favorite one where I eat breakfast next to the Columbia, SC airport. It’s hard to screw eggs up.

What you need to avoid at all costs are big BBQ places that advertise with billboards. These places featuring a smorgasbord approach are uniformly disappointing.

I have seen green beans in these places that have been sitting in hot water so long that the molecules have begun to disassociate. While they still resemble green beans, they have the consistency of mush. Any “snap” or crispness there might have been had been cooked out of them weeks ago.

Cheerwine is our state Cola not RC, of course Pepsi was born here as well.

Cheerwine is our state Cola not RC, of course Pepsi was born here as well.

And not everything here is deep fried as well. When you guys visit Winston hit me up and i'll let you know a few places to go.

And not everything here is deep fried as well. When you guys visit Winston hit me up and i'll let you know a few places to go.

Winston is a great town...looking forward to hitting up the Joel and smuggling smokes back north. :)

Nana's Soul Food Kitchen near the Charlotte airport. OMFG

When we play at Chapel Hill, make sure to wear a New York Yankee hat and share your opinion with those around you...and sit far away from me. I'd say wear orange zubas but Chip has the last pair in existance.

With the pockets cut out, for easy access.

It's called Little Pigs...SC type chain.

Thanks. It was in a strip mall in a teeny storefront with cramped seating but not very clean.(maybe that is supposed to be part of its down home charm) It had decent bbq. The people down there rave about it and they sure can chow it down but it was a bit too dirty for my tastes and I'm no neat freak.

Nana's Soul Food Kitchen near the Charlotte airport. OMFG
Another place I used to eat in the Charlotte vicinity back around 2000 was Ciro's, a little family Italian place in a strip mall. Great food, and the owner would come out and serenade the ladies with an accordion in the evening.

Winston is a great town...looking forward to hitting up the Joel and smuggling smokes back north. :)

Hopefully our bball team will be back by then. I am looking forward to the rematch and what should have happened had Tanner not gotten hurt. He will have one more chance.

That's a bad thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom