ACC Network announcement at 3 PM | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Network announcement at 3 PM

Let's face it, Syracuse is going to ignored on all the historical stuff. Maybe they will throw the newbie ACC schools a bone and include some content from when they played elsewhere.

I hope so.

Packer is a great hire.

I am not a fan of Wes Durham, who I have found to be worthless when he attempts to do color. I hope they can upgrade to someone with a little more insight and intelligence soon. It scares me Wes is still going to be allowed to do ACC games.
Wes Durham is a PxP guy, not color.

Whatever games aren’t on accn the channel, will be on accn the stream. Also, I have sec and big10 and that has many residual channels so on a Saturday for instance, there are many games on.

Is Packer the close to 80 year old former announcer or the son/grandson etc of Billy Packer? Don’t recall the elder ever being a fan of SU unfortunately.
It is Billy's son, Dies a daily show on Sirius xm. During college football season that
Is decent , though I think we will be an afterthought. He is Southern biased , thinks of Pitt , BC and SU as an afterthought on his show. He did a preview of what he said are the big ACCfootball games next year. Picked 7 or 8. SU Clemson not there.

Don...the providers are still being courted/threatened as we speak. Sling is still in negotiations...but with Directv signed up...Sling will surely follow. I also, think YouttubeTV is a certainty too.

ACC NETWORK AVAILABILITY

Carriage agreements are already in place with the following [national] providers:
DIRECTV
Google Fiber
Hulu Live TV
Layer3 TV
Optimum (aka Altice)
PlayStation Vue
Suddenlink
Verizon Fios

This list alone virtually guarantees that anyone who wants the ACCN can get it if they are willing to switch carriers...You may not have to if you live somewhere served by one of these small, local providers.

Agreements are also in place with the following [local] providers:
Adaptive Media
Amarillo Wireless
Americas Center Corporation
Ashland Home Net
BEK Communications Cooperative
Brookings Municipal Utilities
Cable Systems of Nevada
Camellia Communications
Central Arkansas Telephone Co-op
Cherokee Telephone
Clarksville Department of Energy
Colorado Community Fiber
CTI Fiber
Delcambre Telephone
ESCO Technologies
Farmers Telecommunications Cooperative (AL)
Glandorf Telephone
GMCC
Gold Coast Broadband
Gorham Communications
Grafton Technologies
Hardy Telephone
HCI
Highland Communication Services
Highlands Cable Group
KiwiSat
Locks Cable
Madison Telephone
Mahaska Communication Group
Mid-Plains Communications
Naicom
NEMR Telecom
NetCom TV
New Lisbon
Olin Telephone Company
OpenBand
Peoples Services
Plateau Telecommunications
PTC Communications
RaceTV
Randolph
RTC Communications
Rural Burleigh Cable
Salsgiver Communications
Siren Communications
Southern Fibernet
Southern Montana Telephone
Spruce Knobs Seneca Rocks Telephone
SPTC Telcom
Sunset Digital Communications
Ting Fiber
Topsham Communications
Trenton Telephone Company
Tri County Telephone
United Communications
Vaughnsville Telephone Co
West Carolina Communications
WestPAnet
Wheat State Technologies
Whidbey Telecom
Yadkin Telecom
Yucca Telecom

H/T: GTFletch from CSNBBS.com

So unless I’m missing something, I don’t see spectrum/time warner.

So unless I’m missing something, I don’t see spectrum/time warner.

Not yet.

You also don't see the huge rate increase we'll be hit with.

IMO, they'll make everyone switch from TW pricing to a Gold Spectrum package.

Not yet.

You also don't see the huge rate increase we'll be hit with.

IMO, they'll make everyone switch from TW pricing to a Gold Spectrum package.

So that’s how the accn is going to give schools all this money.

Yes, he is a Clemson alum living in Charlotte and loves Dino almost as much as he loves Dabo
Yeah he used to host the afternoon show on WFNZ but they moved on.
He does that Southern Fried football show.
He is an ACC guy but I wish they chose David Glenn over him.

It is Billy's son, Dies a daily show on Sirius xm. During college football season that
Is decent , though I think we will be an afterthought. He is Southern biased , thinks of Pitt , BC and SU as an afterthought on his show. He did a preview of what he said are the big ACCfootball games next year. Picked 7 or 8. SU Clemson not there.
That’s basically the polar opposite impression I get. He gives Cuse a lot of love and absolutely gushes about DFB.

Also he is a Clemson grad and has children enrolled. Dabo Sweeney comes on the show every single week (he even came on after he cut off all other media following the QB controversy last year)

He doesn’t remotely ignore Clemson.

That’s basically the polar opposite impression I get. He gives Cuse a lot of love and absolutely gushes about DFB.

Also he is a Clemson grad and has children enrolled. Dabo Sweeney comes on the show every single week (he even came on after he cut off all other media following the QB controversy last year)

He doesn’t remotely ignore Clemson.
Think you misunderstood. He had Clemson in a few of those games. I know he loves Clemson. Everybody likes Dino, that's just who he is. I agree to disagree on the rest.

Here is a list of the biggest TV providers in the US. Let’s track it as time goes on to see how ESPN does getting the biggest fish to sign on with ACCN.

MSO name

Total subscribers

Technology

ACCN Agreement?

AT&TDirecTV Now, DirecTV, and AT&T U-verse

[2]Fiber/VDSL/IPTV/Satellite

Yes

ComcastXfinity

[3]Cable/Fiber/IPTV

Not yet

Charter CommunicationsSpectrum

[2]Cable/Fiber/IPTV

Not yet

Dish NetworkDish and Sling TV

[2]Satellite/Fiber/IPTV

Not yet

VerizonFiOS

[2]Fiber

Yes

Cox CommunicationsContour

[2]Cable/Fiber/IPTV

Not yet

Altice USAAltice (formerly Optimum, Suddenlink and Lightpath)[2]

[2]Cable/Fiber

Yes

Frontier Communications Frontier FiOS and Vantage TV

[4]Fiber/DSL/IPTV

Not yet

MediacomXtream[5]

[6]Cable

Not yet

WOW!WOW! TV and WOW! Ultra[7]

[8]Cable

Not yet
So the big providers left are Comcast and Charter/Spectrum.

Both have a strong presence in terms of coverage in ACC markets.

Comcast is big in New England, Pennsylvania, the DC metro area/Virginia, the Chicago/Indiana area, Georgia and southern Florida. There will be intense pressure from ACC fans in these areas to add the ACC network. There is a problem in that the contract ESPN has with Comcast is not expiring before the ACC starts, and Comcast has been notoriously tough negotiating with sports networks (ask the Yankee fans who lost the YES network for a season). Folks in these areas might need to wait a bit before it comes on line. Not sure when their contract with ESPN expires...it might come down that that timeline for Comcast.

Charter/Spectrum (which includes the old Time Warner) also has a strong presence in ACC markets. They are very strong in New York, the Carolinas and the central part of Florida. This includes some of the most rabid ACC fans. So while Charter has been a challenge to deal with in these types of negotiations, I think it is inevitable that they will add the ACCN before it starts. I suspect they will be the next big domino to fall.

Cox Communications has little presence in the Eastern US. I think it is unlikely they add the ACCN. But they do have some presence in Virginia and Florida and despite a rather weak presence in SEC markets, they do carry the SECN. So that might happen.

Most of the biggest markets for Frontier are in ACC markets: Tampa/St Pete, Rochester, NY and Durham. They should be an easy sell and one I expect will be announced soon.

Lastly, Mediacom is mostly based in the Midwest, so we need Notre Dame fans to pull their weight here, but they also have a presence is Georgia, Northern Florida, northeastern North Carolina and Kentucky. Should be okay here as well. Sorry I can’t include a coverage map; you can only have 4 attachments in a given message.

E478690A-236D-4D66-AF5B-943661FF2C78.png
D9DC4B8E-ECFF-48C1-A419-496847EF8BF0.png
EF253224-C3A4-4D3E-A736-9725F9CC60E0.png
BD940CDC-1AF7-4112-8077-C65B22A5E29C.png

ACC Network, ESPN still targeting 2019 launch with digital distributors lined up

Last edited:
Earlier this year I asked if we were going to get less SU games and was ignored. Now it appears I will because Spectrum doesn't have a contract OR it will become a premium channel (read extra $). I became an SU fan over 30 years ago because the team coverage was so extensive, now if it gets reduced ...?? I don't get to watch my Alma mater because A10 games aren't on anything I can get and now SU is going that direction. As a retiree, I have a limited income so I can't afford the extra bucks for mostly drivel content.

Earlier this year I asked if we were going to get less SU games and was ignored. Now it appears I will because Spectrum doesn't have a contract OR it will become a premium channel (read extra $). I became an SU fan over 30 years ago because the team coverage was so extensive, now if it gets reduced ...?? I don't get to watch my Alma mater because A10 games aren't on anything I can get and now SU is going that direction. As a retiree, I have a limited income so I can't afford the extra bucks for mostly drivel content.
Every Syracuse basketball game will be on TV. The blackout problems with WatchESPN will go away now that the awful agreement with Raycom has expired. As I mentioned in my post above, Spectrum is huge in NY, NC and central Florida. These areas are filled with rabid ACC fans. There will be intense pressure to carry the ACCN.

We know Spectrum enjoys a good relationship with ESPN. Heck, they carry the SECN in New York, I can’t see them not carrying the ACCN as well.

I don’t see a big increase in your cable bill either. Spectrum knows ACCN is going to be available on Hulu, Sling, Playstation Vue, YouTube, DirectTV and Verizon Fios. If Spectrum doesn’t carry ACCN, subscribers will just go elsewhere. If they try and use this as a way to jack up fees, subscribers will just be given another incentive to cut the cord. They have no choice. They have to carry the ACCN. The cost to them for adding this network might be $1.70 per month per subscriber. That should be the type of increase you might expect, tops as a result of this. There has been talk of ESPN adding the ACCN as a replacement for ESPNNews or ESPN Classic. If they do that, the cost will be even less. You should be good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom