ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 129 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

If we can split some real coin from these other schools going to B1G/SEC; almost wish this breakup happens sooner, than later. Let's just get on with our lives, instead of driving down this 10 year road, that ends in a rock quarry.

TBH, the ACC is actually the best option for all involved. $$ will increase a bit, but will always lag the Big Two.

Some observations:
  1. On the academic front, it’s a mostly aligned group. Maybe not as great as the BigXX, but 2nd best.
  2. The football programs all have a good route to the playoffs. If Clempsun and/or FSWho go 11-1 and make it to the ACC Championship game then they should make it. Same goes for the Orange. :)
  3. To please occasional winner FSWho, they could change the payouts such that a portion (25-33%?) of the added TV money goes to a championship/bowl/NCAA tournament bucket.

Last edited:
Where is it written that 8 schools can dissolve the conference? I think ESPN also might have some legal issues with that.
Every article and msg board via google and even North Carolina law says you need over 50%. I haven't seen anything definitively saying it's more. And it wouldn't be less for obvious reasons.

Is it 12? Is it 10?

Ironically, if FSU leaves, it will be a radical change to revenue in the ACC.

Let the FSU big mouths talk, ignore them. Pay attention to the FSU board and true leaders. They are not even speaking of leaving as they have analyzed the GOR and know better. They will remain silent and then will not be overly plain, that is until the mid 2030's when the ACC TV deal will be up for renewal. Only then will real action on the part of FSU occur.

Looks like they have shown how idiotic they are on the Board too.

“Remaining competitive” means moving to a conference where they’ll never be competitive.

All these conferences/schools are liars. They don’t care about education or student-athletes. They only care about money for the university. Other than the schools moving to the B12, those moves are actually logical. All recent moves to B10 or SEC, going back to Rutgers/UMD, are about money only. And I get it but these schools don’t care at all about winning because they have almost zero chance to be successful when they move to the B10 or SEC.

“Remaining competitive” means moving to a conference where they’ll never be competitive.

All these conferences/schools are liars. They don’t care about education or student-athletes. They only care about money for the university. Other than the schools moving to the B12, those moves are actually logical. All recent moves to B10 or SEC, going back to Rutgers/UMD, are about money only. And I get it but these schools don’t care at all about winning because they have almost zero chance to be successful when they move to the B10 or SEC.
Substitute all those schools with Syracuse. We did the same exact thing and destroyed the big east in the peocess

It’s the business we are in but we all are dominos in the most craven self destructive college experiment ever

If FSU actually had a way out, there’s no way they go through todays dog and pony show. They’d be packing up a mayflower truck at 1am and leaving a sticky note on Phillips’ desk.
Bingo. It’s a weak negotiating play and they’re hoping it pushes the conference into doing something. If they had ammo, they wouldn’t do this.

Bingo. It’s a weak negotiating play and they’re hoping it pushes the conference into doing something. If they had ammo, they wouldn’t do this.
I think it steels about 10 of the schools to come together.

The only schools with better options are FSU, Miami, Clemson, UNC. Duke and UVA might be a tag along...but by themselves no.

UNC is the kingmaker in the ACC...would they give that up?

I think it steels about 10 of the schools to come together.

The only schools with better options are FSU, Miami, Clemson, UNC. Duke and UVA might be a tag along...but by themselves no.

UNC is the kingmaker in the ACC...would they give that up?
At this point no one is thinking rationally anymore. It’s all about money and no king making.

To me it’s all foolish brinksmanship that if we were given the option to
Leave for more money we would do
The same thing.

Only school who has operated out of an absolute financial end game is nd. Its a fact they have left money on the table

I’m not exactly sure what we are witnessing here, unless they know something we don’t about the grant of rights, this is essentially like watching a four-year-old have a hissy fit because they can’t have an ice cream.
The FSU Head Trustee thinks they have a way forward. He was smug thinking other schools don't deserve an equal share.

A couple random thoughts.

1- This is a message board. Speculation and hypothesizing is what fuels it. I think that if you enter a thread about realignment you need to expect it. If wild ideas and concepts, along with realignment-driven anxiety, are not your jam, I'd probably find a more concrete thread to visit.

2- As most of you know, I now follow Arizona football pretty closely and have been paying close attention to how they react here. IMO the PAC-12 deal is pretty shite. Massive dependency on subscribers for teams to make any real $. I suspect Arizona knows it's best path forward is taking the guaranteed $31 mill per year from the Big 12 (which is a solid deal albeit not near the two big conferences). But they also don't want to be the ones solely responsible for "killing" the Big-12, so they likely want to get ASU and Utah on board as well. Last night the AZ board of regents held a special executive session (oversees Arizona and ASU) purportedly to discuss this. We will see what happens.

IMO, Arizona, ASU, and Utah are going to opt to join the Big 12, ultimately ending the PAC-12 as we know it.

3- I don't know what the best path forward for the ACC is but as I see it, the answer is not sitting idly and doing nothing. That doesn't mean overreact, but certainly consider all options. If the PAC-12 dissolves I would absolutely be reaching out to the PAC-12 leftovers and exploring a western division of teams including a half dozen or so of the western schools. I'm not saying I definitely add them as it only works if the dollars work (and they may not want to anyway) but you really do need to kick the tires on all options right now. As it stands, if (and likely when) the PAC-12 falls, the ACC is probably the 4th out of 4 major football conferences remaining. Not an emergency, not even a short term problem, but definitely and intermediate- and long-term concern. And waiting till it is an emergency will ultimately result in the fate that befell the PAC-12.

Again, just my take.
If the so called Corner 4 bolt...the B1G would grab UW, UO, and maybe Stanford and Cal.

We want nothing to do with the leftovers. We are better off inviting Yukon and USF at half shares until 2030 or so.

ACC Refs getting ready for FSU games
nodding-yes.gif

At the very least, the ACC should try to pick up X-number of OOC games each year with the Pac-12 remnant in order to upgrade the ACC schedules.
Playing out West (3 time zones) is tough. I'd keep it flexible and try to set up games opening weekend.

Everyone has a plan until they get hit in the head. The FSU Head is in for a big surprise.
Likewise, no battle plan survives first contact with the enemy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom