ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 131 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

In a way I can understand why FSU is doing this I mean the ACC has not been very proactive in adding teams like these other conferences. Washington and Oregon and even Stanford should have been added by now and a call should have been made to Penn State. it’s very frustrating. Yes I am assuming this hasn’t been done yet because the Big Ten looks like they will be adding more teams
Again I ask you why would Penn State leave the Big 10 for the ACC? Why? Why? Why??

to be fair, we don't know what is going on behind the scenes, maybe we asked and they declined

Yes I’ll give you that might be true but why else would FSU be coming out so publicly about this if that were the case. This all could be squashed by ND

The conference realignment process really shows how football drives the bus. Stanford has won 26 Director’s Cups (given to the college Athletics program with the most success). Texas has the next most wins with 2. Yet, nobody is talking about what a great add Stanford would be for their conference.

I’m not exactly sure what we are witnessing here, unless they know something we don’t about the grant of rights, this is essentially like watching a four-year-old have a hissy fit because they can’t have an ice cream.
I like FSU more the previous 7 years when they were getting their teeth kicked in by everyone except us. One good year and they act like they are Bama. That community college masquerading as a university can’t fail fast enough for me.

I am just surprised by the opinions that people genuinely believe that ACC leaders have not done any due diligence into pretty much the majority of permutations that are being suggested. I mean that to me just seems bonkers. Maybe I am missing something but if the data and facts the ACC has (which presumably includes inputs from ESPN) suggests there would be NO incremental value, why would they add teams? If you think just making the ACC bigger somehow protects, don't you think that scenario has not been vetted as well? Again maybe I am missing something but people suggesting we should look at this or that must think 5 year old kids are running the show.
Also FSU can smoke a turd in Hell. They are not going anywhere anytime soon unless they cut a big @$$ check.

It is kind of funny that FSU wants to leave for their $30M payout per year, but at the same time claim they are worth much more than that. If it goes to court wouldn’t FSU’s true value come out and force them to pay 2x more than they want? They don’t have a leg to stand on. I hope the ACC doesn’t cave in any way for these kooks.

Why does everyone think by adding teams it would add more money. Don’t you think they would have done it? Reason why the ACC hasn’t expanded is because the teams available don’t bring added value. It’s pretty simple. Outside of ND which will never join the ACC, the teams from the Big 12 or the Pac12 add nothing to the bottom line

I am just surprised by the opinions that people genuinely believe that ACC leaders have not done any due diligence into pretty much the majority of permutations that are being suggested. I mean that to me just seems bonkers. Maybe I am missing something but if the data and facts the ACC has (which presumably includes inputs from ESPN) suggests there would be NO incremental value, why would they add teams? If you think just making the ACC bigger somehow protects, don't you think that scenario has not been vetted as well? Again maybe I am missing something but people suggesting we should look at this or that must think 5 year old kids are running the show.
Also FSU can smoke a turd in Hell. They are not going anywhere anytime soon unless they cut a big @$$ check.

There us strength in numbers. Even at pro rata the ACC is better off growing than waiting for an increase in TV.

The ACC has 15 members. Try getting a family of four to all agree on where to go for dinner and then think about the ACC trying to expand. Our ACC journey is a perfect example of that. As is the failure of the PAC to raid the B12. It happens.

Looks like endgame for the PAC 12 is inching closer

Two part session to allow for AZ and ASU's Presidents to seek Big 12 membership as well as ensure there is no legal complication to it.

If they seek admission Thursday, Big 12 will likely vote to accept on Friday.

Why does everyone think by adding teams it would add more money. Don’t you think they would have done it? Reason why the ACC hasn’t expanded is because the teams available don’t bring added value. It’s pretty simple. Outside of ND which will never join the ACC, the teams from the Big 12 or the Pac12 add nothing to the bottom line

it's all nonsensical. two brands are making more per team than everyone else. everything else is moving deck chairs. if the ACC added 4 more teams and every team in the ACC got 4mm per year, FSU still would want to move.

I would gather if ND decided to join for football tomorrow, FSU still is looking to leave because on an absolute basis, they still wouldn't make as much as Florida.

Ive dealt with arses like the blowhole from FSU in business my whole life.
They sign a contract, they're happy something changes and now they want out UNLESS the change is in their favor which of course they never complain about.
The reality is that the ACC is in good shape. Not as good as the SEC or Big but solid. This bunch of blowhard fools need to put up or shut up. If im the Commissioner im in that arses ear this morning telling him to get in line or take his shot. Im also telling him that the league will not settle. The only way he gets to take his horse and Spear out of the league is with a full payment in accordance to the agreement.
Simply put i wouldn’t appease him id threaten him.

Wrong way to think. You can expand for stability if it preserves the same TV payout per team. Washington and Oregon are worth more than $30M. Arizona State and Stanford are worth at least $30M. Cal is worth less but the average of those 5 is above. It won’t put more money in SU’s pocket but it makes the conference stronger.

Wouldn't adding more teams allow for a re-opening of the media deal broadly? In other words, while likely not a game changing dollar figure, wouldn't it allow for them to try to seek at least a modest bump per team from ESPN? Note- I know its totally possible ESPN says no given their current financials.

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding this too

Wrong way to think. You can expand for stability if it preserves the same TV payout per team. Washington and Oregon are worth more than $30M. Arizona State and Stanford are worth at least $30M. Cal is worth less but the average of those 5 is above. It won’t put more money in SU’s pocket but it makes the conference stronger.
Those are your opinions on values, not sure the market agrees with you or the contract they were just offered would have been closer to those figures. You assume the teams will get equal value or more. Market says otherwise which why it wasn’t done.

You’re just making up random numbers that don’t even make sense based on the recent deal they were offered by Apple. Based on your calculations they should be able to get close to B10 and SEC numbers with just 4 schools, not even counting the value of the rest of the schools. Ridiculous post really.

It can also reduce stability. Putting together two flailing entities doesn't necessarily produce one stable one.

Ive dealt with arses like the blowhole from FSU in business my whole life.
They sign a contract, they're happy something changes and now they want out UNLESS the change is in their favor which of course they never complain about.
The reality is that the ACC is in good shape. Not as good as the SEC or Big but solid. This bunch of blowhard fools need to put up or shut up. If im the Commissioner im in that arses ear this morning telling him to get in line or take his shot. Im also telling him that the league will not settle. The only way he gets to take his horse and Spear out of the league is with a full payment in accordance to the agreement.
Simply put i wouldn’t appease him id threaten him.
I'm sure in your business the top producers get all kinds of privileges and preferential treatment and enhanced income.

I'm sure in your business the top producers get all kinds of privileges and preferential treatment and enhanced income.
No in my business everyone gets paid based on the contract they sign. I have signed contracts with Microsoft as an example that didn't provide anywhere near the margin, I thought we would make. Guess what i ate it and honored the contract. I have also signed contracts where I made more than anticipated. My point is simple you honor the contract unless it is truly damaging your business. In the case of FSU, they are doing fine. Greed is the issue, not being damaged or not being paid in accordance with the contract they willingly agreed to. IN fact, the agreement they entered into has been increased since the signing date not decreased. No this is greed plain and simple and it is short sighted by a bunch of petulant children who need to be dealt with firmly by the commissioner. He needs in very clear terms to tell everyone that the league will do everything in its power to add revenue that it is looking and has looked into all options and that it will enforce the agreement the GOR. The schools agreed to this deal and pounding their spear on the table in public need to be dealt with and dealt with very clearly by the commissioner. He can't let the tantrum of one member create the narrative. Plain and simple.

The conference realignment process really shows how football drives the bus. Stanford has won 26 Director’s Cups (given to the college Athletics program with the most success). Texas has the next most wins with 2. Yet, nobody is talking about what a great add Stanford would be for their conference.
Agree. What makes it even worse is that Stanford's Directors Cup wins are largely driven by its women's teams. They build up huge point total leads and have to hope the men's teams don't blow it. It's akin to a long-distance relay race in which the 3rd runner hands over a 15-second lead to the anchor runner, who only wins by 5 seconds.

Agree. What makes it even worse is that Stanford's Directors Cup wins are largely driven by its women's teams. They build up huge point total leads and have to hope the men's teams don't blow it. It's akin to a long-distance relay race in which the 3rd runner hands over a 15-second lead to the anchor runner, who only wins by 5 seconds.
Hey, don't sell the men's teams short. Their water polo and men's gymnastics teams are second to none.

Stanford also supports 16 Men's and 20 Women's sports.

Since 1948, either the USA or the Soviets have won the most Summer Olympic Medals every time because they have enough athletes to enter every single event (China won in 2008 because they had home communist advantage).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom