ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Golf is the perfect sport to add.
Make Boeheim the coach it’s fine.
It’s not a lot of scholarships so the cost won’t be a lot and we could add both genders together.

An even 20 varsity sports is perfect.
And all high schools have golf teams, don't have to spend a lot of money on recruiting. A lot of good players in reasonable distance.

It’s embarrassing not to have baseball. Every school in CNY and further has baseball. Add baseball and whatever sport(s) are needed on the female side to maintain title 9 compliance.
In a state with such baseball heritage too...Cooperstown, Yankees. Make this happen. Doesn't have to be a crazy facility to start...just playing ACC and D1 will bring in good players.

The alliance will start out as two things.

A voting block and scheduling. The leagues will vote together and form a majority consensus on playoffs, compliance, NIL, transfer rules ect. The money will come via the scheduling which will feature not only in season match ups but bowl match ups and exclusivity as to non conf games.

Game Set Match.
Not sure how many on here know Greg but he is a good guy. Auburn kid with a Skan camp. Super smart and a very nice person. It will be interesting to see how this all ends up but it's definitely going to end as I stated previously in New governance and cross league games. This is very good for the ACC and SU.

Wildhack has shown he’s happy to move a Syracuse coach to another job if it’s their “dream job”.

Perhaps JB now dreams of the simplicity of coaching golf again?

I can already hear him… “we just didn’t make enough shots”.
“It’s an easy game when the ball goes in the cup”. ;)
Or...we played well. We were in a zone...

This seems to be a key passage...

Perhaps the bigger question facing the alliance, however, is one of philosophy. According to multiple administrators directly involved in conversations, the advent of new name, image and likeness rules and the emphatic Supreme Court ruling in the Alston case have many schools concerned about the future of athlete compensation. As one AD noted, the SEC seems to have made its plans for the future known by adding Texas and Oklahoma in "a money grab," and the immediate conversations among alliance members will hinge on questions of whether there's another way forward that holds truer to the historic view of amateurism -- both in the short and long term.

Take this along with the talk about academic fit and it seems like the Alliance doesn't want to follow the semi-pro path of the SEC. I think we're heading into a zone of diminishing returns when it comes to college athletics. If the future is ADs with budgets as large as the medical or professional schools on campuses, the Alliance might decide ultimately that it's time to cut bait and settle for athletic competition at a lower level. I'd be fine with that because the alternative is the eventual gutting of the university's academic mission for the sake of athletics.
Not plainly stated is the fact that with three conferences and 41 teams academic standards may be enforced. Most SEC schools cannot maintain a semblance of football dominance without less than academic standard athletes. While this may sound elitist it isn't because the true mission of all colleges and universities is academics.

Sadly, most kids can be academically successful but once they are noted as athletes they are no longer pushed in academics.

I think this crystallizes a kind of weird imbalance.

I think most fans see college football as a national sport with a regional interest. I think SEC fans believe so much in their regional and sometimes national dominance that they believe that the SEC is CFB.

This alliance should help test that theory.

Men’s tennis and women’s water polo would be very cheap

Water Polo? Only if they already had a full built aquatic center. Pools (and there would be multiple of them) and their facilities are not cheap to maintain.

Men’s tennis and women’s water polo would be very cheap.

Where you gonna play Water Polo? Nottingham HS?

An Olympic sized pool is 50 m long x 10 lanes wide (although they only use the middle 8 lanes).

SU used to have a pool at Archbold that was 25 m long x 6 lanes wide. But it was removed in the renovation since we dropped Swimming over a decade ago.

An Olympic sized pool is 50 m long x 10 lanes wide (although they only use the middle 8 lanes).

SU used to have a pool at Archbold that was 25 m long x 6 lanes wide. But it was removed in the renovation since we dropped Swimming over a decade ago.

Lake Onondaga. ;)

I’m getting ready to invoke the smoke/fire rule when it comes to scheduling and ND’s independence.
There are now SEC blowhards showing that they have become the Big Ten type people to a perfect T by asserting that the SEC now just might be able to gobble up Notre Dame.

To be fair to them, they have seen a bunch of ND fans whoring ND the way we've seen here: if ND ever goes for full football membership, it will do so for the highest pay.

That is ND fans sounding like BT whores, and now the SEC is same type money-first whores.

Women’s Building used to have a pool. Not sure if the size is adequate or not for water polo.

Water Polo? Only if they already had a full built aquatic center. Pools (and there would be multiple of them) and their facilities are not cheap to maintain.

We don’t have a pool any more? Didn’t we have a swim program not that long ago?

Scratch water polo. Tennis and golf are pretty cheap.

Hartwick had D1 waterpolo for a bit. Went to the final four one year. I figured if Hartwick could pull off D1 water polo, then you would think Syracuse would have the facility for it. And Hartwick chose it because it was cheap to do.

I have a pool in my backyard. I’d sit on my deck and cheer.

Which teams on the SEC side of the ledger would you throw out? Texas, the largest grossing brand with the most money to pay NIL? A&M who stole Jimbo away from FSU? Auburn, they're always right there with Bama and LSU. The others are all recent National Champions. There is a reason why the SEC sends by far the most recruits to the NFL.
They pay the best

Great post. Spot on
It’s embarrassing not to have baseball. Every school in CNY and further has baseball. Add baseball and whatever sport(s) are needed on the female side to maintain title 9 compliance.
Personally, I think its more embarrassing to be a city of 150 inches of snow a year but have no men's hockey team. Playing baseball during the standard college season, which this year ran from Feb 12, 2021 – Jun 30, 2021, has the potential to be a disaster for the first half of the season.

BC, for example, played a heavy road slate early but by mid March, they were playing a very heavy slate at home. It is often still snowing in Syracuse in March.

That being said, I understand that baseball is probably a more natural fit with the conference. I'd do hockey but they may go that way.

Personally, I think its more embarrassing to be a city of 150 inches of snow a year but have no men's hockey team. Playing baseball during the standard college season, which this year ran from Feb 12, 2021 – Jun 30, 2021, has the potential to be a disaster for the first half of the season.

BC, for example, played a heavy road slate early but by mid March, they were playing a very heavy slate at home. It is often still snowing in Syracuse in March.

That being said, I understand that baseball is probably a more natural fit with the conference. I'd do hockey but they may go that way.

every other school in CNY does it.

Wrestling is the 1st sport I would vote for.

add 2 women’s, just bring back wrestling.

Just don't show up to watch in your singlet.

But yeah, that would be ideal and low cost next to baseball and hockey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom