ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 155 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

My personal opinions on all of this. The SEC has a plan, they’ve been very strategic in all of this. They haven’t added teams like Rutgers, MD or Washington that add no real value to the league other than being punching bags for the conference.

I think the B10 has a preoccupation with the SEC. They want to grow in size and be “the” league in CFB. I said that a long time ago in the conference realignment type threads. Picking teams off in the west just solidifies that thought for me even more. They can’t beat the SEC in championship games typically but they can try to outmuscle them in sheer conference size. Everyone laughs at B10 for adding MD and Rutgers, even B10 fans. But the conference did it anyway. Diluting their product. That’s why I think their expansion is largely because of their insecurity with the SEC.

The SEC up to this point is the best conference in CFB. They don’t need to make any rash moves the way some of the B10 moves have felt like, to me anyway. BUT with the moves this week, I think they may begin to look at options. ACC and SEC are tied to ESPN. All 3 groups have a lot to lose, especially ESPN and the ACC.

As I said yesterday. When I look at the new map of where the B10 schools are across the country and visualize the B12. If I’m the SEC, it’s clear the B10’s next move is moving into SEC “territory”. Maybe not for 10 years but if I’m the SEC, I’m starting to make plans to prevent the B10 from doing that.

It would be impossible for the SEC to keep the B18 out of the South. The SEC isn't taking FSU, Miami, and USF. They aren't taking GA Tech. They aren't taking all 3 NC schools and both of the VA schools. On top of that the ACC schools need to want the SEC over the B18, which in most cases is the opposite.

Yes, I agree. The big 12 will look east for their next round of expansion. I’m just concerned Syracuse will be in the running for one of the last spots if they end at 20 teams because Pitt and Louisville are certainly ahead of us.

Then there is Virginia Tech in NC State if they don’t go to the SEC. They would also be ahead of us.

Duke and Georgia tech if they don’t go to the big 10. They will also be ahead of us.

It’s entirely possible, we end up back in the big east and part of a modified AAC conference for football. It all really depends on how large the Big Ten, SEC, and big 12 want to get.
I still see
Do you think that adding Arizona or Utah or Texas Tech would make the ACC any less vulnerable? This is a confusing line of thinking.

I think adding those teams would bring value simply because of the markets they would bring and how they are respectable in football and basketball basketball more for Arizona but who wouldn’t want Arizona basketball in their league with all its history? That’s crazy

That is true but not when the money is about equal between the SEC and B10. All other deals have been a result of leaving for far more money. Clemson isn’t going to choose the SEC over the B10 for money, it’s about the same. Clemson will pick the SEC for geography and cultural fit because they can. Rutgers didn’t have that choice.
I think they'll go where they have a better chance of winning. In that case, the B1G is better for them. Ohio St. and Michigan aren't as scary as Alabama, Georgia, LSU and sometimes Florida.

Last edited:
The Big 10's issue is they have this primetime deal with NBC now for a long time, and none of the traditional BIG 10 schools want to play night games. Also, they have to pay FOX back $40 mill because they promised the BIG 10 Championship game in 2026 to NBC but FOX had that game locked up and Fox was like, you gave away our game, reimburse us and pay us that money. So, the Big 10 lost money there they weren't prepared for. So the NBC/FOX/CBS relationship wasn't well thought out and it has been a bumpy road.

So adding the teams from the West Coast solves the Big 10's NBC problem moving forward with night games and makes one of their media partners very happy. They aren't just randomly adding teams; there is a method to their madness.

From ESPN: "Multiple sources told ESPN there's been pushback from a number of schools, including Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State, to play those late-November night games under the new contract. That leaves Petitti to figure out how to uphold a deal for hundreds of millions of dollars for primetime games without cooperation from some of the league's marquee teams for part of the regular season's most important month.

Athletic departments and coaches around the Big Ten say they were surprised November night games would be part of the deal. They weren't asked for permission to play them prior to the deal or informed of the change ahead of the deal, according to sources. At the same time, NBC wasn't aware until well after the initial contract was signed this summer that these big-brand schools had historic tolerances that were part of the prior television arrangements and would resist being available.

"NBC was surprised, and I was surprised," said Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel. "We had not discussed, and I had not discussed with anyone in the league to change the tolerances we had agreed upon years ago."

Within the industry, though, there was an expectation that, considering the scope of the deal, all schools would play in prime time.
"The fault here is with the administrators on campus," said another industry source. "How did the presidents, chancellors and athletic directors not know this? The universities all signed off on the deal."

While this is being worked through, Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan State recently agreed to concessions to make short-term sacrifices to help the league make up for some lost revenue from the NBC deal."
The reason the Big 10 doesn't like playing night games is because the weather can turn real nasty in the midwest in October and November. If, Syracuse was brought into the league, they would be ecstatic to schedule night games late in the season or early in the season. Good work Stern.

The Big 10's issue is they have this primetime deal with NBC now for a long time, and none of the traditional BIG 10 schools want to play night games. Also, they have to pay FOX back $40 mill because they promised the BIG 10 Championship game in 2026 to NBC but FOX had that game locked up and Fox was like, you gave away our game, reimburse us and pay us that money. So, the Big 10 lost money there they weren't prepared for. So the NBC/FOX/CBS relationship wasn't well thought out and it has been a bumpy road.

So adding the teams from the West Coast solves the Big 10's NBC problem moving forward with night games and makes one of their media partners very happy. They aren't just randomly adding teams; there is a method to their madness.

From ESPN: "Multiple sources told ESPN there's been pushback from a number of schools, including Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State, to play those late-November night games under the new contract. That leaves Petitti to figure out how to uphold a deal for hundreds of millions of dollars for primetime games without cooperation from some of the league's marquee teams for part of the regular season's most important month.

Athletic departments and coaches around the Big Ten say they were surprised November night games would be part of the deal. They weren't asked for permission to play them prior to the deal or informed of the change ahead of the deal, according to sources. At the same time, NBC wasn't aware until well after the initial contract was signed this summer that these big-brand schools had historic tolerances that were part of the prior television arrangements and would resist being available.

"NBC was surprised, and I was surprised," said Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel. "We had not discussed, and I had not discussed with anyone in the league to change the tolerances we had agreed upon years ago."

Within the industry, though, there was an expectation that, considering the scope of the deal, all schools would play in prime time.
"The fault here is with the administrators on campus," said another industry source. "How did the presidents, chancellors and athletic directors not know this? The universities all signed off on the deal."

While this is being worked through, Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan State recently agreed to concessions to make short-term sacrifices to help the league make up for some lost revenue from the NBC deal."

I forgot about all of that. I should have also worded what I wrote better, kind of just wrote it on a whim. I think the west coast moves by the B10 are brilliant in general. They’ve now added more schools with recognizable names even if recent success hasn’t been there. They’re still brand schools. But in general, I personally believe one main goal of expansion for the B10 going way back, is trying to outmuscle the SEC in total geographical landscape and become seen as “the” premier conference.

They already made that decision 40 years ago when they followed the Big East and the leaders of that conference bet on basketball. Fast forward to today, the football program is not great and basketball is in transition at best?
I guess. Big East and ACC were fits for us.

The Big Ten and the SEC are not we might not win a single game if we are in those leagues most years. Big 12 would be OK for hoops and FB if we end up there. But I want to go back to the Big East and then put FB in the also ran conference with Wake forest and ECU or whatever comes of the ACC also rans.

We were set back decades because we never embraced having a climate controlled Dome and never tried to have an offense first FB program. This is actually going to be the first season in over 20 years where I'd consider WRs a strength and above average for our conference heading into the year.

NC State game is on ACCN right now Shrader really wasn't good in that one TBH.

I'm at the point where I'm hoping the SEC feels they need to branch out into the Northeast. I'm fine with being a punching bag in all sports except for basketball, lacrosse, soccer, cross-country, and rowing.

It would be impossible for the SEC to keep the B18 out of the South. The SEC isn't taking FSU, Miami, and USF. They aren't taking GA Tech. They aren't taking all 3 NC schools and both of the VA schools. On top of that the ACC schools need to want the SEC over the B18, which in most cases is the opposite.

This post was expected. The SEC takes FSU and already has Florida. So the B10 takes USF and Miami. Who won. Just because the B10 can pick up a college within a state doesn’t mean they’re really “in the state”. USF is going to be the school to compete for tv ratings with Florida and FSU……..

Yes, I agree. The big 12 will look east for their next round of expansion. I’m just concerned Syracuse will be in the running for one of the last spots if they end at 20 teams because Pitt and Louisville are certainly ahead of us.

Then there is Virginia Tech in NC State if they don’t go to the SEC. They would also be ahead of us.

Duke and Georgia tech if they don’t go to the big 10. They will also be ahead of us.

It’s entirely possible, we end up back in the big east and part of a modified AAC conference for football. It all really depends on how large the Big Ten, SEC, and big 12 want to get.

If I’m being honest, the only ACC teams we are ahead of as far as super conference desirability is Boston College and Wake Forest
Why would Duke and GT be ahead of Syracuse? Duke has a trash football brand and GT hasn’t been relevant for as long as Syracuse. Syracuses fan base is much larger than GT and doesn’t butt up against the much more lucrative Georgia brand. Picking up GT doesn’t win you any additional market share and interest.

BC dominated this trash league in football for 6-7 years. They won 10 games every year until Clemson got good.

UNC and Miami being perennial frauds and always losing 6 games is what crippled the league.
They doomed themselves with division setup.

Why wouldn't you want to have FSU / Clemson championship game?

I think they'll go where they have a better chance of winning. In that case, the B1G is better for them. Ohio St. and Michigan arena as scary as Alabama, Georgia, LSU and sometimes Florida.

I don’t personally think that’s a factor for Clemson. No other schools has stayed in their current conference or chose one conference over another b/c the path to winning was easier. Every school that has joined the B10 or SEC recently has made their path to winning at a high level even more difficult. Clemson has been to National championships and beaten SEC teams. I don’t think they’re picking the B10 over the SEC because the path might be easier.

It wasn’t a stroke of genius. At the time, BIG had last pick and ended up with Rutgers. Rutgers would’ve jumped into the sinking Titanic if it had the offer. Snooki is no genius.

Syracuse, Pitt had already been selected by ACC. BIG wasn’t going to take a couch burning institution like WVU or a school that doesn’t believe in academics like Louisville.
Bingo, it’s like people forgot how everything shook out. Rutgers was taken because they were the last available

This post was expected. The SEC takes FSU and already has Florida. So the B10 takes USF and Miami. Who won. Just because the B10 can pick up a college within a state doesn’t mean they’re really “in the state”. USF is going to be the school to compete for tv ratings with Florida and FSU……..

FSU long term in the SEC likely falls as a program. The other 2 being in the B18 have the potential to rise above FSU. But more importantly, it opens Florida recruiting for the other B18 schools. A lot easier getting a kid to leave Florida when you have games in Miami, Tampa, Atlanta than when the closest team is in Maryland.

The B18 moving South wouldn't be about winning over a State but having the State as part of the B18 footprint.

Here's our chance: Add Stanford and Cal as football-only memebers to the ACC.

They can figure out what to do with all their other sports regionally.

They doomed themselves with division setup.

Why wouldn't you want to have FSU / Clemson championship game?
Yup.

Still haven't played Miami in the Dome in an ACC game. Garbage league we lose a couple games every year to the crooked refs. If Clemson doesn't have their run its no better than the AAC.

It's very silly that you have to play all the same teams in every sport. The sabres play Montreal and the bills play Kansas City and no one cares even though it's the same people rooting for both teams

Softball players flying thousands of miles is idiotic, who cares if it makes sense for the football team

It’s kind of fun watching all these liberal college presidents forming a monopoly, isn’t it?

“People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices.”​

Adam Smith, Wealth of Nations

College presidents/chancellors are no longer primarily academics. Rather, their first responsibility in this new world is fundraising. That's how it is in a capitalist system. It's been that way for a while. The current upheaval has just made it more apparent.

Why would Duke and GT be ahead of Syracuse? Duke has a trash football brand and GT hasn’t been relevant for as long as Syracuse. Syracuses fan base is much larger than GT and doesn’t butt up against the much more lucrative Georgia brand. Picking up GT doesn’t win you any additional market share and interest.
GT with SEC or BT money? No telling what it could become once again, because GA has more talent than all the northeastern states combined.

Here's our chance: Add Stanford and Cal as football-only memebers to the ACC.

They can figure out what to do with all their other sports regionally.
I think the P12 minus the schools that just left but with Boise, SD State, and the Nevada schools will be a good league.

It will be f ed up if there legit isn't a west coast conference should the rest of them get poached.

Cal and Stanford aren't going to help the ACC at all it'll be a joke and they are academic first institutions sending non revenue programs across the country would be moronic.

FSU long term in the SEC likely falls as a program. The other 2 being in the B18 have the potential to rise above FSU. But more importantly, it opens Florida recruiting for the other B18 schools. A lot easier getting a kid to leave Florida when you have games in Miami, Tampa, Atlanta than when the closest team is in Maryland.

The B18 moving South wouldn't be about winning over a State but having the State as part of the B18 footprint.

USF has the potential to rise up in the B10…… you’re cut off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom