ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 177 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

The Big 12 is mostly make up of large state flagship schools; in states where football is a genuine passion. The remnants of the vulture picked ACC will consist of mostly mid to small private schools, in states that don't really care about college football. Don't think we need to call in Sherlock Holmes for this one.
“The Big 12 is mostly make up of large state flagship schools”
—this isn’t true at all. After Texas and Oklahoma leave, Kansas will be the only state flagship university left, until the Four Corner schools join.

So all their sports but football would have to be independent? That makes it hard to get into the NCAA tournaments as an at large only. But they would have little trouble scheduling their non-FB sports against old Pac12 members or other regional colleges. Also, maybe it would make sense to have them in the ACC for mens basketball and baseball.

What they bring is late night football programming for the ACC, the very same thing the B1G is bragging about now. One of those schools could be playing at home almost every Saturday night of the season.
Cal / Stanford / Utah / Az / ASU would have been nice as a 5 team contingent because then you could move to 20 teams overall and do 5 team pods with crossover. That way the west coast teams are playing half their conference schedule on the west coast.

Now to do that it’s Cal / Stanford / Wa St / Oregon St / San Diego St. Other than considering UNLV probably the best you’re going to do with a west coast pod.

Cal / Stanford / Utah / Az / ASU would have been nice as a 5 team contingent because then you could move to 20 teams overall and do 5 team pods with crossover. That way the west coast teams are playing half their conference schedule on the west coast.

Now to do that it’s Cal / Stanford / Wa St / Oregon St / San Diego St. Other than considering UNLV probably the best you’re going to do with a west coast pod.
If Cal and Stanford join the conference for football, I could see the schedule work out where they each play 7 ACC teams, than play each other and Notre Dame for a 9 game “conference” schedule.

The original 14 ACC teams would be in a 3+ 5/5 scheduling model plus Stanford or Cal. 4 ACC teams would also play Notre Dame annually.

The hope is that ESPN will pay more for broadcasting on the West Coast every week and additional Notre Dame/ACC inventory by going to 9 conference games. If Cal and Stanford come in at a 60% equity share that would mean extra money for everyone else. Someone should pitch to Saudi Arabia sovereign wealth fund about having regular season games in Riyadh for additional cash flow.

Last edited:
I wonder if Olympic travel costs drain the value from positive to negative.
Could be. That might account for the wide range for impact on revenue.

Also wonder if they were planning to give the P12 schools full shares. And what the travel costs would be with 2 or 4 west coast teams instead of 8 or 10.

Gotta be a lot lower for the original ACC schools. And a lot higher for the P12 schools.

Stanford is one of if not the best combination of academics and athletics in the country. They have one of the largest endowments on the planet. Their alumni are corporate global leaders. In my opinion having Stanford in the ACC is a home run on multiple fronts and provides enormous clout for the league as college athletics evolve. They would be a tremendous addition.

Could be. That might account for the wide range for impact on revenue.

Also wonder if they were planning to give the P12 schools full shares. And what the travel costs would be with 2 or 4 west coast teams instead of 8 or 10.

Gotta be a lot lower for the original ACC schools. And a lot higher for the P12 schools.
To your point, the following article notes that the B1G offered Washington and Oregon loans up to $10MM/ year against future earnings to cover travel.

Though, I assume their travel costs were already significant flying up and down the Pacific coast.

At this point I just want football to be its own thing. Let the other sports play actual same region teams as in the past.

The SEC is the only conference that has done it right. They are making bank and they make geographical sense. They are going to get into NC and Virginia eventually and call it a day.
IMG_4943.png

The FSU AD flat out rigged the ACC $$ data for the first outburst a few months ago. He is appealing to the idiot FB insecure Trustees.
FSU saber rattling led to buy in for the unequal revenue sharing concept that has now been accepted. Latest saber rattling is an attempt to increase their share of that distribution. If you feed a dog when it barks, it will keep barking.

The SEC is the only conference that has done it right. They are making bank and they make geographical sense. They are going to get into NC and Virginia eventually and call it a day.View attachment 229979
Just look at that map and tell me how Syracuse in the future would not be a logical addition to the B10. Given their decision on the 4 west coast additions though, I still think they add two more from that region(s) just for logical and sustainable footprint.

Just look at that map and tell me how Syracuse in the future would not be a logical addition to the B10. Given their decision on the 4 west coast additions though, I still think they add two more from that region(s) just for logical and sustainable footprint.

When I look at the map the Big should bypass 24 and go to 28 (4 divisions of 7). Stanford, Utah, Colorado, Syracuse, BC, UVA, NC, Clemson, GT, and then one of FSU or Miami.

Last edited:
FSU saber rattling led to buy in for the unequal revenue sharing concept that has now been accepted. Latest saber rattling is an attempt to increase their share of that distribution. If you feed a dog when it barks, it will keep barking.
They didn't like the change the ACC made, where the teams that do the best get the most revenue. That doesn't help them because they rarely win championships.

They just want a double share because they handpicked a the viewership of a subset of football games that made them look good. 'We deserve this because we are FSU.'

I hate them and their clown college too.

I never heard that about Hopkins, BUT THE ACC ALREADY HAS ND FOR ALL SPORTS EXCEPT FOOTBALL. I always thought Hopkins went to the B1G to be part of the B1G academic consortium.
They went to the B1G because Maryland asked them to join so the conference would qualify for the NCAA autobid. Hopkins fans have told me there was zero chance they'd join the ACC, especially after Maryland asked them.

Stanford is one of if not the best combination of academics and athletics in the country. They have one of the largest endowments on the planet. Their alumni are corporate global leaders. In my opinion having Stanford in the ACC is a home run on multiple fronts and provides enormous clout for the league as college athletics evolve. They would be a tremendous addition.
Hewlett Hall is right next to Packard Hall in Palo Alto.

They didn't like the change the ACC made, where the teams that do the best get the most revenue. That doesn't help them because they rarely win championships.

They just want a double share because they handpicked a the viewership of a subset of football games that made them look good. 'We deserve this because we are FSU.'

I hate them and their clown college too.
If FSU is able to get private equity money to leave the ACC, let them go. we can backfill with South Florida or UCF once the B12 GOR finishes.

If FSU is able to get private equity money to leave the ACC, let them go. we can backfill with South Florida or UCF once the B12 GOR finishes.
There will not be a PE backer. Where is the source of return for them? They likely cant lever up the school, no conference will agree to pay for FSU's rights, and Florida State wont payout a significant share of their media earnings to the PE firm because they are already concerned with the cash gap today.

So what value is there? IF a PE firm ends up covering 250M of FSU's expected costs then they would expect at least 375M in total returns within (at most) 7 years. Where does FS find that $80+/year. There are some dumb people in private equity, but they aren't dumb enough to think this deal has any upside value. Add to the fact they you will never be able to sell the rights again because the SEC/BIg Ten partner will own them going forward and you have an idea that is dead in the water.

This response isn't directed at you as much as the general internet ether, talking heads are freaking out but there is no deal here. JPMorgan is advising on this because it gets press and gives an MD an excuse to get in the ear of school presidents but the people acting like this is as good as Apollo or KKR coming in with a blank check are smoking crack.

If that happens, they’ll start jettisoning the steerage to stay afloat.
That would cause the Polititions to go nuts, and they would start looking into antitrust regulations, and oversight.
The conference commissioners don't want to get Congress involved.
Only bad things happen when Congress gets involved.

Totally agree. Despite the geographic weirdness I love the additions of Stanford/Cal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom