ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 218 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

I think the ACC has to expand by adding Stanford, Cal and SMU. They just have to figure out the pro rata share details with ESPN and then figure out what they’ll do with the additional money—assuming SMU forgoes any TV revenue for 5-7 years and Stanford and Cal receive reduced shares. I’m fine creating a pot of money that goes to the schools that garner the league’s highest TV ratings, which is what FSU and Clemson want, in addition to performance based enhancements. They need to figure it all out asap.

Another precinct heard from.

This is way too general a statement and commentary. An acquisition vs a strategic partnership are two wildly different things, especially in this case.

Disney has 80% of ESPN and Hearst has 20%. If Disney wants to retain a controlling stake, is it still smart for Apple to get in for about 25%? What would that look like?

If you're going to do real analysis, do it. This is content farming.

uconn isnt going to big12

So the B12 wouldn't take Cal? If they take Cal they are at 17 and need 1 more. The choices are UConn, Tulane, Memphis, USF, or San Diego State. UConn is the worst at FB but best at BBall. Also their TV market (Hartford) is about the same as San Diego and better than New Orleans and Memphis (USF takes the DMA cake). If their commissioner is really all in on BBall and being in the Northeast, he will push for UConn.

I think the ACC has to expand by adding Stanford, Cal and SMU. They just have to figure out the pro rata share details with ESPN and then figure out what they’ll do with the additional money—assuming SMU forgoes any TV revenue for 5-7 years and Stanford and Cal receive reduced shares. I’m fine creating a pot of money that goes to the schools that garner the league’s highest TV ratings, which is what FSU and Clemson want, in addition to performance based enhancements. They need to figure it all out asap.

As someone shared an article on here awhile ago after FSU’s temper tantrum. There’s no easy way to reward based on tv ratings. If you’re on bigger networks, in prime time slots and have a better matchups that year; more often than other teams. It’s not comparing apples to apples. Anyone who has ND or Clemson on NBC or ABC any particular year is going to at least have one game that is skewed b/c of the things I mentioned. The article, whatever page it’s on, did a good job of showing some teams are at a disadvantage in these situations especially in particular years.

It's not the ACC that the B1G is concerned about with Stan and Cal, it's the Big 12. Stan and Cal are down to desperation, Hail Mary time, and the Big 12 has 2 spots open and would take them for sure. It would be easy for Stan and Cal to see themselves in a league with 4 of their old conference friends. The B1G doesn't want that to happen because then the media market in California would have USC and UCLA as outsiders in Big 12 territory.

Last edited:
It's not the ACC that the B1G is concerned about with Stan and Cal, it's the Big 12. Stan and Cal are down to desperation, Hail Mary time, and the Big 12 has 2 spots open and would take them for sure. It would be easy for Stan and Cal to see themselves in a league with 4 of their old conference friends. The B1G doesn't want that to happen because then the media market in California would have USC and UCLA as outsiders in Big 12 territory.
The B1G isn't concerned with the Big 12 at all. If they wanted Cal and Stanford, they would already have taken them. Might they change their minds in the future, sure. But the Big 12 taking them won't be a concern.

The B1G isn't concerned with the Big 12 at all. If they wanted Cal and Stanford, they would already have taken them. Might they change their minds in the future, sure. But the Big 12 taking them won't be a concern.
If it was the ACC that the B1G was concerned with, they would done something before the ACC vote. Now, Cal and Stan have to find a spot and the Big 12 is with open arms. The amount of alumni that Cal, Stan, BYU, Utah, Colorado, Zona and ASU have in Los Angeles is enormous. That is where everyone in those states goes for the big league money.

If it was the ACC that the B1G was concerned with, they would done something before the ACC vote. Now, Cal and Stan have to find a spot and the Big 12 is with open arms. The amount of alumni that Cal, Stan, BYU, Utah, Colorado, Zona and ASU have in Los Angeles is enormous. That is where everyone in those states goes for the big league money.
I thought UConn was going to the Big 12? And the B1G isn't concerned with the ACC either. Unlike the Big 12 however, the ACC might have teams that the B1G wants.

Maybe Mark but let's face it, if Stanford agreed to join the ACC verbally and then the Big 10 offered, do you think Stanford would turn the Big 10 down? I don't, not with 4 former PAC schools there.
Why you try to sign contracts ASAP.

Too bad Oregon and UW weren't still available or the AZ twins and UT.

Why you try to sign contracts ASAP.

Too bad Oregon and UW weren't still available
So is the Stanford/Cal talks to the ACC officially dead?
If so, are they holding out on the B12 to see if ACC changes its mind or hoping B1G takes them instead?
I need answers! lol

If so, are they holding out on the B12 to see if ACC changes its mind or hoping B1G takes them instead?
I need answers! lol
No insider knowledge, I am just guessing that before the smoke settles Stanford, SMU will be members of the ACC, both have huge financial backing, and the ability to buy in would seem there is a # that would get them in playing power 5 football. Could certainly be wrong, but powerful people want it to happen, and the endowments of the University coupled with powerful boosters I imagine they can find a way to get one extra vote. Maybe I am wrong but usually $$ has a way of solving issues.

So the B12 wouldn't take Cal? If they take Cal they are at 17 and need 1 more. The choices are UConn, Tulane, Memphis, USF, or San Diego State. UConn is the worst at FB but best at BBall. Also their TV market (Hartford) is about the same as San Diego and better than New Orleans and Memphis (USF takes the DMA cake). If their commissioner is really all in on BBall and being in the Northeast, he will push for UConn.
I am guessing big 12 is happy at 16 for the forceable future. I will let the article that came out yesterday speak for itself

I need answers! lol
some articles say Stanford and SMU could happen soon, the issue is cal has so much debt they cant take a partial share or no share to start

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom