ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 220 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

I think it would be fine to add the three teams at no share(SMU and maybe Stanford) and at a partial share(Cal is bleeding red ink and would probably go MWC just to get some money vs nothing from the ACC for several years). However, there is an agenda from certain members to wreck the conference and I don’t see any of the 4 no votes flipping, just need one to flip and not lose any yes votes but still don’t see it happening

Maybe its me and my old school bygone days mentality, but how are the logistics gonna work for Stanford in Palo Alto, & Cal in Berkeley?
It just seems so unwieldy at this point, and unless there's some ND extra-game incentive, or a kick-in extra bucks from our ESPN overlords, I just don't see the sense in it. To expand just for expansion sake? Just seems kinda pointless.
I know patience is a dirty word when it comes to CR, but why not wait it out a bit more, instead of adding more mouths? JMHO

SEC is, by far, the most talented conference. As I noted, they could be HQ'd in Barbados for all that matters.

Big East was in Providence and how did that conference end up taking on the new world order? Not well.

No MSG for bball, no aggressive national expansion, continuing to allow power to be concentrated in NC with a number of those teams trying to break the ACC.

The HQ is unimportant if it's in a vacuum and everything else is totally fine. B1G is in Chicago. Big XII is in Irving within the DFW area that will be third largest metro area within the decade.

So congrats to the SEC, they do get to be wherever they want. The ACC does not.

Have to imagine zero recruits have chosen a school based on the conference headquarters. Don’t really see a tv deal being better because of a conference hq location, maybe better executive networking but does that translate to $? Who actually works at these places, a bunch of ops people? Makes sense to have located central to the majority of the schools in the conference. Just don’t see what would change if ACC hq was in NYC for example. Charlotte is an easy city for all schools to reach.

Instead of evenly splitting revenue from the College Football Playoff and NCAA men's basketball tournament, such money will be distributed based on a school’s athletic success.

some were wondering what is being distributed unequally
Use academic rankings as at least 50%.

Maybe its me and my old school bygone days mentality, but how are the logistics gonna work for Stanford in Palo Alto, & Cal in Berkeley?
It just seems so unwieldy at this point, and unless there's some ND extra-game incentive, or a kick-in extra bucks from our ESPN overlords, I just don't see the sense in it. To expand just for expansion sake? Just seems kinda pointless.
I know patience is a dirty word when it comes to CR, but why not wait it out a bit more, instead of adding more mouths? JMHO
for non division sports it won't be an issue. other sports you can have tournaments where they host

if we decide to add a 4th im assuming it will be closer to current footprint

I say let Stanford in but in the interest of conference branding and ease of transport they must agree to move their campus to within a 4 hour drive of the Atlantic Ocean. Give em 3 years to make the move. Also they must agree to cut Lampson and sponsor his new syracuse NIL deal. And last but not least they must change their block S logo. They can keep it if they turn it backwards as a sign of respect to the real block S school.

Add UNM as school #4 to get the ACC into the coveted Albuquerque market.
Are You Sure Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

I say let Stanford in but in the interest of conference branding and ease of transport they must agree to move their campus to within a 4 hour drive of the Atlantic Ocean. Give em 3 years to make the move. Also they must agree to cut Lampson and sponsor his new syracuse NIL deal. And last but not least they must change their block S logo. They can keep it if they turn it backwards as a sign of respect to the real block S school.
This all seems reasonable.

Those Stanford people are smart. All they need to do is drag California to State College.

The B1G and ACC get nicer footprints. Colorado and most of the B12 gets destroyed but no one likes them and they were too big anyway.

Penn State is lost. Another win for the world.

Best of all, it will be a lot easier for me to play Pebble Beach.

Sweet.

This whole recent saga strikes me as similar to kids trying out for youth hockey clubs.

“I didn’t make the AA team near me?! Well, then I’m gonna join the “AA” team 90 miles away that’s actually worse than the A team near me that I made. Because I need to be on an AA team to get into a division 1 school! And my parents are all in on this plan!”

This is all so friggin’ dumb.

A couple things I think:

I think Stanford / Cal or Stanford / SMU gets done soon. I think the ACC needs to play some chess here….the goal is to really be the best 3rd conference.

Big12 was brilliant getting the last big contract by sitting at the table before PAC. But it’s going to flip on them by having to renegotiate before the ACC.

The ACC needs to stay together long enough for that contract to come back up and their grant of rights to expire. Big12 could be looking at a reduction of revenue.

Then the ACC can poach the BiG12….and use that pro rata clause to offer more money to a couple of big 12 schools and essentially win the match. We may still lose FSU clemson Etc….but there will be in position to be a clear cut #3.

A couple things I think:

I think Stanford / Cal or Stanford / SMU gets done soon. I think the ACC needs to play some chess here….the goal is to really be the best 3rd conference.

Big12 was brilliant getting the last big contract by sitting at the table before PAC. But it’s going to flip on them by having to renegotiate before the ACC.

The ACC needs to stay together long enough for that contract to come back up and their grant of rights to expire. Big12 could be looking at a reduction of revenue.

Then the ACC can poach the BiG12….and use that pro rata clause to offer more money to a couple of big 12 schools and essentially win the match. We may still lose FSU clemson Etc….but there will be in position to be a clear cut #3.
2029-2031 is gonna be wild.

Those Stanford people are smart. All they need to do is drag California to State College.

The B1G and ACC get nicer footprints. Colorado and most of the B12 gets destroyed but no one likes them and they were too big anyway.

Penn State is lost. Another win for the world.

Best of all, it will be a lot easier for me to play Pebble Beach.

Sweet.
Not to brag, but I took this pic the night before I played Pebble. We stayed in a house on the first fairway. The course was glorious. No wind, so it wasn’t crazy. The entire round all I did was marvel at the beauty.

Attachments

• IMG_8942.jpeg
    IMG_8942.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 60
Not to brag, but I took this pic the night before I played Pebble. We stayed in a house on the first fairway. The course was glorious. No wind, so it wasn’t crazy. The entire round all I did was marvel at the beauty.
Jack Nicklaus once said if he one round of golf to play, it would be Pebble Beach. There is no higher praise than that.

im sure for ND to add a 6th game they will want a bigger cut than the 20 % they get now

It’ll still be less than what a poor performing FSU program thinks they should get.

The Big 10 is dealing with the same travel issues/logistics with their new four west coast teams.

Last edited:
A couple things I think:

That’s what I’ve been saying for the past few months. The ACC is already well behind the Big 10 and SEC. That’s a lost cause unless Notre Dame does a 180 and decides to join the ACC. The goal now is to outflank the Big 12 as the third best conference. That should have been the plan once USC and UCLA announced their departure and then when there was heat from the Big 12 about adding the Four Corner schools. I wanted Washington, Oregon, Arizona, ASU, Stanford and Utah as a bare minimum west coast flank. The ACC should have been putting the full court press on those schools last winter and spring and pitching them on why the ACC was the best option (over the Big 12), especially being able to add west coast/later night content to the ACC network.

That’s what I’ve been saying for the past few months. The ACC is already well behind the Big 10 and SEC. That’s a lost cause unless Notre Dame does a 180 and decides to join the ACC. The goal now is to outflank the Big 12 as the third best conference. That should have been the plan once USC and UCLA announced their departure and then when there was heat from the Big 12 about adding the Four Corner schools. I wanted Washington, Oregon, Arizona, ASU, Stanford and Utah as a bare minimum west coast flank. The ACC should have been putting the full court press on those schools last winter and spring and pitching them on why the ACC was the best option (over the Big 12), especially being able to add west coast/later night content to the ACC network.

Reports say the ACC had been in talks with numerous schools for awhile. Not sure why the narrative the ACC just sat on its hands keeps getting thrown around. If you add let’s say 4-6 schools who add less value than the average of the current conference. You’re diluting the conference payout per school. There’s already schools complaining they aren’t getting enough $$$.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom