ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 219 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Sure but that’s pro football, which is the most popular sport in America. There are in fact Syracuse fans all over upstate New York, from Buffalo to Albany, Watertown to Binghamton. When Cuse is good, the fans come out. We just need to get consistently good again.

IMO, this is completely true. If that statement that OExtreme is actually accurate, it overwhelmingly has to do with football being so incredibly consistently bad for so long. Syracuse University bears the name of the city in which it sits, therefore, although a private institution, has this relatively unique distinction. And, in doing so, it predominantly captures the (only game in town) region in which you've alluded to even if not attending school there.

Syracuse basketball draws decent crowds everywhere for the most part. I'd would bet that attendance of these away from Syracuse games routinely have a significant amount of townie type, etc. in nature that identified with a winner. The same could've been/could be for football too had the gridiron results not have been so putrid for as long as it has.

You’re talking about the current situation driven by linear tv. And you support a team that will probably be leaving.

This gravy train is going to be reduced.

Is it that bad to have a team that represents what will be the third largest DMA within the decade and is flush with cash for support of the football team in spades? Two others from NoCal, one of which has a portion of its operating budget from its $40bn endowment that supersedes most total endowments from ACC schools?

UConn can kick rocks.

Again, if this was a serious conference, the HQ wouldn’t be in Greensboro or Charlotte.

Including Charlotte in your "serious" sentiment, well, is just flat out foolish on your behalf, IMO. Charlotte is an amazing city. It's one of the largest banking and insurance cities in the country, now has the 6th busiest airport, great companies, jobs, etc. and continues to grow by leaps and bounds.

The ACC roots are from here. And, with such a great city, metro area and vicinity region as Charlotte is, it is, in all probability, the best place for its headquarters to be moving forward.

Including Charlotte in your "serious" sentiment, well, is just flat out foolish on your behalf, IMO. Charlotte is an amazing city. It's one of the largest banking and insurance cities in the country, now has the 6th busiest airport, great companies, jobs, etc. and continues to grow by leaps and bounds.

The ACC roots are from here. And, with such a great city, metro area and vicinity region as Charlotte is, it is, in all probability, the best place for its headquarters to be moving forward.
I believe Charlotte is like 4x bigger than Birmington Alabama where the SEC Headquarters is located. The Big east in it's hey day, was in Providence. Not any of the major cities in the leagues footprint. The location of a league headquarters is unimportant.

I believe Charlotte is like 4x bigger than Birmington Alabama where the SEC Headquarters is located. The Big east in it's hey day, was in Providence. Not any of the major cities in the leagues footprint. The location of a league headquarters is unimportant.

Perhaps. Just arguing the sentiment that if the ACC was "serious" it would've chosen NYC for its headquarters vs. Charlotte. Moreover, lumping Charlotte in with Greensboro is simply foolish IMO.

When this thing blows up to the point of football needing to break away (which is inevitable), I think the Haves are going to vehemently oppose the have nots. Everyone is free to break away from their former alliances.

Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State will not be willing to earn the same revenue as Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, Northwestern. Vandy will be gone. They'll decide on the minimably viable number of teams that holds national interest/maximizes the media deal, and keep all the money between themselves.

Sad to say, but SU won't be in the AAA. But that's fine, I'd be perfectly happy in AA with BC, Pitt, Maryland, Rutgers, West Virginia, etc.

Sorry, UConn, but you're in either A ball or Rookie.
Yep. Since it is inevitable and fine, let's just get this over with and start rebuilding rivalries at least. And hopefully severing football and basketball will keep basketball AAA

It was interesting to see who voted against Cal and Stanford coming in. Clemson fsu etc. was actually shocked by that

If Notre Dame wants this to happen they should give the ACC a 6th game. Which will also make ESPN happy. With 17 full members that means ND plays everyone home and away every 6 years. There will be 2 extra games to be played over those 6 years which you can allow ND to chose who they play. It can be one school (so 4x over 6 years) or two schools (both 3x over 6 years).

With 17 it is a bit hard to schedule, but with the 6 ND games you can prevent late season bye weeks. As to the conference schedule I think you need to go 4 + 4/4/4 rotated. Which means you play non perm rivals home and away over 6 years. So for SU it would mean 2 California trips in 6 years, and one Texas trip.

The perm rivals I would go with the below. That protects every series played over 57x except Duke vs UVA (70x). Which makes up for games lost under the current format.

BC- SU, Pitt, Miami, Stanford (add Stanford)
Clemson- Wake, NC State, GA Tech, FSU (add Wake)
Duke- UNC, Wake, GA Tech, NC State (add GA Tech)
FSU- Miami, Clemson, SU, Louisville (add Louisville)
GA Tech- Duke, Clemson, UVA, Cal (adding Duke, UVA, Cal and losing Louisville, Wake)
Louisville- Miami, VA Tech, FSU, SMU (adding VA Tech, FSU, SMU and losing GA Tech, UVA)
Miami- FSU, BC, Louisville, SMU (add SMU)
UNC- UVA, Wake, Duke, NC State (add Wake)
NC State- Wake, UNC, Clemson, Duke (add Wake)
Pitt- SU, BC, VA Tech, Cal (add Cal)
SU- Pitt, BC, VA Tech, FSU (add VA Tech)
UVA- UNC, VA Tech, GA Tech, Stanford (add GA Tech, Stanford and lose Louisville)
VA Tech- UVA, Pitt, SU, Louisville (add SU, Louisville and lose Wake)
Wake- NC State, UNC, Duke, Clemson (add NC State, UNC, Clemson and lose GA Tech, VA Tech)
Cal- Stanford, SMU, GA Tech, Pitt
SMU- Cal, Stanford, Louisville, Miami
Stanford- Cal, SMU, BC, UVA

SEC is, by far, the most talented conference. As I noted, they could be HQ'd in Barbados for all that matters.

Big East was in Providence and how did that conference end up taking on the new world order? Not well.

No MSG for bball, no aggressive national expansion, continuing to allow power to be concentrated in NC with a number of those teams trying to break the ACC.

The HQ is unimportant if it's in a vacuum and everything else is totally fine. B1G is in Chicago. Big XII is in Irving within the DFW area that will be third largest metro area within the decade.

So congrats to the SEC, they do get to be wherever they want. The ACC does not.

Like I said earlier it was just my educated guess, but all the sudden the Twitter Rumors and some sports journalists are saying there is a lot of movement going toward ACC expanding. I bet SMU and Stanford pay their way in. Stanford literally does not have a football schedule for next year as of now. I can only imagine what that would cost if it does happen to make one of the 4 no votes change their mind. Cal is interesting because they are broke, no way they can afford to not take revenue or buy in. I also cant imagine the ACC only adding 3? but who would be the 4th?

If Notre Dame wants this to happen they should give the ACC a 6th game. Which will also make ESPN happy. With 17 full members that means ND plays everyone home and away every 6 years. There will be 2 extra games to be played over those 6 years which you can allow ND to chose who they play. It can be one school (so 4x over 6 years) or two schools (both 3x over 6 years).

With 17 it is a bit hard to schedule, but with the 6 ND games you can prevent late season bye weeks. As to the conference schedule I think you need to go 4 + 4/4/4 rotated. Which means you play non perm rivals home and away over 6 years. So for SU it would mean 2 California trips in 6 years, and one Texas trip.

The perm rivals I would go with the below. That protects every series played over 57x except Duke vs UVA (70x). Which makes up for games lost under the current format.

BC- SU, Pitt, Miami, Stanford (add Stanford)
Clemson- Wake, NC State, GA Tech, FSU (add Wake)
Duke- UNC, Wake, GA Tech, NC State (add GA Tech)
FSU- Miami, Clemson, SU, Louisville (add Louisville)
GA Tech- Duke, Clemson, UVA, Cal (adding Duke, UVA, Cal and losing Louisville, Wake)
Louisville- Miami, VA Tech, FSU, SMU (adding VA Tech, FSU, SMU and losing GA Tech, UVA)
Miami- FSU, BC, Louisville, SMU (add SMU)
UNC- UVA, Wake, Duke, NC State (add Wake)
NC State- Wake, UNC, Clemson, Duke (add Wake)
Pitt- SU, BC, VA Tech, Cal (add Cal)
SU- Pitt, BC, VA Tech, FSU (add VA Tech)
UVA- UNC, VA Tech, GA Tech, Stanford (add GA Tech, Stanford and lose Louisville)
VA Tech- UVA, Pitt, SU, Louisville (add SU, Louisville and lose Wake)
Wake- NC State, UNC, Duke, Clemson (add NC State, UNC, Clemson and lose GA Tech, VA Tech)
Cal- Stanford, SMU, GA Tech, Pitt
SMU- Cal, Stanford, Louisville, Miami
Stanford- Cal, SMU, BC, UVA
ND might possibly agree to the 6th ACC game if it can be Stanford. Stanford is not on the ND schedule after the 2024 season but there is room on the ND schedule to put Stanford.

ND might possibly agree to the 6th ACC game if it can be Stanford. Stanford is not on the ND schedule after the 2024 season but there is room on the ND schedule to put Stanford.
im sure for ND to add a 6th game they will want a bigger cut than the 20 % they get now

That should be the cost of the Yes vote for Stanford, Cal, and SMU. ND can't push for those three and not give up anything.
Yes but ND is not going to get the money it wants from NBC on its next media contract so they will try to get some extra

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom